come run the hidden pine trails of the forest
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
We're so happy
After the almost disastrous training session with Deimos, Oliver realized just how much knowledge he needed to learn. While Deimos had suggested to learn from watching cats, Oliver had chosen to do something else today. Yeah, he could still watch cats another day, but today he had something a bit different in mind.

Slowly walking through the forest, the small cat made his way, weaving through the roots and bushes, his paws falling quietly as he traveled. If he could hunt down some animals, then surely that was a sign that he was able to somewhat protect himself. It was when he spotted a rabbit in the distance this his interest was piqued. Lowering himself to the ground, the cat stared forward at the hare as he slowly took small steps forward, his tail flickering and watching with eager eyes, focusing now fully on the rabbit and attempting to stalk it. One mustn't attack too soon, as it would only cause the creature to flea. So now, he must wait as he slowly moves closer, watching and waiting.

Chulane
even when we're smiling out of fear
OLIVER
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 14 - Int:
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Whimzi Offline
Change author:
MP: 35
After learning as much as I can from the generous man Jigano, I decide to continue my exploration of this region. Perhaps it is irresponsible of me - I know from my time in Halo that the seasons are changing, that many residents of regions outside of Halo are planning on migrating there for the coming season, and that a great many preparations are being made.

I will help out with those preparations - I already had, in fact - but I was also entitled to some personal time. All work and no play does not compute.

I am not sure what exactly compels me to shift when I reach the Outskirts of the Hollowed Ground - perhaps it is purelyt he wilderness feeling, a deep and resonating pull.

Maybe, it's just that I feel safer in my leopard skin as I traverse a land meant for wildlife, for instincts to thrive - and also, I was still quite new to this land, and the gift it had bestowed upon me. I just wanted to.

Giant paws traverse the land as my over-long tail is held out far behind my muscled body. My brain goes into overdrive as it takes in all of the new sights and scents that I simply would never had known about before. It is only now that I realise how muted being a human is - also, humans stink. They really do.

I am still learning this body, learning how it moves, and mostly, learning how to simply let it move the way its instincts are telling it to, let it react and let it simply exist how it was meant to. It is liberating - and also a new challenge for me to try, giving control as it were (I struggle greatly with this).

A tree seems easy for my lean, athletic body to climb, and so without hesitation, that is what I do.

A smell - not human - tingles my nostrils. I taste the air, and lean out over the edge of a branch, and behold the world below me.

A rabbit - but not just that - another feline, another predator.

I am too excited - the bubble of silence that was draped over the scene bursts, as I emit a soft yowl, and a mental "Hello?"  to the world.
Chulane
fridooh & whimzi @ deviantart
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
We're so happy
Slowly stalking the rabbit, the cat's paws delicately touched the earn, his ears flickering ever so slightly as he watched the rabbit. He was just about ready to pounce before a yowl echoed through his ears and a voice rang out in his head. The hare immediately darted off, disappearing into the bush.

Sniffing at the air, the cat's head whipped around until finally, he looked up and saw.... himself? Wait, what?

What the fuck? Confusion coursed through their bond, Oliver not even able to hide how he felt in this moment. It looked a lot like him- so much so. Oliver had seen his reflection far too many times and he knew what he looked like. The cat had a unique smell so it wasn't any Ascended individuals who had recently bit him-

What in the actual fuck?

Taking a few steps back, Oliver watched intensely, very overwhelmed. Come down- please. I want to talk. So many questions- so many queries. So little time to ask them.
OLIVER
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
Unaware of the uncommonness my attuned form takes, I am surprised by the loud, sudden response to my earlier enquiry - though as I watch the rabbit, the prey scurry off into the wilderness, safe and uneaten, no longer hunted, I do realise I have probably ruined someone's meal plans. And, it would seem, that someone was another attuned, another in possession of the gift that allowed the shift, the change, the transformation.

The sharp demands and roiling storm of confusion that rolled towards me piqued my interest, and in response, I did my best to send back soothing, calming emotions and tones, almost like a telepathic purr, though with any luck, far more effective. The creature who had the same species shift as myself below could demand and fret all he liked - he would not shake me.

I oblige his request however, my motions as smooth as my feline body would allow - the height I had climbed was only a few metres, easily scalable by feline standards, and safe to leap down from in a single graceful arc for one encased within a leopard's body. I jump, and I land, my overlong tail sweeping the ground behind me as I direct my sharp, icy gaze to the stranger who wanted to see me from a closer view. I was excited before, but the sharp overtones of the stranger had me react in a way that required a calm head and quiet countenance, and so that is what I wore now.

