level the playing field
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
zephyr
His crown lit up the way as we moved slowly
You hate this version of you. The version that still spirals every time you think about her, the version that's only a shadow of the man you were before. You hate it because you know she'd hate it, but what are you supposed to do? She's gone, driven away by the very blackness you still cling to like armor, unable to deal with the loss of her husband so soon after her son.

Luckily the awkwardness is interrupted by Raza. Her shit-eating grin is a welcome point of brightness; you answer with your own almost-smile, jerking your head in greeting. "Discussin' your beauty as always, Raz." She's a balm to your old wounds, a reminder of the good days before Ray got sick and Ellie got sad and you became this hollow shell of a man.

Leaning forward, you offer her your drink in customary greeting. "Actually, you're just in time. I hear Apopo blowin' fucked up the Fingers somethin' fierce. You know anythin' 'bout that?"
Past the wondering eyes
of the ones that were left behind
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 35 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3601
JACK
Jack glanced up perhaps a second too soon, watching as Raza came to join them - and effectively ruining his attempt to seal that business deal with Zephyr. Distractions galore... and what was this about a promotion? The captain schooled his expression into a smirk oozing with crooked charm, and slid his drink across for her as well. "You don't have to take a pull from that one," he said by way of apology. "This cheapskate here got a refreshin' round of water for me."

Raising an eyebrow at the mention of the Fingers, Jack glanced between the two of them. "I heard a bunch of the usual routes were flooded with lava. Changed the whole place up." Another reason why the Ark hadn't set sail yet - who knew where they would be able to ship their goods, when she came back to port?
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
how do you wanna face it? when the end is so close you can taste it
I laugh at Zeph; he knows that flattery, even obvious flattery, will get him just about anything in this bar.

Clinking their glasses (and sliding Jack’s back to him, he probably needs the water more ‘n I do), I nod, gaze turning thoughtful. “Yeah, me ‘n Melita ‘n Sunjata went to try ‘n see if it was still passable. We managed to find our way to where all the tunnels meet, but there’s lava, floodin’, ‘n something dangerous down there. Two dead ‘uns with scorched faces ‘n messages about how it’s awake. I press my fingers of my forehead and rub ‘em against my hairline. “Most of the glyphs are still readable. Then there’s a whole other new passage from the entrance that we didn’t take.”

I look at the both of ‘em frankly. “If they’re gonna be useable, it needs a lot more explorin’, and it needs someone who knows the glyphs to go with whoever’s gonna fight whatever’s burnin' faces off down there.” By my tone it should be clear that that ain’t gonna be me. I’m a facilitator, not a fighter.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
zephyr
Ugh, this is exactly what you didn't want to hear. Lava, floods, dangerous shit- none of this is something you want to deal with, but you know you're gonna be the one to deal. With a low grumble you run your hand through your hair, looking up at the ceiling unhappily while Raza spins her tale. "Fuck." There's going to be a few more lines on your forehead for this, you know it.

At least you have all of Deepfrost to figure this shit out. Closing your eyes at Raza's declaration, you exhale a tired sigh. "Guess I got my work cut out for me this winter." Your head rolls on the back of the chair, turning so your can fix Jack with a bleary, unhappy stare. "Reckon your new Governor buddy'll be any help with this?" It'd be a good way to endear himself to the black market, but based on your experiences with the last asshole who clung to that title, you don't hold out much hope.
Past the wondering eyes
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 35 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JACK
Jack didn't need the water, but he set the glass down beside him nonetheless as it was slid back across the table. He listened quietly by as the conversation spilled out all around him, both to things that were said and things that weren't. He stifled a snort; Zephyr wanted to get involved, he bet - it was easy enough to say no if he weren't so eager to make an impression and stay busy. Fuck whatever deal they were originally making too, apparently.

"You'd think it was in his best interest, wouldn't you," he drawled on the subject of his new buddy the Governor. "I'll meet with him, see if I can point him in your direction. For now, three's a crowd, and I'll leave you to it." Jack rose to his feet. Not like he had much of a chance of getting drunk around the two of them, anyway. Ironic, for a bar.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
“Sit down, Jack, I ain’t finished.” Looking casually up at him as he rises, I have a tone I don’t normally use. Who knows what it actually says, but it comes out stronger ‘n intended. Like I mean it. I take a sip of my own glass and wait for him to either sit down or leave.

Once he’s made his choice. I lean in a bit, not wanting this bit of info to leave the three (or two) of us. “I got a secret position in the government. Remi called it a Liason but I still ain’t sure what I’m supposed to do with it, other than it probably has to do with spyin’ and smugglin’ and things.” You know, given that there’s a secret tunnel connecting the Hanged Man to his house. I shrug. “it might give me access to info afore anyone else. An’ more opportunities than before.” If they can imagine the perks I’ve already thought of, then they’ll understand the opportunity to control with information and misinformation.  

