WHY NO LOVE FOR THE FAE?
The Best
Incredible Incredulator

Age: 38 | Height: smol | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 0 - Strg: 108 - Dext: 42 - Endr: 8 - Luck: 4 - Int:
Mowgli - Mythical - Crazy fire-breathing horse
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
HEY ALL

So Honey and I LOVE the Fae and the Greatwood and are so sad to see it as the neglected child. So we'd like to know from YOU what it would take for you to make a Fae? Or, what are the things holding you back?

Our thoughts?

1. The levelling cap?
2. Height/age limitations?
3. The lying thing?
4. Lack of a leader (someone can have Delah, or she can die and someone can take over???)
5. Their lore?

But tell us! For those of you who don't have a fae, why has it never interested you?
smol and sweet

Age: 26 | Height: medium height | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
For me, I feel like I wouldn’t be able to properly portray their lore and their personalities. It’s so well established and I joined late so I feel like I wouldn’t be able to properly play a Fae. I wouldn’t want to make others mad for making mistakes.
I do love the idea of their lore, I just don’t think I could play one with my level of experience.

I considered a Fae at one point but it was just too intimidating.
Chan Chanling

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
For me, it's the levelling cap, along with what I felt to be a lack of purpose with the race. They don't seem to be especially good at anything, or really struggling with anything, or have any real goals aside from remaining isolated from everyone else/hating the Ascended.

I've also had a hard time grasping what their culture is really like, based on what's written in the existing lore. As someone who likes to be self-sufficient when it comes to writing, I don't really enjoy asking admin about that kind of thing.

This is probably part the reason why I never got going with the Far character I did make.
Prima ballerina

Age: 2 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Honestly, it is the lack of a leader. I would LOVE someone to take Delah because I love her and think she epitomizes what the Fae are supposed to be.

I also think their lore could stand to be fleshed out a bit more, not necessarily about them as a race but them as a culture.

Age: 28 | Height: Microscopic | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
For me it's also IC difficulty of their natural hatred/wariness of humans. It makes it hard to be true to their history and culture while still threading with people since there are so few Fae. On top of that the lack of numbers makes it hard when you have no fellows and community, though that seems to be what we're trying to change.

I don't think it's a lack of leadership necessarily since it hasn't mattered much for the other races. But they're predisposed to civil war with each other and being wary of each other, and on top of that being wary of others etc so then there's little IC reasoning for them to ever leave the Greatwood. And then what's the draw for people to go IN? I'll think some more since I'm on mobile right now.
procurer of bagels and other baked goods

Age: 8 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Played by: Kyra Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
So a few things, and they largely agree with that's been said.

1. The Lore, as others have said, because I don't know it and feel like I can't quite get a grasp on it without reading a million posts (says the girl who joined as a native too, but it felt easier to catch up as a native in a new-ish land than a native in a land where they should know all the things...that may not make sense, i tried, lol). I actually flirtted with the idea of trying to adopt Delah and read a bunch of her posts but I feel vastly too far behind to catch up and do justice to her or anyone who should know as much as the Fae, and a lot of it I just ended up confused about because it didn't match up to what I read elsewhere, so I figured I'm just dumb and behind. Also since they generally don't leave the Greatwood (from what I can understand), which though that makes sense, limits what they can do.

2. I'm in between on the leveling cap - the lazy part of me really loves it, but also, I like to have things to work toward and it's a great way to get new stuff and have some goals without needing brain power (hmmm, lazy trend much?).

3. Probably the most important to me, personally, is simply that there's a ton of races and I can't play them all, so it comes down to picking ones that are most appealing. They all look fun, but some more so than others, and if I have to limit, I'm going to pick the more fun ones.
The Best
Incredible Incredulator

Age: 38 | Height: smol | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Just as a bit of background from my side:

1. The levelling cap was put into place because the fae are basically hybrids who can fly and that felt really OP to us when we made them. Hence why you could only get to level 5. But level 5 is still an accomplishment takes a while, so we thought it was a realistic place to halt them.

2. Lore - Sort of chuckling because...the fae don't have much of a lore? No more so than any other race? It's basically "we live in the forest because it's the best. We've had some wars, whatevs." We made the Greatwood cool and semi-sentient by spitting people out, and so that fed into the Fae's dislike of other species being in their woods, but not necessarily in general. We've always said the fae are pretty inquisitive and open, they just don't like anyone walking right up into their main village. We've intentionally left it vague, like most things, so that you could all fill in the details.

