level the playing field
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
JACK
The new world order of Torchline was in full swing, and Jack was learning to live with the reality of it. Honestly, he was affected only minimally by the changes, given that he had already made his connections with the new Governor, and he had since had conversations and clarifications with the Arbiter as well. Still, the volcanic eruption paired with the political change in landscape had meant that the Ark had been in the docks since Flowerbirth, and it didn't look as though she would be leaving any time soon with Deepfrost drawing in.

Put bluntly, the captain had itchy feet. And what better way to scratch that itch than with a few drinks and... well, who knew after that? There was supposed to be a new brothel opening soon. Maybe he'd see if it was taking customers yet. Propping his feet up on the table before him (Raza would probably kill him if she saw), Jack knocked back his whiskey and set the glass down, before relaxing back to listen to the humdrum of thought around him.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
zephyr
His crown lit up the way as we moved slowly
It's the go-to place at the end of the day, though you suspect that'll change with the brothel opening back up. Ugh, hunting for the people you're owed business from in that place sounds deeply unappealing.

But for now the Hanged Man remains the place to find your quarry, especially if that quarry is a shore-bound sea dog with a taste for booze almost as strong as his taste for treasure.

"So this is how yer passin' yer time, ay?" Armed with a large glass of rum a larger glass of water, you kick the captain's feet off the table without much by way of ceremony before sinking into a seat across from him. "Surprised Raz ain't kicked ya out yet. Here, drink." You slide the water across the table, fixing Jack with a stern stare that offers no room for argument.
Past the wondering eyes
of the ones that were left behind
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JACK
It wasn't until Zephyr was already upon him that Jack noticed the buzz of intent in the man's mind, and blue eyes flicked up at him in a piercing (and failed) attempt to stop him in his tracks. "Don't you fucking d--" Cut off entirely as his feet were pushed unceremoniously from the table, Jack was forced into a more suitable sitting position, too outraged to respond. It lasted only for a beat, at least. (Shut Jack up? Never).

"Wasn't aware I had to run it by you," he said, pulling a face at the water slid in his direction. "Surprised she let you in," he countered, taking a sip of the water on the off-chance that it might be something stronger, despite already knowing otherwise. Jack gazed flatly across the table. "Ain't got any business for you just now," he said, as if Zephyr might not have noticed their current predicament. "So you can be the bug up someone else's ass."
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
zephyr
"We both know she likes me better." You lean back in your chair with an unbothered shrug, letting your arms drape over the back. There's the ghost of a grin just outside of reach, the crows feet around your eyes deepening by a hair.

A chorus of cracks pop into the air as your head rolls on your neck. Straightening again, you raise a brow. "Nah, think I'll stick with yers. I've finally gotten used t'the stink." Again your shoulders roll in a shrug, muscular beneath your shirt.

Before the pup has a chance to retort you take a slow pull of your rum, holding up a finger in an attempt to keep him quiet should he try to interrupt. When you're finally done you set the glass down with a solid think and a satisfied ahh that the swill in no way deserves.
Past the wondering eyes
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
"We both know she finds me more interestin'," Jack snipped back on autopilot, taking another sip of the water because it was there and because his other glass was empty. "And attractive. And successful. Actually, I'm pretty sure she likes me better too." A smirk started to curl across his lips, and he settled comfortably back in his seat - propping his feet right back up on the table, too.

Lips parting to (obviously) quip back at Zephyr, the captain was left in a curious state of perplexed outrage as he was told to wait. So wait he did. And when the other man was finished and satisfied with his drink, Jack threw his glass of water over him. "You can get me a better drink on your way to the bar," he drawled. "Then I'll tell you 'bout the new Governor."
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
"Keep sellin' those lies, maybe someone'll buy 'em." Again that almost-grin shifts your face, making you look younger than your grey hair and tired eyes might suggest. Oh, you know Raza likes the lad well enough, but when shit hits the fan? Interesting and attractive can only get anyone so far.

Here's a new addition to the list of shit you don't expect but probably should have: Jack deciding to fucking douse you in the glass of water you so politely provided. Sputtering your surprise, your eyes grow wide for a moment before you settle back down, shaking your head aggressively to dry the silver curls. "Refreshing," you quip in a low voice, now openly flashing the boy a grin. And then, snatching up the empty glasses you add: "As you wish, princess."

Here's a new addition to the list of shit Jack may have expected because he really should have: the now-full glass of water you set down firmly on your return, and the swift kick to the shins that suggests he get his legs the fuck down. Settling back in your own seat, once again armed with rum, you raise your tankard. "To your health, kiddo."
Past the wondering eyes
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
"In Torchline? Guarantee it." Jack grinned a shit-eating grin as he left the other man soaking wet, watching him prowl away to the bar and leave his telepathic range. "Ahem, queen," he corrected, itching at the scruff on his chin and occupying himself in looking, briefly, for the lady of the conversation. Alas Raza was nowhere to be seen to teach Zeph the error of his ways.

