(SE) running red lights
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
i wanted to be ruined —
a little more than i wanted
— to be loved
This must be the Korofi bar that Loren told her about. The look of it is nice, but the name rolls off her tongue in a way that makes it feel oily and wrong, and she wonders if her father, wherever he is, is silently disapproving of it. But regardless, she has heard it’s a nice bar of all things, run by a Halovian, and so really how bad could it be?

She arrives with a journal in hand, furs wrapped around her up and down as she almost stalks her way toward the front of the bar and takes a seat, setting the journal there and scouting the room. It’s busy enough, with nobody she recognizes, and so it appears as though it might be yet another day on her own doing her own bit of research. She reaches up to remove the fur around her neck, using it as a sort of brace for her arm, flipping open the journal to a fresh page and scribbling out ‘Halo’ on the top, before glacial eyes scout for someone to order a drink from.
KIADA
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
KORBIN
Remember when I swore
That you and I would never die
Some days he was almost like he used to be, in days long gone by. Smiling, laughing, trading banter with people that came and went like he didn't have a care in the world. Some days he was a storm cloud, brewing in ominous silence. Some days he broke out in fits of rage, snapping and snarling at anyone that came close. Those times he made sure to stay away from the Kraai, from anything that might damage the reputation of his sister and this place she had made for herself.

Today, he was a ghost. An empty void behind a mask of cheer, mouth smiling and laughing as he served drinks and took orders - but the blue eyes remained dark and humorless regardless of what people said. On the upside, nothing they said managed to anger him. But... nothing really made him brighten either. He was just too numb, distant even from himself, and everything he did was on routine.

Setting out drinks ordered by a pair of locals he knew well, the dark-haired young man cleaned off glasses left behind by a group of customers that just left. Passing them along to the kitchen for washing and replacing, he wiped his hands on a towel, threw it over the shoulder and turned back to the bar. Resting his hands lightly against the countertop, he turned to the next in line, and found himself faced with a young woman he hadn't seen before. Outsider, most like - no doubt a Grounder. The seasons had shifted, and the storms were upon them; no getting rid of them now. Korbin suppressed a sigh.

"What can I get you?" he asked, with an easy smile that didn't reach his eyes. As he did so, he slid a menue her way; having her point to the option of choice would be easier than explaining that he was deaf. Though he did have pen and paper nearby just in case, and by now most of the patrons knew he couldn't hear.

Gods knew, he didn't miss the noise of the bar when it was at its busiest. Even curses had their upsides.
Remember when you swore
we had it all?
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
i wanted to be ruined —
— to be loved
She spots him just about the same time that he spots her. Her gaze flickers over him, taking in the towel and the way he seems to move about the bar toward her, a menu slid out toward her that she doesn’t look at immediately — not as his voice rings out and he points toward it. Which, fine, fair enough.

Only then does her bright gaze slip down toward the menu, idly as her free hand reaches up to rub at her neck and the scar there. “This, thanks.” She says, pointing to a particularly fruity yet strong drink, something with a sweetness that would fix her sweet tooth since leaving the Grounds and the bakery behind.

Her gaze flickers up toward him, offering a playful smile in response — not caring whether he was interested or not. And then she picks up the pencil again, scribbling down a few lines of things she wanted to go over while here in Halo. Ursurs and the like.
KIADA
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
KORBIN
Remember when I swore
She was young, and pretty. He wouldn't be a teenage boy if he didn't register that much. But though her smile was no doubt heart-stopping, it failed to tug on his heartstrings, or reach any other part of him. As she pointed at the drink, the raven merely nodded and turned away, his movements efficient if perhaps a bit lackluster as he opened bottle after bottle, measuring a bit of each into one of the fancy glasses Weaver had insisted on purchasing. Keeping fresh fruit in Halo was nearly impossible, so this one was frozen, and still had frost coating it as he plunked it into the alcohol and stirred. For added levels of refreshment, supposedly, though personally he preferred the stuff they'd had before. Drinking was for the purpose of getting drunk, after all, and the Halo vodka sure did get the job done.

Once done, Korbin turned back and set the drink down before the girl - woman, whatever - with that same light smile. "Enjoy," he offered, voice a little hoarse and rusty, like he hadn't used it much lately.

Turning away to attend another customer, Korbin only threw a brief glance on the notebook she had open before her, but didn't linger to peek. Not interested, for one, and not really one to snoop either. Weaver would have, of course. If his sister had manned the bar, she would have been halfway into the girl's lap by now, already acquainted with half her family and about to get in deep with all the secrets of the soul.

