i know a spot where you won't get caught
Aisha Khai
Swordmaster / Deepfrost Shield / Guildmaster

Age: 28 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Chachy Offline
Change author:
MP: 1615
The wry smile and witty remark brought a smile to her face, but as he continued on, delving into the grit of the topic the smile slowly disintegrated. Fire pumpkins with teeth? Vines that could lash out and pull you to a gargling maw? Vampire Gourds made for a gruesome mental picture, but at the same time she wanted to see one for herself. Sounded pretty wicked, in both meanings of the word.

"So they just kinda roll around all the time?" she asked, still trying to evaluate the immediacy of the threat. Just how worried did the girl need to be about the next thing landing on her foot being a vicious gourd monster?

The weight was shifted with a fluid motion from Jigano's arm to Aisha's, she let the bag rest at the crook of her elbow, settling it in comfortably as if it were her own satchel. "It's definitely the least I could do," she replied to his thanks with a soft smile, finding herself very quickly warming up to the gentle advisor.

Deimos, a busy man, and clearly one to remember. Her interest perked when he mentioned general, and the militia. Now this was far more where her talents lie, in the physical. Aisha was trained in swordsmanship, and wouldn't mind picking up a blade again. If not to spar then just to feel the familiar balance, the cool metal against her warm toned fingertips. Monster Hunter's guild was also an interest grabber, "If you have a whole guild centered around monsters I'm assuming they're a pretty big problem?" she asked, wanting to know more about the dangers of the world she was now a part of.

AISHA
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5695
"Thankfully not all the time." He grimaced a little at the thought of being menaced by the ungodly gourds year-round. "They seem to be a Leafchange - ah, autumn - ...crop? I don't actually know what a group of them is called. I'm going to have to look that up," he mused thoughtfully, mostly to himself as he made a mental note to add it to the list of Loreseeker questions for the guild to research. "A 'squash' of Vampire Gourds, maybe? Or perhaps 'crop' really is the best term. Ah, sorry," even recovering from anger he couldn't help but be a little sheepish. "I tend to get distracted by questions in need of answers, sometimes a bit too easily. But we only see them this time of year. When the snows come, they'll either die off or go back to wherever it is they spend the winter." Another question to pursue, though perhaps Fangorn could help with that. And speaking of...

"There is one Vampire Gourd that made a companion bond with a person. You can tell him apart easily from his more dangerous brethren - he'll be the one not trying to bite you," he added helpfully. "Bonded with Melita. Young lady with red curly hair and a staff. Likes to shoot things with arrows or set them on fire. I think she's spending more time in Torchline these days, though, and less here."

The transfer of the groceries went smoothly, thankfully, and the tour continued without issue. Aisha's question on monsters was a good one, and Jigano nodded approvingly at her quick thinking and logic. "Every couple of months, it seems. There's quite a list of things to look out for. I can give you a copy of a little booklet my guild has made for Outlanders, detailing the more unusual Flora and Fauna of this region when we get to the Atheneum." He looked over at the guild, lips pulling into a frown as Isuma shivered and reeped softly in his arms. "Have you heard about LongNight yet? The monsters that walk the night then are particularly deadly... we're trying to get all those willing to relocate for the week to do so, to try and cut down on fatalities this year."
Aisha Khai

Age: 28 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Aisha nodded at his response, glad to hear that the gourds were more of a temporary problem. He apologized for having retreated a moment into his musings, though Aisha saw no reason for it. A quick shake of her head and wave of her hand, "You're fine," was her reply. She too was partial to tangents, and for all she knew the proper verbiage was an important bit of info. Everything he said was being taken in, and every bit helped.

"That's good," she agreed in response to him saying that they would go by winter. The next thing he explained prompted a quirk of her brow, "You can bond with them? So they're alive alive? Like animals not like fly traps or something?"

The notion of monsters didn't frighten her necessarily, she'd always been rather able at defending herself, and she somehow assumed they couldn't be that bad. That was surely just a miscommunication, but Aisha wouldn't really understand the natures of the beasts until she met one. A guide would be appreciated, but it's nothing like the real thing to a curious skeptic like her.

