(o) i can't be your midnight love
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
princess, with lips made of glass
She’d decided to take a quick trip, to see where exactly people might be going once the Grounders arrived. She hadn’t expected it to take long, but it was still a trip mostly on her own. The last time she’d been in Halo, she’d been with family – with Deimos and Amalia, on wings of flight. It’s how she arrives now, her vulture form pale against the pale sky, winding down toward the ground within the Citadel, landing and shifting to herself to let her icy gaze flicker around the snowy civilization.

She doesn’t expect to see anyone she truly knows out here – but she had been a recluse for much of the last year. She hopes this might be a decent reason for her to focus on something else, something other than the Guildhall and the upcoming LongNight while Ru’in’s soul still remained trapped within the monster. She hopes that perhaps the creature that holds it won’t come after her for not following through with the bargain.

She also hopes Ludo forgives her for taking this year off.

Either way, she tucks her clothes around her, the furs tight around her neck and she begins to weave through the crowd that’s moving through the square – in search for something though she’s not entirely sure what yet.
and a voice cut from steel
features born from thunder and battle
KIADA
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 14 - Int:
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Whimzi Offline
Change author:
MP: 35
Back on Earth, Australia was considered hard mode as far as survival went. I never found it that way, being a born and raised there - mostly, the fear came from ignorance, from a blanket lack of understanding, of knowledge.

But since living here, in Halo, I can understand a bit more clearly why such trepidation about the unknown exists. My expedition to Antarctica was a challenge I thought I was ready for - my permanent relocation to Caido, however? Not so much.

A crowd is bustling, the street is busy. I am rugged up in my leopard seal overcoat, running errands for the landlord who owns the boardhouse I reside in. With a bag of root vegetables in my hands, I turn to move on from the shopfront I was standing before, and gently collide with oncoming foot-traffic as I step out without taking proper stock of my own position in relation to those around me.

"Sorry!" I exclaim, nearly dropping the bag of vegetables as I whirl around on the spot to face the poor soul who my broad shoulder clipped. "Are you alright?" I ask, glacial gaze looking over the figure before me, making as best an assessment as I can, but ultimately hoping I haven't caused offence or pain in the meantime.
Chulane

sxc.hu
whimzi on deviantart
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Well, she certainly doesn’t expect to get ran into. Though, it shouldn’t have come as a surprise when the square is as busy as it is – she’s used to the Grounds, perhaps too much so, for the imposing figure she offers in her scars and dark hair, for the icy judgement that laid within her gaze. But it softens as it lifts to meet his gaze, judging based off the height alone.

She’d stopped for a brief moment during the collision, her eyes darting to the vegetables stacked in the man’s arms, raising a dark brow as she steps to the side to try and get out of the way of the oncoming foot-traffic. “Yeah, you’ll have to try harder than that to knock me off my feet.” She offers brightly, a white smirk offered up before it softens and her eyes land on the many items in the man's arms. “Do you want some help?” There’s nothing else she has going on anyway, and if she could help and give a small boost to her image seeing as she’ll be spending the next season here… Well, why not?
KIADA
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
It is rather belated, my realisation that even as I collided with the shorter woman, she seemed to barely feel it - it was like hitting a solid mass, definitely another living being but a strong one, one whose feet did not easily give in to tripping, or whose social awareness did not have them focussed so internally that they walk out into a crowded walkway.

I mirror her steps, removing myself from the stream of foot-traffic so as to focus on her more clearly, my concern slowly dissipating as her words reassure me, a smirk tugging on the edges of her full lips.

"Oh-" I begin, about to decline her offer, before the bag in my hands decides it's had about enough of being useful for today.

Riiii-iiip, the sound yearns to be heard despite the ambient background noise of a busy street. I hear it, and feel the weight in my arms lessen significantly - this whole time, however, I refuse to look at the mess, instead focussing on the bright eyes of my newfound acquaintance, my brows raising slightly.

