What's with the Strange Breed?
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
- NATE -
Then you're left in the dust, unless I stuck by ya
You're a sunflower, I think your love would be too much
Despite his recent struggles with his Goddess, Nate held no ill will, no anything really towards the ascended family. He'd helped Amun out, more than once now, and seen Wessex more than once since he'd come to Torchline. There were those he liked more than others though, and one in particular who he'd actually dropped a line to when he'd gone back to the Hollowed Grounds, probably the only successful thing he'd managed to do on that trip.

Clemente made Nate's heart ache to be around, but he still wanted to be around the kid, wanted to help him out, teach him... whatever it was he knew. So he'd invited him out to visit, suggested a time and a place and the weak excuse of learning to fish, and hoped his invitation would be accepted.

The moon was high, the tide was out, revealing an elaborate growth of coral and seaglass, a structure that Nate stood in front of, Sunjata by his side, and waited. It had been a last minute decision to bring the other man, but he wanted at least some parts of his life to mesh together nicely. And Sunjata had dropped a niece onto him, he could return the favour with a younger brother.
Or you'll be left in the dust, unless I stuck by ya
You're the sunflower, you're the sunflower
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
SuNjATA
the flood
For as much as Sunjata loved the sun, the moon had a special place in his heart as well. So many things he’d done under the cover of darkness, under the hidden shadows of alleys and homes while everyone slept above. Here, among the water, he can feel the way the creatures around him doze, the way the birds tuck themselves into sleep and the dolphins find their rest among the water.

He was surprised when Nate had asked him to join him, not thinking twice about going with. If it was important to Nate, then certainly Sunjata had to see what kind of person this was. He’d been given relatively low information as to who it was, but still was curious enough to tag along – a short sleeve shirt and one hand stuffed into his pocket, the other with a cigarette’s glow as he flicks ash from the end.

He leans toward Nate to bump his shoulder into the other man, a rogue smirk crossing his face. “I’m excited to meet them.” He offers – because he is. Curious to know more about Nate’s life in Caido aside from Ascension and ex-boyfriends.
this ain't no place for no hero
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Clemente Belcourt
Apprentice

Age: 23 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
Clemente
Clem is unaware of the shifting tides, the changes that are sure to drown him beneath their depths when the time comes. His life has never been better, he has never been happier than he is now. Afloat with love, family, and purpose. Things he had forsaken long, long ago. When he'd found his mother dead with a needle in her arm and a vacant smile on her frozen face. He has been given a second chance at life, one he does not intend to waste. That is what drives him to the water's edge that night, excited by the prospect of another lesson beneath Nate's hand.

He's jogging along the coastline, Nate's form unmistakable - and easy to spot, as they're the only ones out here - as his feet carry him across the sand. He's already throwing himself at Nate's side with a joyous battle cry to try and climb him like a monkey before he realizes there's another dude there, and he freezes where he's clawing his way up the taller man like a particularly eager koala. Immediately succumbing to the crippling shyness and anxiety that overtakes him around any non-Ascended, he lets his feet find the sand again but sticks close to Nate's side, sharp flaxen eyes taking in the available information. The man had been at Wessex's meeting, as he'd been tasked with memorizing the faces. Still nameless though. And he is physically close to Nate, sharing his space in a way that implies comfort with one another. So if Nate has deemed him safe...

"Didn't know we were makin' this a sausage fest. I knew fish liked worms but c'mon." He dons his prickly wit like armor, young face still pinched in a suspicious frown and furrowed brows despite the verbal olive branch he extends to the stranger. Well, not many would take it as that, but this is Clemente.
Your mother started drinking like the whole world died
And You've been waiting for a miracle all your life
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
- NATE -
Clem's arrival was immediately apparent, the younger ascended barrelling into his side like a cannonball, catching Nate off guard, just a little bit. Not enough to topple him, but enough that the arms that wrap around the younger are a little delayed, the matching whoop that leaves him a little quieter. But if the entrance had been unexpected, the sudden shyness is even more so. Nate's arm stays tight around Clems shoulders, even as he lowers himself back down to the ground, trying to offer some comfort to him. "Sorry kiddo, I should have told you I invited someone else too. But... I want you two to meet. And besides, you should know I like sausages better."