That wasn't Korbin's style though, even on a good day.
Remember when you swore
we had it all?
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
i wanted to be ruined —
— to be loved
He takes off to make her drink, and Kiada settles in again, pulling the dark braid from her shoulder to rest along her back, focusing on the book she has out. She scribbles a bit of information that Wessex has given her in the past, scribbling a few more things down as he returns with the drink. His voice is rough and hoarse as he tells her to enjoy, and her gaze flickers up to his face with a small nod, another smile crossing her face. “Thanks again.” She chimes before taking it and sipping lightly from it.

And she finds that it’s really good. She sips from it again before watching him turn away.

So she bides her time, sipping lightly from the drink before she leans along it when he seems unoccupied, trying to get his attention. “Hey, do you have a minute?” She calls out to him, flashing a winning smile his way in the hopes of catching his attention.
KIADA
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Remember when I swore
It was a busy time of day. Customers came and left, placed orders, and it took up most of his time and attention to keep everyone served and content. Much as Korbin disliked the bar in general, the work itself was one he was quite suited for. Demanding, requiring attention to details and a constant presence of mind, one that left no space over for personal problems or brooding. A good and necessary medicine at the moment; it was work he could lose himself in, that left him spent and exhausted at the end of the day. Able to drop off to sleep before thoughts came back to haunt him.

That said, it wasn't as though there were no lulls at all in the flow of people, and before long Korbin was able to breathe, lean back and take a moment. Not that he did; he soon found a cloth and began to wipe down the counter rather than break like he probably should.

The smiling outlander girl managed to catch his attention while he was in the process of doing just that. Figuring she just wanted another drink, Korbin brought his pen and paper - constant companions lately - and put them down in front of her.

"I'm deaf, can't hear you," he told her, the tone of his voice rather flat - not really on purpose, for once. "Waving will get you served quicker." He hovered expectantly, waiting for her to point to the menue again, or scribble down whatever else she might require.
Remember when you swore
we had it all?
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
i wanted to be ruined —
— to be loved
She doesn’t mind waiting, not when there’s a fair amount of people that come and go. Nor does she mind watching him as he works, relatively familiar with everything around the bar. Besides, what else does she have to do? Nothing, aside from either training again or spending the rest of her time in the room she’s been given. Neither of those sound appealing in the slightest, and so she continues to watch him until he looks over and spots her.

Her smile grows when he does and he approaches, her pen tapping along the book when she leans back a small amount to look up at him as he stops before her. And then he tells her he’s deaf, and suddenly some things make sense. She nods instead of responding, reaching out with her own to the paper that he has for himself, writing something quick on it. You’re a Halovian, right? She asks on the paper, but not quite giving in just yet. I want to know more about the fauna here if you have a break coming up? Of course, provided he’s willing.

Her attention flicks up to his face then, flashing another bright smile, an attempt to get him to help her out.
KIADA
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Remember when I swore
Korbin tilted his head to read the note as it was passed back. A dark brow rose - that was definitely not an order for food or drink. He shot her a considering look. Then threw a glance at the door, as someone opened it to step outside. Judging by the fading light, the day would be almost done, and the shift would come to take over soon. Question was, did he want to help this person? Not really. Would he be more annoyed about her potentially blundering into something dangerous because he didn't tell her about the creatures that roamed the wilderness? Quite possibly.

He suppressed a sigh, turned it into a long, steadying breath instead. Part of the job, he told himself. Be civil to the customers.

"Yes," he replied laconically to both questions - he was a local and he did have a break coming up. "What do you want to know?"

Depending on what she wanted, it might be quick enough to answer here and now, and he could go straight home once he was done working. Though really, Korbin had no hopes of that actually being the case.
Remember when you swore
we had it all?
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
i wanted to be ruined —
— to be loved
The smile grows somewhat dazzling as he agrees, though the flicker of feathers sprouting along her neck is a dead giveaway at the surprise that he’s agreed to help her. So she tries her best to keep everything relatively short and sweet, leaning back along the counter a bit to write what she wants to know. I already know about ursurs and frost giants. What can you tell me about dragons? Or… Anything else that are here? She leans back to look up at him, another winning smile crossing her face.

He’s not too sore of a sight to see, not in comparison to the rest of the burly men that surround Halo as she's found out. Perhaps if she doesn’t run her luck out she might find a friend with him too? So far she’s just got Loren and Chulane to bother, but another person to maybe take up some of that certainly didn’t seem like it could hurt. She supposes that time will only tell, and all she can do is try her best not to ward him off as she waits for a response, taking another sip from her drink and preparing herself to write little notes about what he says.