"I'd like that," she replied, shifting his bag to the other arm as they continued on. A frown scrawled over her features when he began to speak of longnight. She'd heard of it yeah, but didn't know exactly how dangerous it might be. Fatality was a sweeping word, she looked up from the road at him when he spoke it, clearly concerned. "All I know is it's dangerous, and people hole up for a couple weeks while it's happening," she replied, obvious in her look and description that she was aware of it being more than she had so far been told.

AISHA
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
He gave her a grateful nod for her understanding of his meandering scholasticism, and focused back on her original question, also glad that they didn't have to worry about the vegetative villains year-round. Her follow-up earned a curious look, however. Engaging him with questions and nudging him into the role of guide and teacher was the surest way to soothe ruffled feathers and warm him towards someone, and as he calmed so did Isuma, the bond resonating with their shared emotional link. "Did your world not have sentient plants?" Many didn't, he was finding, but his personal experience with Viper Vines on his own world had given him a healthy respect for carnivorous flowers. "They're very much alive, and generally angry when they see humans, though Fangorn is quite nice. He and Isuma play together quite well."

He nodded, making a note to give her one of the extra booklets from last season's lecture on the topic, but LongNight was a more deadly consideration and his expression turned grim. "It lasts one week," he explained, glancing over to see how seriously she was taking the news. "One week without natural light of any kind. No sun, no moon, no stars. I don't know why or how, but the whole world goes dark, except for what light you've managed to gather for yourself. Candles, torches, lanterns, and the like. In the other regions it seems to be a time of quiet contemplation and togetherness with family, but here in the Hollowed Grounds there are creatures that come out during that week, things that were once Ascended but... failed. They seem to resent the living and seek out magic and the technological upgrades of their brethren, killing any people they can reach. Locked doors and silence mostly keeps them at bay, but anyone found outdoors, or a building that too obviously contains living souls will draw them." His expression held both mourning and frustration at the creatures and the personal toll they had taken among his friends. "We'll be holding a town gathering about it soon, to share information with the Outlanders that have arrived in the past year, to tell people how to protect themselves and how to prepare, though it might be worth considering going to another region entirely for the week. We're hoping Governor Remi will keep Torchline open to us..." He trailed off, his smile turning a little bittersweet as he nodded towards a building from which delicious smells wafted as they passed.

"On a lighter note, this is Devas Bakery, run by Amalia Chandrakant. If you need a meal or just want a treat, I highly recommend her breads and pastries." Isuma wriggled free of his arms at that, taking to the wing to trill her interest and disappear to the garden behind the building, seeking her friend Jyoti.
Aisha Khai

Change author:
Not realizing that he wasn't being sarcastic, an amused scoff escaped her mouth. Sentient plants? Definitely not. Plants far more colorful and diverse than the ones she'd seen so far here? Absolutely, but none of them could think for themselves and actively bond with or victimize anyone. It was only when he continued on without the usual tells of a joke that she realized he was not in fact being cheeky, and that maybe she really just ought to expect these things at this point.

The mental image of a murderous (or not so murderous apparently, varying from each individual gourd to the next) pumpkin and the small gryphon playing together was pretty funny, the humor in it painting a grin upon her lips. "That's pretty wild," she remarked, then realizing it might sound judgy she corrected, "or at least for me! I mean I'm just not used to gryphons and living squash so it sounds kinda crazy."

Eyes back on the road ahead, a motivated bounce in her step. Even after the rough start which could've easily spoiled her day, she found herself even more invigorated now than she had before. Maybe it was because of Jigano's openness and willingness to teach, or maybe she was just in a good mood. Either way it felt good to be walking down the street with a companion, someone who could lead the way and share her burdens, and her theirs.

Longnight didn't necessarily dull the mood, but it was certainly more serious topic than their other discussed subjects. Her eyes drifted between the man and the land around her, both taking in his words as well as the many new things she'd hoped to explore today. Jigano did well of summarizing, leaving no base unmet. Meetings were certainly a good way to get the word out as well, and whether or not she'd gathered enough information to make what she believed to be an informed decision about the macabre week, she thought it was still probably something to attend.

