a forked path ahead
Phoebe
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
HARPER
The aftermath of his disastrous training with Phoebe has left Harper unsettled and unsure of himself. When he'd spoken to Kiada about Tova and what her loss had done to him, he hadn't felt like it mattered that he hadn't moved on. Now, in the wake of Oliver's and Phoebe's indications of interest (at least they were not outright confessions, he already aches at having hurt them) he wonders if maybe there's something wrong with him. That he should have let go sooner? Or at least that maybe it's finally time to move on, even if the idea makes his insides shudder.

Though he's been careful to be out and about more often to give Phoebe her space, the fact remains that they still live together, and today finds Harper upside down on the couch, reading a book whole his forgotten tea steams on the table. It's the closest he can get to hanging by his knees from a bar at least. The book itself isn't the most entertaining he's ever read, but it accompanied him well enough as the quiet sounds of the clinic settling surround him and chase the worries temporarily from his mind.
and I was thrashing on the line
somewhere between desperate and divine

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
i am a brutally soft woman
Phoebe hadn't been around much either, mostly because she had been prepping for the move to Torchline. A lot of things had to be worked out...and she wasn't going to forget her roommate either.

She had heard him come in, despite being upstairs, carefully packing things into trunks. Personal things. Medical things. Things she could trade. She didn't have much so it really wasn't that hard. But once she heard him settle she quietly made her way downstairs, not realizing that Branbast was following along behind her. Had Harper even met him yet? She wasn't sure nor was it at the forefront of her mind. "Do you have a minute?" she asked as she came around the side of the couch, tilting her head dramatically to line up with his view.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
HARPER
Harper pauses in the middle of turning one of the pages as he hears quiet footsteps descend down the staircase. It's a brief hesitation, but then he returns to reading. Surely Phoebe could be coming downstairs for any manner of reasons? Apparently not, and he couldn't help the small grin at her owlishly craned neck.

Setting his book aside he flips fully over his shoulders to stand smoothly, turning and sitting in a more proper manner conducive to conversation. He most certainly hasn't met the Seat Car yet, and gives a curious blink at the creature, but he suspects the cat is not the topic of conversation today. "Of course. What's up buttercup?" Moving his book to the table in case she'd like to sit, he looks up at her expectantly.

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Branbast trotted up to the coffee table, wiggling his little butt before jumping up onto it. He fft fttt fttt'ed at Harper - to make clear who was in charge around here. Clearly it was the kitten.

Phoebe blinked a bit at being called buttercup - if only because she had never been called that before. But she quickly shook it off and smiled a bit. "Uhm...well...I was wondering if you wanted a job? Because I have one I think you would be really good at." she said.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper mimicked the cat's noises playfully, not in the least intimidated and more charmed than anything. The scruffy, old appearance is adorable on such a young creature to say the least. But there's more to focus on than a new (pet? companion?) and instead focused on the blonde before him.

Now it's his turn to blink a little stupidly, the topic completely unexpected. "Um...a job? Well, yes I've been wanting one I suppose, I don't do well with empty days," he chuckles, though she likely knows that with how stir-crazy he can get. "What job would it be?"

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
The kitten bounced back, eyeing Harper suspiciousky as he stood in a stereotypical scaredy cat pose. "Branbast, stop it. Leave Harper alone." Pgoebe said, chiding the kitten.

"Well..." she started, pausing as she realized this was going to be...a lot all at once. "Frey asked me to go run the brothel in Torchline because the workers need someone who can take care of them. I was going to offer to leave the clinic to you as your own home but..." she paused again, watching his expression closely. "Torchline is a pretty dangerous place, and the brothel has been pretty run down...so I was wondering if you would come and be the guard for it?" she said.

"We'd have to live in the wagon for a bit while the building is fixed, but its basically a full house inside there anyways."
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Ah, Branbast it is. Harper chuckles slightly at the kitten's shocked and frightened pose, amused by how quickly it goes from confident and imperious to taken aback.

