Mini Event the body electric
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 35 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
SAMUEL
stretch out my life & pick the seams out
Wessex replied in a way that was notably condescending (at least in tone) but Sam held back from replying angrily or harshly, wanting to avoid an argument he didn't have the energy for right now. Besides...she was likely right, he supposed. What were they going to try this year that didn't fail last year?

"..Alright, I agree that we likely can't reason with them. I still don't think that means we kill them all." He sighed, looked around the room at all the new Ascended that had recently joined their ranks. "We'd not only be killing them, but many of our new family members...I mean...I apologise, but...a lot of you are weak. These monsters are very strong and have no mercy." Sam had had enough close calls with them to know that it would be a miracle if all Ascended involved survived.

"I keep my vote." He confirmed.
take what you like, but close my ears and eyes,
watch me stumble over and over.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
& they said you were the crooked kind
that you'd never have no worth
The options are listed out, and she’s never been so torn as she is right now. They could help so many people, and yet it falls into the recklessness that her and Bastien had argued about… But at the same time, if they succeed… there would be no danger remaining and the Ascended might stand a better face in the rest of the populace.

She sighs, unneeded of course, but almost required as she hears Amun’s response — agreeing with it. And then Sam, dear Sam… Her head snaps toward him with a raised brow, listening while Wessex and Sam have a minor back and forth and she squeezes Bastien’s hand. “Sam… They took my eyes last LongNight.” She utters to him quietly. “They took your fingers too. They cannot be reasoned with.” She frowns slightly, looking back at Wessex before the rest of their family.

I want to fight. But… The Voice is granting Bastien and I a child. We’ll be weak for a while, at least up until just before LongNight, and by then we’ll have a young child to care for.” She sighs again, torn. “Is there a way that we can be invisible to them while fighting them?” A quiet thought, wondering what kind of advantage they might have. Right now, it seems limiting.
but you were always gold to me
the
PeNuMBRA
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
Laser beams we're about to awesome all your dreams
When Sam finally settles on a good reason, the matriarch falls silent in acceptance. There are other votes to tally, so she pushes her disappoint (though she isn't at all surprised) and nods again. So be it. As for the next speaker... well, Wessex is shocked. Utterly flabbergasted at Rexanna's announcement that they're getting a child.

Perhaps more out of respect for their friendship than anything else, her question comes silently to the Queen. Even in the mental space there's an air of horror, of recoil. The Wraith remembers well that Rex hated being questioned about her choices, but this... this didn't feel like a well thought out thing. It felt like something Bastien would propose.

Rex... a child? What if it's stuck in child form forever? Is that... what you want for it? Her glance goes to Clem, who will forever bethe body of a teenager. Why couldn't they just adopt a kid? What kind of selfishness is this?

Outwardly, she answers. "I gave Kiada a cloak that renders people in shadow invisible. It should work at night. I also have an invisibility chip still, which I could give to someone. But I don't imagine that we'll get the same gift from the Voice twice. Other than that, I don't know about invisibility for fighting them. That seems to be reserved for letting the Monsters live."
WESSEX
Clemente Belcourt
Apprentice

Age: 24 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
Clemente
Well, fuck. That turned dark fast.

Clem melts into Rexanna's touch while he can, as if he can absorb it like a sponge to hold it all through the tension of this meeting. He can't of course, and while he's proud to be included in such an important decision, he can't help how he immediately picks a side and sticks to it with childlike, stubborn resolve.

Eyes darting to Sam with a dark, haunted look far beyond his age, he throws in his two cents. "So yer sayin' you'd rather curse all yer non-Ascended friends an' family to fightin' them every year? To sittin' in the dark, scared and hopin' nobody stupid opens a door? To dyin' every single year?" He has only experienced one LongNight himself, but Dante had arrived just before it, and had told him just how hard it had been. "I'd rather die to save everyone in the Grounds. Ain't the other Old God followers died for their beliefs?" Will the Ascended fail in this aspect as everyone thinks they will in others? Turning his gaze back to Wessex with a flinty stare, Clemente embraces the fact that he of all of them is most likely to be a casualty in this coming war. "Screw that. I'm probably first to die, an' I will if it means we can help The Voice fix this. I ain't gonna sacrifice an entire town to save my hide." A loyalty that only a gutter rat could understand perhaps, the willingness to be a martyr if it means they can step on your fallen body to raise themselves to safety. But also a reminder of his conversation with The Voice. If Clem has to be the martyr, the child sacrificed to end this blight, he will happily put his soul into her hands when his time comes.
I've got designer shades just to hide my face
And I wear 'em around cuz I'm cooler than you
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:

Nate
Nate is more than willing to stay quiet, to keep his vote close and quiet until he really has to, but... this meeting is kind of turning to shit, and he wants to add his voice to it. Clem brings up a good point, one Nate piggybacks on, wide stare pointed at Sam as he speaks. "Even if you're too selfish to think about non-ascendeds, what makes it okay to have other versions of us out there, running around? What kind of life is it to just have one week of freedom a year?" Nate crosses his arms, turning to look at Clem as the youngest of them continues. And earns a wince. There is no way Clem is going to left alone long enough in the dark to be hurt, no way he's going to be killed, and Nate is positive he's not the only one with that thought.

