[SE] Just a Dream, Pretty Thing
Evie
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
'cause karma's just a different word for bad luck &
The port was not somewhere Nate found himself often, though he was prone to wandering, in that soft hour between day and night, before the streets grew dangerous. Not that he couldn't take care of himself, it just wasn't worth the hassle. There were better places he could spend his nights anyway. Today though, he was dragging his feet, lingering around the path to the portal like he was expecting someone. Maybe he was. He hadn't exactly been a ray of sunshine lately, hadn't exactly been nice, and something or other had to catch up with him at some point.

Maybe it's the thoughts drifting through his mind that make the flash of familiar hair so jarring. Maybe it's some kind of strange, lingering guilt, for something he really didn't think he should feel guilty about. Maybe he just wanted to yell more. Whatever the reason, Nate followed the red hair around a corner, realizing two things in quick succession.

One: Whoever he'd just followed wasn't Sam. Two: He'd just cornered a woman he didn't know in a dead end, in an extremely creepy and threatening move.

Both his hands come up, showing that there was nothing hidden in them, and he stepped back quickly, an apologetic grin on his face. "Hey, sorry. I thought you were... someone I knew. Know."
what if death is just another pair of handcuffs?
NATE
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen
Warden of Halo / Apothecarist

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 8 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 30 - Int:
MICAH - Regular - Tide Jaguar
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
Oh I'm in pieces, it's tearing me up, but I know
Evie is still not quite familiar with Torchline's areas. Though most of her days here have been spent harvesting the local flora for her greenhouse before the chill of winter can kill them off and set her back a few months, she has made it a point not to slack in the more social side of things. The Port is a bustling hub of all manner of souls, and it's easy to slip by unnoticed when she has nothing to offer and nobody to seek.

While more than adequate at turning herself into a wallflower, Evie is also not in the habit of leaving her back unprotected. Perhaps it's a result of living in Halo, or merely that her skills have been sharpened with such consistent training. Whatever the reason, the apothecarist notices relatively quickly that someone is trailing her. At first she's not certain why, only to realize that it doesn't much matter. Though not particularly diminutive, the man shadowing her is much larger, and if there's one constant in the universe it's creepy men targeting women.

Before she can consider what she's doing, she ducks around a corner. It's a dead end, which only ramps up her heart as it thunders in her ears, but she can hear Deimos' firm voice complimenting her efforts in their training. It's enough to have her magic seeping out, grabbing the sand and soil beneath her feet into a ball in her hand, and just as she whirls around and casts it out into his face the man speaks. It's too late to take it back, though she gives an 'eep' of regret and her hands clutch at her mouth as his explanation registers, his unthreatening body language the last nail in her coffin of remorse. Still, she is not without her fire, and it flares in her cheeks in an embarrassed tinge. "You scared the wits out of me!" she snaps, dropping her hands away to put them squarely on her hips. Even so, her lips tremble slightly, and she tugs at the ends of her hair in nervous idle habit. "Uh...sorry about that though." And, because she has nothing to say and isn't immune to Sam's particular habit of word-vomiting rubbing off on her, she blurts out the next; "Who did you think I was? Not many people around here have red hair." Maybe her father had gotten around to more than just Amalia's mom. She can't help but bite her tongue at the dark humor.
A heart that's broke is a heart that's been loved
EVIE
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Really, it should be less of a surprise when a lump of dirt comes flying towards him, somehow unerringly aimed for his face, but it's not. Nate's just happy he'd had his mouth closed when it hit, and that it had been sand enough to not actually cause any damage. The open hands close, a little resigned, and he has to fight to not laugh as he reaches up to wipe his face. "That's uh.... yea, it's my fault. I didn't think about how that was gonna look." Really, he should just be grateful dirt was all he got.

Once his face is wiped off though, he can peer at her a little closer, his reasoning feeling a little more fair. "There are not many people with red hair round here. So... I thought you might have been my ex." A light shrug, and no detail given as to what that would have entailed, whether it was a good thing or not. Honestly, he wasn't actually sure what he'd do if he saw Sam around here, whether he'd try to talk, or if it'd end in another blowout. And god, that was a scandal he wanted to avoid.

