come crumbling down
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
KORBIN
Leave my loneliness unbroken!
- quit the bust above my door!
He felt the annoyance, but chose not to address it. As Korbin understood it, the decision to invite them had largely been Loren's idea, and he really failed to see why. "Can you blame them?" he asked instead, trying to keep his tone mild and unoffensive - attempting to take on his sisters way of answering with a question. "It seems an arbitrary decision." And of course, as always none of the people of Halo had been consulted before it was finalized.

The request did startle him. About to take off to follow the goose out of the forest, the raven paused on the branch, surprise leaking through the bond. A protest of 'why me' begged to be offered, but at the last moment, something Weaver said came to mind. Wait. Find the advantage in everything. And while he couldn't see it right away... Korbin had to admit that having those outsiders in his debt might be a far sight better than just whining about their presence.

"Alright," he agreed instead, surprisingly without complaint. "I can do that. I'm sure you'll be paying me well for the job, too." The latter part came out just a bit teasing as he took to the air and followed up through the canopy.

Business was business, after all. Korbin would never work for free.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Loren couldn't blame them, though he wasn't willing to back down from his stance that it was the right thing to do. All of them have been informed that they will need to bring supplies that will last the full duration of their stay. He was firm about that.

Then he sent a pulse of curiosity towards Korbin. How much do you know about LongNight in the Hollowed Ground? The monsters were inevitably branded into the healer's mind, but he should've realized others lacked his knowledge.

He sent back a pulse of amusement and agreement. Of course. Feel free to take however much of the wood you like. And if you'd like additional payment I'd be happy to discuss it. He didn't mind having to pay the hunter for the service. Quite the opposite, in fact: the Launceleyn was almost glad to have a normal interaction with the other man for once.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
KORBIN
Korbin had seen the note, which was why he was aware of the outsiders coming at all. It had not mentioned why though. "I know they will," he replied, still keeping a mild tone - which honestly was quite the rarity with him.

"I just don't see why they have to come here. Can't their government take care of their own people?

"Nothing really. Stopped by once to look for something at their notice board, that's all I've had to do with the place."

He had found what he went there for, and was left the impression of a chaotic region with poor sense of community. Too many factions warring with each other over what seemed entirely pointless things.

A pulse of contentment with the deal was sent back. The idea of having access to that kind of material - always sought after, always tradeable - set his mind awhirl with ideas. So many things you could do with it... Too bad his deafness made it difficult to take advantage in the ways he might like to.

"What do you know about curses?" he asked, after a moment's hesitation.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Loren didn't respond right away. And when he did, he did it with emotions and memory rather than words, at first. The image of monsters tearing apart a body right in front of him. Of a warning, scrawled in blood across a floor that he had ended up burning. Of the horror of never knowing when someone on the other side of the door was actually who they said they were. Of not knowing who had survived and who had died until after the darkness lifted.

During LongNight, in the Hollowed Ground, monsters roam. They seek out any source of light, of sound, of life that they can find and destroy it. There's almost no way to stop them, and even staying huddled behind walls doesn't work, as they're always trying to find a way in. Remembered terror echoed through the link. They take on the voices and demeanor, sometimes even the memories, of those you love, and use it to manipulate you to open your doors. When they're not just breaking them down. He paused. And it works, because sometimes, often enough, the person on the other side of the door is the person you love. And there's never any way to know for sure.

He let that all sink in. As he did, he tried to get his own rampant emotions under control again. It was a distinct relief when Korbin provided an excellent distraction. Not much, really. They can vary, based on how the god or being in question wants to punish the one being cursed. They're usually quite personal. The healer was surprised and curious, but also concerned for the hunter.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Well. That was a lot to take in. Even without the emotions Loren offered to emphasise what he was talking about, Korbin would have listened. Even if he didn't know that region, he knew Caido. Knew Halo, and knew their animals and weather was bad enough.

He was quiet for a long time. Flew on, and let Loren reply to his question before saying anything. When he did, the raven's thoughts were still subdued, quiet, and with far less objection in them. "I wish someone could explain that to all of us," he admitted. "It's not like we won't help if people just ask... But we gotta know the why of it, Loren. How can we understand otherwise?"

Again feeling the desire to sigh, the raven just flew on. Dazed by the glimmer of sun on snow, by his own thoughts. Lost in thoughts about the curses laid on him.

"It's why I can't hear. And why... why I'm stuck with hiccups," he confessed, embarrassment hot and uncomfortable at the latter bit. It was too ridiculous to even be funny. (At least right now.) "I guess... they knew where it would hit the hardest."

Leaving him unable to play music. The one thing he truly loved, beyond Halo and his sister.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren sent a pulse of understanding towards Korbin. You're right. We absolutely need to do a better job of communicating across the board.

For a long moment, the healer was quiet. I fuck up, sometimes, and rush through things becuase I let my eagerness overrule my common sense. I forget that I should talk things through before doing them first. I'm sorry. It was truly contrite, and he felt more than a bit guilty for foisting yet another unexplained change on the Halovians.

As the hunter explained that his deafness was a curse (and that he had hiccups, which were new) the Launceleyn let his sympathy spill through the link. The good news is that every curse can be broken. Usually there are specific requirements to do so, not that they tell you that, but sometimes another being will break it for you as well.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
The raven fell in beside the goose, and dipped a wing in a mock charge at the slightly larger bird. Invading its space, stealing its wind. Some obscure attempt at cheering the guy up. "Something to work on, now that your actions have consequences for others than just yourself," he acknowledge. "But technically, the information and explanations should come from the Hailstorm, not you. It's not really your job, master Grand Healer."

