getting to know all about you (open)
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
there's light at the edge of the darkness
Overall, the common theme to the feedback that Loren had been getting was that people in Halo weren't quite sure what anyone up in the Palace was doing on a regular basis. So he woke up earlier than usual, well before dawn. Gathering up a large bag full of medicines, he slung it on his back.

Collecting Astra as well, he started walking towards the market in Snowcloak. Other vendors were already setting up, and he stopped to ask a friendly looking older man if there were any empty spaces he could use for the day. The merchant, after giving the healer a suspicious look, had pointed at a spot across the street, where a slightly derelict storefront awaited.

Thanking the other man, the Launceleyn made his way over. Not minding the slightly damaged building, he began setting out his medicines. That done, he hung a sign that simply said: "Medicines, Healing, and Cures."

It was cold, obviously, but the inside was slightly more tolerable. As time passed, he realized the spot was less than ideal: the sun was shining in his eyes, and he was tucked away a bit from the road, hard to find. However, he wouldn't complain. Instead, he just played idly with Astra while he waited to see which customers, if any, showed up.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 10 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 49 - Endr: 51 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
NOAH
I wait and tell myself "life ain't chess,"
In these days, Noah was a frequent visitor of the marketplace. He never set up his own shop, as he had a method of trading. He had been hunting long enough to know what people wanted. Today's venture was trading away animal fat to use as fuel in exchange for some dried herbs. He had taken a liking to a certain booth of a younger pair of siblings that had come earlier in the season from the Hollowed Grounds. He had traded with them several times at this point, and even had them bring some special order herbs in for him.

Walking away from their booth and stuffing away the herbs in his simple sling pack, Noah let his gaze wander up to the other booths. Brows knit together when they fell on the healer, and he stopped just before his booth. He looked around at some of the other merchants, all of them regulars. When they met Noah's eye, they shrugged and shook their heads, returning to their work. Turning to Loren, Noah chuckled, "I'm surprised to see you out here."

But no one comes in and yes, you're alone...
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
As Noah approached, Loren smiled and gave the hunter a little wave. "Noah, right?" The question was polite and friendly. They'd met briefly, but always in a group. The healer was always happy to meet another native citizen of Halo, though.

At the other man's question, the Launceleyn grinned outright. "Is that because you thought I'd be up at the Palace, you're surprised I'm able to tolerate the cold, or because you have no idea why a healer would come hawk his wares at the marketplace?" It was clear that he wasn't bothered by Noah's confusion, however,

Loren shrugged. "I've been told it would be good to get out and have my face seen around town, so people know they can approach me, and get to know who I am." Tilting his head to one side, he gave the hunter a curious look. "On that note, are you here to see me, or my medicines?" The healer gestured at the goods on display.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
NOAH
He nodded, thankful that Loren remembered his name and he did not have to re-introduce himself to the healer. An eyebrow lifted as the palace-dweller continued on, however, regarding Noah's statement. He smirked some, crossing his arms across his chest and leaning towards Loren some. "Well, now I'm surprised that you're so talkative." His own comment sent the reindeer to laughing, his deep and rumbling laugh that made his eyes wrinkle. Hopefully his statement did not offend the man, but Noah wasn't a man to hide a teasing jab in fear of pride backlash. He truly did not mean any harm by the comment, his laugh conveying so.

Sighing out a breath that finished off his laugh, Noah followed Loren's gesture and looked at the medicines he had to offer. He contemplated it for a moment, trying to gauge how Loren might respond to him. "What are you looking for in return for trading away your creations?" It was hard for Noah to imagine the Warden's comrade in want. The palace, in his mind, was a place of plenty and not a place of need.

the Firebrand

Change author:
Grinning at Noah's words, Loren shrugged. "I can do the strong silent type if you prefer." Tone teasing, he let out a huff of laughter.

When the hunter asked what the healer wanted in return, he glanced down at the medicines and medical supplies on display. "Whatever people have to spare, really." Looking up, he met the other man's gaze squarely. "And if they have nothing to spare, they're more than welcome to take what they need."

