listen to the roar of the crowd
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Age: 40 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
nobody can give you freedom,
but you can create freedom.
"Mmm... young women who look like you tend to try to use their bodies to lower a deal, though I've had a few young women too busy staring at me to hear what I've said," he snorted. She was a breath of fresh air.

"Mm, that does sound much better," he admitted, with an easy smile. "Good, good." He claimed the ledger, ushering her to sit next to him, while the boy continued to tend the booth. She laid out the things she had with her today, and he hummed, murmuring, "Some of this stuff would have helped the boy's mother, it'll do my crew well." Some of the men's wives boarded the ship from time-to-time, though never while they were at sea.

He opened a new page in the ledger and claimed a writing utensil. "So we first need a list of everything you will buy, exclusively from me." He stated, writing in the bits of the deal that were pretty simple.
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
She looked surprised before glancing down at herself. Phoebe was delicately built, and though clearly female not particularly curvaceous. "Well if they look like me I doubt they get far except with the very desperate." she said with a light laugh.

As she took a seat, she noted his words about the boy, able to infer the meaning. "It is why Frey bid I take over the brothel, to make sure they are safe while doing their work." she said with a smile. Of course, she didn't know his entire backstory - she didn't even know his name yet - but tragedies during labor were common enough. Certainly more common in a brothel. "I will but any furniture you have that is suitable, either as a replacement for old pieces or new. Same with furnishings and raw fabrics. I will also instruct both male and female workers to seek clothes from you first." Again, first as in, if he didn't have something suitable, they'd go elsewhere. She couldn't limit entirely, but he would be the first and preferred vendor.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
I will realize that we all need someone
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Age: 40 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Elias arched a brow, looking her over with a chuckle, "You're quite wrong. You're a lovely woman, why would a man need to be desperate to say yes to you?" She wasn't the curviest woman, being delicately built, but she was beautiful, in her own way. "Each woman is beautiful in their own right, their own way." He explained, easily.

Hearing that Frey had told her to take over the brothel was surprising, but that did not show on his face. "Mm. It's good to hear someone with your skills will ensure everyone stays safe whilst working." He meant every word he said; he may not have cared for the boy's mother, but he did care for the boy and had raised him right.

She listed out various things, and he wrote them in, humming quietly as he looked over the contract. He held it so she could see, to give her approval, before he signed. "And please, let us know if you need any help, whether with rebuilding, replacing furnishings, or with anyone mistreating you or your workers. I live in town, with the boy, when we're not trading at sea." And he did not stand for mistreatment of those who worked in the profession.
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
"Well, thank you for saying so, but let's just say I have past experiences that color my perspective." she said. He might have a noble outlook, but she knew well enough that such opinions were easily said but rarely lived.

"Yes, Frey was not happy with the state that the brothel had fallen in to. They have done a lot for me, and I was looking for a change, so I was happy to come and keep an eye out for them." she said with a warm smile and nod. Phoebe took her time reading over the contract carefully - clearly her business sense extended beyond her haggling skills. At length she printed and signed her name where she was supposed to.

"Thank you for the offer and I will keep it in mind." she said sincerely. It was better to have friends rather than enemies in a place like Torchline after all.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias' lip twitched slightly, as she spoke up. "I see." Who had hurt this young woman? She was a few years older than his boy, he was certain. Too young to have that view on life, in his opinion.

"Well," Elias signed his name, rolling the contract up, "it's been a pleasure doing business with you, Phoebe." He'd read her name off the contract, "I'll have to thank Frey for finding someone to look after the brothel and the people who rely on it," his gaze wandered to the sky, quickly darkening.

He stood, handing the contract to the boy, as well as the ledger. "Get the crew to help you secure everything, and I'll meet you at home." He turned back to Phoebe, as he gathered the medicines she had brought to trade up into a bag, setting them beside the rest of what they had earned today.