Maybe it was for the best she wasn't who he'd thought.

There's still a lingering sense of guilt though, despite the fact that they should be more than even, so Nate rolls his shoulders, gestures around. "Did you need a hand getting anywhere? Shrine, portal? I know the area pretty well, and the least I can do is keep you safe from actual creeps."
NATE
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
At least restrained laughter is a better response than she was anticipating, and the sheepish look and further apologies go a long way to smoothing the proverbial bristles. "Yes well...a lesson to us both then," she says with lofty imperiousness, though the relief at not being in danger - and the subtle amusement at her own attack of choice - is clear on her guileless face.

A face that quickly scrunches into a sympathetic grimace at the tale he weaves, brief though it is. "Ah, an unflattering comparison. Exes are a messy business. Though why you'd want to corner one is beyond me." Here she slants her gaze at him in a sliver of disbelief. Evie is certainly the 'ignore them till they go away' type when it comes to failed romance. It had done wonders with Rory.

His offer is appreciated, though she's still a little leery despite everything. Too many proficient actors in Caido. But Evie hasn't gotten to be where she is without taking a few chances, and she strides purposefully past him and out of the alleyway as she responds. "I was heading to the Port to see if I could find any sailors or stalls with information about local flora and fauna. How good are you at haggling?" A glimmer of mischief is apparent in her cornflower blues as she turns them over her shoulder at him.
EVIE
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
"Well if it makes you feel better, the only thing you actually have in common with him is your hair." Nate laughs, though the easy grin slips away rather messily as he debates how to best describe his recent issues with his ex. "We just had a uh... messy dispute." To put it mildly. "He doesn't actually live around here, so I wanted to make sure I didn't need to watch my back or anything." As laughable as the thought was, he hadn't known about the electric shield Sam had hit him with, and he lifted a hand to his chest at the memory, the ache.

As she moves past him, Nate hums a little, but doesn't move to follow, not until she actually makes an offer to him. And what a good offer it is. "You have no idea how lucky you are today." He rumbles, closing the distance between them in a few easy steps. "They love me around here. Whatever you want, you'll get it at the best price possible." That's maybe a little bit of hyperbole, but he could still bargain for better prices than she could get alone. Call it a perk for saving the town, or something like that.

His feet move them automatically to the main thoroughfare of the port, where stalls line the paths and people mingle most commonly, which leaves him open to look at her while they walk. And talk, obviously. "So what kind of information are you looking for specifically? Flora and Fauna is a bit of a wide subject here." Then, almost like an afterthought, like he'd forgotten until this moment, he offered his name. "I'm Nate, by the way. Normally I'd say call me doctor, but you did throw a bunch of rocks at me, so I think we're a bit closer than that."
NATE
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
"Are you saying I have a masculine enough body to have fooled you?" The laughter that dances in her expression is more than enough to communicate to the man that even if it had, she's far from offended. Years of gardening and low nutritional crops will do that to you unfortunately. His explanation only dampens that mirth, becoming far more empathetic. "Well, the good news is it appears you're still ex-free for the moment." The bad news has already been covered, what with the whole cornering a woman in an alleyway business.

Luckily he joins her, and with his much longer legs Evie doesn't even bother slowing down for him to catch up. "Then it's perfect repayment," she flings back, surety hiding any remaining nerves as they stride through the stalls and crowds together. At least they seem to part more naturally around her with Nate at her side, and she absolutely will use the man's imposing height to her advantage in this scenario. "I'm looking for reproducible or transplantable material, so flora-based would be best. First hand growers accounts, maybe a local identification index." In the Grounds there are many plants that have poisonous counterparts, but which look quite alike. Any prepared information ahead of time would give her a leg up in including them for research.

'Doctor' snags her attention anew, and her fiery locks sway as she turns to look up at him. "Doctor? I'm Evie, I've been running the apothecary in the Grounds half my life. Now I'm temporarily the Assistant Grand Healer in Halo, though, and starting a greenhouse. That's why I'm looking for information." If that at all helps guide him on where to find such sources.
EVIE
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
"Well now you're just putting words in my mouth." Nate complains lightly, the smile on his face growing easier with the fact that she is not who he had thought, though there's still some nagging sense of familiarity about her, something that he keeps trying to mentally write off as just the hair. It doesn't stop him falling into step beside her, slowing his steps enough that he can stay by her side without too much extra effort on her part.