"You know, I might take you up on that," I say with what I hope is a debonair grin, before ducking down to grab what vegetables my lanky arms can hold.
Chulane

sxc.hu
whimzi on deviantart
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
He follows her, and there’s a hint of surprise that he does – a bit of surprise as his own glacial gaze meets her own, a similarity that is met with hidden shadows within her own, behind the mask of a playful edged smile and a slight tilt of her head as he begins to decline the help. But as luck would have it, his ran out quick surprisingly. Or… Perhaps it’s luck, that she’s already offered and the bag begins to spill but his eyes don’t leave her own as it does. “Well, I did offer.

A huff of a laugh leaves her lips, a chime of a sound as she looks down to see where they’d attempted to roll off to. She spots the grin he offers, unable to keep the humorous pulse leaving her with it, ducking with him to grab a few of the rogue vegetables. “I’m Kiada.” She offers, crouching down to reach for another few vegetables, lifting that similar icy gaze to his face to see what he might have to offer in return. “I’m from the Hollowed Grounds.” A bit of an explanation, in case he were a native that hadn’t recognized her.
KIADA
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
It would seem that I lucked out today.

I mean, I guess it depends on how you look at the situation.

• Walking out into foot-traffic and bumping into someone - bad luck (or, poor planning).
  • Bumping into a lovely lass who fortunately takes no offence or damage from the collision - good luck.
  • Having a very full bag of vegetables tear in front of said pretty lady - bad luck.
  • Having said lovely lady make an offer to help with said vegetables just before disaster struck - good luck.
  • Cashing in on her offer and having her follow through with it - very good luck.

I always try to be an optimist, clinging to what positives there are in life. Right now, as I am in a crouch-squat collecting vegetables off the ground, I choose to be grateful that the series of events that led to this moment proceeded in the way that they had, when so many far more disastrous things could have happened.

A strange pulse hits me then - at least, it is still strange to me, as I slowly learn more about what I am, and the full implications of that. At least I am learning to recognise other Attuned around me. The smile on my lips softens into something more gentle, more genuine, as I allow a light chuckle to form in my throat in response.

"Chulane," I say between motions of vegetable-gathering, "though you're welcome to call me Chuy." As the vegetables are slowly but surely wrangled and brought back into order, I take advantage of a recently vacated bench seat nearby to rest them upon. "I'm a recently arrived newcomer to Halo," I offer, "and just as recently realised I carry the Attuned gift within me." I hope to inform her purely because I have not yet learned the ways of speech without words while my human form dominates.

"It's been a steep learning curve," I say with a soft laugh, looking back up from the vegetables to her, gratitude evident. "Thanks, by the way," I offer a hand for her to shake in greeting.
  • Chulane

sxc.hu
    whimzi on deviantart
    Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
    There’s something about the smile that crosses his face that feels somewhat nostalgic in comparison – the accent is unfamiliar to her, at least mostly. And with it, it certainly doesn’t have the ring to it that Halo natives did, nor Torchline for that matter. So it’s no surprise at the end of it all that she learns that he’s new, and her grin sharpens a bit with it in interest and intrigue. “Nice to meet you Chuy.” She chimes to him, flashing him that same grin as she grabs a few more vegetables to add to his pile forming on the bench.

As for being new and attuned, this is when her head tilts a bit in interest, scanning him a bit more closely as they crouch there to gather the items, one of Kiada’s knees lowering toward the ground beneath her to support her a bit better as she reaches for a particularly far potato of some sort that had rolled. He seems kind enough, and she wonders how new he is to still have that brightness to him that she’s sure has already snuffed out of her own smile.

But that’s what masks were for, weren’t they?