Passing on tidbits. Parts of the truth. Or the whole truth, depending on what side Remi and her people are on.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
"Thought I was the one doin' the meetin'," you remark, an eyebrow raised in surprise. A minute ago he'd decided your tired old legs needed the exercise; now he seems to be dismissing both you and Raza like you haven't been all in the shit from the beginning.

You take another sip of your rum while waiting for Raza to say whatever it is she's got up her sleeve, dark eyes carefully watching Jack to figure out what's crawled into his ass. The news is... honestly, you're not sure what to make of it. "Secret liaison, eh? Like between the governor an' us lowlifes, or...?"

You jerk your chin at where Jack is (or was). "Does this mean you're takin' over as a go between for the Ark? Finally givin' my old bones a rest?" You're not... thrilled, by the prospect of being out of a job. Though knowing Torchline, there will always be someone elses' product to move. And it's not like you have any fondness for Jack, or see him as a little brother, or worry he'll get his ass handed to him one of these days, or anything sentimental like that. It's just that you're an old dog in a comfortable position and you don't want to be learning too many new tricks.

And nothing more than that.

Nooooope.
Past the wondering eyes
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
In retrospect, it was the casual command from Raza that did it. Jack paused by the table to gaze down at her sharply, as if asking if she really, really wanted to do this. Upon finding that yes, she did, he snorted and started to walk away. "You've got VIP business down in Rae's Fingers now, Zeph. Wouldn't want to trouble you none," he said of the meeting with Remi. Anything else was lost, even with his telepathy, because Jack had stopped listening.

The door to the Hanged Man swung shut behind him; there were other places to drink at, ones that wouldn't shove his feet off the table or delegate him to sipping water like some boy fresh off the boat. Was it petty? Absolutely? Did it further his aims at all? Nope. But Jack was Jack, and he couldn't help it any more than the sea could help making waves.

{Jack out}
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
I watch as Jack leaves in a huff, keeping silent through his temper tantrum. Boy doesn’t like change, but it’s comin, like hell or high water. He’ll have to figure out how to work with it or sink like a boat run aground. Shifting my gaze back to Zeph after Jack leaves, I mutter, “Looks like someone forgot that respect and friendship is a two way street. Fuckin’ cunt.”

Well. Someone will also find out his tab’s due next time he steps into the Hanged Man.

Turning my attention to Zeph, I listen to his concerns and shrug. “I honestly don’t know, but I know I ain’t aimin’ to put you out of a job and I don’t want this position to be public, cause it’ll fuck with business. There’s a reason I ain’t dancin’ up there with him ‘n the rest of his Outlander crew.” Shaking my head, I can’t help but also sound a little bitter about it. No, none of us had stepped up, but -

Ah, well. You rarely get what you want in life. A lesson we both know well.

“I’m bettin’ it’s got more to do with info than an official go-between. Which means we control it.”

And if Jack had fucking stuck around, he’d have really liked that idea. Sucks for him.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
Well then. That was abrupt, but then so is Jack, and you'd already pushed the kid's patience before Raza showed up to help. Taking another sip of your rum, you rumble with a shrug, "Can't blame the kid. He's a long way from growin' up." Still, you're frustrated and unhappy with his sudden departure- you had more to talk to the fucker about, and now you'll almost definitely have to pin him down in the damn brothel.

Raza's explanation of her new position does absolutely nothing to clarify things, but again you shrug. "Better you'n me, Raz. Dunno how you can stomach that politics shit."

You run your hand through your salt-and-pepper hair, biting back a sigh. "Information's good'n all, but I'm a simple man. Long as I can keep runnin' my business with the Ark I don' much care who sits in the high seat." Chewing the knuckles of your left hand, you hum thoughtfully. "That said... It'll be good t'have one'uv ours keepin' the Outlanders in line."
Past the wondering eyes
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
I know it’s not ideal, not knowin’ what I’m supposed to do. And I know Zeph’s tone, when he gets to soundin’ like that. So I just nod and take a sip when he says it’s better me than him dealing with the government. “Tendin’ bar gave me a sort of patience and keen eye, I spose. Maybe I just see it as an opportunity more ‘n politicking..” A shrug. I don’t really know what I think of it as - maybe a bone thrown to the Naturals to keep ‘em satisfied. A ‘look, I involved someone y’all trust, I can’t be that bad’ sort of thing. Who knows. I don’t, I’m not the one that can read minds.

So I stand and clap Zeph on the shoulder, trying to reassure him. “You know I will. If I can manage drunk men, I can manage sober ones,” I say with a little chuckle, placing my quarter-full glass in front of him. “Finish it, I gotta get to work.” And unless he has anything more to say, I pat his shoulder again and head up to the bar.

{Fin!}