beach break
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
Phoebe was not accustomed to breaks. She was a hard working, nose to the grindstone, never laze the day away sort of person. But it was hard not to be tempted to spend some time in the sun, enjoying what she considered unseasonable warmth. Moreover she really needed to work on a tan - not for vanity's sake but survival. Her pale skin was not made for Torchline's sun so a day on the beach was both needed and deserved she thought.

So she donned a loose dress and headed out, a small bag with her. Pim came of course - he wasn't going to let her wander around alone after all! She found a nice little spot to set up, laying out a towel on the warm sand, and removing her dress in favor of swim clothes - and despite being incredibly revealing the local ladies had assured her they were very commonly worn amongst local women. And it was pink. She couldn't say no to pink. Settling down, after a thin layer of protectant balm was applied, Phoebe lay down on her towel and settled in for a read.
I can see your sad story eyes,
So how do you have no words to say
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Age: 40 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
Elias
Elias carried a fishing pole over one shoulder, and a basket with various items in his other hand. His feet bare, toes curling into the sand, he wandered along at a leisurely pace, studying the ocean. His gaze wandered the beach briefly, skirting right over the pink-clad, extremely revealed woman, before doubling back.

Dark eyes glittered playfully, as he called, "Phoebe, wasn't aware that you took breaks." Tone, clearly teasing, he moved towards her. He was at ease, because the new outlander, who he had promptly taken under his wing, was tending to the stall with the boy.

The boy was teaching her the ropes, more or less. Once he reached the young woman, he'd settle the basket down, and then the pole. "What're you reading?" He inquired, offering a friendly glance to Pim.
I'm so tired of the shore, let me in, baby,
You're an ocean beautiful and blue, I wanna swim in you.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe
Frankly, Phoebe had only been brave enough to don this little swimsuit because she had assumed that this far out she wasn't likely to run into anyone. But clearly she was wrong as a voice called out to her. She looked up, startled, cheeks flushing deeply to see noneother than Elias approaching. Thankfully the sun already had her flushed, and he was a Torchliner, she reminded herself. Surely he was used to seeing women far less dressed than this.

"I'm not not working. A tan is about survival not vanity here." she said with a light laugh. She glanced at the book before marking its page then setting it down on the blanket beneath her. "Its about the medicinal flora here in Torchline, and its uses and preparations." she said, knowing it was likely far more boring than he expected.
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Age: 40 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Elias
"Aye, you've got that right. A tan is a thing of survival," he had to give her that. He planted his fishing pole in the sand, handle-first, and dropped to sit beside of her, toes digging into the sand, his basket next to him.

"Oh? Can you tell me what you'd use to treat seasickness?" He was curious of her answer, because he could use some of that--sometimes they took passengers aboard his ship, and those people sometimes struggled with being at sea.

"I wasn't expecting you in a suit like that," he hummed, shoving a hand through his hair, flashing her a smile."It suits you." He admitted the words easily.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
She smiled just a little and nodded. "I don't think I've ever had a tan before either so...I've already resigned myself to this being a slow and painful transition." she said with a light laugh. Her skin was porcelain pale, a far cry from the deep skin tones that filled Torchline. But hopefully she too would blend in with the rest.

"Seasickness? Well, you can't really prevent that, just treat the symptoms." she said with a bit of a shrug. "Licorice root and ginger can help curb nausea, but you'd be best keeping a constant pressure on your inner wrist and focusing on the horizon." she explained.

Again the blush rising to her cheeks was hidden by the heat of the day. "Oh well...it isn't...I usually dress much more modest than this but I was told this is something most women around here wear so..." she trailed off, shrugging slightly.
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias
Elias shook his head slowly, "Hopefully not too painful," he shifted in the sand, to lay back on the ground. He had a towel in his basket, but no reason to spread it just yet. "But I think you're beautiful, tan or not, perhaps you shouldn't try so hard to fit in. There's nothing wrong with being different." He commented, honestly. So many people were tan in Torchline, darker skintones easily prevailed over lighter. But Elias believed the lighter-skinned people to be beautiful due to their difference, the fact they stood out.

When she explained about seasickness, he hummed, satisfied with the answer she'd given him. "Hm. Thank you. I knew about licorice, but not the pressure point."

She stammered her words, and he chuckled quietly, rolling onto his side to study her. "It's cute. And it is what people wear around here." Even when she was trying to fit in, Elias found her unique. He pushed himself into a sitting position, studying the ocean absently.

After a moment of silence, "I've taken in an Outlander, a girl named Selene. She's a thief," he says that last bit dismissively, "Seems to be a good one, at that. She's going to be helping the boy, at the stall, so I've more time to help with the brothel, if you need it."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Her cheeks flared red, dark enough now to be noticable, at his compliment. It should have made her heart flutter. It should have made her happy or excited. But instead ungly red flags raised in her mind, and her brown eyes cast back down to the book in her hands. "You're really too kind. I'm nothing compared to the women around here though." she said softly. And though it was indeed a self deprecating comment, it wasn't said out of pity but surety. Torchline women all seemed to be curvaceous and she was thin and delicately built.

That was fine though. A relationship was the last thing she needed on her plate. It would just end in misery anyways.

