cut the cable on every table I lose
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
– NATE –
"The festival? Oh." Nate rolled his eyes, settling down into his chair a little more comfortably as he did. "I didn't quite catch what it was about, but I couldn't miss it." Knowing that it was some kind of interpersonal drama somehow made it less interesting though. At least neither of them seem to find fault with his reasoning though. Hotaru's comment pulled a smirk, a huff of laughter from him, but the words from Sunjata actually do something to soothe and vindicate his feelings both.

For all that vindication is actually worth, with the way anger now floods Nate, calmed, only barely, by the hand on his shoulder. Blue flick to Sunjata quickly, then to Hotaru, before settling, for a moment, somewhere between them, letting the conversation wash over him until he's put back together enough to spit more than spite and venom. "Even if you are feeling the urge to settle down, you could do better." Much better, in his opinion. "And you can be more hands off with a business, once it's set up properly." After all, Sunjata had how many bars? Surely a spa could be delegated similarly.

Nate sits up, takes the bottle to refill his own glass and let the other two have their moment, what feels like a callback to something he hadn't been a part of. He can't abide not being a part of something for long though, refuses to let himself feel like an outsider, and leans in again, resisting the urge to put his hand out and on top of the attuned's like some kind of strange game, and focuses on Hotaru completely, unblinking gaze perhaps a touch more intense than he means. "Where are you going to be staying through Deepfrost?"
I’m in trouble for the things I haven’t got to yet
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 4 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 57 - Luck: 40 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9347
HOTARU
She's in a long black coat tonight
Waiting for me in the downpour outside
Recognition dawns on Hotaru in quite the similar manner, recalling the Festival and how she'd looked up from Deimos' side at all the commotion. At the time she'd recognized Loren, but his meek departure had kept her from summoning the energy to get involved. It had not been an easy day for her - for any of them. But this, despite her initial and presently lesser but inescapably there misgivings, is helping to ease her down from a precipice she hadn't even noticed she was standing on before now. She hides her uneasy expression behind her glass as soon as Sunjata refills it, self-loathing writhing in her belly to be wrestled at a later hour lest they catch onto her.

It also keeps her from immediately responding to Sunjata, to snap in the way that she wants to. But there is still something cold hiding the hurt behind her eyes as she turns it fearlessly towards him. She may be fine with how they parted, capable of being friendly or at least civil, but this particular topic is one she has already cried on his shoulder about. "And if I wanted to be tied down? Promiscuity and romantic hopes are not mutually exclusive." It takes effort to keep her neutrality, but it comes out smoother than she anticipated. Though she tips her head in acquiescence of the idea of being too good for the healer, a wry grin settling in the corner of her mouth. "Better is subjective when there's so much competition these days," she points out with a mischievous lilt to her tone, cutting her eyes purposefully over to Sunjata who is quite the guilty party here. How many people had he taken off the board for availability already?

Despite this she doesn't shirk his touch, letting her hand fall so that her fingertips brush over his in quiet communication. For all her sharp edges, they both still manage to make her feel soft. "I'll keep that in mind. It's a deal." Both the concept of having a choice, and that he would miss her in some way if she went to Halo. It's a quiet vow that she knows Nate doesn't understand, but he has been respectful of their inside knowledge so far. Nate is not one to be ignored himself though, and she can't help the indulgent grin that escapes her control when he leans forward into her space immediately after. "I don't know. If not Halo, then...well, wherever I'm needed I suppose." Wherever Deimos thinks she should be, most likely. There are no other ideas in her mind.
singing "Baby come home" in a melody of tears
While the rhythm of the rain keeps time
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Level: 15 - Strg: 76 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 75 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
PETRONELLA - Mythical - Sea Panther
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
the sea speaks a little more honestly
A lot of things here and there, really. Lots before I even arrived here.” He offers Nate with a light shrug, a small amused smile sent both their ways. There’s a moment, as he’s explaining everything that happens, that he wonders what exactly is going on in Hotaru’s mind when it comes to what she might see in the summoner – and the gaze she levels with him is one that stills him as Nate’s words reach him – he holds his breath briefly. “If you wanted to, it would be different.” He offers her quietly – some kind of hidden apology in the words before he reaches out to place his hand on her knee and Nate leans in.

