Be Prepared
For Remi
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Samuel

Not so long before this, Sam would have been nervous about going to Remi's home for anything but after their conversation at the Festival he was cautiously optimistic; better still he had a reason for being there, having been chosen by the council to watch over the Natural migration to Torchline for LongNight. So he would have time to prepare everything properly he had brought his things to stay for the whole of Deepfrost, hoping it might give him a chance to familiarise himself with where they would be staying.

He arrived at early evening when the sun was behind purple hazy clouds, the shadow of the Lighthouse still a welcome reprieve. Knocking on Remi's door Sam adjusted his heavy pack on his shoulders: he still had to find somewhere to stay, was hoping there would be a suitable inn or sympathetic person with a bedroom in Haulani. There was still some residue anxiety in his chest about seeing the new Governor again, but he tried to stamp it down and got ready to smile when the door was answered.

Suppose I never ever met you
Suppose we never fell in love
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
REMI
the alchemist
What good are hands
if there's nothing that they hold
Rexanna had mentioned that Sam would be the one to...help prepare Torchline to take in the Grounders prior to LongNight. It made him feel uneasy, being in this situation of wanting to keep the problems of his past at arm's length, and yet inviting many of those problems to dwell on his doorstep. But it was only a week, as Ronin had reminded him. Besides, it wasn't as if he could actually say no.

Opening the door, Sam would find Remi dressed quite casually: just his magical white-shirt and a pair of grey sweatpants that sat low on his hips. Unlike other rulers, Remi didn't seem at all tempted to give into the pomp and circumstance of his new title. If he was judged on the quality of his clothing, so be it. No disrespect to Sam, but the ascended had seen the Alchemist dressed to the nines, and seen him in nothing at all; surely it didn't matter at this point.

"Come in." Remi said, opening the door for the bookmaker. There was no need to tell Sam to be quiet given who and what he was, and though Seren was asleep in the next room, the walls were thick enough here that it shouldn't be a problem.
And what good are hearts
if you bury them all alone?
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Samuel

Sam was so preoccupied by the oncoming social situation that he didn't notice at all what Remi was wearing: the Alchemist had never particularly been one for snappy dressing anyway. The greeting was short and not really a greeting at all, but it wasn't a dismissal. Nodding and stepping in, taking off his pack and resting it by the door for the moment, he rubbed his shoulders and looked about at where Remi was living nowadays.

"Thank you." He looked about for somewhere to sit down. When he had entered he had half expected to find a scene of domestic bliss, Ronin and Remi sat with their Safrin-child, but neither Remi's husband or sort-of-daughter were to be seen. "I've come to discuss the Hollowed Grounds citizens that will be coming here for LongNight, as I'm sure you'll know. I'll be staying in Haulani with them throughout LongNight and for a while before to make sure I've prepared all we need."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
What good are hands
The 'government-wing' of the house was decidedly unhomey, as Sam had noticed. Gesturing vaguely at a chair by the window where the full view of the sea was on offer, the Alchemist moved behind a rather large desk and slouched down into his own chair. Vaguely, a dream he'd had once of Sam in a room that had filled full of water made the hairs on the back of his neck stand up. Rubbing at the spot with one of his hands, Remi nodded as Sam spoke up.

"I'm surprised it's you that Rexanna delegated." He commented with a half-smirk. "What with Nate being here...The fact you've spent the majority of your life in the grounds..." Though the Alchemist shrugged, there was a quiet sort of request in his words. A call for justification that Sam would be able to do what he was sent here to do.
And what good are hearts
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

The chair Remi offered him had a pleasant view indeed and Sam couldn't help looking out of the window to the sea beyond as Remi sat down, only turning his head back once Remi began to speak. He supposed he was surprised he was here too, so he couldn't really be offended at the comments made, though he was well equipped to defend himself.