His mention of keeping torchline open to them brought a question to her lips, one she uttered with some gestures to accompany, "So I've heard about portaling and different regions, but how exactly does that work? If you don't mind talking about it," the last bit was added when she realized that perhaps she was dogging the man for answers he wasn't necessarily obliged to give. After all they'd only just met, she'd kicked his companion, and he'd simply been out on a grocery run, probably not expecting to deal with an energetic newcomer like her.

The scent of the bakery hit her far before his words did, it was the sweetest smell she'd come across perhaps even before she'd come to Caido. A bakery, the idea brought another contented purr to her tongue, a soft hum in her throat as she appreciated the luxury and simplicity of a bakery. It wasn't a guild for fighting monsters, or a portal to another world. It was just a place for bakers to bake and share their pleasures. At least she thought, and it was a warm thought to have on a brisk fall day.

"Do you have to pay? Is there money here?" she asked as they paused, watching Isuma squirm from her bonded's grasp and bound towards the building.

AISHA
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"My world had gryphons, but I never actually saw any until I came here. So far I've only seen the ones that have hatched from eggs to bond with humans. It had some pretty nasty sentient plants, too... those I did have a few run-ins with. I'll tell you about the Wicker Women when we get to the Atheneum," he added, taking no offense at her mistakes but hoping he could convince her of the seriousness of some of the threats.

LongNight seemed far away in the bright autumn sunshine, but just talking about it sent a shiver down Jigano's spine, and he was glad to see that Aisha listened with solemn attention to his warnings. Torchline was sounding better and better as a place to spend the winter, but there was the issue of how to get there... an issue Aisha touched no with unexpected perspicacity, and Jigano gave her a wry smile and a tilt of his head in acknowledgment of her sharp senses. "I don't mind. As I said, it's my job, and one I chose because it's also my calling. As for portals... It's a complicated topic," he admitted freely. "The portals were created by the Voice, a goddess who stands apart from and against the rest of the gods of this world. Using them is convenient, but also... mm. Not 'dangerous,' but it does make people more dependent on and accepting of her power. The first few portals were opened through murder and destruction, her followers killing those who sought to defend their land or their lives. So there is a certain moral quandary in making too much free use of them," he admitted with an uncomfortable grimace. "But using them is easy enough. Within the basement of the Spire--" he nodded towards the looming black obelisk in the distance, "you'll find a pillar of light. Step into it, and you'll find yourself in a grey, featureless place. Aany step you take will bring you to a signpost, with the different regions written on it. Simply take a take a step in the direction of the region you want to go to and you'll come to a sort of window looking out upon it. Step through that window and you'll arrive at your destination. If you go to Halo you'll arrive in a cave in the mountains. Torchline will let you out in an alley in Kaiholo Port, and the Greatwood will let you out at the Mathair, in the middle of the Wildwood."

Amalia's bakery proved a welcome and warming change of pace, and he smiled truly as Isuma perked up and went seeking her friend. Aisha's question brought the first real chuckle to the bard as he smiled fondly at the gryphon and the bakery both. "Amalia never charges, not for those that truly need it. She's a pious woman, and a kind one. As for money... always the hardest thing to get used to." He shook his head ruefully. "No, there is no money. It's an economy of bartered goods, trades, and favors. If you don't have an artisan's skills you can hunt for meat or gather nuts, mushrooms, berries, and such from the Woodlands. If you aren't woods-wise, you can chop wood or offer simple labor, helping to move goods or wait tables or fix a leaking roof. Once you get established as a reliable individual you can promise future favors against items you want now, or you can work ahead and earn a tab of goodwill for things a merchant might owe you later. My Guild does a fair amount for the community throughout the year, so I can generally get our usual supplies for the Hall from those who've come to us for assistance previously," he added, nodding to the bag of groceries Aisha still carried.
Aisha Khai

Change author:
His world, meaning not this one. Jigano was an outlander like her, and she wondered if he too missed the world he'd been ripped from. She didn't feel like pressing him about it now, maybe if they became further acquainted she'd dig a bit at his past and his personal feelings about it all. For now the girl was content to keep it a teaching experience, to learn what she could about this world while she had the chance.

"She sounds lovely," she said with a hint of sarcasm, despite not knowing the origins of the Wicker Woman the name alone sun an unsettling tune.