There’s a slight roll of his eyes. “Actually, from the sounds of it, Loren wears that title now.” He rumbles with a hint of amusement, trying to lighten the mood, though he shifts his hand a small amount to rub his thumb along her knee gently, internally hoping she doesn’t pull away from it. His gaze flickers to Nate then with a small wry smile. But the comment and the deal is made and he braces his elbows on his knees, head tilting a small amount as he considers Nate’s question paired with Hotaru’s answer.

And perhaps… Perhaps the alcohol had made him be a bit more blunt, a bit more open to the feelings coursing through his mind. His voice is soft when he says it, gaze flickering to the glass in his hand before he exhales a long sigh through his nose and looks back up to her face. “There’s always room here, Ru.” There always has been, really, in Sunjata’s mind at least.
to those who are willing to drown
SUNJATA
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Sunjata, without killing him <3
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
– NATE –
There is something in the way Sunjata and Hotaru talk to each other, careful barbs and guarded answers and almost apologies that Nate doesn't quite understand. He can see it, but it makes no sense to him, try as he might to work it out. Instead he offers comforts where he can, tries to soothe the almost anger with well placed flattery, and smiles. "Can't imagine too many people out there who can compete with you though." His eyes follow hers towards the attuned, another barb he doesn't quite get, but that makes his brows pull together.

The expression doesn't last long though, a bright grin breaking through it to shine at Hotaru as she meet's his energy, answers his question with a frankly boring amount of responsibility. He almost rolls his eyes, though the sigh from Sunjata keeps him more serious, more focused in the moment, and his response comes softer. "There is room here. And I'm willing enough to say I need you here, if that's what it takes to get some beach time." There's a soft laugh, his legs stretching out into her space, since he can't reach out at the moment, won't interrupt Sunjata's touch.

Common sense tells him he should really leave things well enough alone, that he shouldn't poke at them, not when things seem to be moving smoothly, but... no one would ever say he was gifted with self control. He does at least take a moment to think over how he's going to word what he want's to say, sucking on his teeth before he actually speaks up. "I know I'm uh... kind of late into this." He laughs softly, keeping his tone careful. "Did something happen? Between you two, obviously. I... feel like I'm missing something." He was as honest as he could be, at least, and tried to keep his eyes moving between the both of them, to not imply anything anywhere.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Age: 33 | Height: 5'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
HOTARU
It is a chaotic mix between her reaction to Sunjata's unspoken apology and Nate's soft flattery, one she struggles to control and claw into an appropriate shape that won't burn her throat when she speaks. She turns away from Sunjata, not knowing what to say to him. Cruelty would only make her out to be the jilted lover, and while part of that lingers some days she is proud not to have been crushed in his wake like so many others. Instead, she focuses on Nate. "You know just what to say to stroke a girl's ego," she laughs, glittering gaze calling him back to that night together and just how proficient he'd been in very, very different ways.

Her staunch refusal to look at the man beside her falters as his thumb sweeps over her knee, and she lets her fingertips caress over the back of his knuckles in silent apology for her own difficult nature. For their inability to ever come to real closure together. "Oh I'm sure he does, all the more reason to question what it is he wants." Hotaru has been tossed aside too many times before, the Launcelyn will have to prove himself if he has any hope of winning her over. Especially with such fervent supporters in Torchline, apparently. She's quite surprised by Nate's boldness, by Sunjata's sincerity, visage breaking with the rare wide eyes and parted lips that normally would be quite well-contained. Taken aback by their collective desire to have her here. It quickly resolves into a shy but chastising smile. "A boxing ring doesn't make a good home, and I don't make a habit of intruding on fresh lovebirds." Except on their wedding day, oops. Sorry Phoebe. (She's really not, but maybe faking it will bring her some good karma.)