Nate turns them both, so they're properly facing Sunjata, and gesture towards the attuned. "Clem, this is Sunjata. He's... we're... close..?" They had never actually talked what they were to each other, and it's clear Nate is looking for some confirmation, some suggestion that the other man is okay with. "And Jata, this is Clemente. My little brother." There is an unbelievable amount of warmth in his voice when he says those words, his hand squeezing Clem's shoulder tight. The younger ascended might not recognize the significance, but Sunjata should.

Once the others got their hackles down, something that hopefully didn't take too long, Nate took his arm back so he could clap, and look between the other two. "We're here to fish, right? Let's get at it."
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
SuNjATA
the flood
He notices the boy as he charges in, but gets nothing else out aside from his surprise in the form of raised brows, a wide fanged smirk crossing his face as the boy begins to almost climb on Nate as if he’s some sort of jungle gym. But the boy realizes he’s there, clings to Nate in a fashion that certainly doesn’t have Sunjata’s amusement leaving as he turns a small amount to respond to the comment. “What’s wrong with that?” He offers with a quiet chuckle, right as Nate responds.

And then introductions begin and Sunjata’s gaze flickers up to Nate as he stumbles over what they were to one another, gaze flickering back to Clemente with a nod of agreement. “Hey Clemente. It’s good to meet you.” He rumbles with his thick accent coating every word. Gaze flickering over to Nate at the mention of brother, some deep understanding coating every inch of the realization that hits. Reminds him of the time he’d flung Nate at Melita with the quiet surprise of ‘by the way this is my niece.’  Still, he reaches up perhaps a bit awkwardly in the hopes of a decent impression, hand brushing against marks Nate has left along his skin.

The mention of fishing, however, draws his mind back and he glances between Clemente and Nate with a small hidden smirk. “What kind of fish are we going for? And how far out are we going?” He asks, turning away to remove his shirt and toss it into a heap along the beach, shark bite scars covering his back and spine — translated in white marks along his orca shift which he certainly plans on using for this.
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Clemente Belcourt
Apprentice

Age: 23 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Clemente
Though he can't feel it in the traditional way anymore, Nate's arm around his shoulders is enough to smooth back the rising hackles. They've already dealt with smugglers and geysers, Clem is confident that Nate wouldn't put him in a dangerous situation. Or rather, to introduce him to someone dangerous, since that's what this seems to be. The other man is even taller than Nate, and Clem for once feels relatively small, which is laughable since most of the Ascended are shorter than him. Clem makes a small gagging noise at Nate's rebuttal, but the smile that twitches onto his face erases any ill will from it. "Nothin' wrong, but I ain't no jelly to this sandwich," he tosses back at the stranger, grin bright and mischievous with his implications. Tawny eyes peering knowingly between the two. "If I can even call ya a sandwich. 'Close' ain't somethin' I've ever seen on a menu board." Not that he's going to give them much more grief, he knows relationships are tricky to say the least. Just because he won't touch them with a thousand foot pole doesn't mean they aren't the types to jump right in.

A fang pokes out against his lip when he smiles at the man's awkward introduction, too busy positively basking in Nate calling him his little brother to care about any fumbling Sunjata might do. It takes all his self control not to bounce in place, to do something with all this frenetic energy that courses through his circuitry at the declaration of family. "Yeah same big guy. Y'can call me Clem though, less of a mouthful." He doesn't mind either way, but most people default to it regardless. Except Dante, who had never given up calling him Clementine.

