listen to the roar of the crowd
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Age: 40 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
nobody can give you freedom,
but you can create freedom.
The port was bustling with sounds, people. The overlapping voices created a roar, one that he found to be rather satisfying. He had his legal, high-end items front and center; though those who dealt with him knew how to ask about the rest.

Today, the biggest topic of conversation had been about the fabric used on the dresses, and where they were from. The fabric was soft, silky, and while none of the women who had approached him about them had managed to get him to give them one for less than it was worth, other items were selling quite easily.

He was writing down his sales, what he had sold and what he had gotten for the item, leaning against the railing behind of him. His ship, while not overly large, was docked behind of him, kept in his sight. It made for easy cleanup, piling unsold merchandise back onto the ship, and meeting customers after-dark for more discreet sales.

A shadow was cast over him, as someone approached the booth, and he closed the ledger and flashed a charming smile. "Good afternoon, what's caught your eye?"

Phoebe
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
One of the best things about re-opening a brothel that had been abandoned was getting to set it up exactly as she wanted to.

One of the most overwhelming and expensive things about re-opening a brothel was setting it up exactly as she wanted to.

Phoebe had been stalking the stalls, hoping to snatch a deal on goods she needed to furnish the place. She carried her bag of tradeable goods close to her chest, very aware that if she wasn't careful, they might get stolen. But so far, much of what she had found had been subpar or insultingly overpriced. But she hadn't given up yet! Phoebe moved over to a stall piled with fine fabrics and linens. She ran her fingers over them, finding them surprisingly silky smooth.

She glanced up when she was addressed, smiling warmly at the bearded man. "I am having to re-furnish the Halenani, so just about everything." she said with a light laugh. Fortunately, the Halenani had once been up and running, so a native like him would likely recognize the name.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
I will realize that we all need someone
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Age: 40 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Elias raised his eyebrows at the statement, "I'd heard it hadn't survived the eruption," he murmured, straightening to his full height. "I haven't got too many furniture pieces off the ship today, but..." He waved a boy over, tall, lanky and awkward.

"You're going to take over the stall," he moved towards the ship, nodding, "We can board, and see if anything catches your eye. Is there anything out here that's caught your attention?" She was messing with the fabrics, but that meant nothing.

Besides, she had said re-furnishing, which heavily implied she was looking for furniture, and not clothes.
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
"Well, the foundation is still good and the building is standing...but that's about it." she said with a light laugh as she shrugged. "So, survived might be too strong of a word, but it wasn't flattened." she added. She glanced at the boy and smiled at him warmly as he approached the stall before glancing back at the man who was clearly the main seller. Honeyed eyes drifted back to the silky fabrics.

"I had been looking at these. I need to make linens for the beds and other decor as well." she said. You see, re-furnished was just the tip of the iceberg. It needed everything. Not just furniture, but all the things that went on and around the furniture. "But I would love to see what you have on board as well." she said with a grin.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
"Big job," he stated, chuckling. As she spoke about needing the fabrics, the boy he had called over began to fold them up. Once they were folded, Elias claimed them and led the way to the ship.

"I doubt I've got everything that you need," he also doubted that she had enough goods with her today for everything she needed, "But we can haggle after." He wasn't a fan of haggling for each single item, when someone was looking to purchase more than one thing.

They boarded the ship, and he led her below-deck, where she would find various pieces of furniture, crafted from various woods, covered with old fabric to keep the damage to a minimum. "Feel free to look at everything." He was already thinking about what sort of longterm partnership he could get out of this woman. Brothels had upkeep, that much he knew.
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"Very." she agreed with a nod. An overwhelmingly big job if she thought about it all at once. By the time she noticed the fabrics being folded up she didn't have a chance to protest - she didn't know how much those were! - before the merchant took them and began leading her up the gangplank of the ship. Oh boy. Hopefully he wouldn't get angry if she didn't have enough to trade for. "Oh, okay..." she said, hoping that maybe he would give her a deal for bundling purchases.

Probably not, this was Torchline after all, but she could dream.

But as they reached his stock room, she immediately began perusing. Phoebe handled everything gently and with care though, even as she assessed how sturdy the various pieces were. Frankly she needed everything he had..."To be honest, if I had the means I could easily clear your stock..." she said. And really, wasn't that every merchants dream? To has such good stuff they sold out? "But unless you'd let me repay you in installments I don't know if I can afford this. It's all very high quality." she complimented with a smile. And she didn't expect him to let her get off with a debt to him - he didn't know her after all.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Her words caused him to chuckle, and he settled on a crate, the fabrics in his hands. "Well, debt certainly is not something I take lightly, but since you're doing such a big job," he smiled, running his fingers along a fold of fabric. "Perhaps we can figure something out. After all, a brothel is a functioning business, like any other, with something to sale."

He offered a charming smile, "You surely have something I'd be able to use." The man said nothing more, studying the goods behind of him. The fabrics alone were worth a great deal, but every piece of furniture...

Elias was thinking, considering if what he had in mind would cover all of this, now, and more later.
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
She pulled herself straighter as he began to speak, already sensing the way this was going. Now, she was aware that as a Madame, she was selling sex...but the more he said the more sketchy it sounded. Especially because they were in the hull of a ship. Alone. And he was clearly much more physically capable than her. "Indeed, it is. But to clarify, sir, I am the Madame of the Halenani." she said, a hint of steel coloring her tone. She might look soft and small and mild mannered, but she had the backbone necessary to navigate these sorts of situations...she hoped.