Nate can be forgiven his curiosity, his bluntness, when she and Sunjata are so very blatant. Hotaru shrugs a shoulder slightly, only the barest hint of discomfort flitting across her face, there and gone. "I loved him for a time, in my own way. We fell into bed together at the very least. He means quite a lot to me, but he married Phoebe after I begged him not to, after I made myself quite vulnerable." There's no accusation in her tone this time, and just to make sure Sunjata doesn't retreat over his guilt she places her hand fully atop his and squeezes gently. "After the divorce he came and apologized and then moved to Torchline soon after. When I saw him again he and Maea were a good match, and I saw no point in revisiting something that had not come to fruition once before." Quite a clinical, neutral explanation, but it's the best she can do. Hotaru isn't going to throw her glass and cry over Sunjata hurting her, or feeling abandoned. "I still care a great deal, but it's merely platonic now. You don't have to worry." Her smile is weak, but she has to tack on that last little bit because she knows there's something between them, and she doesn't want Nate to feel the same competition she once had. "And I'll apologize for both of us, for doing that awful unspoken conversation thing people shouldn't do in polite company." She gives a slight snort at the idea that any of them are 'polite company', much less together, and she drowns it with the rest of the alcohol in her glass to preserve the sanctity of her emotions after spilling all that.
Hotaru has a passive magic that makes her glow with an internal golden light; it makes her appear youthful and her hair seems to look like moving sunlight. Can only subtly illuminate dark spaces.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Age: 34 | Height: 6'5 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: King's End
Change author:
Nate’s agreeance is granted a small smile back, a dip of his head in agreement to both him and Hotaru’s statement – a snort slipping from him with Hotaru’s own chimed laughter. Some tentative lightness to his chest as he feels her hand brush along his knuckles, a silent apology that he understands and offers a nod back in response to Loren. “Exactly.” He agrees – but Hotaru was smart, far smarter than he is in most aspects, and it’s something he can appreciate with her honesty.

We do have a house, you know.” He rumbles with a hint of amusement that almost begins to grow –

Until of course, Nate’s words reach him, the question of what happened between them and already he can feel his stomach sinking – the urge to withdraw his hand from Hotaru’s knee strong enough to cause his hand to twitch, to lift a small amount before her hand covers his own and she begins to explain – part of him expecting the tear down (after all, he certainly deserved it, didn’t he?)

And then she says that she loved him, and Sunjata’s head lifts his gaze toward her, sharply, brows furrowing as he swallows hard and tears his gaze away to look somewhere between the glass and where Nate sits – one hand remaining on Hotaru’s knee because that’s all he can do, the other coming up to rub at his jaw briefly, to his neck, pausing to not add more – but he can’t quite keep his mouth shut. His gaze flickers toward Nate with some shadows within, a soft sigh parting from his lips. “She told me not to go and see Phoebe – that she… Has a tendency of manipulating me into doing things. And low and behold...” Honestly? That’s exactly what happened. Still, it eats at him.

But she continues, and his hand turns to squeeze her own gently, a soft sigh leaving him. “I wanted to try again… Later, when I got my shit together. But timing was never quite right, was it?” Which he absolutely didn’t have his shit together. Ever. The time was never right. Ever. And now? Now he has Nate – probably one of the best things to happen to him as of late with everything else that’d happened. And his gaze finds Nate’s, similarly apologetic in nature with his smile before he sighs quietly. “That’s actually far nicer of an explanation than I was expecting, to be honest. I fucked up. As per usual.” A shrug of that, a tilt of his head, his own smile shifting to something masked as much as he doesn’t want to.
SUNJATA
Sunjata speaks with an Australian accent and has a passive magic that makes him produce a subtle scent that matches exactly to whatever those around him most desire him to smell like.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
– NATE –
Nate can't help but meet the grin, the glittering eyes, with his own bright smirk, his unblinking stare. "Stroking is one of those thing's I've got down to a science." He brags easily, eyes moving around as if daring either of them to argue with him. Talk of Loren, even in such roundabout ways, is still staunchly ignored by Nate, not wanting his good mood ruined all over again with conversation of the Launceleyn. So he nods along with Sunjata, not at all worried about Hotaru intruding anywhere.

The question he asks, the jump from the frying pan into the fire with both feet first, seems to affect the both of them in very different ways. Sunjata's shifting like he wants to crawl out of his own skin, prompting Nate to lift a gentle hand to his back, an anchor of sorts, of he'll accept it, and Hotaru seeming almost unfazed, or like she was trying very hard to seem unfazed, an effort to the nonchalance that makes it disingenuous. Though his eyes also widen in surprise at the declaration of love, something like guilt clouding in his chest, though it had never bothered him in similar situations in the past. "So it's just... right place, wrong time." There's a short nod, Nate not wanting to linger on the marriage, the absolute clusterfuck of an event that had been. He does set his drink down though, reach out with his newly freed hand to rest it on Hotaru's shoulder, to offer the same kind of support, or at least try to.

There's a tilt to Nate's head when he looks to Sunjata, listens to him add his two cents into the explanation, and he finds himself shaking his head. "I wasn't... I'm not worried. It's just... a kind of fucked up tangle. I... didn't think it would be something like that when I asked." It still felt like he didn't quite know enough, like he should be some kind of guilty, some kind of apologetic to one of them, Hotaru, probably, considering how she had gotten the short end of the stick here, but he doesn't want to be.