But they're here for fish, and at least they both get their heads in the game after introductions. Clem briefly ogles the scars on Sunjata's skin, and almost wonders if they're from Nate, but the bite marks are far too large. He quickly averts his eyes, not out of propriety but because he knows how private scars can be. Instead he gives Nate's arm a wild shake, excitement vibrating up his throat. "Fish! Come on, come on, show me how! I wanna play with the worms!" A boyish desire, but there's a flame that dances in his eyes, more than ready to get his hands dirty even if he can't experience the full range of disgust and awe that a normal boy would at having a worm wriggle around in their fingers.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Somehow, everything goes smoothly through the introductions, far more smoothly than Nate would have hoped. Clem has his bristley charm, and Sunjata has the same, but it seems to be in a way where they can settle in closer, instead of pushing each other away. He shouldn't have been worried. The look, looks from the attuned are answered with a slight shrug, conversations, explanations for later. And, maybe a proper talk with Clem, after everything is settled, when they're actually alone, since brother is another thing he didn't really hash out before hand. And it had worked, somehow. A lot of things had been doing that for him lately.

Nate's ogling of Sunjata's body is far more blatant and appreciative than the younger ascendeds peek. "We're trying to catch anything. We're," He gestured to himself and Clem, "not gonna taste it." Then there's a bright laugh, a smile shot at the attuned. "But I thought we'd start on the shore, get the basics down, yea? Then maybe we can graduate to some deep fishing." It was probably the better idea to start on solid ground, instead of on the back of a big ass whale.

Like most things he had taught Clem, all of Nate's knowledge came from summers that were almost literally a lifetime ago now. But also the kind of things that come back once he gets started, the muscle memory still there, the rods sorted and the various moving parts explained, quickly. "We're... not actually going to be using worms." Nate broke the news gently, then pulled out a jar with a handful of small crayfish within, claws and antenna wiggling. "You're more likely to hook something good with good bait." So saying, he dipped a hand into the jar and scooped out a little creature, taking the hook and spearing it in one practised motion, demonstrating for the other two, then taking a moment so they could try.

Once everyone had bait on a hook, he cast his line into the sea, explaining the motions as he went, pointing out the sweet spot to try and get it to land in.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SuNjATA
the flood
The way Clemente speaks is enough that has a small crooked smile crossing his face, somewhat boyish in nature as he chuckles lightly. “Alright. Clem it is.” He rumbles in agreement, beginning to add something else in – seeing as he does the same with his own name – but passes it off as Nate continues and Sunjata manages to toss his shirt into a pile – prepared to swim. But he turns to Nate when he speaks, dark brows furrowing a small amount in his confusion with that. “Really?” He rumbles in partial surprise – what good was fishing if you weren’t actually going to eat what you caught? But… This is Nate’s activity, and so he settles before his feet touch the water and he can shift – running a hand through his hair as he watches Clem shake Nate’s arm, and Nate explains what it is they’ll be doing.

So of course, he crowds a bit closer, slipping back to the Ascended’s sides, hovering a small amount over Nate’s shoulder to peer at the jar with the crayfish. It doesn’t seem that hard, so when given the chance, he takes the fishing pole, the hook, and one of the creatures and tries to follow Nate’s motions in hooking it. It’s not perfect, but it should be good enough, and he follows Nate to the spot he’s chosen. “So… When we catch something do we just toss it back?” He asks, clearly confused, but casting his own hook out into the sea as well. He’s not sure what else they’d do with it if they didn’t plan on eating it.

So it had to make sense, right? “After this I demand a swim.” Sunjata feigns some dramatics, paired with a quiet chuckle and a roguish grin sent to the other two Ascended’s.
Clemente Belcourt
Apprentice

Change author:
Clemente
"Maybe we can give 'em to the street kids then?" he points out softly, hesitant to mention it even if he's sure Nate won't mind giving a few of whatever they catch to those who have brought Clem into their fold. While his loyalty is not to them, they are echoes of his past and he will help them however he can. "Or have a cookout!" The excited quiver of his voice is blatant in the dark. He doesn't know many non-Ascended folks, but it had been a flaunted televised tradition that he'd never experienced in his home world.

The soft moue of disappointment quickly turns into a startled shriek of half-disgust and half-wonder. Boyish desire to poke and prod at any gross or slimey object (or in this case, more like plated) immediately has him reaching in to poke at the things. It's disappointing to not be able to feel them against his fingertips, and his smile wavers obviously as for once he regrets the things he has given up in coming to Caido. But he won't let it ruin the night, and he plucks one out to follow Nate's instructions, messily spearing the creature and giving a quiet apology to it aloud that he hopes the other two won't hear.