"We could use some good representation anyway. Stopping Longnight had to help our image a little, right?" He turns to look around the group, almost daring anyone to disagree.

Do you read fuck-up in my walk?
Do you see fuck-up on my face?
Do I mean anything at all?
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 30 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
WISE MEN WONDER WHILE STRONG MEN DIE
Decisions, votes, revelations aplenty. Neron did what Neron did best, taking it all in with a calculated eye, his gaze moving from person to person, hearing out their decisions and their reasoning. He did raise his eyebrows at Rexanna at the mention that she had implored the Voice to give her a child. Something cold shot through him (not really, of course) - a reminder of a deal made with a much frostier goddess.

"Being from Halo, I cannot say I experience Longnight in the same way as those of you in the Grounds," he said eventually. "But there is no guarantee that these monsters will stay in the Grounds forever. It feels disingenuous for me to vote that we fight, given that I will need to be in Halo during Longnight. But if there is a risk that the monsters may spread out in future... putting an end to them does seem logical. Those who are weak can grow to be strong. Does this decision need to be made urgently?"
Letha Úlfurdur

Age: 32 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: N/A - Strg: 11 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
your tongue is twisted, your teeth are nails
There had never been a time in Letha's life where she wanted to disappear more than she did right now. Those in this room who were new and weak, well, she was the top of them. She wanted to crawl back into the shadows and sink into herself, to not be a part of this. As Amun spoke boldly above her, she moved closer to him some, trying to siphon some of his bravery (stupidity?) for herself. She listened as the others spoke, particularly Nate. She remembered how when Seren, the demi-goddess, had found out about her Ascendedness she essentially ran away from her. Letha bit her lip.

"I think we should fight."

Her voice was not confident, nor brave. It was quiet, breathy, timid.

If anyone were going to die, it was most likely Letha.

Was she ready for that? Amun had said they had the potential to live forever, if they were careful. Letha did not think this was a careful decision, but she would never forget the way that Seren had looked at her. If abolishing these monsters made sure that the other Ascended did not get looked at that way, Letha would fight.

they drove your voice in your throat
Letha
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Change author:
Heroes always get remembered
But you know legends never die
Bastien was quiet for quite a while after Wessex had given her speech to tell them what they were all here for: when Sam spoke he immediately had the same thought as Rexanna about her eyes and was glad when she voiced it before he stood up to call the man out far more ferociously.

Ultimately, his opinion on the matter was rather neutral. He had managed to survive Longnight three times now and was sure they could all do it again, that the people of the Hollowed Grounds could continue as they were and not lose their spirits. He understood the desire to keep their numbers safe. On the other hand, he was always one for a dramatic show of Ascended ability, and what better way than to kill the monsters? It would certainly be a step in earning the trust of the people.

"I share an opinion with Rexanna. We should fight, but her and I are weakened and shall soon be parents. We'll need to work around that...I refuse to risk my wife and child when it is clear we would not survive." For the moment he didn't notice Wessex's judging of their decision.
mortal kings are ruling castles
Welcome to my world of fun
BASTIEN
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 35 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
SAMUEL
At Rexanna's reminder of what she had lost in the last Longnight Sam was at least sheepish enough to look down and nod, staring at his clasped hands. Had he forgotten about it? Not quite (Ryan did), but he had still valued the possible souls of the monsters more than any potential injuries caused to their Ascended family by accident (still less injuries than would occur if they fought, though).

He really didn't want a fight right now and when it was just Rexanna, he was content to just leave it there. However, after that Clem spoke in an annoyingly teenage way and then who added to it but Nathaniel. Immediately Sam's head shot up and he looked his ex right in the eyes, sniping back: "Ah yes Nathaniel, I forgot. You really are the picture of selflessness." As for his 'point', if it could be called that: "And you really shouldn't talk about things you don't know about. Who knows where the monsters go when it isn't Longnight? For all we know they may have very full lives somewhere else. The only selfish one I see here is you wanting to toss our family members into the mouth of a beast for the sake of our reputations." His jaw tensed as his teeth pressed together, Sam usually not so forceful but always ready to dive into his pit of anger when Nate was involved.

As for Clem...he sighed and tried to speak softer, keeping in mind the boy's age. "You are one of the family we least want to die, young as you are. I'm...going to give you the benefit of the doubt, that that is why you are so...passionate about this. That and that you are an Outlander; you know I have had a Longnight every year since I was born? I know the pain of it. I know how it kills." His voice shook here, betraying just how tired and emotional he was, despite the level face he was trying to put forward. "Surely you all know I don't revel in the deaths of our Non-Ascended friends? That doesn't mean I think we should throw ourselves to our graves for their sakes." Frowning he shook his head and lifted a hand to push through his hair.