"Well, I'd like to think both me and Nathaniel are mature enough to not let our personal issues get in the way of something as important as LongNight preparation. I'm...hoping to mostly not see him." Sam shrugged. Torchline was a big enough place that it seemed entirely possible he would be here all Deepfrost and simply never run into Nate, who had to have his own schedule and things he did: that would be the ideal way for it to turn out.

As for his inexperience with Torchline, he shrugged. "None of the council have any particular familiarity with Torchline. Honestly, most of the other council members had reasons to stay in the Hollowed Ground. I didn't, so I volunteered for this. I'm...confident I can do it." If only Remi could remember how he'd once been, stuttering and unsure of his ability to even successfully do a day outside of his home. Now he was still nervous, still thinking over his words inside, but found that when they came out they were steady and he believed in what he was saying, knowing that this task was within his capabilities.

"I was hoping we might have a building in Haulani set aside for the Grounders that come through..?" He asked, hoping to get right to business.

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
What good are hands
If this attempt at friendship had been fostered sooner, Remi might have chuckled at that. Pointing out that Sam wasn't usually the best at always remaining mature in times of high emotional stress. Instead, he just merely nodded, taking the bookmaker's words at face value. If Sam said he could manage, then he could manage.

"How does anyone have reason to stay in the grounds?" Remi asked, almost rhetorically. "Better a few broken windows and such than more death, but what do I know." Crossing his arms and looking out the window for a moment, eventually, the Alchemist nodded as he tugged in a breath. "The Inn is probably the best suited. That way everyone can stay together. There are other houses available should that be needed, but I expect it would be easier for everyone to be centrally located and in one place."
And what good are hearts
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

At Remi's question Sam let out a half-laugh and shrugged. "Personally, the moment I heard there was a chance to leave...well, at first I thought I was duty-bound to stay, but when I wasn't...I would rather be anywhere but the Grounds. I've seen too many LongNights there." He could only be thankful the Ascended had not chosen to fight the monsters this year: though he wasn't sure if he would have joined them if they had, as shameful as it was.

"I think...most have reasons to do with the Gods for wanting to stay." He said vaguely, both because it wasn't his business to share and because he wasn't sure what quests kept the rest of the council in the grounds.

He nodded at the location given. "The inn sounds good. I'll go and talk to the owner about setting things up as soon as I'm settled, then. Thank you." Really, their business was finished here, but Sam found himself hesitant to leave, wanting to speak to Remi longer. "...Do you expect any trouble over Longnight here?"

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
What good are hands
"Mmm. I can only imagine. Two was enough for me." Remi's jaw feathered a touch at that. Would there be a third for him, given Ronin's assignment there? He honestly didn't know. It would be far too easy to say he had to stay in Torchline because of his position as Governor, and because of Seren. But would he?

Grunting in acknowledgement of that, the Alchemist slumped back into his chair, levelling an easy stare towards Sam. "Not really, no. Not unless the monsters can travel through portals, but given that they didn't into the Greatwood, I think we should be alright. It's warm enough here too. Next season is the one we've got to worry about, what with the storms and floods and such."
And what good are hearts
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

"..Yes. Though...the last few have been particularly savage. I suppose I might just be older and more aware of it." While his parents had never been protective, he had been kept away from the monsters at least as a child, even if they were used as a constant deterrent from doing anything he wanted to. Don't read that book anymore or we'll throw you outside. If you don't finish your dinner we'll open your window tonight.

Hearing that Deepfrost would likely be alright in Torchline made Sam smile. As horrible as it was, he wasn't that concerned about Flowerbirth for the moment, since he and the Grounders would be gone by then...and besides, Torchline had to have ways in place to deal with it. "Right..have you got some people from Torchline helping you govern here? I presume they know how to deal with all the...floods, and so on."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
What good are hands
As to this, the Alchemist had no thoughts. He'd heard whispers of what LongNight had been like before, but of course that hardly mattered. Once even, in a tributary of history that neither man remembered, Sam had told Remi about his LongNight's as a child. Tucked away, doors tightly closed, spending the week just reading. It hadn't sounded so bad, then. Nice, almost.