Turning his attention back to Phoebe instead, he admittedly is a bit...blown away by how much has changed in such a short time. He's no stranger to sex work of all sorts, and it wouldn't be his first time protecting them either. Though this would definitely be in a more official capacity. "I would be happy to help protect the place, and the workers." Of course he would, it's practically in his blood. "But moving to Torchline...that's a big step, and what about the College?" He hasn't been informed of any of her choices on that front, but he suspects she will have to relinquish her title over it if she intends to do this. "There's not much keeping me to any one place, so...I don't think it would be a big deal for me personally." But she'd lived her so much longer. He can't help but wonder why she's suddenly packing up and moving on at Frey's behest.

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
She blinked, surprised at how easily he agreed to the job. That...had gone over a lot quicker than she had expected. But his questions and concern lay elsewhere. Her honeyed gaze dropped to the floor, twirling her fingers around each other. "I've decided to close the College. There are basically no students and the only one doing any research is me." she said, shrugging a bit. "And I don't need a giant space to do my own research."

She glanced back up at him, smiling just a bit. "I'm glad you'd be willing to come...I just...need a change I think."
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
"I suppose that makes sense, and people can still seek you out at the brothel for home care." Or perhaps she'd have a back room, though Harper is admittedly unaware of how willing people would be in Torchline to be seen at a brothel and be mistaken for what appointment they may hold. He's not one to care personally, but hopefully it won't impact her business.

"I understand. I don't have much by way of items or affairs, so...whenever you're ready I suppose." He gives an unsure smile, unaware of just how far she has come in her packing. And if things go wrong, well, who's to say he can't move back? Moving is much easier in this world than his own.

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
She smiled a little and nodded. "I'm thinking once the brothel building is made actually livable then I can use the wagon for things like that. I could even take it to make home visits during the day." she said. She had put some thought into, which would hopefully encourage him. This wasn't something she was doing fully on a whim.

"Well, there will be some time still. I still have to finish packing...and I haven't even seen the brothel yet." she said, voice a little shakey. It was something she wanted to do. It was something she needed. But it was a big change nontheless. "I...do you think this is stupid? What I am doing?" she asked.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper hasn't seen the wagon yet, but considering how large she said the interior was he's not too worried. Though it sounds perfect for a mobile practice of sorts. "I think that's a great idea. Do we need to barter for some sort of horse for it?" Still unsure of the boundaries of magic in this world, with how it's both progressive and yet so rarely used at the same time.

The quiver of her voice refocuses his attention raptly to her, and he gives her a supporting smile, reaching out to squeeze one hand gently before he can worry about the motion being too familiar. "Everyone needs change sometimes. And if it doesn't work out, nothing is stopping you from moving back. It doesn't need to be permanent, and if it ends up being so then you've made the right choice." While there are different implications about Frey's expectations and Phoebe's desire to please them, this at least is advice he can give.

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe smiled and shook her head. "Nope! It moves all on its own. Do you want to see it? she offered, tilting her head slightly.

But he grabbed her hand and squeezed it, and the simple reassuring gesture did a lot to calm her nerves. She smiled a little at him, nodding at his words. "I suppose. I've just...made so many poor choices in the lasy year it's hard not to doubt myself a little." she admitted, squeezing his hand back.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
A magical wagon? "Of course I do," he chuckles, reminded yet again of the magical wonders of this place. He is still not at peace with it, too many years of dangerous magic-wielders encroaching on his city to be truly comfortable with the idea. But he won't turn down an opportunity to explore whatever this wagon can do.

She squeezes back, and there is sympathy in his slate glaze as it fixes upon her face. "Poor choices in the past don't lay the groundwork for our future, or we'd be screwed the second we broke something important when we were kids." It's a small bit of amusement that he hopes will help pull her out of that anxiety. "All you can do is try."

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
So the adventure began there as she led him out to the wagon beside the clinic. Of course, from the outside, it looked to be a very standard wagon. But she pulled down the steps and opened the door, stepping into a space that was suddenly much bigger. To one side was a decent sized if simple kitchen, a full bathroom across the way, connect by a comfy living room type area in the center. At the back was a smaller bedroom and off to one side was another bedroom, the ceiling of which looked like a realistic starry sky. "So this would be our home for a little bit." she said with a small smile.

At his advice she nodded, sighing a bit. "It will be nice in a way, having people to take care of. People who really need me."