But his final comment pulled her from her reverie though, and she looked up at him wide eyed. "You...trusted youd wares...to a thief?" she said incredulously. "I don't mean to insult you or over step here but...that...doesn't seem very smart."
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias
Elias's lips twitched, and he smiled softly. "No, but you're unique. Everyone is, in their own way, yours is just... noticeable." But there was more to her than her appearance, he was certain. "A lot of the native women are... hmm, they know they're beautiful, and it's twisted them into acting ugly. But with you... there's the beauty of your appearance and, I think, a beauty in how you act." His gaze roamed over her, she didn't act against others as far as he could tell, and as he thought about that, he moved to dig through his basket until he found the item that he wanted.

By the time he had, she was questioning about the thief, and Elias offered a grin, "Well... thieves have a code." He held the pink stone up for her to see, "Besides, she paid her rent with this," he felt pretty certain of the thief he'd taken in, though Phoebe may have a point, it was Torchline.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
"No, but you're unique."

There it was, the real truth beneath the layers of kindness. No, she wasn't as pretty as other Torchline women. It was comforting actually, creating distance where she knew she was far too weak to create it herself. "If everyone is unique, then can you really call it being unique?" she asked. But his follow up left her confused, and she stared for a moment. "What do you mean, beauty in how I act?" she asked.

The Madame blinked at the rock he held up, clearly perplexed. She was not one well acquainted with the finer things in life after all. "She paid you with a rock?" she asked, a bit dumbly. "I mean...it's a pretty rock..." ...but still a rock.
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias
"Most women are unique in ways I don't care to glance twice at." He stated, tipping his head. "Hmm, well, I don't know many people who would befriend a god, and then seek to help and protect people." After all, her brothel was providing a safe haven, a home, for prostitutes, and more. Not many people would do that.

When she is not at all impressed with the stone he shows, he furrows his brow, and shifts closer to her. "It's a fine piece of jewelry, Phoebe. Pure rose quartz." Realizing that perhaps she simply knew nothing of stones and such, he added, "If I were to trade with it, it'd get me, hmmm, most of what you got for the brothel thus far. It's a valuable rock."

Next, he's flaunting the little tree made of metal, across the front of the quartz. Reaching for her hand, clearly, this is a topic he's passionate about. If she allows him to take her hand, he'll press her fingertips to the metal, tracing the tree, pointing out the flaws in the rock and explaining quietly how that makes it worth little, but at the same time, more.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Her brows furrowed a bit in confusion. "What do you mean?" she asked, not sure she liked whatever direction this was going in. But at his comment about her, and what she was doing, she merely shrugged. "I'm a healer and caretaker by trade and proclivity. It doesn't seem that surprising to me." she said softly.

She blinked as he scooted closer, intent to explain the worth of the pretty pink rock - which was apparently quite valuable despite not being a pearl or diamond or something. In fact, she wasn't sure she fully bought it, but the twisty metal tree seemed valuable enough. "So...because it's shiny and pink...its an extra special rock?" she said, still not quite grasping it. "Do you collect rocks?" she asked.
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias
Elias studied her quietly, dark eyes roaming her features. She was close enough that his arm brushed across hers, close enough to really touch if he wanted too. For a moment, he's lost in thought, staring at her but not actually seeing her. And then, "But there's more to you than that. You aren't just your job."

When she showed some interest, but not fully grasping the idea that some rocks were valuable, he hummed quietly, under his breath. "It... depends on the type of rock. But basically, yes." He didn't want to bore her with the details of his rock obsession, so when she asked if he collected rocks, he shrugged.

"I guess you can say I collect rocks. I've got a few right now, but this one," he held the necklace by its chain so it'd dangle in front of her, "I'd like you to have this one," and without giving her time to respond, Elias leaned forward, an attempt to kiss the little blonde outlander, to put intention behind the gift.

And to think, he hadn't even asked her if she'd go on a date with him yet.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
"Maybe. But my job is what matters most." she said simply. It was her nature, putting her self on the back burner and focusing on the well being of others. Nurturing those around her was what brought her satisfaction, and she had to learn to be content enough with that and that alone.

She nodded, noting that he liked rocks. It couldnt be that hard to find pretty rocks she could pay him with after all! Maybe she could find some by the Miana Pool...

But before her plan could be more well formulated, the stone necklace was being dangled in front of her. He...wanted her to have it? "But..." she started, but was cut off as his lips suddenly pressed against hers. Phoebe froze, stock still, completely caught off guard. Her heart thundered in her chest, and a little niggling of weakness in the back of her mind begged her to simply melt into it, to enjoy the physical affection while it lasted.

She couldn't though. She couldn't let herself fall again. Never again.

Pulling back Phoebe quickly looked away, cheeks bright red but expression full of sadness. "I-I'm sorry, Elias but I can't accept the gift and I really ought to be going." she stuttered, gathering her things as quickly as she could.
Elias Vaughn
Merchant

Change author:
Elias
Elias furrowed his brow, speaking quickly, "Phoebe, wait," he insisted, "I'm sorry." He had not been expecting the madame of a brothel to freak out about a kiss. He moved to stand, "You should stay. I'm the one who made you uncomfortable," his voice is smooth, calm.

He's noted her blush, and the simualtaneous look of sadness on her features. He doesn't know a lot about her past, but she had told him some key things the first time they had met, and Elias, for better or worse, had remembered. "Phoebe, I'm not looking for perfect."

She had once told him about trying to be perfect enough to be with anyone she was with, no matter the relationship. "I'm just looking for a chance." He knelt to tidy his basket, rolling his towel up after shaking it out, and carefully prepared to leave.