"I do, yeah." Remi said with a nod. Raza was the only natural in the government, but of course that hardly meant anything. The titles he'd given out were more like bribes than anything else (and a way to make fun of Ronin, in the case of his husband). "Equally though, if all it took was a few people with experience to make a season run smoothly, there wouldn't be any need for you all coming here, now would there?" For a moment Remi's expression was stern, judgemental almost, before he smiled and shook his head.

"So you and sunlight, then..?" He asked, a brow raised, wondering just how it was an ascended was meant to spearhead something like this. Remi didn't need memories past to recall the times Sam ran from tree-shadow to tree-shadow, tucking in his legs as the sun rose above and patches of darkness grew harder to find.
And what good are hearts
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

Remi's question about the Grounder's experience drew a little laugh from Sam as he nodded and shrugged, admitting his agreement. "I suppose you're right. Still, it will be good to have naturals on hand anyway. A lot of the older people in town...well, at least in the Hollowed Grounds, like to think that someone like them is at least advising those in charge." He knew his role was important in the council in the Grounds, despite his Ascension many still saw him as the representative of the values of those that had lived there for years.

The question was one (he hoped) that was born from concern and he held out his hands and looked at them (one gloved) as if analysing how they might hold up. "It bothers me much less nowadays. I wouldn't go sunbathing or anything, but...I don't think it'll be a disaster if I find myself briefly in the sunlight. Besides, it...does get dark here still during LongNight, doesn't it?"

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
What good are hands
The Alchemist smiled a touch quietly at that. It might have been clear from his expression, depending on how closely Sam was looking, that he didn't fully agree. Remi was fully on the side of those who wanted to keep their traditions and customs from being sullied by outsiders, but equally, this was his home now too. Perhaps he lacked some things in terms of experienced, but he was more than a little 'done' with this notion of Outlanders always being just that. Then again, what did Remi really know about government, anyways?

Laughing at the image of Sam's incredibly pale skin darkening beneath the sun, too slick with oil and covered in sand. "Mmm it does, yeah. Or so I'm told. A week of darkness everywhere, but of course, unlike the grounds, we'll have plenty of torchlight to go off of. And the coast glows, as I'm sure you've seen already."

Glancing at Sam's single-gloved hand, Remi raised a brow. "I suppose it's good you won't be suntanning. You'd get quite the tanline with that." The question of why are you wearing that? softly asked in the comment, but easy enough to ignore if the bookmaker wanted.
And what good are hearts
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Samuel

Sam didn't really know if he agreed with all the older Naturals either: as an Ascended he'd certainly brought about a lot of change and didn't necessarily believe in preserving tradition simply for the sake of it; still, he knew why his position was valuable.

Hearing that LongNight did get dark was oddly comforting; both because it meant he was less likely to have an unfortunate time with the sun and because it was familiar. While he wouldn't miss the monsters and terror of the Grounds, there would be something nice in still seeing the dark at this time of year. "Why...does the coast glow like that?" He asked, not knowing much about the environment of Torchline.

Remi acknowledged the glove and he laughed awkwardly at the comment. "Mmm. I'm...not wearing it for fun. It's a prosthetic..." With a gentle click he pulled the glove off his hand and held it up, revealing his missing fingers. "...Deimos made it for me. He...needed my fingers."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
What good are hands
"There's...I think they're called plankton?" The Alchemist replied, rubbing lightly at the scruff on his chin. "There are all sorts of stories about why they glow the way they do. Some say it's a blessing from Safrin and Frey, others say it's a warning sign..." Remi shrugged. Stories abound in Torchline after all.

Looking at the metal digits, Remi frowned deeply, his eyes flicking up sharply towards Sam's face once he'd gotten the measure of what he was saying. Once, long long ago, he'd made a prosthetic for a friend...but it hadn't been because he had needed her fingers. "Deimos...needed your fingers." He repeated slowly, wondering just as Sam might have done ot him on the beach, just who it was he was looking at now, and where the man he'd once known had gone.
And what good are hearts