As for the curses, Korbin was glad for any bit of good news he could get. It still left him concerned though. "I don't know what I did to cause it," he said, troubled. "I just tried to pray... but both times I got this. Not just no answer, but curses."

He was, he had to admit, more than a little offended. Did the gods that attuned him hate him so much now that they didn't even tolerate his presence at the shrine?
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren couldn't help the mental sigh from getting to Korbin. I'll talk to him about it. It got added to the long list of things the healer was going to talk to Neron about. However, the hunter's advice was sound, and the Launceleyn sent a pulse of appreciation towards the other man. Already on it. One of my many areas of self-improvement. Loren's thoughts had a wry edge.

That's strange. Most people just don't get a response. Flying in silence for a moment, he sent a concerned and confused query to Korbin. Do you know if anyone else has prayed at the shrines recently? The healer couldn't think of anyone, and he wanted to know if this was an isolated incident or not.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Loren wasn't the only one with a home-renovation project on his hands. Korbin was in the midst of one too, though he wasn't as vocal about it. His turbulent day-to-day moods was indication enough. He offered a part of the understanding he felt, and veered off a little, returning the air space to the goose so it could fly unhindered.

"No idea, sadly," he had to admit. Korbin rarely paid attention to the shrine or who visited it. He was no priest, after all. "Might be worth looking into? Angry spirits during Deepfrost is the last thing we need." He flew on for a while, then had to ask what was nagging most at him: "Do.. you think it's permanent? The curse?"

It was a quiet question, laced with real fear. So far the silence was bearable, but... a lifetime without music? Korbin wasn't sure he could stand that.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren contemplated what Korbin explained for a moment. Although the healer would ask if others had strange experiences with the shrines of late, he figured he would offer was reassurances he could to the hunter. I will definitely look into it. And actually tell you what I find out. There was more than a hint of amusement in the Launceleyn's mind on that last thought.

No, I don't. As I said, every curse can be broken. We just need to find out how. There was a great deal of certainty on that point. And, if we can't figure it out, what one being put into place, another being can remove. He made sure to provide as much reassurance to the other man as Loren could project.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
The raven let out a croak of amusement he couldn't hear himself. Even the bird's voice was starting to sound a bit hoarse, from lack of use. "If you forget, I'll dub you senile from old age," he teased, sticking to the 'old man' joke he'd thrown before.

Korbin found that the reassurances were very welcome, and much needed this time. He had been fretting about a future void of sound, with all the difficulties it brought of communication, his passion for music aside. Just the simple matter of making a living while unable to speak... it was enormously complex.

"Can't say I'm too keen on going back to the shrine anytime soon," he grumbled. "I don't want to become thrice cursed, that feels a bit too extravagant even for me." But he was grateful for the options nevertheless. Perhaps at some point he would become desperate enough to try anyway... Just as he had been when returning the second time.

"I've been thinking about your offer... for that job?" He halted the beat of his wings and drifted on and air current, letting himself be lifted and carried by the fickle winds, dropped and jostled around - it was fun, being able to play for a bit. "Warden or no... if it still stands, I... thought I might take you up on it."

There was a fair bit of caution as he spoke, not sure Loren was still serious about the whole think. Korbin thought it could have been just an attempt to be nice... He wasn't sure.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren honked in amusement as well, though he was sure to send it through the link in addition to vocalizing it. I would say age before beauty, but that would require you to be handsome. If Korbin really wanted to tease, he'd find that the healer was more than up for it.

Obviously he understood the hunter's reluctance. We'll leave that as a last resort, then. The Launceleyn glanced at the other man. I hope it goes without saying that I will be helping you with this. Although Loren was joking, he was also being quite serious.

As Korbin started gliding, the healer did the same. He was surprised when the hunter brought up one of their previous conversations, but pleasantly so. I offered you a few jobs, if I recall. There was a wry edge to the Launceleyn's thoughts. If you're asking about the advisor position, I'd have to talk to my brother to make it an official council position. But you can certainly advise me, at least. I'd like that a lot. Indeed, he was quite excited about the prospect.

Pausing, he felt a slight hint of annoyance well up. I might also need a new Associate Healer, since the woman I tapped for it might be moving back to the Hollowed Ground. Though he wouldn't begrudge Evie that decision, if she made it, it did set him back more than he cared to admit.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Oh, he wanted to play, did he? The raven sent a pulse of mock concern to the man. "Here I thought I was the cursed one... but clearly you've been blinded and don't even know it," he returned, thoughts quivering with suppressed laughter. Korbin was not one to brag, but he didn't think he was all that bad off, appearance-wise. He was his mother's son after all, and Weaver's brother. It showed.

"You did," he agreed. "I thought... well. Maybe we can pack them into one. I can do whatever you need help with around the infirmary... and offer solicited advice as I go along." And if it turned out he did a good enough job to earn more, then... he would consider it when it happened.

"Ah. Well. Sadly, can't help you there. Don't know more than how to wrap up a cut on myself," he said, not without regret. Associate healer was too grand a title for him. Assistant felt pressuring enough, but at least that one came without expectations beyond running errands. That he was very capable of.
Quoth the Raven,
"Nevermore."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren's amusement just grew as the banter continued. My vision was just fine until I looked at your ugly mug. It felt good to simply tease back and forth, and he didn't hesitate to share that feeling with Korbin.

However, the healer's happiness turned less amused and just plain old joyful as the hunter agreed to take on an assistant healer position, at least. We're going to have to teach you how to wrap a cut first, but I think we can definitely make that work. I personally would appreciate the help around the infirmary, at the very least.

Then the Launceleyn's mind grew amused again. And I have all kinds of ideas. You'll get a kick out of telling me how bad they all are.
open up all your skies
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3