Personal Quest doctor's borders
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Seeing as Phoebe had closed the Medical College, seemingly indefinitely, Loren had been disappointed. However, it had also given him an idea, one that he was sure would cause quite a bit of consternation amongst the Halovians. However, he was sure that he could soothe any ruffled feathers among them. Although they were annoyed at all the changes made by the Outlanders, he personally was building up a decent amount of goodwill.

Time to cash in one some of it.

He'd gathered building supplies, stone mostly, with some wood, that he'd made sure to secure from places other than the storerooms at Halo. The last thing he wanted was to here complaints about wasting supplies right before Deepfrost. He'd gathered them all at a distant wing of the Palace. Seeing as he'd already sent notes out to his friends, asking for their assistance in setting up a new school for healers, all that was left to do was wait patiently and see who showed up.

This is a PQ to set up a new school of healing! There are 3 open spots but more can be opened upon request.

1. Korbin
2. Glas
3. Weaver
light is precious in a world so dark
begin at the beginning
tell a story. make some light
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Don't put your happiness in other people's hands
He was getting roped into many of Loren's projects recently. This one, however, Korbin had to admit he had some personal interest in. As his sister so stubbornly insisted on telling him, he needed to find something that was his own thing. And maybe, just maybe, healing might be one of them.

After all, he had been adamant enough about wanting the ability to get himself cursed. Twice.

If he kept complaining to Loren about things, it was mostly for show by now. Ingrained habit, and because he knew it annoyed the Grand Healer. Korbin still showed up, deaf and hiccuping and all, but still able to swing a mean hammer if necessary.

Unable to communicate out of his shifted form, the young man just placed himself by a wall and leaned back, arms folded across the chest, to wait for further instructions.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 0 - Strg: 9 - Dext: 8 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
i would have bled out if you told me you liked the color red
He wasn’t a friend of Loren’s, not by any stretch. But he was a crafter, and after listening to the squabbling of his parents over why such a thing might be necessary, they’d decided that so long as it was here it should at least be done right. And so, once again, they’d sent Glas out into the cold day — a few extra supplies brought with him to give it the touch of the Westfalls.

And he arrives, green gaze lifting from the path to spot Loren and Korbin standing there — anxiety eating away at him once again as he pulls the bit of furs closer around his neck and focuses on what needs to be done, silent and quiet, saddened somewhat that they’d put him here to help as though it were some mockery of what the young man had wanted to be for the majority of his life.

So he stands, silent, waiting for the instructions.
GLAS
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Age: 33 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Kyra Offline
Change author:
Weaver
Time is the substance from which I am made.
Time is a river which carries me along,
but I am the river;
She doesn’t really have to be roped in, and is more than willing to come help Loren set up the school. Apparently the people of Halo were going to be surrounded by schools. It felt a little weird, but so far, the Academy seemed to be reasonably successful in Halo, even if it might pass for a form of mild torture.

Weaver is unsurprised to see Korbin there, and the grin that cracks her face at the hiccups is enough for him to know exactly what she’s thinking. ”He’s really lucky he can’t hear himself. It does get annoying eventually,” she says, this particular comment directed at Loren. Korbin would just have to deal with being left out of the conversation, though she gives her brother a wink.

Her attention falls onto the boy she doesn't recognize. She gives him a friendly smile with her normal casual ease that is both petrifying and comforting. "Weaver," she offers to him. With that, she waits for instruction.
it is a tiger that devours me, but I am the tiger;
it is a fire that consumes me, but I am the fire.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
As the Hale siblings approached Loren grinned at them in turn. "It's a good thing he can't hear you say that, or else he'd do that broody pout he's so good at." However, he gave Korbin a sympathetic smile. After that first quip, the healer would translate everything for the deaf man. "Don't you two have anything better to do than help us Palace folks out with our latest crazy schemes?" The Launceleyn spoke (and thought) in a teasing and deeply amused tone.

Finally, he turned to Glas. "It's good to see you again." Loren spoke in a soft voice, and gave the craftsman a gentle smile.

Introductions done, the healer faced the whole group. "Thank you all for coming. As I mentioned, I'm hoping to set up a school for healing. The first step is going to be clearing the ground." He gestured at the shovels he'd brought for this very reason. "If you have any questions, or ideas on how to speed up any step of the process, please don't hesitate to speak up."

With that, he turned to face the snowy and icy ground. His eyes narrowed and his brow furrowed with concentration. Raising his arms, he used his water magic to shove as much of that out of the way as he could.

No post order! First task is to clear the ground.
begin at the beginning
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
He didn't need hearing to know they were poking fun at him. Even as he offered Glas a friendly smile of recognition, the younger Hale sibling casually flipped off both of them to show just what he thought of their cackling. Bunch of Ningos, the pair of them.