"I am happy to provide a discount on services to you or your crewmen to cover some of the costs - I would only charge the fee to pay the woman or man providing the service..." Which really, was quite a discount because it meant she wouldn't get paid for those services. "But I am also a trained midwife and healer. I have some medicines here now, but once my gardens are better established I will have plenty more I could provide you with." she said.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias stared at her, an amused grin crossing his face, before he laughed. The sound was loud, hearty, and cut short as he forced himself to be serious. "I believe you've misunderstood me, miss. I assumed you were the madame, what sort of madame sends her whores to purchase goods?" He raised a brow, almost questioningly. She began to offer a discount, and he waved a hand.

"I'd never take your pay away, and besides, I've no reason to partake in a brothel." He held nothing against brothels, or their workers. But it was not how he wanted to have sex. She began to describe her other items, and he hummed, thoughtfully.

"How about this, you'll get what you need today, for what you brought to me. Consider it a severe discount. And in the future, when you need something for the brothel, come to me, and only me." He held the fabrics out to her, still seated on the crate. "A long-term, mutually beneficial business deal, your business comes to me, for any needs, my crew will come to the brothel, and pay full-cost."
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe blinked at him slowly, brown eyes widening as he laughed. What...what was so funny?! But once he finally explained, a bit of color rose to her cheeks, suddenly embarrassed. Clearly she had been the one making assumptions. "A bad one, I suppose...my apologies for assuming." she said, swallowing her pride to apologize as she admitted her mistake.

And it seemed he wasn't don't shocking her. She had yet to meet a merchant who had not been eager to take her pay away as payment. And more over one who had no use for a brothel. Was he even from Torchline?

But then he explained his deal and she openly gaped. "Wh-what?!" she stuttered. "B-but...I can't accept that, I would basically be stealing from you at that point!" she said. Now, Phoebe liked a good deal but...by Torchline standards this was charity! And though it made her stick out like a sore thumb, she had some moral standards that made her feel badly about taking something like this.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Color flushed her cheeks, and he smirked, accepting her apology with a nod. And then she was staring, stuttering her way through why she couldn't accept his deal, and he raised a hand, "I'm not done yet." He stood, cracking his back as he did, it did not matter whether he was sitting or standing, his back always managed to hurt.

"When we trade, you'll trade herbs and medicines." That was worth more than regular goods to him, medicine was not something he knew how to make. "And you'll purchase the clothing for your girls from me," he stepped towards her, grinning confidently. "and anytime I need somewhere to meet with my clients, you will provide me a room." After a moment of silence, of studying her, he responded: "And if that does not satisfy your needs, madame, agree to go on a date with me." The grin on his face was more amused as if he were joking.

He once again held out the fabric. He thought it fair, as her business would be certain, presumably steady, and he would be using a room and taking away time that a customer could have with one of her workers. More than fair.
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
She blinked, staring at him as he stood and clearly had more to say. A lot more to say at that. And as he went on the more and more..unnerved she was by it. Perhaps if they had been out in the open it would have been different...but in a dark dusty boat hull she couldn't help but feel a little creeped out.

Phoebe crossed her arms as she looked up at him, eyes narrowing slightly as she came back from reeling from his initial offer. "I can provide you with medicines and I am happy to give you a monopoly on my business for the things you have that I need..." she said, careful to add that little qualifier in there since she was certain he wouldn't have everything she needed all the time. "But I don't understand why you would need to reserve a prostitute's personal bedroom for business meetings when you have a perfectly fine ship. And as far as a date is concerned...I'm not about to make bargains for anything of the sort while alone with you in a ship hull." she said kindly but with firmness. It wasn't her first nature to be that way, but she had to make it a habit. A Madame had to know how to stand up to intimidating customers after all.

She held out a hand for the fabric, waiting to see if he would place it in her hands as a sign of accepting her modifications to his deal.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
She was a smart girl. Young, but certainly smart. He noted the qualifier, a quiet edit to his wish for a monopoly, and chuckled. "So you were listening." He placed the fabric in her hand, a sign that he accepted their arrangement.

"Ah, sometimes my clients need solid ground beneath their feet, with the promise of a free fuck, paid out of my pockets, of course." He chuckled, wryly.

"If you'll tell me when you'd like the furniture delivered, we'll get that set up." Once she had the fabric, he was leading the way topside, his dark eyes bright with amusement. "You're the brightest person I've haggled with today," he complimented, as he stepped aside, so she could get off the ship first, ahead of him. Her response to the date had been expected; he lived here, he knew what it was like to be a woman here.

The boy was dealing with another customer, and he hung back until that customer left, "So we'll get this agreement in writing." He stated, waiting for the boy to finish writing down the sale he had just done in the ledger.
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
My, wasn't he just a man of surprises? She stared at him, clearly confused. "Don't most people listen when they are making deals?" she said. But her lips curved into a smile as the fabric was placed into her hands. Success!

"Well, a bedroom doesn't exactly suit a business meeting, but we have a porch and a balcony. I can make sure you have privacy to discuss business matters and then you can have them charge your tab." she said with a smirk. Then they both won, really. He had a reserved space on dry land, and he paid for her girls' services for his clients.

"In a week the building should be ready for furniture if it all goes to plan." she said with a smile. But his compliment was unexpected. "Now you're just trying to flatter me." she said with a laugh.

As they waited for the young man to finish writing up his last sale, she set out her bag and presented all the medicines she had. Some practical things , pain relievers, things for fevers, healing salves and tonics, things for sea sickness and sunburn, and some more specific remedies having to do with her trade as a midwife. But surly some of his crew or himself had wives that could use them. Or he could re-trade them.
When the static clears
And all is said and done