He kept his head up while the moved, eyes roaming the wares people were peddling, his head tilted towards Evie to catch what she was saying. Nate couldn't help the way his whole head swivelled towards her, no small amount of astonishment spread over his face at the specificity of what she was seeking. "I know there's an old woman who sells things made from plants she gathers. Don't know how much of it is kept track of, but she might be a good start?" Nate offers, already turning them in the direction he'd last seen her set up.

"I guess it really is good luck we ran into each other then. I'm afraid I never set foot into any apothecary while I was living in the Grounds, but I did help set up the Medical College. Including the garden they have at the back of it." The only surprise is that they haven't somehow met sooner, considering how many lines happen to connect them. "Are you sure a greenhouse is going to convince anything to grow in Halo though?" A bright laugh leaves him, as they come to the edge of a blanket, a woman indeed sitting at the edge of it, all manner of plants and poultices spread out in front of her. Nate isn't sure exactly what Evie is looking for, so he let's her browse, and looks around, sharp eyes roaming about in search of any other booths they could stop at, once she was done.
NATE
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
"I'm sure you're used to that," she says coyly, laughing brightly. The pronoun he'd used hadn't escaped her, and Evie doesn't feel the need to impress or sweeten up this man when they've already had such an amusing first meeting.

His astonishment makes her laugh. "Well, you asked for specifics!" At least he seems to have a good starting point for her despite the narrow field she has given him. Her gratitude is quite sincere. "Lead the way," she gestures with a dramatic gesture of her arm, enjoying the playful company he provides. It's a nice break from the normal uptight, well-mannered Naturals who know her in the Grounds, or the stoic suspicious Halovians she has been around more recently.

Mention of the College makes her give a wry grin. "I never joined, far to prideful as a Natural I'm afraid. It's a shame it's closing down though, it accomplished many things." She had keenly felt the imposition onto her territory when it had first opened, hadn't been able to swallow down her pride to join it when she had so many years of hard-won experience overtaken by a young girl who deemed herself the resident expert on all women and their health. Perhaps she's still a little bitter after all.

Evie reaches into her pocket with a sly look to pluck one of the seeds from the pouch she has for them, holding it in her palm while she holds his gaze and uses her magic to make it grow from seed to sprout to a full flower in moments. "I think I'll be able to convince them to grow." She's not used to being so blatant with her magic, but since it has strengthened with Zariah's training she can't help but want to show it off. She tucks the flower into his shirt and wanders to barter at the stall he has led her to. Haggling is much friendlier here than Halo, and she walks away with a hand written tome and a bright grin to return to Nate's side.
EVIE
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
Nate laughs brightly at the coy accusation, waggling his brows a little as if to say it's not the only thing he's used to regarding his mouth, but there's no need to be crude when they're both in on the joke. And he has to give it to her, he had asked for specifics, and she had delivered. Given him a direction to point them in, a path to follow, for a time at least.

A brow lifts as he catches the grin, but he doesn't need to ask, Evie offering her opinion easily. And then another little tidbit that has him genuinely surprised. "I can't really fault you for your reasons." He says, tilting his head towards her with a sly grin, an idea already percolating away. "How would you do things differently? To keep people from resenting the idea?" It might be good to have her two cents in the future. "I'm sorry to hear the college is closing, but maybe something more appropriate can be set up in it's stead." Honestly, he had done everything he could to avoid Phoebe, and the college, after his... misstep, with Sunjata, but it was still disappointing to hear it was closing.

Blue eyes scan the area around them again while Evie fumbles with something, Nate not looking back until she speaks, until there's a full grown flower in her hands and his eyes are nearly bugging out of his head. "That's... super fucking cool. Alright, I take it back. You can make a garden grow in Halo." He laughs, the sound growing louder when the flower is left with him, and Evie goes to barter with the old woman. Nate keeps his eyes peeled, trying to wrack his brain for anyone else who might be useful to her, and maybe has a lead when she comes back, a book tucked under her arm.