"I'd feel better ensuring you get home safely, since it's getting late." There was still sun in the sky, but Elias would rather not lose his new business partner, or have anything bad happen to her.
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Who indeed? Pretty, smart, working at the behest of a god, and a mysterious past to boot? Was Phoebe even real? Only time would truly tell.

"A pleasure doing business with you as well, Elias." she said with a grin. "You should! Just remember to bring them a present of fruit. They especially like peaches." she said with a light laugh. Elias was a natural clearly and seemed smart enough than to need to be warned about the dangers of irritating a diety.

Her head tilted as he gave the boy instructions, curious as to what he was up to. She had been just about to walk off when he turned back. "That's kind of you, but if it's too much trouble I should be alright." she said point up to the sky. Directly above Pim the pink dragonling flew in lazy circles. Clearly the Madame was smart enough to not walk completely unaccompanied.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias took note of her statement, peaches for Frey. That was good to know. He arched an eyebrow, glancing upwards. "Why, hello. That's a beautiful speciman. Has it got a name?" He inquired, with a smile. That did make him feel better, but alas, "And it's no problem. I need a nice walk, anyway. Better with company," He wanted to get to know his business partner.

He'd wait for her to lead the way, and inquire with a lazy hum, "Can you tell me about safety measures that you'll have in place, for your workers?" He had no doubt she'd thought all of this through, being told to do something by a deity was no laughing matter, after all.

"And tell me more about the styles you're going for. Will each room be styled the same?" He arched a brow, "And will each man and woman have their own style of clothing?" This information would help him ensure he had things that were useful to their agreement.
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
The dragon roared but whether it was greeting or warning was anyone's guess. "That's Pim. He is one of the companions that Frey has blessed me with." she said with a small smile. He insisted on walking with her, which honestly was fine enough. Then he would know for sure where to send the furniture she had purchased from him. So she took the lead, heading back towards the main road of town.

"Of course!" she said with a smile. "I've hired one guard already - a friend of mine from Hollowed Ground that moved with me here. A very friendly fellow but very capable. And I've also a mind to install a bell system. This way, if a worker feels uncomfortable or in danger, they only need pull a string and it will notify me which room to send help to." she said with a curt not. From above, Pim roared again. "Oh, and there is Pim of course. Can't forget him." she said with a light laugh.

"It will all be the same for the start I think. Airy, soft, relaxing sort of feel. But from there, if people find a certain style fits them or their customers better..."> she paused, shrugging a bit. "It will be their home too, so it should feel like that for them."
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
The dragon roared, and Elias nodded, listening to her words. "You're really close with Frey, it sounds." He commented, idly, as he followed along after her.

She was excited to talk to him, about how she'd run the brothel, which was nice. "Oh, it sounds like you've got it all thought out." He was impressed. Twice in one day she had impressed him. Though, perhaps his standards were low. "A bell system, hm? I suggest installing it with something heavier than twine, otherwise it could be cut." He offered. He wanted to know the people working for her would be safe.

And of course, herself. As she mentioned Pim, he nodded, "Oh, of course. Can't forget Pim."

When she stated that, for the start, the brothels rooms would be the same, he nodded. That'd help him ensure he had furniture that would match, more or less. Her last sentence made him smile, "That's nice to hear. I assume you'll help your ladies through childbirth, if they become pregnant? Will the brothel have somewhere for the children, if they choose to keep them?"
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe nodded, a small smile on her lips. "Frey is my dearest of friends. They have helped me through a lot." she said, the adoration she felt for the herald clear in her voice.

She nodded to his suggestion about the bell system as well. "I plan to use a wire cording encased in metal tubing like service bell systems in mansion houses. Even if someone manages to cut it though, it would call a bell to drop onto the platform beneath it, so I would still know which room is in trouble" she said. Indeed, she had thought about this quite a bit. She was doing this for Frey after all; nothing could be overlooked.

