(o) moral of the story
Open!
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 0 - Strg: 9 - Dext: 8 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
i spent this year as a ghost and...
He’s been given the chance to do more things around the workshop. He’s been told to run some deliveries as well without the prying eyes of his parents. Yet it still doesn’t help the dread that coils in his gut of having to do it. He doesn’t know where to start, too sheltered and kept in the back of the workshop and hidden at home to know exactly how to talk to people.

But today’s his first day, manning the shop and taking orders for the upcoming Deepfrost and LongNight. So he tries to put on a brave face, notebook in hand, fingers twitching along the charcoal as he works to design something someone had ordered previously as he waits, verdant gaze downcast to the notebook waiting for the inevitable ring of a bell.

He hates this already, too fidgety to be sitting in place when nothing else was going on, preferring to work with his hands and take his mind off of the dread of talking to people of all things. But he’s been told to sit here and take the orders. And that’s what Glas does.
& I'm not sure where home is anymore
GLAS
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
KORBIN
And round about his home the glory
That blushed and bloomed,
It was not his day, his month, his season or even his year, and it was written all over his face. Korbin carried the long suffering expression of one who had been mortally offended but was trying to shrug it off as a joke, but as he pushed open the door into the shop, it was moderated into the best semblance of his usual sunny mask. The result... was mixed. Mostly it just came off as lofty arrogance.

Dark eyes made a quick sweep over the interior, and landed on the young man sitting by the counter. A brow rose up in quiet surprise, but the smile turned perhaps a touch more genuine. Approaching, he produced a note and offered it up; a request for some previously ordered goods for the Kraai that supposedly was done.

There was an uncharacteristic silence about Korbin. None of the pleasant banter he might normally have tried while on his run.
Is but a dim-remembered story
Of the old time entombed.
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
The bell rings, and anxiety begins to set in immediately – the charcoal making a sharp line through the diagram he’d been working on in his notebook as he tries to push it away a bit awkwardly. He focuses on the figure that approaches, the air about him, and Glas can’t help but to swallow hard as soon as Korbin’s eyes land on him. He feel so small in comparison, moving to stand and refrain from wringing his hands, so he settles for the slight tapping of his foot.

The smile is met with a wide eyed look, unsure how to take it and so he immediately averts his gaze to the note offered, reading the request on it. He remembers working on a few of these, and his gaze briefly flickers back up to Korbin to scan his face before he can’t help but to chew on the inside of his lip, taking the note and setting it down with a nod. Did this guy talk? “I-I have a couple of these on hand right now… The rest of it…” He pauses, turning to look at the shelving that holds much of the same kind of wares that the Kraai had ordered before – a popular look as of late – before his curtain of blonde hair whips back to focus on Korbin (more accurately anywhere but his face). “M-Might take a week... To make… If that’s okay?
GLAS
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
KORBIN
This was the problem with running errands at the moment. The vendors and shop keepers talking back. It was expected of course, part of the trade, with haggling and wrestling conscience against profit... but right now, Korbin wished very much that things could be more straight forward.

He saw the lips of the other person move, but none of the words reached him. Not the tapping of a restless foot against the floor, nor the echo of the doorbell reverberating between the walls. He moved in a bubble that swallowed up all sound, even those of his own making... And aside from frustrated, it left him feeling bereft.

"SoRrY. I can'T HEar yOu," he mouthed, feeling the pressure and vibration of his voice in the throat, but wasn't sure the volume, timbre or tone came out right. Hopefully he wasn't shouting at least... He pointed a finger to his ear and shook his head to clarify, just in case it didn't come across.

The frustration in him was palpable, a restless resignation with nowhere to go.
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Change author:
He waits, anxiously, for Korbin’s response – somewhere internally already beginning to shrivel up with the thought of getting yelled at by this stranger for not having everything on hand… And when Korbin does speak, the boy winces, visibly, at the sound of it – how loud it is in comparison to what he was expecting. And he looks up surprisingly, lips ajar ever so slightly as he begins to mumble his apologies automatically – before realizing the implication of the words.

A hand trembles, reaching over to grab his notebook and flip to an empty page, bypassing a flute diagram he’d been working on, taking the charcoal to write in his chicken scratch handwriting. ’I have a few of these, but the rest might take a week to get done if that’s okay.’ He manages, as quickly as he can, turning the paper and sliding it over toward Korbin with his hunched shoulders, head ducked a bit, refusing to look at Korbin’s face.

He hopes it’s okay, unsure how to speed up the process unless he works day and night the next few days. Which… He could, but it would be an awful lot of work and already he’s so exhausted from this alone.
GLAS
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
The wince told him enough about the volume, and how excessive it must have been. Korbin made a face, wishing he could apologize, but thought better of trying to speak again. At least the other kid was quick on the uptake; he stepped over to the counter and watched as the blonde youth flipped through pages in the notebook until there was an empty page.

Something flashing past in the previous pages had caught Korbin's attention... but when he took the book and the offered charcoal, it was just to shift them to him, so he could scribble a response, in a flowing handwriting gone just a bit off kilter by the crude writing tool.

"That's fine, no rush. If you can set these aside, I'll collect them all when the rest is done."

He showed the writing to the young man. Then, slowly, he flipped back a few pages, to have a closer look at what had caught his interest. It really was the scribble of a flute. A good one too, and he raised a dark brow at the sight.
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Change author:
One thing Glas realizes quickly, is that he sounds far more professional through writing the notes than actually having to talk about it — even with how experienced he was in the crafting process. His body language needed work, but this at the very least might be a start. And if Korbin couldn’t hear him, he could technically blabber and stumble as much as he wanted.

