an ounce of prevention
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Once again, Loren found himself pulled from the infirmary to greet someone who had come to the Palace seeking a member of the council. Seeing as Morgan was busy with the soldiers, Zariah was unapproachable, and Neron was scarce again, the guards had taken to just coming to the healer first. He didn't mind, seeing as there still weren't many patients for him to see.

Heading towards the sitting room they'd stashed the guest in, he opened the door cautiously. When he saw it was Kiada there, of all people, his eyes widened in surprise. However, the smile he flashed at her was friendly enough. "Kiada, long time no see! What brings you to Halo?"
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
if through some miracle, you are granted the chance to see him again
whether in this life or the next
The palace was a lot different than what they had in the Basin, but it was nice enough all things considered. And when it came down to figuring out what exactly she needed to get under her belt to help with the Grounders seeking refuge, it was the first place her and Auni went. They’d ushered her into a little waiting room where she sat, Auni at her feet, iceberg gaze flickering around the room while she waited.

When someone did come to fetch her, she hadn’t expected it to be Loren of all people, and she goes to stand easily and give him a small grin back in response to the friendly smile offered. “Hey Loren.” She offers easily with a nod of her head before continuing. “I’m supposed to help keep an eye on the Grounders when they arrive. Was hoping to get an idea of where we’d be going and what spaces would be important to know.” She adds on quickly, moving over toward him to get a bit closer, Auni following on her heels as his blue gaze lifts to scan Loren.
you are, and always shall be, his
KIADA
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Auni was a welcome surprise as well, and Loren smiled at the luxere. "Hey Auni. Astra will be happy to see you." However, the healer's own companion was still in the infirmary.

When Kiada revealed her reason for being here, he nodded in understanding. "I didn't know you'd be staying, but it's welcome news. Sadly, while I would enjoy a moment to catch up, but Deepfrost is almost upon us. We can talk as I give you the tour." He gestured for her (and Auni) to join the Launceleyn.

Assuming she followed, he would lead her towards the nearest set of stairs. "I don't know what you've heard, but we've been preparing quarters for you here in the Palace. They're rough, so people should bring as many of their own belongings as possible. As for Deepfrost itself, we're basically trapped in the Citadel for the duration. So bring food, drinks, and ways to keep boredom at bay." He began walking down the stairs to lead her to the rooms in question.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
There’s a wiggle of Auni’s tail as he’s addressed, but Kiada’s gaze remains on Loren as he begins to speak to her. “Sure.” She begins, falling into step beside the summoner, icy gaze following the path ahead. “I’m hoping to stay away from the Grounds after what happened last year… At least until I get a bit more training.” A shrug of her shoulder to that, a pulse of something uncertain flickering in the attuned bond before it’s quickly snuffed out.

She follows him down the stairs, gaze lingering on his back as she does so and takes in what he has to say, nodding despite him not being able to see it more than likely. “Good to know.” She offers honestly, head tilting slightly. “What kind of things don’t get dull after a while?” She asks, offering him a brighter smile to that — wanting at least some examples that didn’t fall under her idea for those that would be coming with her.
KIADA
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Brow furrowing in confusion, Loren gave Kiada a curious look. "I can understanding wanting to stay away from the Hollowed Ground, but what happened last year?" Then he cleared his throat delicately. "Sorry. You don't have to tell me if you don't want to." He scratched the back of his head sheepishly, sending her an apologetic pulse as he did.

"As for training, I might be able to help you with that, depending on what, exactly, you were hoping to train." Making sure to give her a polite smile this time, he couldn't help the slight questioning tone to his voice. When she responded to his comment about boredom, he let out a huff of laughter. "I can think of a few, but they're not exactly fit for polite company" Flashing her a grin, he led her through the hallways until they reached a set of three rooms.

Opening the first one, he held the door for her. Inside, there were furs lining the walls and floors, a mostly stocked fireplace, and pillows piled in one of the corners. "The wood should last until just before LongNight, but we have a larger stockpile that you can draw on. There's snow piled on the outside as well to help with insulation, and all three rooms are like this." Pausing, he raised his eyebrows, wondering if she had any questions or concerns.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
She supposes that he’ll find out eventually, and the pulse of apology is met with a small shrug, a pulse of nonchalance sent back. “I went out to get a soul last year for Ludo and I failed. Not quite strong enough yet to go back and face it again.” More like she’s not sure how much more mentally she can handle it if she were to fail again — to cut off his head and try to retrieve the soul within the sludge of rain.

But she stops thinking on it as he offers his help with the training, a smile crossing her face with that. “Attuned shifting, mostly. I’m pretty well versed in weapons already.” After all, she had beat out everyone else to get to Delah for the Greatwood challenge — failing spectacularly, but she’d made it. Still, she offers a chimed laugh in response to Loren’s quip, icy gaze narrowing playfully. “See, that’s what I was thinking too but I can’t exactly get away with telling the Grounders that.” She quips back, winking as she steps through the door to view the preparations already made.