The casting goes just about as well as the baiting, more enthusiasm than skill, but after a few tries Clem's line is at a respectable distance and depth. He vibrates in place as he waits impatiently for...something. He's not really sure how he'll be able to tell if he has caught anything.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Nate's hands came up in compromise as both of them immediately complained about not doing something with what they caught. "Okay, okay. We can do a little fire and cook some of what we catch, and you," he turns specifically to Clem, "can take anything left over to whoever you want." There is a moment of concern at the mention of street kids, but he tries to rationalize it away. He'd gotten into worse at Clem's age, and far less sturdy than the ascended, and he'd been fine.

Watchful eyes followed as they each grabbed and hooked a crawfish in turn, neither attempt particularly refined. It wasn't like he was the most practised teacher either though, so they were already doing better than he'd expected. And if Nate heard the soft words, he made no mention of it. Casting the lines is a little less successful still, but each of them manages to get their lines in the waters, somehow. As soon as they are Nate relaxes a bit, holding his rod near his hip and turning to Sunjata with a bright grin. "Course we can swim after." He promises easily, somehow even more relaxed by how normal and easy this feels.

"A lot of fishing is waiting." Nate offers sagely, after a handful of moments of nothing happening. He lowers his rod, digging the end into the sand so it was still upright, and sauntered over to check the others lines. Just as they both dipped, the slightest bit of resistance felt for both of them. Nate jumped, grin suddenly animated, and gestured for both of them to start reeling in their lines, offering what sounded like nonsense as he did. "Don't fight it too much, you want to play with it a little." Neither of them would feel much resistance though, not until they had reeled in everything, and found the hooks tangled around each other. After a breath where he simply stared, Nate let out a bright laugh and moved to detangle the lines. "Maybe.... try again, little bit further apart." Moving between them, Nate shifted them each a step or two over, his hand gentle on Clemente's shoulder, and far more familiar around Sunjata's hip.

He stood by to watch them cast again, jumping a little bit as his own rod suddenly fell to the ground, his impromptu stand not holding as well as Nate had though it would. Moving to grab it again, Nate turned to Clem, brow raised. "How's your whittling going?"
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SuNjATA
the flood
Ooh a cookout.” Sunjata replies with a toothy grin. “I like you.” Sunjata replies, winking toward Clemente with a hum of amusement. But then theyre spearing their crayfish, casting their lines, and his head tilts back toward Nate with the promise of a swim. “You know I’d complain if we didn’t.” He teases easily, the grin shifting to a smirk before he grows silent, listens to the instructions – content enough to sit here and wait.

It seems like all he does anymore is just… Go go go. A chance to sit and think about things is relieving, brings some sort of lightness to his chest. And he watches Nate set up his own fishing pole before coming to inspect their own fishing poles just as they dip – Sunjata’s brows raising in surprise as he begins to pull back a small amount, trying to follow the instructions the best he can… Only to find out that the lines are tangled.

A bright laugh leaves him as he looks to Clemente, another toothy grin sent the younger Ascended’s way. “Ah, you caught me.” It’s almost hinting at a whine, some boyish playfulness coming over him as he moves the steps away with Nate’s help – partially shifting a small amount so the orca fin appears on his spine as if for added reference that he’s indeed been considered a fish before.

So he casts his line again, waiting, gaze flickering over toward Nate and Clem, listening in on the conversation – just a few more things that Sunjata wasn’t aware of – but is interested in the answer regardless.
Clemente Belcourt
Apprentice

Change author:
Clemente
Clem preens happily at the allowance, still eternally unsure about asking for such things even from his family. The giving spirit that exists in Caido is a bit blackened and underhanded in Torchline, but at least it exists. Clem isn't used to that. He's similarly unused to the blatant praise that Sunjata offers, giving a lopsided boyish grin too-full of fangs instead of any kind of reply. He's too likely to fumble one of those.