"We're just keeping tabs on you," he quipped, a bit torn between maintaining his normal sour opinions while Weaver was looking, and falling into the almost friendly banter that was growing between himself and the other man. Please, he wouldn't want anyone to think they were actually getting along.

After having the task of the day explained, he went straight for a shovel. Leave the magic to the magic users... though, as he glanced at the large area of ground that needed to be cleared off, Korbin did offer up an idea.

"If you cover the area in woodchip and set it on fire, wouldn't that melt the snow off? You and Weaver could make sure it doesn't get drenched or went out."

He could shovel too, but... this would save him from a lot of sweating.

-----

Korbin suggests burning the ground free from ice.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
He doesn’t expect Weaver to show up either, and he swallows down the spark of anxiety when the Hale woman turns her attention onto him. “Glas Westfall.” He manages without stumbling but his anxiety eats at his stomach, glancing to meet her eyes before turning his attention away to spot the small wave from Korbin and offer a dip of his head, hands needing to find something to do so he rests it on his other arm, along the bicep while Loren offers his attention as well. A nod given back to the healer as well, shoulders slightly hunched.

He was made mostly to remain indoors, behind the counter and safety of the shop his parents ran. This was only adding to his discomfort. Still, he listens to the quips between the siblings, listens to the instruction offered from Loren, unable to hear Korbin’s response, and moves to go grab a shovel — keeping his gaze away as he outfits it with a bit wider of a piece — aimed more for pushing than shoveling the snow and ice away.

And then he starts to take little lines, starting and angling it off to the side, pushing it over and away. He’d continue to take those lines until hopefully it was clear enough.
GLAS
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Age: 33 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Weaver
but I am the river;
”He’s going to do that broody pout anyway. Besides, he doesn’t have to hear me to know I’m making fun of him.” And right on cue, Korbin flipped them both the bird. She only grinned back at him. ”And yes, I do,” she says matter-of-factly. Could she be just about anywhere else right now? Yep. Would she be? Nope. Loren really has not figured it out yet.

She listens as he gives instructions, watching as he uses his own magic to try and move as much of the snow as he can. She’s really tempted to tease him, but in front of Korbin, she stops herself. Though she was starting to suspect her brother may like Loren more then he let on, she didn’t need him to know how close she’d been growing to Loren. Not yet, anyway. They had enough to fight about already.

Instead, she moves to a patch of the ground that’s away from everyone else, wanting to experiment before suggesting it. Little does she know, her brother is thinking along the same lines. She sets the area around her on fire, holding it long enough to melt the snow and ice in the area. The flames disappear, and she begins checking around for any wayward damage. If it worked, it’d be a quick way to get rid of the snow and ice at least.

Weaver sets the ground on fire in her small area to see if it would work well enough for clearing the rest of the ground.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Grinning at Korbin's antics as well, Loren shot Weaver an amused look. "And here I was thinking you Halovians were the tough stoic loner types." He glanced at the raven. "Or maybe that's just him." Yes, the healer translated all that, not at all minding the easy banter and camaraderie.

They didn't have wood chips to test out Korbin's suggestion, nor would the Launceleyn have felt all that comfortable wasting wood on his pet project. However, it looked like they wouldn't have to. For once, the memory snow only gave him a little bit of a hard time. He was able to clear the area he was working on with no problem, which ended up being about a quarter of the total land they were hoping to clear.

Glas' slow and steady, but tried and true methods with the shovel were similarly quite impressive. Similarly, he managed to clear about a quarter of the total area. Weaver's fire was moderately successful, clearing about an eighth of the total area. Korbin, of course, hadn't done jack shit this round, so he didn't contribute to the efforts.

Still, Loren was pleased. Pausing with his magic, he glanced at Weaver and Glas. "Nice job. Why don't you two start laying out the foundations while this lazy bones," the healer jerked his chin at Korbin, "helps me finish clearing the snow?"

No post order!

About 5/8 of the area has been cleared of snow.

Loren suggested that Weaver and Glas start working on the foundation while Loren and Korbin clear the rest of the snow.

Loren cleared ~1/4 of the snow
Glas cleared ~1/4 of the snow
Weaver cleared ~1/8 of the snow
Korbin made a suggestion that everyone ignored
begin at the beginning
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
Ha ha, very funny. He would remember that for later.

Now, Korbin did try to contribute, but of course no one listened to him. Two of them couldn't, and the third wouldn't. He rolled his eyes as he was pointedly ignored, and rose from where he had been leaning on his shovel to go and actually pitch in for some work. At least Glas wasn't smartassing him, so he went over to keep the young crafter company.