"Think I might know someone about some seeds." Nate offers, along with his arm, the flower in his pocket making him feel a touch fancier than he did normally. Regardless of if she takes the offered arm or not though, he'll lead them back into the crowd, wandering seemingly at random before his steps suddenly became far more sure, leading them to a little wagon all but overflowing with flowers. Most of them were decorative, nicely scented and beautiful, but the man running the wagon seemed to recognize Nate, and pulled out a large pouch as if in anticipation.
NATE
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
His inquiries are deeply appreciated in ways he likely doesn't realize. The Outlanders have long had the habit of intruding on traditions, customs, and opinions the Naturals have. Usurping their lifestyles with their own demands and choices. Things are changing slowly, but his desire for her opinion is met with gratitude, and that inspires honesty. "The college was created on the assumption that people need to be taught like young pupils, and even if the motivation was pure the name alone is discouraging. To many Naturals, it's degrading to have an Outlander come and set up shop to educate them on things they either already know, or to imply that their past ways - magical or menial - are somehow inadequate. It was only made worse by the class setting and speeches." A sentiment that is not hers alone. She has her thumb to the pulse of the lives in the Grounds, to the Naturals who stubbornly return to her apothecary instead of seeking out the infirmary or the college. Neighbors, friends, and customers. "If you wanted to set up an alternative, including at least one Natural citizen from wherever you're setting up. Learning and respecting the regional healing practices, and implementing them with your customers. Slowly introducing new things, and offering personal education in a private setting on a case-by-case basis so that they don't feel pressured or embarrassed surrounded by their peers." Realizing she's likely saying too much, she flushes high in her cheeks, but she's too well-bred and willful to let it show more than that. "And more than anything, do not set up in an area where you will impact the surrounding local healers too deeply. Stealing their business will create many enemies that will withhold their talents and knowledge from you."

The flush only deepens at his compliment, but pride shines fiercely in her blue eyes above the wide, predatory grin she displays. Now that she is more confident in her magic, more powerful, she is starting to think bigger plans about the Grounds. About Halo. Helping her people and the land alike. When she has bartered the book out from the old woman's grasp, she happily returns to Nate's side, humming a noise of intrigue as she takes his offered arm to let him lead her onward. Already she has secured such a fantastic find, but she'll take any other hidden gems he can direct her to. The man they approach seems to know Nate, and the large bag he pulls out makes Evie's eyes gleam like a starving fox. She strides forward confidently to meet him, pulling out her own side bag with her tradable items as she strikes up conversation with the merchant.
EVIE
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
Well. He had asked for her opinion, and she had given it to him. All of it. Nate's steps actually slow a little as he watches Evie speak, eyes widening, head nodding along. He waits a beat after she finishes to speak himself, both to digest everything (that he could, there was so much he'd forget something), and to actually formulate some kind of response. "I wouldn't want to set up something that's trying to replace anything, or to be some kind of alternative. Ideally, I'd want to work with people in each area to offer emergency options, and some training in non magical first aid. So things like the volcano, or what happened at Fiat Lux last year can be managed better by everyone." He isn't really sure if he's coming off as the exact kind of person she was wrinkling her nose at, but at least she's given him the chance to expand on an idea, something he had been planning on floating by Phoebe, after enough time had passed that he felt comfortable going back to Grounds. "Eventually, I'd want to work together with people here to help refine their methods. I went through a lot of training for... techniques, and general knowledge, but I don't know everything available here, right?" He laughed brightly, then glanced over towards Evie, brow raised casually. "Might be nice to have a local hand with that."

The flower cart is one of the easier, more reliable places Nate had found for seeds, the garden atop his own clinic stocked with samples he'd gotten here, but he still lingered a little closer, payed a little more attention as Evie began to barter. The man running the cart was the type who'd demand a mile for an inch, and it had been enough of a struggle for him to get a good deal. Evie seemed the type to take care of herself though, so he stayed quiet, not feeling the need to step in, unless it was really needed from him.
NATE
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
His interest and attention is compliment enough to his character and dedication to this plan of his. Especially accounting for the fact that her own fervency can be considered off-putting. His response, just as long-winded and thought out, only elevates him in her esteem. "I think that would be the best idea, and you can certainly use the volcano eruption as a way to easily insert yourself before their pride and distrust become barriers again." It feels odd to help this relative stranger find footholds in the medical field in Torchline when it doesn't involve her, but it's a pleasantly odd feeling at least. The more of them out there trying to do good and spread awareness the better. The failure of his predecessor would hopefully pave the way to progress and success for Nate.