"It's just... shitty the way it worked out, huh?" Nate laughed softly, trying to add some levity back into the conversation, trying to backstep hard into the way they'd been talking before, because he can all but feel the spiral starting in Sunjata, and he isn't even sure how to deal with Ru if she starts a similar kind of mood. "You don't... no one did anything... out of malice, right?"
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
HOTARU
They both react in far more conspicuous and painful ways than she had wanted, but not unexpectedly. Hotaru is glad that Nate is there to help Sunjata away from the brink, from sinking back into himself in the way he does best. All she has is the hand that squeezes his, as they always seem to do. Reaching across vast spaces and dark pasts to hold onto one another. This is no different, though her own placid expression becomes a bit sad at Sunjata consistently taking the blame upon his own shoulders. Hotaru is sure that Nate must, at best, feel uncomfortable with her own confession. So his touch is relatively unexpected, though she relaxes quickly and spares him a soft smile.

It helps a little that Sunjata admits to wanting to try again, at some point. But what worth is it? It didn't happen, and she won't allow herself to dwell on it. She can't. She won't hang her hat on a hook that was never by the door, she won't cling and beg for love like she used to as a naive young girl. He has moved on, and so she must as well. That is the nature of things. "Unlike you, I don't place an exaggerated amount of blame upon your shoulders." He is given a slightly exasperated glance at this before she turns back to Nate. "Something like that. I know it wasn't what you expected to hear, we don't have to speak of it further." What else can really be said anyway? Hotaru has spoken her piece.

The forced levity has her giving a humming laugh of her own to try and embolden it. Needing it just as much as the doctor does. "No, nothing out of malice. And I'm happy, for whatever you two have found together. You -" her voice falters and fails her, and her free hand clenches so hard that she has to set down her glass to try and conceal it, as if she's merely gathering her thoughts instead, "- you both deserve so much. I gain my own happiness from knowing you've finally found something worth staying for." Even if it still hurts that it hadn't been her. For either of them.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
Nate’s hand to his back is one that does anchor him, that steels and settles the turbulence in his stomach at the declaration. And he leans into it a small amount, keeping his hand at Hotaru’s knee, the touch from Nate like a stone in comparison to the waves that crash from Sunjata toward Hotaru — however much he wanted to keep it hidden. And then the Ascended reaches out and completes the circle, hand resting on Hotaru’s shoulder and Sunjata eases a bit more.

Hotaru’s words are sharp and to the point and he offers a small smile back, that same almost masked one of attempting humor despite the step in the dark he tentatively takes. “Ah but I’m so good at it.” He rumbles instead, turning his head back toward Nate, swallowing down everything else he wants to say that would paint him further as the bad guy. Hotaru had said it was done, and the look that crosses the Valkyrie’s face is one that Sunjata knows better than to cross. So he grows silent again.

Even if she tries to hide it, he can feel the tension in her as she utters the words, and his gaze lingers on Nate to give her a few moments while he decides whether or not to give into that similar feeling, that similar sharpness of regret. But he doesn’t, because while he had loved Hotaru, he had also been the one to tell her she deserved more than he could offer. He feels that way about everyone, though, Nate included… and at the end of the day, Nate was still there. Still chose to put up with his bullshit.

He sighs through his nose, reaching out with his other hand to latch onto Nate and pull him over with him to the space that Hotaru sits, sitting at her side and hoping Nate sits opposite — a look granted toward him similarly apologetic before he reaches out toward Hotaru to pull her into him in a hug, one hand lingering on the Ascended, the other hopefully wrapping around Hotaru tightly. “You can stop pretending, Hotaru.” He says lowly, a small frown crossing his face again. He doesn’t apologize, doesn’t offer more than that, because who’s to say it wouldn’t just fall on deaf ears? A half hearted apology?

She needed more than he could offer, but with Nate there he wonders if it might be enough. Nate was enough for him, but Nate also had so much to give, had made Sunjata far more touchy and in tune with the feelings he craved and wished to give, and at this present moment to keep himself from diving down into the depths of his mistakes, he hopes that he and Nate can be enough to pull Hotaru out, to let her trust him again, to let her trust Nate as well.
SUNJATA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
– NATE –
There is something strange to be the most put together in a conversation, but more and more it's a place Nate is finding himself. He doesn't have anything more than his hands, his touch, words, as usual, failing him when he really needs them, but he's glad that his attempt is not shrugged off, by either of them. A low huff of laughter escapes him at Hotaru's description of the attuned, his hand rubbing a comforting circle on the other mans back.