After the talk of Longnight they spoke of portals, Jigano explaining to the best of his ability. She'd imagined the portals to be ovular, but his description was no mere mirror to reality. It was a bit more complicated of a process, with a complicated history. Aisha visibly darkened at the mention of The Voice, who since coming here had been the subject of her ire. From what she understood, the goddess was the reason she was here, and that was more than enough reason to spite her.

"How often do you travel?" she asked, sort of meandering around the question of how often they were used. She'd maybe gain some more insight into his life as well, she was always happy to get to know those around her.

The sugary scents of the bakery came to rest on her senses, she could feel her mouth begin to water just thinking about a the taste of honey rolls and cinnamon. Aisha's eyes widened when he said there was no money, though the more he explained the methods of transaction she felt it might not be bad at all. It put to shame the hierarchy and social status that she was used to, that left so many behind but had given people like her the best, and she found herself admiring it.

"That's really cool actually, I guess I'll just need to find something worth trading then," she remarked.

AISHA
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"You'll find she's the clingy type," Jigano said dryly, but left it at that for now. There would be time later to go over the Hollowed Grounds' more dangerous inhabitants and what to look out for should Aisha venture far from the more civilized Settlement with its friendly neighborhood stone golems.

He didn't miss her glower at the Voice's name and made note of it, wondering who else she'd spoken with to give her that reaction. One he whole-heartedly agreed with, in point of fact, but curiosity was his callsign, and one she must have deduced already for she pounced on a more personal aspect of portal travel that had him wincing sheepishly. "Ah. More than I should, probably," he admitted with a faint grimace. "I'm... I was a wanderer by nature, before I came here. I've found my roots but I still have a habit of poking my long nose in places it doesn't belong." He tapped his sharp nose wryly. "And I make use of the portals in spite of how much I dislike who made them, or how unclean they make me feel. Curiosity is my vice of choice, and I'm as much a slave to it as other men are to strong drink or beautiful women." Not an admission he gave lightly, for it didn't paint him in a particularly flattering light, but the portals were a particularly touchy subject at the moment and he granted Aisha the same brutal honesty that he forced himself to confront.

Barter was a topic he was glad to switch to, and he began to lead the way again, heading towards the Sanctuary and the cluster of larger buildings that marked it. "I don't think you'll have much trouble," he offered, encouraging. "What sort of skills did you have on your world?"
Aisha Khai

Change author:
Aisha could tell the man was one of strong morals, in the grimace he gave along with his answer. While she too was a creature born of curiosity, they differed in that while he used the portals in spite of his misgivings, she was far more likely to spurn the object of her resentment for no more reason than resenting it. The fact that the Voice created the portals was enough to make her scorn them, no matter how much she wanted to adventure. At least for some time.

Aisha's vice was acrimony, oh how she loved to hold a grudge and have someone to blame.

She replied with a nod, "That's fair, I'm definitely not judging you for it," she replied, her own feelings not getting in the way of understanding his. They soon began to walk again, the conversation having steered towards the barter system, and her skills. Aisha gave a playfully lilting hum in reply, "Back on my world I didn't have a specific trade of my own, but I guess you could say I was a warrior. Not sure who would want a spar in return for a pastry though."

There were other things she'd enjoyed, but learning to fight and lead was really all a princess ever needed to be good at. Diplomacy wasn't quite an equitable trade either, though perhaps charm could be useful somewhere. Other than that she'd only dabbled here and there, gathering information and moving on quickly, incapable of settling.

AISHA
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Acrimony was something Jigano was well-familiar with, and Aisha would find a kindred spirit if they ever discovered a shared grudge. Perhaps it was for the best that in these early days neither knew the other well enough to go down that path, and her easy acceptance of his failings earned a warm and grateful smile.

He always enjoyed hearing of far away worlds, both like and unlike his own, and a silver brow rose at her curious phrasing. "What would you describe yourself as?" he asked, wondering what she would call herself if she thought he would call her a warrior. "And you might be surprised. Given the amount of things here that can be dangerous, there are always those looking to improve their skills at defense - and offense," he added, wryly amused. "Myself included." Isuma didn't make a reappearance, but Jigano didn't seem worried as they began the trek towards the Temple, Atheneum, and Infirmary. Connected as he was through their bond he knew she had found her playmate and was in the process of garnering sympathy and treats as only a small, adorable gryphon could.