You’re in luck once again, today.” She laughs lightly, placing the vegetables in her arms up on the bench, before adjusting the furs around her neck to pull it off to the side – the side with the X scar etched deep into her neck that soon disappears beneath a flurry of pale feathers tipped in inky black. “I’m Attuned as well. And an Outlander. Though I’ve been here a couple years now.” A small snort leaves her at that before she shakes her head and moves to stand, icy gaze flickering down toward the hand that’s offered and reaching out with a pale, scar flecked hand, calloused from weapons. A slight pulse of friendliness edging toward him with the gesture. “You’re welcome.” She winks to him, before a light laugh leaves her throat once more. “Where are you heading with this?” She asks, scanning past him briefly to see where it might be required.

He's not getting rid of her quite that easily, not while there wasn't a bag to place the rogue vegetables and her having two capable hands.
    KIADA
    Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
    Change author:
    I am still wrapping my head around the different races that exist in Caido, having (what I think is )the fortunate viewpoint that to me, they are all strange and new, and that I happen to fit into one of them, that one being Attuned. I know magic exists in this realm (though my brain stubbornly clings to the logic that magic is simply science which cannot be explained yet), and I know that it affects and inhabits the different species in different ways, and I cannot help but want to know all there is to know about it.

Kiada lifts the last of the vegetables to the bench, and reveals to me her neck - I notice the scar that is etched into her skin with quiet surprise, but allow my façade to show only appreciation to her revealing her gift to me. So it would seem that as one masters the gift of being an Attuned, they are able to do many curious things. I can't keep the excitement at the prospect of discovering these things for myself from my face - while I would like to ask after the origins of her scar(s), it is not something one usually does when they first meet another, perhaps as this acquaintance becomes more of a friend I will one day learn more about her.

I wish I could return the friendly beat that washes over me when we shake hands, and I look forward to being able to return the gesture - for now, I simply let the easy smile upon my lips do all the talking. I learn that she too is an Outlander, and I long to ask her about her past - my mind is whirring at the thought that other 'realms' exist besides Earth, a theory that many scientists have attempted to prove. Alas, she brings the topic back to the present moment, and I oblige in providing her with an answer: "Back to my lodge," I say, pausing for a moment. "My landlord has me run errands for him to cover payment for board and lodging. It seems a fair trade - I hope to be able to repay him in full for his kindness one day."

A slanted grin tugs at the corner of my mouth. "Does my luck extend so far as to secure your aid in getting them to their home?"
    Chulane

sxc.hu
    whimzi on deviantart
    Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
    There is a brighter smile that crosses Chuy’s face, one that’s reciprocated by Kiada as she places her furs back around her neck, the slight tuft of the feathers poking out above where they wrap around. Her question is aired, and her glacial gaze finds his face again as he explains the predicament he’s in. And honestly? It does seem like a fair trade. She snorts lightly, offering him a playful smile in response. “I’d call that fair.” She agrees, moving to grab an armful of the vegetables, catching the slanted grin that crosses his face.

Hmm, my schedules clear for the rest of the day.” She offers him with a huff of a laugh, shrugging her small shoulders with the vegetables within the grasp of her arms. “So I guess I can share a bit more luck.” And really? What else was she to do? “But first, I left my companion back there when I flew in… He should be here any moment.” She pauses in her step to turn back toward the oncoming crowd, just in time to spot the little Luxere as he weaves in and out of the crowd, trying not to get nabbed by someone as he rushes toward her side and presses against her leg.

Chuy, this is Auni.” She offers cheerfully, looking back over at the man. “Now I’m ready.” She chimes with a wink, waiting for him to lead the way.
    KIADA
    Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
    Change author:
    Delight was evident upon my face as Kiada accepted my request for further assistance. "Heh, I doubt you knew what you were signing up for when you first offered to help, hm?" It was a friendly enquiry, a warm and playful, but also my indirect way of thanking her - she surely didn't expect to be on her hands and knees picking up vegetables on the street, or lugging said vegetables around. I make a note to ask her what she's going here, though I am swiftly distracted from that task when she mentions companion.