She maneuvers easily with Auni at her feet toward the fur lined walls, the piles of wood within, everything laid out before she turns to him with a bright smile. “Better than I was expecting, to be honest.” Her mind had gone to stone walls, to cramped quarters, to shared everything.
KIADA
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Kiada explained why she had some trepidation about being in the Hollowed Ground for LongNight, Loren nodded in understanding. "I see. And I'm sorry." He offered her a tentative smile. "Seeing as I've got to work on my shifting as well, perhaps I can help you get stronger. At least during Deepfrost." It was a genuine offer, which she should be able to tell through the bond.

Letting out a huff of laughter, he winked. "Luckily for you, it's so cold in Halo, especially during Deepfrost, that the Halovians have found some quite creative ways to keep warm." Or at least that what they kept telling him.

Propping the door open with his foot, he let her inspect the room, reaching out to scratch Auni behind the ears as the luxere passed. However, the healer grinned at her response. "I'm glad I could exceed you expectations." He gestured at the hallway. "Would you like to see the rest of the Palace as well?"
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
There’s another shrug offered to Loren at the apology. It wasn’t his fault she’d been a recluse most of the year, when she could have spent it training and building more brawn. So instead she flashes him a brighter grin at the mention of a companion for training. “Sounds like a plan, then. Got any training grounds indoors?” She teases him lightly, expecting that he likely did, somewhere in this huge space.

The mention of Halovian’s being creative with ways to keep warm, the smirk flashed her direction has her lips curling into one as well, another chime of amusement leaving her. “Is that so? Hm, where can I find one of these Halovians?” She flashes him a wink back as she goes to inspect the room, playful banter always keeping her mood and intentions light.

But it was surprising, the amount of effort given, and Auni pauses near Loren to get a few more scratches in as she turns to face him, pulling dark hair away from her face as she focuses her glacial gaze onto him. “Sure. I wonder what other goodies there are hiding in these walls.” Another bout of amusement as she returns to the door, head angling up to glance at him as she passes through the door and waits for him to lead the way.
KIADA
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
At Kiada's question, Loren smiled. "We do. And the soldiers won't mind a few more joining them. Alternatively, I can set up something more private if you would prefer."

His smile turned into a wicked grin to match the one she sent his way. "I suppose I am technically a Halovian now, though some people are having trouble accepting that fact." Winking, he let out a huff of laughter. "However, you'd likely have better luck finding a born and bred one down at the Kraai. That's the best of the local bars."

Turning to lead her further into the Palace, he led her to the next location on the impromptu tour. It was the kitchens, and as he pushed the doors open, he spotted Astra munching contentedly on an apple. Laughing at the sight, he walked over to her and knelt. "Were you begging from the cooks again." Shaking his head affectionately, he pointed at Auni. "Look who came to visit."

She started bleating excitedly, practically galloping over to her fellow luxere. Only stopping to give the mercenary a quick greeting, the healer's companion dashed a joyful circle around Auni. The Launceleyn had to grin at the sight. Standing up, he picked up another apple and held it out for Kiada to give to Auni, if she wanted.

"In case you couldn't tell, these are the kitchens. We don't have much food or drink to spare, but don't hesitate to take the soup or the alcohol that's been left out." Loren pointed at the cauldron of stew that was always bubbling in here along with the pot of mulled cider. They alternated between cider and wine most days.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
Ah, well. Perhaps a group training and an individual one, depending how it goes of course.” She offers with a light tilt of her head, lips curling into a feline grin back at Loren as he comments further. “We are Outlanders, you know.” She teases him, elbow snaking out to brush into his side if he lets her, a hum of a laugh slipping from her throat.

At least until she hears the name of the bar and perks up a bit, head cocking to the side. “Gross, that sounds Korofian.” Lips pursing slightly, brow furrowing slightly. She considers the implications of it before shaking her head and focusing on the kitchens that come into view. Astra is there, and Auni already can’t help but to wiggle past Kiada to greet Astra as if it was the best thing in the world. Kiada snorts, offering a light pet to Astra before letting her and Auni acquaint themselves.

She takes the apple to give to Auni when he’s far less excited, following as Loren gestures toward the stew and the alcohol, lip quirking lightly with that as she focuses on the implications of what he’s said. “Oh don’t tell me that, I might live here then.” Another chimed laugh leaves her, eyeing the cider before turning to focus her attention back on Loren.
KIADA
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren couldn't help but smile at Kiada. "I'm looking forward to it." Indeed, he sounded downright eager, though he tried to temper it a bit and keep it from their bond.

Not moving as she elbowed him, he leaned over to nudge her with his shoulder in response. "I know. As if anyone in Caido would ever let me forget." Grinning ruefully, he just shook his head.

