Training Wash the poison from off my skin
Loren
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
KORBIN
And round about his home the glory
That blushed and bloomed,
Lately, the number of things Korbin didn't like had expanded. Before, they had been few and far between. Hunting, fighting. Getting beat by his older siblings at hunting and fighting. But with every loss and tragedy in his family, as the precious few things he loved were taken from him, his dislikes increased. Change, for example. Reckless behaviour. Secrets, laziness, rudeness... and Outlanders. The latter, because they inhabited every other quality he had come loathe, and their presence forced on him the need to hunt, and would inevitably force him into fights too.

Still. Disliking something was never an excuse for not doing it, so just like most young men - and no few of the young women - he went to the old training ground in the morning, after chores were done. Most of the people he usually sparred with were out hunting, and the place was almost empty.

No matter; he could manage on his own if need be. Pealing off a layer of clothing, he began to warm up, letting his mind drift as he forced his body to follow the familiar, tedious patterns.
Is but a dim-remembered story
Of the old time entombed.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Loren had been flying above the Citadel, just trying to stretch his wings and tire himself out a bit. It was either that or turn to the bottle and he was trying his best to indulge in healthier habits in the face of his latest grief. As he wandered basically aimless, something below caught his eye.

Swooping down, he perched on the roof overlooking what appeared to a training ground. For a moment, he just watched Korbin warming up. Then, on a whim, the healer decided to see if the other man could possibly hear the Launceleyn. Need some help down there? His mental voice was polite and friendly, no hint of the annoyance he'd felt last time they'd run into each other one on one.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
KORBIN
Leave my loneliness unbroken!
- quit the bust above my door!
The boy stilled immediately when the voice reached him. His mind was sealed behind a thick wall, allowing no emotion to slip out. Still, there was a wariness in the way his eyes searched the area for the owner of the voice, scanning every street, alley and rooftop until he spotted the goose. And for a while he just watched it, considering, the tightly locked in emotions offering no hint of what he might be thinking.

Then he straightened and shifted, dark hair and dark eyes exchanged for even darker wings. The raven navigated the fickle winds between the buildings with effortless grace, until ebony claws found purchase on the rooftop next to Loren.

"Depends," the raven replied, "on what you think you could help with." The words were dry, emotionless, that barrier around his mind still in place. Like a sheet of obsidian, clear and black and seemingly impenetrable. Letting no one in. Letting nothing out. Beady black eyes offered nothing, and the clapping beak could imply anything.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
As Korbin shifted, Loren felt a slight amount of surprise course through him. It had been a shot in the dark, after all. Still, he wasn't mentally open either, similarly walled off. He did ruffle his feathers a bit and shift his feet before settling back down.

As the raven landed next to the goose, he shuffled over to give the other man some space. Letting out a honk, the Launceleyn turned his head to Korbin. I thought you might want to punch me. It came out in a self-deprecating and slightly teasing tone, though the offer was actually on the table as well.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
The raven blinked, shifting the wings slightly. It kept watching the goose with steady gaze, unreadable. As a man, the smile was the mask he hid behind. This was usually the form he let himself relax in, but... that was not appealing at all, now that there was someone around to see him. To feel what he was feeling.

"I don't punch people for no reason," came the reply. "If you're here to train, that's fine, but I've no interest in common brawling."

Stepping around on taloned feet, Korbin dropped off the roof in a death defying dive. At the last moment he spread the wings and banked, drawing a black line through the air until he was back on the same spot as before. There he shifted back into the man, and calmly resumed his warm up.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Korbin responded, it was all Loren could do to bite back on his initial snarky response. Instead, he just followed the other man down to the training ground, though the goose was much more casual about it. Landing, he shifted into the form of a honey badger. As it happens, I've been neglecting training with my animal shifts lately. Mind helping me out with that? Again, his thoughts were almost cooly polite, without a hint of the annoyance he felt.

It was hard to stay still in this form. Already, he had started to pad around Korbin, making a wide circle around the other man. All the Launceleyn was waiting for was the okay before he darted in on the attack.
DON'T CARE
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
The goose followed. Korbin took it to mean that Loren actually wanted to train... But instead of shifting to his human form, the healer took another animal guise instead. Korbin couldn't respond to the mental request, and whatever he felt remained under lock and key, but he couldn't quite control his face with the same iron will. The reluctance to square off against an animal was plain to see, as was the idea of fighting in the shift at all. It wasn't his idea of training, not the forms and motions his mother, brother and sister had drilled into him.

