come crumbling down
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
KORBIN
Leave my loneliness unbroken!
- quit the bust above my door!
Blue stretched from horizon to horizon. A pale, steely color rarely seen, and so beautiful it gave him chills. Even in the light of early dawn it showed promise of remaining a fair and sunny day, but as with all things in Halo, it was a promise with teeth. The temperature had plummeted to brutal levels, and as the black raven winged its way over the Citadel walls, he felt the bite of it in every rush of icy wind along his feathers.

But he loved it. Loved the open expanse and the towering mountains, the brooding coniferous forests draping along the base of the Fangs and way the wind sang over the craggy rocks and valleys.

Home. It was home, he was home, and if Korbin ever had any doubts about belonging here, his brief excursions to other regions had quickly snuffed them out.

He felt lighter of spirit today than in a long while. It seemed a shame to waste the day cooped up in the Citadel.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Unfortunately for Korbin, he didn't have the sky to himself. Unsurprisingly, Loren was a less than deep sleeper. Slightly surprisingly, he still mostly kept farmer's hours. So he often found himself going for a flight in the predawn hours when he needed to clear his head a bit, and today was no exception.

When he spotted the increasingly familiar dark figure of the raven up ahead, the healer honked a greeting at Korbin. However, the Launceleyn was careful not to let his thoughts or emotions spill through the Attuned bond, and he made no motion to fly closer to the hunter. Instead, Loren just continued climbing lazily, strong wings beating as he let the Citadel grow smaller and smaller below him.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
KORBIN
Well, go figure. The raven didn't even miss a wingbeat as the call of the goose broke the stillness. Because Korbin heard none of it. Not the beat of wings in the air nearby or any further honking. He had no reason to look back, because what winged creature out here would be big enough to threaten a raven? Too big for eagles, too small for dragons to give a damn; he was used to flying unmolested, and it showed in the confidence of his flight.

More unusually, the mental walls of the young bird weren't so strictly enforced as previously. Some of that all encompassing love for this wilderness emanated from him, lending him a peaceful air that perhaps wasn't what most people expected these days.

Once enough altitude had been gained, the black bird set a course for the mountains, and shot off, intent on the forest not too far away.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
For quite a while, Loren was surprised at the lack of acknowledgement from Korbin. Then the healer was pissed, thinking that the hunter was deliberately giving the Launceleyn the cold shoulder. It was only as he realized that he was picking something up from the other man, and the raven began to fly towards the forest that Loren belatedly and embarrassingly remembered about the deafness.

Oops.

Feeling more than a bit stupid and bad about that, he found himself following Korbin towards the forest. Hey. It's Loren. Coming up behind you. He kept his thoughts as neutral and short as he could manage, not letting any emotion through. It's a beautiful day. I hope you don't mind me stretching my wings a bit.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
The thoughts reaching him elicited a pulse of surprise from the corvid. There was a sense of hesitation, a motion towards slamming up mental walls... but then, surprisingly, the youth actually relaxed.

"Do as you please." It was a repeat of the phrase he had used last time they were flying together, but somehow it came off rather differently. Less hostile, less cold... and the raven actually slowed a bit, to let the goose catch up.

For a time, there was only the rush of wind and the solitude of the landscape that flashed past beneath. Then: "Everything alright?"

It could almost be mistaken for conversation.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren prepared himself for a scornful or snarky remark from Korbin. When the healer got what sounded awfully close to a dismissal, except for the tone, he decided not to respond. Still, as he caught up he found himself flying level with the hunter, willing to accept the closeness and company for as long as the other man was willing to tolerate it.

The question caught him a bit off guard. It could almost have been mistaken for conversation, but it wasn't. Yes. Why do you ask? Almost, the Launceleyn was wary of the sudden interest.

That shouldn't be too surprising, given that Korbin had never particularly expressed a concern for Loren in the past. However, he was still keeping everything but the actual words walled off, even if the hunter wasn't.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Korbin blinked slowly. Stayed his wings into a glide for a bit, not sure why himself. It had just seemed like the thing to say. To ask. To maybe try and be less of a dick.

"No reason," came the slightly awkward reply. Except... maybe there was one. "Just figured... I wasn't the only one shook after... last time." After the incident. The killing. It still lingered in his mind, and he'd been given plenty of support from the Healer.

But who put an arm about Loren's shoulders after everything was said and done?

The bird breathed in the cold air. Let it claim his thoughts, keep them steady and clear. He didn't want to sink into the darkness today.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Finding himself drifting away from Korbin almost instinctively, Loren shifted so he was at least gliding in the same direction as the hunter. The raven's words surprised the healer again, albeit in a slightly more positive way. Oh. This time, a little bit of his emotion bled through: slightly confused, a little touched, mostly concerned.

I'm holding up alright. Keeping myself busy. Then again, that could almost always describe him.

Tilting his head so he could look at the other man, the Launceleyn didn't respond right away. When he did, it was tentative. How about you? How are you doing after everything? Once more, he did his best to wall off anything but the thoughts themselves.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Dark treetops replaced the white expanse below. Figuring the goose wouldn't be as nimble between the dense boughs, Korbin retained a fair altitude but did lower himself down somewhat. Dark eyes scoured the ground below for anything of interest; he wasn't really looking for anything in particular.