Letting out a huff of laughter, he nodded. "It is Korofian." He gave her a sly look. "Don't worry, it's just Sunjata's name attached. It's run by a wonderful local woman named Weaver." Tone and expression both growing fond as he spoke about the proprietress, he grinned. However, he sent a pulse of understanding to the mercenary as well.

Astra couldn't stand still with Auni there. Continuing to dash around her fellow luxere, she eventually bleated enthusiastically and trotted over to a corner where the cooks had laid out some hay in a basket for her. Snorting, the healer shook his head. "If you're not careful, the cooks will spoil Auni too." Then he gave Kiada a much more serious look. "However, luxere make up the bulk of the game hunters bring in here. So be careful where you let him roam."

As she quipped again, he laughed. Making his way over to the cider, he poured two glasses and handed one to her. "That doesn't sound like a problem to me." Grinning, he toasted her, then took a sip. Letting out an appreciative sound, he gestured for the exit. "Shall we continue?"
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
A brighter grin is sent toward Loren at the excitement of training — how long had it been since she’d trained with someone other than family? Too long, really, and she focuses instead on elbowing him, remaining still as his shoulder bumps into her own and she snorts lightly in response. “Of course not.” She chimes, though it’s not like it matters much to her. “I don’t really care so much anymore. I hit… three worlds before coming here?” She muses aloud, shrugging before the Korofi name reaches her.

I suppose I’ll give it a shot.” She shrugs, a tilt of her head. “I can see my father disapproving from wherever he is.” She flashes him a grin, another chuckle of laughter leaving her. At Astra’s antics, Auni nearly grows frantic, following Astra to the makeshift bed to sniff and bump his antlers around as he investigates further, quiet quips of sound leaving him.

Kiada’s focus remains on the summoner though, watching as he goes to grab a drink for them. “When I first arrived someone tried to pick him up.” She smirks lightly at the memory before shaking her head, taking the glass with a dip of her head. She toasts with him before taking a sip and letting it linger along her tongue, feeling the sweetness and warmth it brings to her otherwise cold exterior. The mention of more of a tour has her perking up a bit, eyeing him curiously with a slight tilt of her head. “After you, though you’ve already got my main spaces covered.” Another light tease — gesturing for him to lead the way.
KIADA
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Letting out a huff of laughter, Loren nevertheless gave Kiada a sympathetic look. "You've got me beat. I've only been to two other worlds before Caido." Hesitating, he gave her an almost apologetic look. "Have you...I mean, what has that been like for you?" The question came out quietly.

Raising his eyebrows, his expression grew curious. "Did your father disapprove of you drinking, or of Korofians?" However, he made a show of looking around the kitchen. "Either way, I don't see him here." Astra was more than happy to have Auni's company as she munched contentedly on some hay. The healer had to grin at the sight of her making another friend.

When the mercenary mentioned her first visit to Halo the Launceleyn grinned. "Someone asked me how much I wanted for Astra once." There was something a bit smug and fiercely protective about his expression. Leaning one hand against a counter, he took another sip of his cider. "Sleeping, fighting, and drinking, is that it? You've got a taste for the finer things in life." Smirking as well, he led her out into the hallway.

Then he took her towards an ornate set of doors. Astra trotted behind as well, bleating quietly, but happily, at Auni. Loren paused, a slightly bemused smile crossing his lips. "This is the Arcane Academy. Seeing as you're not an Abandoned, and seeing as Zariah runs it, I'm mostly showing it to you so you don't stumble upon it accidentally."
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
Flashing Loren a bright smirk she shrugs her shoulders. “Means not getting attached.” And really? That’s what it was. At least, for her. “Though here it’s a bit harder seeing as Deimos and Hotaru and my mother are here, however strange it might be.” But they weren’t here here. “I still wonder where my siblings disappeared to.” A hum of a thought to that before she passes it off in favor for better conversation.

The question of her father, however, has a rogue grin crossing her face — sharp and bright like knives. “Hated Korofians.” She clarifies. “I’m half Dorobian, if it matters. Auni’s name means ‘light’ from it.” She adds with a gesture to the Luxere now trying to lay beside Astra’s bed, his head laying on the pile of hay she munches on, tail wiggling quickly.

She takes a sip from the cider and leans back against the counter, looking back toward Loren as he comments someone asked how much Astra was worth. Her grin grows amused and wicked as she focuses on the summoner. “How much did you tell him?” She teases, before a laugh slips from her throat and they’re moving again and his quip has her rolling her eyes in amusement. “Oh, come on. Do I look like the type to mull around and do nothing all day?” She sticks her tongue out at him with that. The answer obviously no just based off of the scars that litter her skin.

The Arcane Academy has her gaze snatched away though, especially with the mention of Zariah, and she takes another sip from the glass as she focuses on it. “Good to know.” She hums before a wistful sigh leaves her lips. “I used to have magic before, though. I wasn’t attuned before I came here.” She raises a brow and gives him a small grin with that tidbit of information.
KIADA