If he says it, of course.
KIADA
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Remember when I swore
Possibly he wasn't immune to the smiles of pretty girls. She kept turning it on him like it was a weapon, and being the not so awkward teenager he was, Korbin inadvertently relaxed, if only a bit. Keen eyes didn't miss the appearance of feathers on the skin of her neck, but he made no mention of his own attunement. Writing the notes was slower, but vastly more preferable to having her in his head.  

Pouring himself a glass of water - he refused to drink while on the clock, in sharp contrast to his sister - and settled in to answer the questions, all while keeping an eye on the room around them. Just in case someone else called for his attention.

"We don't see many dragons," he said after a moment's consideration. "They usually stay in their lairs. From time to time we hear about people running into a White, and usually because someone died after disturbing it. Happened fairly recently, if the rumors are to be believed, but I don't know any details about the incident."

He leaned down to rest his forearms against the counter, folding the cloth between his hands as he spoke.

"Wolves are always around. And the exiles in Whitebrim are nasty enough to be considered beasts, so... better avoid them. Then there are elementals - never saw one myself - and Eirachi, of course."

Giving her a sly sidelong look, he added, "Better watch out for the Ningos, though. Vicious beasts... they'll be the end of you if you get too close."
Remember when you swore
we had it all?
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
i wanted to be ruined —
— to be loved
He settles in to explain, and she grows positively pleased with the results of this, nodding along as he starts. She scribbles ‘uncommon’ beneath the line for dragon, a section for Whites and possibly more though she doesn’t ask for it. Not yet, anyway, before her gaze flickers up to linger along the panes of his face once more. He speaks well for being deaf, and she wonders if he’s always been this way or if it had slowly occurred.

Again, a question for another day.

But she watches when he leans down a bit closer to her, and she sips from the glass again as she listens — patiently absorbing what he says before she goes to write it down. Her gaze flicks back up when he mentions ningos and spots the sly look, her smile shifting to something feline and amused, a chime of laughter leaving her lips though he couldn’t hear it. She leans toward him again, pen in hand, and scribbles onto the sheet. Liar. Those fat pale birds could hardly fly let alone take someone out.

Maybe if it fell from the top of the citadel directly onto someone. But… Either way, she’s infinitely amused, the feeling bouncing around the attuned bond around her without realizing it.
KIADA
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Remember when I swore
His gaze flitted down to the paper as she wrote a single word. Korbin assumed a look of mock outrage.

"I do not lie!" he assured her, long habit of storytelling and oft-delivered fibs bringing some melody to his voice, though it was rusty and imprecise. "They will stalk you for hours, miss. Trail your every step, until you get so used to their presence that they manage to slip underfoot. Before you know it, you'll trip and fall. Knock you out cold, and that's death in this climate." There was a certain gravity to the last bit that somehow made the whole thing sound rather credible.

"They bite too," he added, with a very serious expression. "Gang up on you, and nip at your heels until the boots are pecked clean through. Every once in a while, there's a culling of the beasts, just to ensure they don't get so plentiful that they can overrun us all. The Palace is especially full of them, or so I hear."

A light of dark amusement came to light in his gaze at the mention of the Palace ningos; a private joke he still found rather amusing.
Remember when you swore
we had it all?
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
i wanted to be ruined —
— to be loved
The outrage from him is huge, and she snickers to it, grin widening and amusement lingering in her gaze as she watches him explain, some sort of lilting tone to his voice that’s both sweet and melodic in a way that seemed to show that he had practiced with it once upon a time. Maybe not now, but once. And she can’t help but give him her full attention while he goes to inform her how exactly a Ningo was a predator, though she can’t help the curl of her lips from shifting to something a bit more akin to a smirk.

Her eyebrows raise in her own mock surprise, mouthing a ‘really?’ though she doesn’t believe a word of it.

Then he tells her that they bite, and she snorts to his serious expression. And when he’s done, she can’t help the light laughter that leaves her lips, focusing on the paper once more and scribbling something else out. Death by Ningo has a pretty shit sound to it. Palace ningos or not. She writes, tapping the period at the end as her gaze lifts to his with a wink.
KIADA
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Remember when I swore
She laughed. He couldn't hear it, but the sight of that bright smile and crinkled eyes touched something within him. Something he'd thought lost, irretrievable now that his hearing was gone. It both hurt and helped to realize that he was still capable of luring someone to enjoy themselves, even by accident. His responding smile was a little hesitant, a touch wistful - as if that too was something he hadn't used in a while.

"Quite," he nodded sagely. "I'd sooner bother a White one than enrage the ningos. 'Death by dragon' would at least make for a good song."

Reaching for the glass, he sipped his water. Taking the chance to study the girl surreptitiously, Korbin tilted his head in a birdlike manner. "How come you know about frost giants, miss...?" He trailed off, hoping for a name.
Remember when you swore
we had it all?