Hesitating the Launceleyn leaned forward a bit and dropped his voice to a whisper. "Truth be told, I'd prefer to give them out for free. However, I've been informed that would view that an insulting charity, though." He sighed. "And that they're not willing to come up to the Palace for healing." Speaking in a wry voice, he straightened up and spread his hands a bit.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH
Noah's amused smirk did not leave his face. After all, he had no reason to harbor any ill will against Loren. The fact that he was an outlander did not disrupt him in the way it did some other Halovian natives. The mage was simply someone he did not really know yet. Noah nodded with Loren's words, his face showing he was impressed. Loren was learning about how Halovians worked here.

"I.O.U's are sometimes the only currency people can give." He said. "We take care of each other. Sometimes people can't give you anything back in return, and you just let them. I've got some people I hunt for that can't do much for me in return, right now." He shrugged some, "But, I know if I ever do need something they'd be willing and ready to do what I asked." It was all about relationship.

Even as much as Noah was curious to talk to Loren and continue to get to know the man, he was interested in what he had to offer. "If you had to say one thing on this table was the must have thing for Deepfrost, what would it be?"

the Firebrand

Change author:
Nodding along to Noah's words, Loren grinned at the end. "Like I said, I'll take whatever people are able to spare. Even if it's a favor down the line." He let out a huff of laughter. "Especially because I've cashed in more than my fair share of those recently." Still, he gave the hunter a grateful look for the advice.

The healer's response to the question was immediate. Picking up a vial of crushed up bark floating in an alcohol, he handed it to the other man. "Tincture of willow bark. Reduces pain, but more importantly, is used to treat fevers and colds which are prevalent during Deepfrost." With that, the Launceleyn raised his eyebrows, as if to ask Noah how Loren had done.
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH
Noah's question had not been loaded in any way. He was truly interested in what Loren said, his opinion and his expertise. Noah's mother had been a healer when she was alive, and a good one at that. However, she had only had enough time with her boys to teach them basic stuff: what to do about fevers, how to sling an arm, general understanding of how to treat abrasions, and so on. Surely, Noah did not have half as much knowledge about healing as Loren.

Holding out his hand, he took the vial from the other man. He rolled it over in his palm as Loren explained its properties. He nodded, impressed and pleased. He took the vial, without word, and placed it in the pocket of his outermost layer. His other hand moved back and pulled a small dagger from a sheath on his belt. He set it down on the table, where Loren would be able to see the intricate carvings on the blade, and the beautiful and sturdy hilt made from luxere antler. "This knife is made by one of the oldest bladesmiths in Halo."

Icy eyes rolled over everything else that covered the table, as he mulled over his question before asking: "So, you're wanting to integrate better in civilization here. You want the people to trust you, yeah?" The Olson man lifted a brow, "What else aside from herbs and healing do you have to offer?"

the Firebrand

Change author:
As Noah set the knife down, Loren picked it up and gave it a close examination, turning it over in his hands. Glancing up at the hunter's words, the healer's eyes narrowed. It was in a thoughtful way though. Finally, putting the blade back on the table, he pushed it back across towards the other man. "It's incredible. And also obviously far too fine a weapon to take in exchange for a single vial of fever medicine."

The Launceleyn folded his arms across his chest. "So either tell me what else you need or just want, or trade something less for it." Smiling faintly, his tone was kind, but firm.

Tilting his head slightly to the side at Noah's question, Loren shrugged. "The rest of my magic, mostly. Some knowledge outside of healing, and relationships outside of Halo." He bit his lip. "Was there something specific you'd like to know?"
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH
"Keep it." Noah offered, lifting his hands up, palms showing, in a refusal to take back the knife. It was small, and Noah had plenty of weapons. "You want to be a part of Halo, you need one of his knives." His face lightened and he nodded, encouragingly, to the other attuned. Loren pressed on, however, and Noah gave in. "I'd like some more herbs or tonics for healing. Just simple things to aid if I should get injured or sick during Deepfrost."