So when Korbin shows the note back, Glas’ gaze flickers up to spy the words — some relief crossing his face as he goes to stand and gather the already complete products from before, setting them into a box on the shelf to the side that had been dubbed Kraai. But as he turns back to Korbin, he sees the man has flipped the page to the flute he’d been working on — and the youth’s pale face grows scarlet, hands reaching for the book before he stops himself and starts to wring his wrists. “It’s… It’s just a flute, I was messing around.” He manages, before growing further scarlet and remembering he can’t hear.

Glas sighs, the anxiety eating at his stomach, head and gaze ducked once more, as if he’s been caught doing something he shouldn’t have.
GLAS
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
He didn't need hearing to recognize a nervous excuse when he saw one. Korbin cocked his head aside in a birdlike manner and regarded the kid, with quiet interest. He wasn't too familiar with this person. Knew their name, of course, like he knew the name of everyone in town, but Glas was a recluse. This was the first time Korbin had dealt with the younger Westfall.

His gaze lingered on the scar that marred the boys face... but he moved back to the flute, making no comment.

"Can you make instruments? Mend them too? I could use talent like that, if you're interested" he scribbled, making use of the charcoal again.

Then he handed it back, and tucked his hands into the pockets to wait for a response.
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Change author:
He doesn’t pay attention to Korbin, almost as if he’s waiting for a reprimand and mentally preparing himself for it. He almost doesn’t want to look at what the Hale has to say on the book that slides his way — but curiosity eats him in the end and Glas finally lifts tired green eyes to read the words on the page. He works at his lower lip as he considers, stopping himself from wringing his hands more as he reaches for the charcoal to add his comments in.

I’m not really supposed to. But I can, I want to.” He writes back, pausing a moment as he figures out how to word exactly what he wants to get across. “What needs mending?” There, that sounded very official and promising, despite the way his fingers tremble ever so slightly as he hands the charcoal back to Korbin, still not meeting the other man’s gaze, focused instead on the page in front of him he turns back to the man to write his response.
GLAS
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Korbin waited patiently for the message to be read. For Glas to think, and scribble down a reply. In the meantime, he looked about the shop, considering the items. Went through a list in his mind of what he would have to do once this visit was over. More errands for the Kraai, quite a few for home that had piled up. He might consider a trip to the Palace for one of Loren's promised lessons in healing too... though part of him wanted to forget he ever considered accepting that. Better save it for LongNight.

The notebook was pushed back, and after a quick glance at it, he wrote down the reply. "There's a hairline crack in the soundboard of my lute. Not too deep yet, but I want to fix it before it gets worse. Can you do it? I'll pay you good."

The lute in itself was worth everything Korbin had to give, and he would happily double what he had traded away for it, to make sure he didn't have to give it up. The lute was more than just an instrument to him.
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Change author:
He slides the notebook back, waiting and spying a small amount through his peripheral vision to try and see whether or not Korbin responds visibly, but the man seems quiet enough as he reaches for the charcoal, pulling it back to write on the sheet of paper and handing it back – something that Glas’ eyes immediately go toward. The idea of a fixing up a lute seems simple enough, and he gnaws on his lower lip as he considers it, reading the rest of the lines, finally looking up to look at Korbin a bit more intrigued.

Only for a few seconds though, before he gets a bit more anxious, and nods and lowers his head. He doesn’t know what he’ll want in return for the work… But something had to be better than nothing, and even if it wasn’t the work his parents had wanted him to do… It was still work, and a decently interesting project aside from making more and more cups and dishes for the approaching LongNight and the Palace.

He takes the charcoal and writes on the paper before slipping it back to Korbin. “Can you bring it over?” He lets his gaze flicker up to Korbin’s briefly before it falls again back to the paper – wondering what exactly he was getting into. Hairline was easy enough, but he was also used to people explaining things in ways that were... Far more wrong than they were right.
GLAS
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
This writing and passing it back and forth was time consuming and tedious. It annoyed Korbin that he had to resort to this kind of thing, when he would have been done a long time ago if he could just speak. He brooded over the shrine visit, tried to figure out what had gone wrong. Had he not played well enough? Was his request - his plea - that conceited? All he wanted was to atone... but perhaps this was the gods response. Fair enough... no mercy for killers.

When Glas responded, Korbin nodded. Then realised the other wasn't looking at him, and resigned himself to the charcoal again.

"Sure, tomorrow." He paused, considered something. With a bit of a grimace he added, "Do you have something else I can write on? To take with me." Another notebook or... anything that would help him communicate.
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Change author:
The charcoal gets handed back and Glas finally looks up once more to read the writing offered from the other man. A sharp nod is given before the next request is asked, and the young man can’t help but to furrow his brows briefly, thinking of what he had that he could spare. Surely his father couldn’t get too upset if a notebook went missing?

Or… Better yet, one of the old chalk boards they had used years ago and never quite picked up again. He steps away from the counter, scrounging in a cupboard behind him, pulling out a dusty chalkboard and a pack of the chalks, some used and some pristine, others slightly broken before he focuses on what might help Korbin, what might help him make a better impression.

He takes the board over to his station, as quickly as he can, and punches two holes into the metal that held it in place, reaching forward to grab a string of sorts to tie it all together — wrapping it around the chalk while also becoming a makeshift handle to hold onto.

He turns back then, grabbing a piece of pale chalk and scribbles onto the surface. “Is this okay?” He writes, offering the briefest of a smile before erasing it with a charcoal stained sleeve, handing it to Korbin for a trade back of his notebook.
GLAS
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Korbin accepted the chalk and slate, turned it over in his hands. It wasn't too big, not overly cumbersome to carry around.

"Perfect," he wrote, offering a half grin to the other as he opted to use the slate instead of the notebook. "What do you want for this?," he added, realizing he wasn't sure how much it was worth.

He could think of a number of ways to repay, but left it to Glas to suggest something he actually wanted or needed.