It makes it all the more surprising when he then faces her, charm and mischief gleaming in his bright eyes, and subtly proposes some sort of connection between their expertise. It's just as flattering as it had been when Loren offered her the assistant position. That anyone would take her advice seriously, would value her talent and hard work enough to want to partner up in some fashion, is something that blows her away even now. "I don't have the advantage of knowing Torchline's methods, but I'd be happy to help however you need me." Warmth suffuses her tone, tickled pink and easily flattered after years of humble work in the shadows. Evie words it specifically to try and inspire more information from him, unsure how he would like to utilize her craft.

The haggling is a good distraction, and a fierce rapport is struck within moments of the two hard-willed souls meeting. Evie is famously stubborn, and the gleam in the man's eye only makes it clearer that she has met a valiant match. They both walk away partially disgruntled - as all good trades inspire - but at least she has the seeds she so dearly wanted. "Where now, tour guide?" The gentle jibe is called out as she approaches Nate's side once more. Perhaps they should be parting soon, but she will enjoy his presence until one of them is forced to depart for home.
EVIE
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
It makes him feel a little better to have Evie's approval, both as a natural, and as a fellow healer. This isn't really the kind of thing he had much experience with, despite the confidence that he wears like a familiar coat. He feels a little more like he's on the right path, at least. "I have a real clinic set up here now, and I'm hoping that'll help my case somewhat." He laughs, thinking to the thin trickle of patients he'd had already, the people he'd built a rapport with. The offer he extends to her is a little spur of the moment, but the grin on his face is enticing as he can manage. "Well, if I can get everything set up the way I'm planning on it, there would be a branch where ever there are people to support it. I'd appreciate your help in general too, I mean... I want to do right by people, but I can get ahead of myself sometimes."  

He's given some time to think, once it becomes clear that Evie can more than handle herself in this particular battle. Another thing to be impressed by, considering Nate himself had nearly walked away the first trade he'd tried to make. If he could get her on his side, it would make things easier in the long run. Someone to lean on, who was interested in the idea. Really, he'd done bigger with less justification.

Evie returns to his side, the look on her face familiar, and pulling a bright grin to Nate's own lips. He loops his arms with hers easily, already sweeping her into the crowds again, though he has no real destination in mind this time. "Maybe..." He squints up towards the sky, then drops his gaze back to her, shrugging his shoulders. "There's a pretty good fish shop near here. Could get some food, chat a bit more?" He keeps the suggestion light, his eyes on her. He has some time to spare before going anywhere, and he's love to pick her brain some more, maybe get an actual plan laid out.
NATE
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
"It likely will, especially if you advertise helping with any lingering symptoms of ash inhalation. Things most people here wouldn't know how to deal with, and which aren't immediate wounds that have likely already been tended to." Ah, again with the unnecessary rambling. But she can't help but give advice, eager to see him succeed where so few others have. Relatively alone herself in this world of medicine and caretaking. The offer of a separate branch is even more flattering, though she's not entirely certain how it would work. Perhaps she could adapt the apothecary? Evie is the only remaining medical presence in the Grounds now, and it's quite an intimidating role. "There's no presence aside from my apothecary in the Grounds after the close of the College. I think that would be a great idea." Warmth seeping into her tone easily.

It seems their shopping is done for the time, and she lets Nate sweep her into the milling crowd, happy to follow along though it's unclear exactly why they remain in company with nothing more to achieve. Evie finds she doesn't mind, already fond of the man and willing to sacrifice a few more hours in the goal of knowing him better. And food? Well, that's just a bonus. "I think that sounds perfect," she announces cheerily, and lets Nate lead her onward to this shop he recommends. Surprisingly pleased that he had cornered her creepily in an alleyway.

- FIN
EVIE