"I don't know why I'm trying. I doubt anyone will listen to me." He'd always been easy to ignore and was sure the vote would go ahead to fight whether he finally agreed or not.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
my love affair with water runs deep into my soul,
the serenity as intense as the tides ebb and flow
Leaning into Letha a bit as she moved closer to him, Amun had remained quiet after his initial response. As the conversation grew heated, though, and everyone seemed to turn on Sam, the potter cleared his throat. "Let's talk about fighting the monsters, and not fight each other please. As Wessex mentioned earlier." He swept his gaze over the room, and though he wasn't stern and his tone wasn't chiding or admonishing, he was trying to implore them to remain civil.

Then he turned to face the bookmaker. "You're right. Most of the people in this room are Outlanders, and cannot possibly understand what it is like to go through a lifetime of LongNights. And you're right that this is a great risk to everyone in this room." Amun took a deep breath, though it was unnecessary.

"But I know many of the Naturals. Or knew them. Maea. Amalia. Evie. Wessex." The Wraith got a careful nod. "I know many of them would choose to fight, if they were given this choice. To prevent future generations of Hollowed Ground of having to live through the horrors you've lived through." Throughout all of this, the potter's voice had been quiet. It rose a bit, in both volume and emotion. "How could we do any less?"
nothing is softer or more flexible than water,
yet nothing can resist it
AMUN
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
Laser beams we're about to awesome all your dreams
Ah, here it is. The fighting. Waiting for them to finish their spat (nevermind that she’d had her own earlier), Wessex goes all the way back to Neron ‘s question about urgency. “Yes, I think so. If nothing else, it gives us more time to prepare for the fight or to complete the tasks for upgrades. But you should know that if we fight, you’ll need to be there. All of us means all of us.” She offers a little shrug as if to say sorry - but being Warden of another place doesn’t make him exempt.

She is proud of Letha and Clem, of Nate, of everyone who wants to step up. Turning to face Bastien and Rexanna, she asks simply. “In the spirit of problem solving - have you thought about postponing it a little bit? Right now you have a hypothetical child and a very real dilemma. If you’re making a decision based on what-if’s then perhaps think about this: are you making the world a safer place for said child? Isn’t that part of being a parent? What if they don’t come with the monster-protection upgrade?” She pauses, briefly and says quietly, “What if the Voice fails and can’t make you one. Could you adopt a Natural child?” She thinks, perhaps, that they haven’t done enough thinking about the matter.

Finally, she turns to Samuel and nods, on the tail end of Amun. “They go somewhere underground. Recharge their batteries, so to speak, so they can live for a single week.” Softening a bit, Wessex purses her lips together. “It’s okay to be afraid, Sam. I’m worried. About both options. But I also trust that Letha, Clem, and Osozo can make their own decisions based on the outlined risks. And so can you. I just hope it’s not out of fear.”  

Speaking of, she then turn to her brother demi-god and raises a brow. What does he think?
WESSEX

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 1 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
Keep your 'lectric eye on me babe
Put your ray gun to my head
Osozo has kept quiet through much of the debate, face turning to each new speaker in kind, all of the information listened to, carefully weighed, then moved past as more points are offered. They already have an idea of what their decision is, if only because the voice does not suggest things to be debated on. The choices she offers are requests disguised as such, and the wrong one could have repercussions they can not imagine.

They finally feel ready to speak, when Wessex seems to give a platform, their name on her lips and her eyes on them. "Everyone has good points, I think." A grin is offered Sam's way, Osozo making sure he is included in this as well. "But we have had something suggested by the Voice. Why are we not jumping to fulfil her request?"
Press your space face close to mine, love
Freak out in a moonage daydream, oh-
OSOZO
Base Code by Sky!
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
While Amun and Wessex's civil points were welcomed over accusatory anger, Sam knew from listening to them that he was never going to convince them different...and that he would not be convinced by them. It felt like he was watching his family agree to a suicide mission around him and for what? To eliminate a threat they'd learnt to deal with for the most part? He felt like there was so much better they could be doing. There were places to go during Longnight to be free from the monsters now.

There were so many of them new and young. So many who would surely die: what was odd to consider was that he knew he likely had a better chance than many of them. "It's not fear, Wessex." He insisted, looking up to meet her eyes. "I know I can't stop you all from doing it. I won't try. But I can't be a part of it. I won't pretend I think it's alright to let half our family die for a cause we could have wait til we're stronger or better prepared or...or anything else."
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 30 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
WISE MEN WONDER WHILE STRONG MEN DIE
Raising an eyebrow, Neron could not help but disagree with Wessex's little shrug. One could not simply not rule an entire land because some monsters that Neron had never seen or dealt with needed to be culled. "If that is the case, consider my vote rescinded. I choose to pursue the tasks for the upgrades instead. Halo will close its doors at the end of Deepfrost until the snows ease off in Flowerbirth, and I intend to be there."

Whatever else was going on in the meeting went over his head. Honestly, whoever was angry at who was not his concern. If fighting Longnight monsters meant he was forced from home at his people's most vulnerable time... yeah. No. He was out.