"You know, if you'd brought along some of the soldiers, this area could have been cleared by now," he pointed out to Loren - because he didn't need to keep quiet just because he couldn't hear others. "They're most likely to need the school eventually, so I'm sure they would have helped."

It was his job now, to point out where Loren fucked up. Remember? It was only good and right that Korbin did what he was paid for.

----

Korbin goes off to help Glas shovel snow, since the rest are stupid and won't listen to him.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Change author:
Glas wasn’t any of those things. Not the stoic brawn most people thought of when they thought of Halo. Not the ones stories were told about, fighting off cannibals and surviving the snows after how long with little food or water. He wasn’t a hunter either. Just a crafter, that was it, and that was all. So he listens to the quips, the translations from Loren what Korbin says, focusing on his task with all that he can muster. He’s surprised when Korbin picks him to be near and help shovel, but he doesn’t complain. Just offers another quiet nod, feeling relatively out of the loop.

But he pauses when he’s addressed, glancing over toward Loren when he suggests Weaver and him could work to focus on the foundation, bobbing his head lightly in agreement, handing off the shovel to Korbin should he want it, before moving to the other supplies brought and begins to form the foundation, keeping his gaze away from Weaver and internally wondering what she might be thinking to get stuck with a companion like him for this task.

Glas begins to lay out the foundation!
GLAS
Weaver Hale
the Scythe
Warden of the Citadel

Change author:
Weaver
but I am the river;
”My brother, the tough stoic loner type?” She lets out a bark of laughter at that, trying to imagine it. No, that had been Erebor. Not so much a loner, though of all of them, certainly the closest to fit that description. A slight pang hits her heart at the thought of him, suspecting Korbin would remember a different version of Erebor and wouldn’t make the connection as she does. Erebor loved his siblings fiercely, and his younger brother in a more obvious manner.

The fire sort of works, and might have worked better if she’d been less careful with it. But she didn’t want to just go burning everything up, after all. She’s about to keep lighting fires, but then Loren switches her task and she nods.

Weaver makes her way over to Glas, beginning to work on the foundation with him. He seems to be ignoring her, which is the sort of thing she will clearly, well, ignore. ”Are you from here? You look like you might be familiar, but I admit I am not sure.” Maybe he’d even respond.

Weaver works on the foundation and tries to make small talk with Glas.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
"Yes your brother." However, Loren caught the odd tone in Weaver's voice and decided to drop the conversation. Besides, they soon became too busy with their respective tasks for much more small talk. At least, for those that didn't have Attuned bonds. As Korbin spoke, Lroen glanced over at the hunter. That's...a really good idea, actually. I have no idea why I didn't think of it.

The healer gave Korbin a rueful smile. Maybe it's for the best that I didn't ask for help. Morgan's been dodging me recently, and I have no idea why. Until I do, would rather not inadvertently upset her further. It was clear the Launceleyn was confused and annoyed by the Captain's behavior.

The memory snow, perhaps pissed that it had been so effectively cleared earlier, chose to make itself difficult this time around. Loren, even with his water magic, was only able to clear a small swath of it. Korbin managed to clear a slightly larger patch, but not by much. Still, the job was almost done.

Glas' nerves, or perhaps his lack of comfort with the outdoors, meant he only managed to lay down a small portion of the foundation. Weaver, on the other hand, more than made up for it. With an uncharacteristic show of strength especially given her efforts in other PQs she managed to lay down more than half of the foundation all by herself.

No post order!

Korbin and Loren did not manage to clear that much snow this round. There is still a small amount that still needs to be cleared.
Glas only laid down a bit of foundation. Weaver managed to lay down more than half on her own. There's slightly less than half that still needs to be laid (including in the yet to be cleared area)
begin at the beginning
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
Korbin had to wonder about it too. Did Loren mean for the four of them to construct a whole building all on their own? For a guy of cabinet ranking, he sure didn't make good use of the resources available to him. Was it because this was a more or less personal endeavour, and not an official government institution? Korbin supposed he could respect that. Barely. Less and less with every shovelfull of snow he had to toss aside.  

"I see why you're in need of an assistant," he just quipped, instead of offering that piece of thought. "Maybe this is why the Captain is avoiding you? She got tired of stepping in your scattered brains." He didn't smile, but there was quiet humor rebounding through the mental link.

As Glas switched to working on the foundation, Korbin took over his shovel to see if it would make the job any smoother. His quiet banter with Loren aside, the young raven worked diligently, trying to make up for the time wasted earlier so they could get this stage over with.

------

Korbin tries another shovel and just keeps working.
They'll drop it
KORBIN