I think what I find most perplexing is that...no one seems to have these problems with other areas. Torchline is basically "fighty pirates" but no one is saying, "oh, well I don't really understand the lore so I won't have anyone from there", which is why it felt to me like there was something else going on.
smol and sweet

Age: 26 | Height: medium height | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
For me, Torchline and the Fae are different since I was here when torchline opened up. There weren’t tons and tons of wars and problems set in stone, with the Fae I missed all of the problems.

Also I’ve already made mistakes with my first ever natural lol.

Honestly, I’m just intimidated since it may seem so easy to others, but to me it’s so intimidating.
procurer of bagels and other baked goods

Age: 8 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Played by: Kyra Offline
Change author:
Agreeing with Oakley. I started with Halo natural because it was the newest land so I figured I could make the fewest mistakes and I try not to have to ask a million questions.

I guess maybe it just *feels* like the Greatwood is established with lots of history, even if it's really still pretty vague and up in the air for us. Like I've read the plot summaries and some posts and it felt a little overwhelming to try and catch up since I started after that Greatwood was opened. Maybe that helps explain. Though obviously dunno about those who were here when it opened.
Prima ballerina

Age: 2 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
I think though Odd, the difference is most people understand what a "fighty pirate" is, and they are still human. The Fae are non-human so I think that makes it a bit more difficult to understand for some folks? Their culture would likely be very different and being secluded would lead to very specific traditions and customs and perhaps even different anatomical structures (how do they have babies for instance - that is explained for the Merfolk but not the Fae).

Hopefully that makes sense. If not you know where to find me :)
Chan Chanling

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
I think the catch might be that the Fae come off as 'not human' which, at least for me, begs for more information. And, to expand on my thoughts about their race being undefined..

Abandoned have the whole concept with 'oh no, we've been disgraced and our magic is shunned, how do we deal with this'. It's super fun to write, and aside from the levelling, there's the chase to get more magic, and combining it; there's a ton of things to work with.

Ascended have the 'us against the world' thing, Attuned the 'beloved by the Old Gods' same as the Accepted, who also have the delightful option of changing or resisting the change - they have a choice in what to do with themselves.  Same thing there with their shifts/upgrades/items, they have other things beyond the level to strive for, purely ooc.

But the Fae... like... what's their deal? What's their struggle, their thing to be proud of, what makes them stand out? The flying? Is it possible they are too well rounded and that makes them less interesting to pick?

Adversity is a strong motivator in writing and character building, at least on my part.
Am I famous yet?

Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
Not a question, comment - but I'd love to hear more about the Whispershore Fae vs the Village Fae. Build on that rivalry.

If that were a thing, I think it'd be more interesting.

Edit: Personally, I would have difficulty going against W at this point. Blatantly biased, soz. And can't handle more than 3 chars. Could kill off Lily, but I'm not ready to do so yet.

And I still want to bring a fucking dragon through the portal and set the woods on fire :)

Age: 48 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Played by: Socks Offline
Change author:
For me personally, I've always intended to cap out at 3 characters. (I have 2 and eventually I'll make my Outlander, but not until I've got Freina a bit more established.) That's just because I don't think I could do more characters than that justice. I don't want to overextend myself.

Now, characters can (and do!) die, and so the bigger question is "would I ever play a Fae?" And the answer to that is... maaaybe? I'm with Brit on this: I get why Fae are pretty hostile to humans given what's gone on, but it's still been really hard for me to thread with Fae characters. So, given the difficulty of playing a Fae who hates/is wary of basically all the other characters, I'm not really going to use one of my (admittedly self-imposed) "slots" on one.

I'm more interested in Attuned and Ascended (now that I have an Accepted and an Abandoned) than in Fae, and even Ascended kind of seem like a higher difficulty setting, to use video game terms. Fae seem even more difficult than that, and it just doesn't feel like something I'm looking for.

If that "f*ck off hoomies" attitude was gone? Then it's probably the level cap. Part of the reason I joined this site instead of a different RP one (aside from the awesome worldbuilding) is the leveling & stats mechanics. So if Fae top out at level 5, what's beyond that for them?
The Best
Incredible Incredulator

Change author:
Interesting feed back, thanks!

Astor - what do you mean the whispershore fae, vs. greatwood fae? I have no idea what this means, other than vaguely I remember someone asking once if their fae could live somewhere other than the village.