And Hotaru, at least, seems to be more than willing to go along with his attempts, for a spell. Nate offers her a smile, nodding along with her words, until they stumble, until she stumbles, and then he is very suddenly out of his depth again. There is an almost unbearably painful clench in his chest, because this is not what he'd meant, not what he'd wanted. It was one thing to fly in the face of the dead, but another thing entirely to have hurt someone he knows, someone he likes, even unintentionally. And he doesn't know what to do, because Nate knows at this point that he is not letting go of Sunjata, even for her.

The hand at his shoulder doesn't do anything at first, Nate solid and still until he turns and sees the look, sees what he's doing. Quips and jokes and all manner of other, less appropriate things jump to his lips, but Nate stays quiet, none of them feeling quite right, quite enough. The hug will have to be enough, Nate's arms wrapping around the both of them tightly, only hesitating a moment o give Hotaru the chance to push him, them away if she so chooses. If not though, everything he lacks in physical warmth is made up for by passion, by hands and fingers twisting in where they can, his head coming in close to bump against Sunjata's.

Maybe there isn't any need to let go of anything. Maybe he can just hold on to more than one thing at a time, can pull them into his chest jealously. It seems like such a simple idea.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
HOTARU
His humor is only met with a bland look. "It's not a skill you should flaunt." She has been fighting since day one to help relieve him of that burden, and yet he masochistically seeks it out day after day. Nate clearly has been helping at least if the way Sunjata calms beneath his touch is any indication.

For all the brief moment of respite and quips had lasted, it seems everything spirals out of her control within mere moments. Sunjata tugs her in close by the shoulders, and his quiet voice seems to echo in her ears. She is a maelstrom of emotions, wanting to shove them both away and spit her venom, because she is fine. She despises being treated as if she's fragile, as if she's just another of those weak willed emotional women that Sunjata attracts magnetically. Hotaru hates that he reduces her to that, even as she sinks into the embrace helplessly, hiding in his shoulder so that she doesn't have to look at Nate. There is a fine tremble to her entire body, but she does not cry. She would sooner bloody her fingers to pluck out her own eyes than allow that right now. It would be a physical hypocrisy of her claims, and she is happy for them. It is not a lie, even if that happiness is at the cost of her own.

Nate includes himself in the embrace, and her breaths go haggard and uncertain, but it's all she will allow herself. It is a cruel kindness, to be wrapped in their arms as a cold and paltry consolation prize. Hotaru knows they're too kind to mean it that way, which is all that keeps her in their arms. But she straightens eventually, glad for her dry face as she composes herself and puts distance between them, as should be appropriate. "Thank you," she forces herself to say. "I'm sorry. I'm not normally such a wreck, and it's certainly not your fault." A steadying breath, and she digs her nails in her thighs for lack of anything better to do to prompt some control. "But the wedding this time better be more enjoyable, is all I have to say." Trying for levity, for distraction.

There's nothing else she has to say. She won't make them feel guilty for finding each other. She is merely the shared ground between them, and Hotaru may be many cruel and unjust things, but she won't insert herself here. Not at their expense.
Sunjata Wrenzaok
the Flood
Archon of King's End

Change author:
He breathes a quiet sigh of relief as Nate joins in, his hand moving from Nate’s shoulder to wrap around the Ascended’s back as they both move into her space, as his other arm wraps around the woman between them, as he feels Hotaru relax and meld with the both of them there, Nate’s head nearing Sunjata’s in such a way that as the attuned brushing his cheek along in his own silent comfort, his other hand rubbing a soothing circle on Hotaru’s arm. She sinks into his shoulder, and Sunjata tries to offer all of that comfort — of how strong she is despite the slight tremors that he can feel (that part of him is sure that Nate can feel with the stillness of the Ascended) but says nothing to it.

When she moves to request space, he grants it to her, but his arm still rests behind her — hand along Nate as well, gaze flickering from her to Nate, a small hidden smile returning with the alcohol at her quip before he's readjusting himself in the seat and drawing a long leg up, focusing his attention between her and Nate, his arm still at Nate’s shoulder, stroking idly and needing to touch.