"What is your world like? Is it very different from here?"
Aisha Khai

Change author:
What would she describe herself as? Back then she would've said, Aisha Khai, princess of the Khai and heir to the throne. But she carried no fancy titles now, those gratifications belonged meant nothing but a sweetly flavored memory that she would never taste again. Most of the titles and privileges she'd carried were birthright, none of them really surmised who she was as an individual.

So how to describe yourself when your whole life was other people describing you? It was hard, and brought a crease to her forehead as she thought. Too much thought all in all, for a simple question, but she came up with her answer, "Someone who likes to use her sword I guess," she said. Warrior seemed a bit grandeur, but something she'd strive to be. "I'd like to be a great warrior, I hope I still can."

It seemed she'd sparked a bit of interest, the silver haired man poking into her history. She'd set off today to forget about it, to push her old life to the decrepit corners of her mind, yet here she was preparing to lay it out for him. Funny how that happens, "It wasn't too different... but it's also nothing the same. If that makes sense. The grass is still green and the people are still people, but things are new and things are missing."

"Like back home, everyone was a shifter, or I mean attuned. There were no vampires or people with no shift, or magic users. Having another skin is natural, or was, where I'm from," it was hard to kick the present tense phrasing, to think about her home as part of the past. But it was, and she simply had to come to accept that.

AISHA
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He smiled ruefully at her answer, thinking of another friend a world away who would have taken a shine to her straightforward honesty - and love of the blade - immediately. "Some of my best friends have liked to use swords," he said softly before shaking off the veil of memories and looking to Aisha once more. "You'll find plenty of opportunity to sharpen blade and skills alike, here. And the sooner you meet Deimos the better," he added with a chuckle. "Did your sword make it through the portal with you?"

Her description drew an understanding nod from her fellow Outlander, at least until she went into specifics and he raised a brow, fascinated in spite of their rough introduction. "Were you born with your shift?" he asked eagerly, a spark of hope at finding someone else who understood in his voice. "Was it normal for your people to have a form that walked upright and had thumbs, but otherwise had mostly the traits of your animal?"
Aisha Khai

Change author:
His wistful comment about his friends using swords brought a soft hum to her lips. Since training with the soldiers of her capitol's army from a young age she'd grown up beside many warriors. Some were rivals and some were her closest allies. Some had learned by her side, whether they be noble children or the average enlistee. The guard was her second family, and thinking about that brought a bitter grind to her teeth.

Luckily he continued on and she was able to push the thoughts from her mind. The name Deimos came up again, clearly he was the one to go to for a woman of her interests. He asked about her sword with a small chuckle, this wasn't as painful a loss but it was inconvenient. She shook her head and chuckled back, "I wish, it wasn't on me when I went through," was her response.

More questions about her home, though he seemed particularly excited about certain aspects. She wondered if he had experience with that kind of trait, the codominance of man and creature. "Yes we were born with them, our shifts reflect on who we are. But uh, no we were either human or animal, no in between."

AISHA
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He arched a brow at hearing that she'd lost her weapon, and nodded thoughtfully. "I might be able to get you a replacement," he offered cautiously, remembering her reaction to something new and strange - namely, Isuma - and how violence had been her first instinct. "A temporary one, at least, until you can get a proper one made to your specifications. And I can introduce to the finest smith in town for that. I've been trading with Old Smitty since I arrived," he added with a fond chuckle for the curmudgeonly old master smith. "He's as rude and impatient as they come, but he works wonders in the forge."

Jigano deflated a little at hearing that her people lacked the distinctive conformation of his own, but he wasn't terribly surprised. It seemed the kitsune and tengu, catfolk and kobolds of his world were uncommon in the greater multiverse. "Reflect who are you?" he pounced on curiously, though, as they neared the heart of Sanctuary, with its stone walls and the taller buildings within. "So... if your mother was a wolf and your father was a wolf, you were not guaranteed to be born a wolf as well?"