My attention is piqued, my brows raising in delight as I completely forget about the vegetables for the moment, and crouch down to get a better view of the companion. "Auni," I repeat carefully, being sure to get the pronunciation correct. "Pleasure to meet you," I say warmly, digging around my many pockets for a few crumbs of biscuit to offer him. My passion for animals is something I will never get over - it allowed me to have quite a career on Earth, and I hoped to work it into my daily life here more. As I offer the biscuit, I hope the creature might allow me to gently stroke its soft fur a moment, though if he is too shy I do not push the issue.

It's with some mild embarrassment that I look up to Kiada again, and see her awaiting me to get back to the task at hand - you know, the one I asked her to assist with? Yeah, that one. The one with the vegetables. That she's holding.

I jump back upright with a palm to my forehead, and softly exclaim "right!" I gather what vegetables are left on the bench up, tucking smaller ones into some of the many pockets that line my coat, before saying "Right this way," as if I didn't just get distracted like a child over a shiny new toy at Christmas time. "So," I begin again, a hopeful smile on my lips as I lead the way towards my lodging, which is a couple of blocks up the street (and I make sure not to walk into anyone this time), "what brings you to Halo?" I had heard various reasons for others to migrate here, seemingly for the oncoming season, and was genuinely curious to know if this was the woman's reasoning as well.
    Chulane

sxc.hu
    whimzi on deviantart
    Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
    His quip has her offering a soft laugh in response. “Not exactly. But it beats wandering the Citadel with nowhere in mind to go, does it not?” She retorts with a small half smile, as Auni arrives and winds around her legs. And already the man has perks with the luxere, as Chuy crouches to inspect him. And Auni, he has no qualms with people that aren’t trying to nab him for something else, horns glimmering with their light glow in the daylight as he nears the other man to inspect him and sniff.

At the prospect of a biscuit, however, his ears perk forward and eyes grow wide, nub of a tail wiggling in his excitement. He vacuums it up, moving into Chuy’s space for the offered pets while Kiada snorts and picks up a few of the vegetables until her arms are laden with them. “Give him food and you’ll have a best friend.” She tells him with a tip of her head, and indeed Auni is already trying his best to wind around Chuy’s legs.

But they’re off, and she easily follows him, Auni taking up her other side as she lets him guide her around to where he lives to drop off the items. “I’m supposed to be helping keep an eye on the Grounders that will come here.” She offers brightly. “Halo reminds me a lot of the place I was born, so I figured I might as well spend a season here and relive the nostalgia.” A brief hum of a laugh leaves her lips before her icy gaze slips over toward him. “Have you been to the Grounds before?” She asks, wondering just how new he is.
    KIADA
    Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
    Change author:
    It's a relief to be in company who laughs - I enjoy laughter, the unexpectedness of it, the delight it defines, the many intonations it can possess. I have always laughed easily, and I have always sought to draw laughter from others - to put them at ease, to soothe and to simply enjoy - it is often forgotten just how much a simple laugh can heal old scars, can help one move on from trauma, from heartache.

I find myself seeking out laughter a lot, recently. A deep desire to find it, to cling to it, to wring it out until there is none left -  if it allows me to move on from the recent life-changing events that have occurred, I will gladly immerse myself in it.

And so I let the delight from meeting yet another companion fill me, I let the ease at which I converse with this new lass buoy my spirits, I simply let myself be, and try not to dwell on all the implications that both my history and hers try to overwhelm, to consume, to swallow me whole. I focus on the moment, the present, on the simple task that is go out and pick up vegetables for the landlord - when did such a task become so complicated?

"Ah, nostalgia, that old gem," I quip lightly, nodding along with her words, holding my tongue, longing to call nostalgia a bitch that likes to stab you in the back with dark despair when you least expect it - but I cling to the laughter instead, and push on with the present project.

"Ah, yes, briefly. I attended a lecture given by Jigano which I found most fascinating, and before I returned home-" (huh, first time I've called Halo that - not sure how I like it) "- I explored the woodland on the outskirts a bit," I respond to her question, pausing with a half-grin on my face as I meet her gaze. "Lovely place. Reminds me of camping trips I used to take back in Oz."