We… Uh, haven’t really talked about what we are much.If at all. He offers perhaps a bit sheepishly, glancing up at Nate with a gleam of lightness to him despite it — really trying not to dive deep into the shadows as he usually does, actively making an effort because his tether is there. “But I’m happy… Really. He pushes me around when I need it.” Lips curve into a smirk at that before he shakes his head, avoiding all the things that would make it awkward with Hotaru there — the things he wants to say, like how he’d be content to get lost in those electric eyes the rest of his life, drowning in that toothy grin he pulls when something’s particularly amusing, the unimpressed huff he gives despite not needing air when Sunjata’s being obnoxious.

She doesn’t need to hear it, but he finds himself shifting the conversation away so they don’t slip. “Why don’t you two tell me what you both were up to?” No jealousy in Sunjata’s heart, just a keen interest in what it had taken to get Nate to dive into that side of the waters. If it had been anyone, he could see it being Hotaru.
SUNJATA
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
– NATE –
Nate sinks into the embrace like a drowning man, not minding at all the way Hotaru leans further into the other man, not minding the way she trembles. All he wants is to offer some kind of comfort. Something that isn’t just a consolation, that he’s willing to offer again and again, however much it might be needed. He knows he would be content enough, to stay like this for a while longer.

It takes a moment longer for him to respond to the push away, though he doesn't move far, held in place by Sunjata's hand, the little smile. "You're not a wreck." He offers immediately, gently. "And if this is you being a wreck, then I'm fuckin' impressed." The mention of a wedding has his eyes flicking back up to the attuned, a moment of worry grabbing him, for whatever reason. It's unnecessary though, something that could have gone dark, could have twisted strangely held in the light, and Nate offers a wide, warm smile to Sunjata. And a shallow, pleased nod as the attuned says he's happy, Nate's eyes almost swimming as he mumbles out a response. "I take care of you. I don't mind it, for the right people." He might not be prone to big, flowery statements, might stumble and choke through anything with a little too much heart in it, but he could lend support.

The subject change feels a little jarring, though that's probably for the best. Nate still feels like he's being swept along in the current of whatever exactly is happening, but moving in a different direction feels safe. Despite where it's going. "I think it was just... right place, right time." A loose shrug rolls over his shoulders, his eyes darting over to Hotaru. "I'm glad my first trip over the river was so enjoyable though." A cheeky wink is shot towards the woman, Nate unable to hold in a soft laugh.

Some part of him knows this should feel stranger, or harder, or something. It shouldn't feel like this is a long worn habit, like this is something he's used to, and yet that's exactly how he feels. Comfortable. His arm shifts to wrap around Hotaru's shoulder a little tighter, his fingers tapping nonsense beats on Sunjata's shoulders.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Hotaru Kaito
the Valkyrie
Masseuse / Headmistress

Change author:
HOTARU
There is a type of peace here, encased in their arms. A tremulous bubble perhaps, but peaceful nonetheless. If she ignores how she feels greedy and burdensome, she can just...sink. Enjoy the physical closeness that is missing from her life. She longs for the days of her homeland, for the easy touches and constant physical reassurances. But her image matters more in the end, her control, and so she must eventually withdraw from the safe haven they created for her.

Nate's compliment makes her cheeks warm more than normal, still grasping at her emotions to wrangle them into some sort of whole. "One of the few ways I'm low maintenance, you'll have to take it where you can get it." It's so easy to joke with him even when her nerves feel so raw, and it's rather uncomfortable when she thinks too long on how easy it is to let him guide her through this tangle of a conversation. A level of trust she's unaccustomed to feeling this soon.

Admittedly she's surprised that they haven't talked about the details of their relationship, but then again Sunjata at the very least is not much of a talker without alcohol and some degree of trauma to kick it off. Nate's response makes her stomach twist with a jealousy that Hotaru can't discern a direction to, but at least she can control that from showing on her face. "What a boring response," she teases instead, but her smile is tranquil as Sunjata's words soak through her. "I'm glad. It's about time." He has been through person after person, searching for the proper fit, and she's happy he has finally found it.

Nate describes their own entanglement in vague terms that helps keep her from feeling awkward or sparking up the pain that had already overwhelmed her earlier. She leans into the arm he keeps draped around her, lips twitching with mirth at the abnormal but appreciated compliment. "A glowing review." She turns her gaze back to Sunjata. "A single night together, it was what we both needed. I certainly don't regret it either," she laughs quietly and nudges Nate's arm with her shoulder slightly, playful. For now she can banish those darker thoughts, smooth over the pain, and merely enjoy their company. That at least remains untarnished. The purity of the fact that she enjoys being around both men.