"Talk then," I prompt, as I neatly fold my haunches down into a sitting position, and wrap my tail around my paws, a quiet, polite curiosity in my gaze.
Chulane
Blacksmith

Change author:
We're so happy
The figure came leaping down very gracefully and all Oliver could do was stare forward with wide eyes. Right in front of him.... was almost an exact copy of himself. Almost. There were some differences, most notably the eyes, but otherwise? Fuck. This was confusing and overwhelming.

His heart pounded in his ears as he stood there, staring at the cat that was oh so similar to him. What was going on? I'm- We look the same... are you an attuned? Or- or are you copying me? It came out almost scared and confused- like Oliver couldn't believe what he was seeing in front of him. It was far from a good first interaction and looking back on it, Oliver would probably be very embarrassed. But at this very moment in time? He wasn't sure what to think or how to feel. It was almost like an out of body experience.

Who are you?
OLIVER
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
The similarities were indeed there, in the size and shape of us, but the pattern of our pelts were different, and of course, the eyes. It was curious that my blue eyes would carry over to my attuned form, that they would be the one trait to remain me. I had looked at myself in a mirror - of course I had, I had the ability to turn into a leopard for crying out loud - and I had made note of my patterns and how they wound their way down my spine and across my chest.

We were similar, but we were not the same. There was a thrum of nervousness, of confusion and anxiety pulsing across the attuned bond, and it did not originate from me, though my excitement at the beginning of this encounter probably didn't help it. I retreat further within myself, pulling myself away from the bond slightly, not wanting to be pulled under by the tide of emotions that were clearly troubling my comrade.

I do not block myself off completely, he would be able to feel my attempt at calm, at rational and clear-headedness - I refused to rise to the level of uncertainty within him, and hope the words I speak are heard with their intended kindness.

"It would seem we share a similar Attuned-shift shape," I confirm, hoping my emotions effectively convey the calm willingness to share, that he would let them settle his own nerves about this encounter as well. "My name is Chulane - I am an Outlander, and portalled in nearly a month ago," I offer the information easily, openly, honestly - I had nothing to hide.

"Who are you?"
Chulane
Blacksmith

Change author:
We're so happy
Perhaps he was overreacting and would look back on this moment with complete embarrassment, but for the time being he was far too overwhelmed to really consider how he was behaving. Still, he tried his best to be as respectful as possible just naturally, hoping that the other leopard wasn't offended by his behavior.

Slowly taking a few steps forward, Oliver listened to what the leopard had to say. Now that he got a closer look, he could tell that there were slight pattern differences, but the two were still scarily similar. Chulane... thank you for speaking with me... His voice trailed off, obviously lost in his own mind.

Pausing, Oliver took a seat a couple of feet away from Chulane, now fully facing him once more. I am Oliver... do you... who were you before? Do you know what we are or why we share the same shift? It had never occurred to Oliver that someone may eventually share a shift with him, so safe to say he was extraordinarily confused.
OLIVER
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
It would seem more difficult than I anticipated to control the inflow of anxiety, of tension and disquiet through the attuned bond. Retreating into myself only does so much - it is as if the less space my emotions take up on the bond, the more space the other has to fill in with his cacophony of confusion, of unsureness and general overwhelmed state.

The other approached, and without my conscious, human mind knowing it, my leopard shift's hairs raised, instincts appealing for space, for courtesy to be observed, for this fellow to get a grip. But I remained silent across the bond, and unmoving physically, and fought with the instincts of this form to settle the hairs that had raised along the hackles of my nape, merely offering a small nod in acknowledgement of his gratitude.

'Oliver,' my voice purrs through the bond, my calmness delivering the words with a steady and strong purpose. 'It's a pleasure to meet you,' I follow-up with a similar soothing emotion, hoping to help settle the unsettled being before me. My head tilts as he poses he question however.

'Before here I was but a human, with no remarkable magic or abilities, at least not in the sense that Caido has it.' I pause, unsure how to proceed with attempting to offer him an answer. 'I have not yet sought out a shrine to uncover the reason why the gods of this world saw fit to equip me with this gift.' I finish simply, my tone still steady despite the general lack of knowledge I hold on the subject.

One day maybe I would have answers for him.
Chulane
Blacksmith

Change author:
We're so happy
Overtime, the beast within Oliver begins to relax. While Chulane might've been holding back from attacking, Oliver on the otherhand was dealing with the other half- fleeing. It was so strange to see a creature just like him and some of his instincts had told him to be wary and not to trust such a creature. Taking in a deep breath, he tried to respond back with his own soothing emotions.