".. good. Glad to hear it." Listen, he wasn't good at platitudes. Making conversation was not what he usually spent his time on. But at least he didn't try to come off as rude or clipped.

And for some reason, he wasn't rejecting the emotions that bled through to him. In fact, the boy actually responded by sending something back. A ghost of all the turmoil that went on within. Anger, self loathing, frustration, hopelessness.

"Not wonderful," he admitted, the mental voice subdued. "Got into some stupid fights... One with an acquaintance of yours, I think. Sunjata?"

Keen eyes caught the sight of a squirrel leaping between branches below. Dark talons twitched with the urge to dive after it... but Korbin restrained himself. He'd just had breakfast.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Content to stay right where he was, Loren watched as Korbin descended slightly. However, the healer couldn't help the hint of amusement that slipped out of him along with his latest thought. Are you? Despite his best efforts, he let a little of his doubt bleed through as well.

However, he certianly wasn't upset with or mad at the hunter, just hopefully understandably wary. Still, perhaps the continued openness from the other man was getting the Launceleyn to relax his own guard, slowly but surely. And when he caught the darker emotions from Korbin, Loren instinctively responded with his own sorrows: the dull ache of old losses and the sharp agony of newer ones.

He was quick to follow it up with more comforting emotions, like the joy of stretching his wings or the serenity from the stillness of the world around them. And maybe, just maybe, his happiness with the relationships he was beginning to form in Halo, the roots he was putting down.

Geese weren't quite as good at ravens at spotting prey (for obvious reasons) and the healer was higher than the hunter, so the Launceleyn saw nothing. Instead, he just pulsed more amusement towards the other man. Who hasn't fought Sunjata? He usually deserves it for some reason or another. Despite the words, there was fondness in his mind as they spoke of the Arbiter.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
This was a kind intimacy he wasn't familiar with. His bond with Weaver went deep, but it was wholly different to be able to lay bare your soul to someone, and have them respond in kind. The doubt sent from Loren made him examine his own feelings. Did he mean the words he said, or had they been empty? "... yes. I am," he thought back. Sounding a bit puzzled about it himself.

The quick exchange of emotions was much more gentle than the previous one he'd experienced. There was a beat of painful silence before Korbin responded, and when he did, there was a deep regret lacing through his thoughts. "I don't think he deserved it this time... I threw this at him."

For just an instant, Loren would be given a glimpse of everything that went on inside Korbin. Loss, rage, grief, pain and every other black emotion lurking in the teenage mind... Not a pleasant sight. Definitely not you should hurl at someone like it was a weapon.

"He... struck back."

And perhaps he didn't need to say anything about what that had been like. He was still reeling from it, his subdued manners a direct consequence of that exchange. It had given the kid more than a little to think about.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren was fully taken aback by Korbin's earnest response. For a long moment, the healer didn't respond, just sorting through his own rush of emotions. Confusion, distrust, tentative hope, amusement, which all ended up settling on excitement, of all things. Well I'm glad to hear that! There was something stupidly joyful underlying the thought, though he tried not to overdo it too much.

As the hunter went on to explain what, exactly, had happened with Sunjata, the Launceleyn couldn't help the sympathetic and understanding echoes that traveled back down the bond to the raven. I see. Pausing, Loren glanced down at Korbin.

The healer began to descend towards the hunter's altitude. He's had a rough life. That was an understatement, but the Launceleyn was trying to acknowledge what the raven had experienced when blasted by the Arbiter's emotions. Did you apologize? And did he forgive you? Sometimes, that's all they could do when they fucked up.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Loren was glad to hear that Korbin was glad to hear that Loren was alright? .... Alright. This wasn't awkward at all. Made even more complicated by how the young man wasn't even sure he wanted to be glad. About anything. Especially this person whom he'd taken quite the pleasure in arbitrarily disliking. It was hard to maintain that kind of stance though, especially when he felt the ridiculous happiness bounding towards him from the other man. The image of a dog wagging its tail came to him, and the raven let out a warbling croak that sounded a lot like laughter. Too bad he couldn't hear it himself.

Birds couldn't really sigh, but if they could, Korbin would have done so. 'Rough' didn't even begin to describe what he'd felt in the man, and it left him very conflicted. He didn't particularly like the Flood, even after all of this... but how could he hate someone who had stayed and offered support while he was breaking down on a beach too far away from home?

"Yes. And I think so... though he didn't say it in so many words." The steady stream of comfort had been... answer enough, he thought.

The whole thing made Korbin feel... well it made him feel, and he didn't like it. The raven put on a sudden burst of speed, shooting off ahead. As if he might be able to outfly all the softening spots within, that he didn't know what to do with.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Korbin's amusement was met with a wry acknowledgement from Loren. He'd be the first to admit he had a tendency to push too far too fast. However, he toned it down a bit as they spoke about Sunjata. He's pretty understanding, once he gets some time to get over himself. I'm sure he forgave you. The healer sounded certain about that much.

As the hunter flew ahead, the Launceleyn found himself continuing his descent. He could vaguely sense what was going through the other man's mind, and he could very much see Korbin's desire to flee.

So Loren made a snap decision to see if they could channel all these emotions in a more productive direction. You know, it's been ages since I went on a proper hunt. If you're up for it, I wouldn't mind stretching my legs. He continued to head towards the ground as he waited for the hunter's response.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3