We continue walking, about halfway to the lodge. I set an easy pace - there is no rush, at least for me, and Kiada seems keen to meander about just as much as I am.
    Chulane

sxc.hu
    whimzi on deviantart
    Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
    His accented tone when he brings up the idea of nostalgia has a small snort leaving her as she bobs her head in agreement, as Auni takes an easy pace beside them and people begin to dodge and weave around them – as if they have their own little bubble when it comes to the task and trek they’ve headed on. “Sometimes it’s fun to relive it.” She offers with a playful wink sent back Chuy’s way, before her question of the Grounds is aired and her gaze focuses ahead on the path they take. The idea of Jigano and a lecture has her nodding and she glances to him with a bit wider of a smile.

The Outskirts and Woodlands at this time are quite stunning.” She agrees, thinking back to the multihued leaves and the way the deer simply seemed to wander about without a care in the world – hardly any huge predators to chase them away if not for the hunters that delved into the woods. “Oz?” She asks with a tilt of her head toward him, smile edging toward something a bit brighter. “I don’t think I’ve ever been camping, actually.” At least, not intentionally. Too farfetched in the ideas of living among the woods for survival versus a getaway trip.

It sounds nice, she thinks.

She lets him guide her, a steady and content pace and the vegetables she holds onto for him aren’t too heavy to make her arms sore – after all, she’d swung quite a few swords as of late, worked on her bow practice as well, if there was a thing such as muscular and well fit, it was her at this present moment. “Though I think if you’re looking for heat, you should go and visit Torchline. You might enjoy the sandy beaches.” She quips easily, a light grin crossing her face.
    KIADA
    Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
    Change author:
    Sometimes it's fun to relive it, she says, and I know she's right. I know that in time I'll get to a place where I can look back at all that has been left behind, all that was taken from me, and not be filled with sadness and sorrow, with a deep yearning to just be able to say goodbye, to explain - but how could I explain that which I am still wrapping my head around?

One day, one day, I know I will get there. Right now I simply let the conversation flow, let it naturally move to exploring her home, to discussing safe topics like camping and Oz - Oz? I ask the question back to myself, almost laughing at it. I hadn't really realised that I had shortened my homeland to Oz, and now I couldn't get the image of Dorothy skipping down the yellow brick road with her arm looped through a lion and a scarecrow - it's lucky that the snow-covered street we walk down is not yellow, or I probably would giggle out loud like an idiot.

"Camping should be approached like a recipe - all of the ingredients need to be just right to make the experience fun," I say with the air of an expert, a playful tone and arched brows emphasising certain words here and there. She speaks of a beach, of climes far warmer and sunnier than here, and once again, I am thrust into my memories, of salty water and sand, cool drinks and friends to share it with.

"Now that sounds like some place I could spend some time at," my warm tones convey, pushing past the temptation to wallow in my nostalgia (see, told you she was a bitch). I pause my words however, for we have reached our destination, and as I elbow my way through the door and allow Kia (I wonder if she'd mind me calling her that?) to pass through first, I maintain my friendly expression to simply rule in silence.

I nod towards the kitchen, greeting the landlord swiftly and emptying my many pockets, assisting Kia where I can, filling up the vegetable bucket with our plunder. Then I gently usher her back out - the cook had a temper if I lingered too long, I had discovered in the past - all the way to the front room once more, an area that is an almost-lobby, though more of a modest sitting room.

"Thank you, Kia, for your help," genuine gratitude is given - though I'm sure I would've found a solution eventually, having her assist made the task that much easier and the experience overall that much more enjoyable. "Can I get you a drink - water, mulled wine?" I ask, gesturing to the sitting area. My eyes catch on Auni, and a friendly amusement crinkles the edges of my eyes, as I (in as stealthy a way as possible) fetch another cracker from a pocket and drop it at my feet for the luxere.
    Chulane

sxc.hu
    whimzi on deviantart