Even if Loren had said that he had nothing else to offer aside from healing and herbs, in Noah's mind, it would have been enough. As cold and distrusting as the people of Halo were, there would come a time where their need for a healer would outweigh their need to put up a block between them and an outlander. All of what Loren said he had to offer, though, seemed like enough for a man in government, even if it was a position of Grand Healer. When he spoke of relationships outside of Halo, however, the man lifted a brow. "Oh? Do you know Phoebe Steadman? She's on the Hallowed Ground Council and runs the medical college there."

the Firebrand

Change author:
Already reaching out to take the knife when Noah insisted, Loren paused when the hunter finally relented and asked for more supplies. The healer smiled faintly. Fingers flying over the table, he put a few odds and ends—bandages, needle and thread, and some medications, including the fever cure—into a kit.

Sealing it, he slid it over to the other man, taking the knife as the Launcelen did. "The medicines in there will help you with indigestion and trouble sleeping. There's also a numbing cream and something to help keep wounds clean. And thanks for the knife. It's wonderful craftsmanship." His tone was truly grateful.

Giving Noah a curious look as he brought up Phoebe, Loren nodded. "Yes, I know her. I used to be a member of the college, actually, though she shut it down earlier this season. Why do you ask?" Then his expression grew excited. "I'd like to open a school of healing here, one that allows both magical and nonmagical healers to join."
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH
The longer Noah stood here, talking with Loren and gathering more healing supplies as well as information, he felt more at ease in the presence of the Outlander. While he would not say he trusted the man, yet, he was ready to give him opportunity here in Halo, especially among the people he knew and the hunters he worked with. So far, the man had yet to prickle suspicions from the Olson.

He nodded firmly, once, to accept Loren's gratitude for the knife and the trade. His own gratitude was shown with a smile as Noah gathered the kit the Grand Healer created for him and placed it in his pack with the rest of his haul from the day in the trade world. "I met Phoebe in Torchline and she took me to see her medical college. It was incredible," At least, Noah thought. The reality was that, at the time he encountered the college, it was near abandoned and the students were few and far between. The world was opening up, and with it opportunity. "I think something like that would be a benefit here in Halo. We've relied a lot on magic users for major healing and recovery, but if non-Abandoned could learn medical techniques, I think they would want to."

Loren's mention of Phoebe shutting down her college pricked a little curiosity, but he stayed focused on Loren's possible college here. "I would even like to learn more about it. Medicine, healing, that is. Just more than the surface level knowledge I have now."

the Firebrand

Change author:
As Noah explained how he knew Phoebe, Loren nodded in understanding. As he listened to the hunter's words, the healer tucked his knife away in his belt. "I'm glad to hear you say that. Also, I understand that Halovians are busy, are often away from the Citadel, and have little time for lessons. I will do everything in my power to accommodate their schedules and preferences." He found himself growing more and more excited for the prospect.

As the other man continued to express his interest, the Launceleyn grinned. "I'm hoping to open it before Deepfrost sets it. But you're more than welcome to join our ranks once I have everything set up." Indeed, he was pleased to have found a new recruit.

It wasn't long before his expression and tone both grew wry. "I can't promise to be the most skilled healer, or the best teacher. But I promise to do the best I can."
loren

Coding base by Sky!
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:
NOAH
"That's good. Even though I would like to learn more, it is hunting that takes up the majority of my time. I don't ever see that changing, really." In truth, it was what he leaned on. With Ezekiel off traveling now that the world had opened up to them, the older Olson had leaned into his craft more than ever. He spent all his days scouting, hunting, making notes, trading, and taking care of what he had already gathered. "My mother was a healer, but was abandoned, so she relied on her magic a lot. But she did teach me some basic stuff -- stuff that really is only good enough for keeping me alive long enough to make it back to the Citadel." He laughed, not trying to make light of it, but letting the reality sit in. He knew more than just how to stay alive, but his knowledge truly was limited. Setting bones enough so that when a magical healer finally got to them so that they weren't completely warped was about the depth he had.

"Well, I could say the same thing for myself about hunting." He shrugged some. "It would be arrogant to think otherwise. I think life is about always being a student. I don't believe that, no matter how long I work at this, I'll never know all there is to know in the world about being a master hunter. There are lots of times I come home empty-handed when I have worked myself to exhaustion trying to bring something home." What else was there to do but try their best?