Nodding, Oliver hoped that his large amounts of energy weren't too visible. And you as well, And it wasn't a lie. To meet a creature just like him could be extremely beneficial. The two could learn the exact ways how to channel the shift and then help each other out. Of course, it also meant that they both knew their same weaknesses.... but Chulane wouldn't become that enemy, right?

The man, Chulane, is willing to talk about his past life and some of Oliver's questions are answered, but far from all. You were most likely made an attuned when you came through... but your shift came from your soul. It represents who you are... and I guess either we share something or something about our souls led to similar creatures manifesting. Which left Oliver with the one question that wasn't answered. Do you know what we are? I know I'm a cat.... I know leopards have spots... but cheetah's do too. Tilting his head, Oliver eagerly waited to see if the man maybe knew.
OLIVER
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
Finally, the other seemed to chill, to control and contain the anxiety, the buzzing thrum of emotions, and I was grateful for it. I was infinitely more interested when he began to speak of my attunedness, of how it represented who I was, and something about our souls.

I was a scientist. The concept of souls was… questionable, to me. While I believed that something within us gave us sentience, the ability to process thought, I would never know if that was a soul or something else. What else? That was the question.

'Oh,' I say affirmatively, 'Yeah, my profession on my homeworld leant me a vast knowledge of animal species - this shift is called a Clouded Leopard, on my world, at least.' I could go on, but I hardly wanted to overwhelm him with information of how my world saw animals as a commodity, of how we hunted things to near extinction, all for exploitation, money - such a hollow goal.

'There is a saying from my homeworld, "Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back." It means that one who is filled with a desire to learn may push the bounds of safety in seeking out their answers - but when they have their answers, their satisfaction is immeasurable.' It certainly felt right for me, a scientist who travelled to the most dangerous, most remote place on Earth in the name of knowledge and learning - and in the brief time I have known Oliver, I can see how it fits him too.

'The Clouded Leopard is not just any old cat, either - they are tough, and extremely rare, and each one cloaked with a unique pattern, differentiating them from the next.' My words are offered with kindness, and a quiet hum of happiness, for I have learned something today too - and I do love to learn things. 'Is this the first form you shifted to?'
Chulane
Blacksmith

Change author:
We're so happy
A... clouded leopard. What a unique name! Oliver had assumed he was some sort of leopard, but wasn't entirely sure. Obviously, he was much smaller than Sunjata (Was Sunjata even a leopard?), but he also still had spots! The name sounded a bit silly, but Oliver was happy to finally have something to call his shift. I'm sure that it was the same thing where I came from. We had leopards, but I never saw one in person. Seeing as leopards are kinda only in the wild and are only seen by explorers and zoo scientists.

His words were wise and clearly, he knew quite a lot. You must be very smart to know so much about clouded leopards. What was your old profession? It really is fortunate for Chulane that the shift chosen for him was one he actually knew a lot about. Oliver, on the other hand...

This isn't my first shift. It's my... third? I think. My first one is this small fox or dog. I have these massive ears... and honestly? I don't even know what exactly all my shifts are. This is the first time I've been able to give myself a proper name to use. Would Chulane know what his fox shift was? Hopefully, because so far not a single person knew what he was.
OLIVER
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
The other finally seems to settle in this experience, to accept that yes, another existed with a similar shift. I was glad to be able to provide him with such information that had clearly been eating away at him for some time - it gave me a simple pleasure too, which I gently let trickle out across the bond. Had I been in human skin, I might have offered a soft, slanted half-grin at this Oliver, but I would settle for this.

'I was a doctor, for animals, called a veterinarian. I spent my life learning about as many animals as I could in the world, so that I could help them.' I supplied as simple explanation, used to telling people about my past now, used to reflecting on that which I had left behind without it stinging so much.

He explains that this isn't his first shift, but his third?! And I am intrigued, curious and hopeful that maybe one day I can unlock as many of those gifts within myself - or maybe more? Kia had two shifts, so I had known that it was possible, but now to have met with someone who confirmed that even more was possible.. I was excited again.

'I'd be glad to see your other shifts one day, and offer what I can in knowledge to identify them, if you want,' I respond kindly, doing what I could to express a simple smile over the bond. But, the afternoon was turning into evening, and I had best be getting moving if I wanted to return to Halo proper before the weather stranded me.

'I hope to see you again come Flowerbirth, Oliver. I must keep going, else the snows of Halo will freeze me out.' I stood up once more, nodding to the other as I turned and made my departure, genuinely hoping that we would all survive this oncoming season, that I would get to see him again, though perhaps with a bit less tension next time.

--

Fin!
Chulane