"Why, what's the point?" he asked, clearly not into it. "The animal knows what to do anyway." He wasn't sure he could bring himself to do anything against the little animal, even knowing he was a person. Especially knowing that...
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Korbin wrestled with the idea of fighting Loren in this form, he continued to pace around the other man, clearly growing more agitated the more time he spent in this form. When Korbin asked why, the healer paused for a brief moment, before resuming what was now basically a run. Because I haven't had these forms all that long, and I would rather not rely entirely on instinct if I need to use them.

Hopefully that would be a sufficient response. Still, if the other man refused, the Launceleyn wasn't going to force him to do something he was clearly so unwilling to do. That didn't mean Loren wasn't going to push Korbin. Look, I would honestly be shocked if you could actually do anything to hurt me. In this form or any other. It wasn't arrogance, just a statement of fact.
DON'T CARE
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
He didn't get it. Didn't see the need to fight the instincts of the shift, or the reason why he'd have to defend himself against it. Oh, he could definitely both hurt and kill anyone if he had to, animal or man - Korbin never had a reason to doubt that, except against his sister - but he didn't want to. Which was the main reason he didn't like fighting, or hunting. Hated causing pain.

The goading didn't get to him. If he was supposed to get angry and lash out, it failed. He just followed the pacing animal with his gaze, and couldn't see where the confidence came from. There were no animals like that in Halo, and Loren himself looked weedy and too thin, a good deal smaller than the tall, lean Korbin.

"I could kill you in a number of ways, and you wouldn't even know how I did it," he replied quietly, uneasy yet with a tone similar to Loren's. Like he was merely stating fact. "Doesn't mean I enjoy it. Or want to." He could spar, but really, he would definitely prefer to use his hands...

He made no move towards the animal.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
For another brief moment, Loren halted in his circling. Then he resumed it, and it took on the air of a predatory stalk. Is that so? Emotion had finally bled into his thoughts: amusement that Korbin thought he stood a chance against the healer in any form.

He picked up speed, changing direction slightly. Let's test that, shall we? That was all the warning the other man would get. The Launceleyn would spin on his feet, almost impossibly nimble, his body twisting more than seemed possible. Darting towards Korbin as fast as he could, Loren opened his jaws, hoping to nip the other man's ankle. Not enough to draw blood or hurt, just enough to prove the healer could.
DON'T CARE
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
The amusement skidded off Korbin's mental shield, and he shuddered away from the emotion that wasn't his own, finding he had to hold back the vehement urge to lash out against it. His feelings still didn't bleed through, but the jaw tightened, brow furrowing under the strain.

And suddenly he didn't have time to think, because Loren came charging at him with astonishing speed. Taken by surprise, Korbin still managed to dodge out of the way, nimble on his feet despite his size and long legs. This really didn't feel like a proper training, so the kick he aimed towards the creature was half-hearted at best. He was really grateful that none of his friends were around to see this, or they'd mock him endlessly. Both for fighting the animal... And for holding back.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Loren had stated earlier, it had been a while since he'd trained in animal form. So perhaps he was a bit slower to react than he otherwise might have been. Korbin's kick actually connected. Even though the other man had pulled the blow a bit, it was still enough to toss the healer a short distance away.

It (and the impact) caused a dull ache to spread through his body. Still, he snarled and surged to his feet. Darting forward again, he shifted directions at the very last instant, trying to move between the other man's legs. As the Launceleyn did, he was try to claw at the back of Korbin's leg, though gently and not enough to do any real damage.
DON'T CARE
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
He hated the way his boot connected with the stout little body. Loathed the way he made it fling and tumble off, and how the impact traveled up his leg. The sound, the feel, it made his skin crawl with a deep seated shame that left a bad taste in his mouth. Awful, because it almost tasted good.

Mentally, Korbin shuddered away from the sensation, and warily he watched Loren roll back up on furry paws, nimble and swift. Again he charged, but this time the boy was ready. When the animal aimed för his legs again, he shifted, became the raven and flew up on agile wings, well away from snapping teeth.

He made a sweep over the open training ground, and took refuge within the form. Let it take over, wash him away; with beady eyes he watched the raised tail of the badger and banked sharply in the air, intending to fly in from behind and make a sharp tug on that swaying black duster. A prime target for taunting and teasing.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Korbin shifted into Raven form, Loren snarled. Keeping his momentum, he tried to shift into a goose. However, the sluggishness when it came to moving in his forms was apparently real. The other man had plenty of time to grab on to the honey badger's tail. Abandoning the shift, the Launceleyn twisted around.

Snarling, his paw swept out. He wasn't trying to claw Korbin. All Loren was trying to do was bat the other man aside, aiming for a beak or a body, whatever the healer could reach. However, he was in the heat of the moment, and also his predatory nature didn't like the attack, and on top of that he didn't know his own strength these days, so he maybe put a bit more force behind it than was strictly necessary.
DON'T CARE