"Childbirth or otherwise, whichever they choose." Phoebe said with a nod. Of course, she would always rather a woman see a pregnancy through, but ultimately she simply wanted them to be safe, no matter their decision. "I haven't really considered it, I've been more focused on simply getting the place running and habitable again. But I would do whatever needed to be done to accommodate that for them." she explained. So no plan yet, but that was about two or three steps ahead of the problems she was currently trying to address.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias nodded, studying her thoughtfully. She was an interesting soul, almost too pure for Torchline. Though, most souls were too pure for the shit that went down in this place. "Ah, good." He mused, studying the sky as they walked, catching glimpses of Pim here and there, but not exclusively studying the dragon.

Though a creature like that would sell for a good bit, he wasn't in the business of stealing from people he knew. Besides, most items he dealt in, he never knew their backstory, and that was how he claimed deniability.

"I see." He couldn't fault the midwife on her 'or otherwise' comment, after all, he had watched the boy's mother try to lose him as a late-term loss. Nothing had come of it, but early labor. It was best to have the option available at the start.

"I see. That's fair." He was already thinking on the topic, as they continued on. "Tell me something, Phoebe."

He slowed his steps, shortened his gait, and eventually came to a stop altogether. "What keeps you in Torchline?"
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Even though she was a little bit short than him, she noticed his gait begin to shorten and slow as he fell ever so slightly behind. She paused then as well, turning back to face him with a confused expression on her face. Phoebe glanced around, wondering if something or someone had caught his eye, but it seemed that wasn't the case. He just...stopped. Her lips parted as she began to ask what was wrong, but his own words stopped her. Though, his question did nothing to alleviate her confusion.

"I'm not sure what you mean. I just moved here." she said. There wasn't anything keeping her here per se, except for her feeling to duty towards Frey and the fact that she had just moved from Hollowed Ground to Torchline.
When the static clears
And all is said and done
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
"Ah, I see." He mused, he began to walk again, his hands in his pockets, and his gaze on the sky. "Torchline is certainly... a bustling place. Warmer than Halo, safer than the Hollowed Ground, less talked about than the Greatwood."

He flashed her a smile, "But Torchline tends to... give people a reason to stay, to never leave, for good. For me, that reason is a sense of... hm, pride, I suppose." He had been born and bred here, and raised into a merchant. "I wonder when you'll have an answer, for my question. I wonder what it'll be, that makes you stay. Perhaps it'll be the brothel," he chuckled, quietly. After a moment of quiet, studying the sky, he spoke again.

"For my son, he stays because he seeks... the good in Torchline, he's not yet found it. The good in all of the bad that happens here, it's like trying to find a pearl in a bin of oysters, really rare." He shrugged his shoulders, humming. "You should know, he was excited to hear the brothel would be under new management. He's got it in his head that his mother would have enjoyed working in safer conditions," The boy had never met his mother, never known her, and Elias had only known her briefly.

The two of them had created an entire woman from the short tale of tragedy that Elias knew. "And he's probably right. Neither one of us got to know her very well." He offers a sad smile, drifting into silence.

He's rambled, and he realizes this. It's taken him a while to get to his point, "Anyway, don't let the thing that keeps you here be something you hate. Or debt. I've seen debt destroy many persons."
Elias
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe fell silent as Elias began to speak, for it seemed he had a lot on his mind, as she walked beside him down the main street of Haulani. He finally gave her the full picture of the boy's past, and part of his, which suddenly put into perspective his interest and generosity towards her and the brothel over all. They both had reasons to wish to see it succeed beyond the very obvious reasons. How very Frey-like, she thought.

"It would be nice to have a place I wish to stay in again. It's been a long time since I've had that." she said quietly, glancing down at the road. It wasp probably risky to admit this, but she could hope that the Naturals of Torchline did not hold the same prejudice against Outlanders as those of Halo did. "I'm an Outlander, so I've had what I consider home taken away many times now. It would be nice to have just a little stability even." she said softly. And if Torchline was the place, then that was fine by her.
When the static clears
And all is said and done