not so hot on why
Prayer for The Voice
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
SAMUEL
stretch out my life & pick the seams out
To say that Sam was conflicted would be an understatement.

It had already been a draining time to begin with: He had decided to break things off with Loren and that choice had sent him on a whole journey of wondering if he was destined to be alone forever, he was finding himself unable to engage properly with his work; the Ascended meeting could not have come at a worse time.

It was clear Wessex was unhappy with him, to say the least. How everyone else felt he wasn't sure, but ultimately there was one opinion that mattered to him more than anyone elses: The Voice. She had given them a choice, but would she be disappointed in him for voting 'incorrectly'? To be the only one that had tipped the balance and made it so they couldn't fight? (Though he wasn't quite sure why the Ascended didn't just ignore his vote and continue without him: maybe because they were actually smart enough to know the majority of them would not survive).

The whole thing left him shaken and full of questions. He had initially come to the shrine just to feed, but found himself kneeling down before the statue and deciding he had to ask the questions that were swimming around his head. "Mother, are you there? I need to talk with you."
take what you like, but close my ears and eyes,
watch me stumble over and over.

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:

The thing that appears to Sam isn't the Voice. If it were to be compared to any one thing, spirit may be most accurate.

"She isn't listening."

It sounds like a chorus of children's whispers, like leaves shaking in a breeze. "She doesn't care." It sounds petulant and put-upon, though it brightens considerably. "You care, don't you, Sam? You care so much. Do you care about us?"
Coding base by Sky!

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
SAMUEL
Once again a prayer to the Voice was interrupted by a spirit of unknown origin and Sam physically recoiled away from the shrine, feeling very uncomfortable indeed by the sudden appearance of something unknown in what was usually a familiar space. Why was his mother not showing herself? Was she really that disappointed in him?

Thrown off balance as he was, he automatically replied. "I don't...I don't know who you are, to care about you." Sam replied, ignoring the first comment about the Voice: he'd thought it himself often enough.

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

"Mean! You're mean, Sam!"

The whispers turn to hiccuped sobs now, the childlike voices clearly hurt. Listening to them Sam will feel his own eyes start to well up, and tears upon his cheeks. "All we wanted was for someone to care about us, but you don't care. Just like her."
Coding base by Sky!

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Sam was already susceptible to tears (as we all know) and quickly found them running down his cheeks at the sound of the sorrowful voice, shaking his head in a panicked effort to restore some peace. "No, no! I don't want to be rude. I just--I want to know who you are. Please? I'm sure I could care, I could help, if you need it." This was the second time he'd found such a spirit at the shrines and while this one was different from the first, he was unsure if they were somehow connected.

Change author:

"NO!"

Gone are the whispers: instead a howl envelops Sam, the sound of weeping carried by the wind now interspersed with rain. "You're just like her! She doesn't care about you, and you don't care about us! You only care about yourselves! So fine! Be alone!"

A final gust of wind lashes around the bookmaker, and then the shrine is silent. Sam will find himeslef very much alone, and feeling very, deeply lonely for the rest of the day.
Coding base by Sky!

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Sam held his hands over his ears as the howling grew louder and louder, closing his eyes tight shut. He had no idea what this spirit was or what it actually wanted of him, but he had clearly failed it; his mouth opened in a soundless scream as the sound grew overwhelming--

--Then it was over.

Feeling intensely alone and strange about his place in the world, Sam slowly stood up, hugged his arms around himself and left, thinking it might be a good idea to spend the rest of the day in bed.