Ah, but then Zephyr was back and kicking him and giving him water again and fuck this for a good time. Snarling his annoyance at having his legs forcefully removed from the table - and it was a very well-known ally indeed who could get away with such behaviour - Jack righted himself and toasted to his health as well. "May my shins be steel and my aim be true," he said.

"Anyway. New Torchline Governor. Know much about him?"
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
At least this time you aren't rewarded for your efforts with a face full of lukewarm water. The drink you take this time is smaller; now that showboating is over and business has arrived, you'd rather not be drunk. Instead you push the mostly-full glass of rum across the table as a show of good will and fair business ahead (an archaic thing and perhaps not the most hygienic, but the shared drink is as traditional as the handshake in these parts).

It isn't a surprising topic, though it isn't the one you're most interested in. Leaning back with your arms across your chest, you shrug. "Can't say much," comes the rumbled admission, "'Cept that he's an outlander, an' a young'un, too. Still, from what I hear he an' that husband'a his have been comin' down hard on the less upstandin' of us rogues, an' I can't say I take issues with that."
Past the wondering eyes
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
Abandoning his lukewarm water as Zeph finally got down to business as well, Jack took up the rum as it was passed his way and tipped the other man a toast. Taking a generous sip, he passed it back and heard the other man out, absently tapping a finger against the table as he listened. "I've met him," he said. "Sullen little prick, and he ain't that little either. Bribed me when we first met, though, so he's got his head screwed on right." Jack scoffed.

Raising his eyebrows in playful challenge - was Zeph calling him an upstanding citizen? The horror! - Jack nodded in agreement. "Aye, and his Arbiter is on the ball too. Lucky for us he's as crooked as the rest of us. So I can't say there's much difference in how it was before to now," he admitted. "Still, I got a job for you if you've a spare evenin' or two in the near future."
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
Seems like Jack has met the governor already, which begs the question of what he needs you for - but you're not quite dumb enough to talk yourself out of a job. Bribery's a good sign, sullen prickishness is unsurprising, and all around you're not too worried about this new regime, since it seems business will continue as normal.

Speaking of which... taking another sip from the rum, you swish it in your mouth thoughtfully before swallowing it down. "Never realized I was the type you'd wanna spend an evenin' on. I'm flattered, though I might be a bit old for ya, kiddo." You run a hand through your silver hair to emphasize this assertions, then take another sip.
Past the wondering eyes
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
"Aw, c'mon now Zeph. New brothel openin' up nearby - I'll spend a dozen evenin's on you if it helps you get your leg over. It might even put a smile on your face, you never know." Jack stretched, and the smirk on his face said that he doubted even a dozen evenings spent in a brothel would get Zephyr to crack a smile.

The captain let his gaze slide over his fellow smuggler's shoulder, absently watching the rumble of activity in the Hanged Man as they spoke. "The Ark is docked for now, but she won't always be. I'm keen not to let this new Governor forget about her importance once she's out at sea again. And the Aumakua where he lives is a bit of a walk. Your old legs could do with the exercise - fancy actin' as my go-between for any business that needs to happen?"
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
You snort. "Like I need your help gettin' laid," you shoot back, but it's less playful and more aggressive, the topic having hit a nerve. Your sex life is something you don't want to talk about with much of anyone, let alone Jack. Oh, you've taken your share of lovers after Ellie - a man has needs after all - but you've never been the type to go out whoring, a fact that Jack knows well.

You're grateful for the change in topic, finding comfort in talking business. Drumming your fingers over the arm of your chair, you listen to Jack's proposal silently, your expression close and quiet. "Fine," is your simple reply, biting back a retort regarding his inability to make the walk himself. Lazy jackass. "But you gotta do somethin' for me in return."
Past the wondering eyes
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
Raising his hands, Jack scoffed and fell silent on the matter. Trust whatever was between a whore's legs to snuff the fun right out of Zephyr; and by the way the conversation continued, it felt almost as though the other man had turned into a much grumpier shadow of himself. In response to Zeph's thoguhts, he hid a smile - busy jackass more like, but he let sleeping dogs lie.

"That's usually how this shit works," he said, to the agreement and the request for something in return. "Name your terms, we'll see what we can work out."
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
how do you wanna face it? when the end is so close you can taste it
Well if it isn’t my two favorite men. It’s too bad I missed their little dick fight over who I liked more, I’d have loved to set the record straight. Comin in from an errand, I notice (and hear - not just cause of the earring, but cause of Hoa) the two of em and drop the parcel off with Mik, grab a quick pull of something easy to drink, and head over.

“An’ what are you two pretty ladies whisperin’ about?” I say as I pull up a chair and sit backwards in it, placing my glass on the table between them. As I sit down, arms flat across the top of the backrest, there’s a bit of definitely a shit-eating grin on my face. I’m guessin’ they haven’t heard (and honestly, let’s keep the number who know small,  yeah?) about my recent promotion and how their lot just got a whole hell of a lot easier.