When the Ocean Calls
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Age: 40 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
Elias
The thing about being a merchant was that you met all sorts of people. The thing with being a fence was... you saw the same faces, over and over again with new wares to trade. Zephyr was one such face, and he always looked forward to the day that the man came on land and set out to trade with him. He kept a stock of goods just for such a time, as well.

Only the best, as it were. "Evening," he called, rising from the seat he had taken on a crate. "How can I help you today? Selling or buying?" He leaned forward on the stall, where various fabrics and other legal items were displayed. Nothing too terribly pricy, he'd never put the expensive stuff where it could be stolen, and certainly nothing illegal.

Zephyr
My feet feel so weary,
The miles feel so weary,
Without you by my side,
So I'll pick this purple flower,
For the day we reunite.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
zephyr
The guilty undertaker sighs
The lonesome organ grinder cries
You're a familiar sight in the market indeed, with your black armband and your bright brown eyes and your bag slung casually over your back. Ki is with you today, sitting on your shoulder like a vibrant, perfectly motionless sentry carved from precious stones. Pretentious damn lizard, but you're fond of her so you let it go.

There isn't much of an agenda today. With the Ark in port until who knows when and the town still reeling from Apopo's eruption things in your business have been somewhat quiet. There's the new governor to contend with, too, and businesses popping up like beach burrs every time you turn around. Times, they are a'changin, and sometimes a man needs to leave it all behind him and enjoy a simple market stroll.

That's what you're doing when a calls out in greeting, making you pause in your languid walk. "Evenin', Elias," you rumble in response, adjusting your trajectory to amble toward his stall. Leaning your shoulder against the wall you cast a casual look around the wares, perfectly aware that it's all a front for the actual valuables the shopkeeper peddles in. "Little bit'a both, dependin' on if anythin' catches my eye." Casually you drape your hand beneath a silk scarf, admiring the motif of rays and sharks.
The silver saxophones say I should refuse you
But it's not that way, I wasn't born to lose you
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Age: 40 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Elias
Elias's lips turned up at the corners, and he waved the boy that accompanied the stall, and tended to it. "Let's get those gemstones on display," he mused, watching the young man scamper to retrieve the stones.

Most of them had come from the Outlander that Elias had taken into his home. Though he had kept one of the stones; a necklace, for himself. Might as well, it'd been payment for staying at his place. "Heard rumors that the Ark's docked 'til further notice?" He raised an eyebrow, glancing over his shoulder to study the various ships that littered the docks.

"Gotta be a bit borin'," he stated, grinning as a small handful of stones were brought to him. He'd set them close to where he stood, lest someone try to snatch them.
My feet feel so weary,
The miles feel so weary,
Without you by my side,
For the day we reunite.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
zephyr
You watch the lad with a bittersweet fondness in your eyes, and sorrow close behind. "Boy's growin' up fast," you remark softly, as much to yourself as Elias. You lost the chance to see your own son grow up, to teach him about the shoreline and the work you do, but you can't find it in yourself to resent Elias for his fortune, the happiness of his child.

Tearing your keen eyes away from the lad and swallowing the lump in your throat, you instead focus in on the gems the merchant casually displays. They're quite appealing, if a bit impractical. Usually you're more of a set-up man than a purchaser, but you can't deny the allure of shiny when you see it.

Your tone is casual as you look over the stones; to anyone listening this would be a simple conversation between friends. "Aye, with Apopo goin' off she's here for the long haul," you grumble with mock-unhappiness, rubbing your silver stubble. "Means Jack'll be a thorn in my side longer'n usual. Though maybe I could bring 'im somethin' nice to soothe his temper..." Again, you glance at the jewels.
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias
Elias nodded, glancing towards the boy. "Mmm, he is. Learning the trade," The boy isn't biologically his, but may as well have been. Elias nodded, thoughtfully, "Ah, yeah. Figured that much." When the other mentions Jack, Elias simply chuckles, and ran his fingers along the stones in question.

"Well, listen," He leaned close, "I've got myself a pretty little lass, came through a portal a-while back, nothing but gemstones to her name." Not that gemstones were nothing, but still. "I want her to figure out where she'll fit, she stole most of these," His voice is low enough, so that no passerby would hear, and as someone else comes to the stall, he leans back and chuckles, "Boys, you know? Soon enough he'll be begging to visit her all the way in Halo," his tone is more conversational now, and the boy quickly draws the newcomer away from the two men, with a huffed, 'But she's pretty, pa.'

"Since you'll be around, I could introduce the two of you?" He likes the girl, she's a good tenant, albeit a bit sullen at times. Elias had promised to introduce her where he thought she may find work, and while he was fine with having her work his stall, she still needed to know the players in the game.
My feet feel so weary,
The miles feel so weary,
Without you by my side,
For the day we reunite.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
Still looking over the gems, the only sign you hear Elias is a low rumble in your throat. His offer is... Interesting, but you're rather discerning about who joins your team. Pretty can be valuable, moreso if it's backed up. "She clever, or just lucky?"

Someone else enters the stall, and you raise your eyebrow to Elias. "I want workers who want to work. It's not all fun an' games, out on the docks." The docks, of course, being code for your fencing operation.

As much as you don't want to meet new people at the best of times, you nod your head. Ki peers at Elias as well, turning her head to fix him with a beady look that says: don't be wastin' my time. "You know me. Always eager to charm." Once upon a time - a time Elias may well remember - this statement would have been true.
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias
"Dunno. Bit clever, perhaps more luck to her than I see, though," he offers a smirk, humming. "I know, I know. Dock-workers who just wanna mess around aren't worth much."

"I'll see if I can get her down here sometime." He concedes, flashing Ki a smile. "Well, sun's going. Time to start packing."

He'd remain on-site after packing everything up, though. Some of his best trades came after the marketplace cleared out, aboard his small ship, where most of his stall was housed during the night.
My feet feel so weary,
The miles feel so weary,
Without you by my side,
For the day we reunite.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr
"Well, send 'er my way. Always glad t'have a good member on the team." You nod to Elias, causing Ki to bob and flash purple. He he vouches for her she must be worth something, and as much as you would like to keep your circle small, gods know your employee list has been somewhat slim of late.

It is getting late, and you suppose you ought to let Elias get to work cleaning up his day job. Not one you could see yourself doing- you're happy enough to move things around and play the fence, but the idea of manning a stall and selling nonsense through the day bores you to tears.

With a bright salute to your friend you move to turn away. "Maybe I'll come back later. Grab a drink at yours, an' we can discuss those new goods s'more." You mean the gems of course, and whatever else he has for sale. In the secret stash, as it were.
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias
Elias grinned, "Absolutely, stop on by. You know the way." He kept some nice alcohol in the pantry for guests of Zephyr's nature, too.

Without further delaying the process of packing up, he moved to help load a piece of furniture onto the ship, and then another. Disappearing onto the ship, two other crew-members worked at packing the smaller items.

He really needed to get himself a location in town, sometime soon. It'd be much easier to lock up and just live above the shop, instead of traveling between locations.

-FIN-
My feet feel so weary,
The miles feel so weary,
Without you by my side,
For the day we reunite.