"I've never gone swimmin'," he offers boldly, if only because it's something to say. He'd grown up in a concrete jungle to say the least. Now he doesn't have to worry about drowning though, which takes most of the anxiety about learning out of the equation. Though swimming is far less interesting than the way his pole jerks and bobs. Nate's calm instructions are the only thing that keep him from doing something stupid like throw his rod or whip it around in a vain attempt to surface whatever he has potentially hooked. Except it turns out to just be Sunjata's line, and the boy pouts freely until Sunjata's teasing brightens him back up, as easily swayed in his moods as any other teenager. "Not much of'a catch," he teases back, the teasing grin hopefully making light of the words. Clemente is still not used to being nice some days.

Obligingly casting out farther, and shuffling a bit away from Sunjata (he's not gonna lose another opportunity even if it means he's kinda ignoring the dude) to try and ensure success this time around. Despite no need for sleep or bodily functions, Clem is still an impatient teenager, and Nate is perfectly timed when he asks about his whittling. "Gooooood," he drawls playfully. "Been tryin' to make bigger shi- er, stuff. Think I could make poles, though?" Head craning to look at the taller man, wondering if he could sell or barter them in Halo and the Grounds where fishing isn't so prevalent.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
"We can teach you." Nate offers easily at the admission that the younger ascended had never swam before, already certain Sunjata would be on board with the idea. His mind wandered to the same place as well, a comfort taken in the lack of risk associated with the lesson. It doesn't stay there though, not in the momentary excitement of the lines bobbing, and the disappointment when it turns out to be a false alarm. His students for the night are quick to get set up again, hopefully with more luck this time.

Bright blue eyes focus on Clem, the smile on Nate's face easy as the younger answers his question. The attempt to censor himself has a bright laugh leaving him. "I think poles would be pretty simple. They'd be shorter than these." He shakes his own pole, the tip wiggling back and forth as he did. "But you could probably make some good trades for them. Especially if they're as good as what you were doing before. Did I ever show you the book he made me?" This is directed at Sunjata, his head tilting back to look at the attuned. It had been in one of the boxes that had made it's way into his clinic, but he couldn't remember when specifically it had been unpacked.

Clem's pole dips again, gently at first, then with so much force that he's nearly pulled off his feet. Without really thinking, Nate drops his own pole and runs again to help the other, adding his support, but letting Clem do most of the work, with his guidance. When to reel it in, when to let it take some line back. It takes a few minutes of struggle, during which Nate's abandoned pole jumps, and begins to slip into towards the surf, but they manage to reel in a giant silver fish, the creature still fighting despite being completely out of it's element.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
SuNjATA
the flood
Where once it may have surprised Sunjata to hear that someone hadn’t gone swimming before, it doesn’t surprise him to hear it this time. He nods to Clem and Nate, a toothy smile tossed back to the youth. “Absolutely.” He chimes with a bright smile, before focusing on attaining some distance to keep fishing. There’s a bright laugh that slips from his throat at Clemente’s comment of him not being much of a catch, half tempted to say something else along the lines of just how much he thinks he is a catch, but he refrains.

He grows silent, listening to the two talk, content to find out more about this relationship between Nate and Clemente, something about it inherently sweet and brotherly, something Sunjata could have related to with his sister. As Nate swings his electric gaze over to him, Sunjata tilts his head toward him with a soft hint of a smile on his face, flickering through the memories of the things Nate had before settling on said book.

He leans forward a bit to peer at Clem with a raised brow. “You made that? It’s really nice.” He offers, surprise lingering across his face with it, infinitely pleased by the idea of it. “Poles would be good if they’re that quality.” He’s sure people would like them regardless, could even be made out of other materials.

Clem’s pole dips however, and Sunjata watches with interest as Nate slips over to help the younger Ascended, only noticing after a few moments as Nate’s pole begins to do the same. So Sunjata tries to mimic Nate’s original stance with the pole in the sand, trying to catch Nate’s pole and do the same that Nate and Clemente did to reel in a fish.