Personal Quest Something to believe Inn
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
SAMUEL
i am the ocean, crawling madly at your moon.
and with one wanton whoop —
Remi had suggested the inn for a sanctuary and Sam had had to argue a little with the owner before he'd agree to it. Only when Sam promised they would not disrupt his business did he agree and even then, they had to stay in the back room. Determined to make the best of the situation, he had spent a couple of days gathering all the supplies and sundries he could to make it comfy for the Grounders that would be coming.

He had put up a notice and asked the inn keeper to ask people to come and help once he had all the things. Waiting to see if anyone would turn up he stood in the doorway to the backroom of the inn, behind him a cold room of concrete filled with barrels and boxes: it would, he hoped, be transformed into somewhere nice to stay when time was through.

---
Open PQ to prepare the space for Hollowed Grounders in the Inn in Haulani. There are 3 spaces : ) Please write your character arriving to the inn!

1. Zephyr (Reserved)
2. Oliver (Reserved)
3. Kellan
— i melt into a sycophantic soup,
& all that's left to do, is giggle, fawn, and swoon.
Hunter

Age: 31 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
He couldn't hide in the jungle forever.

Oh, he could try, but it wasn't making things better. Wasn't moving his life forward at all. Finding people in Kaiholo who wouldn't take advantage of his Outlander ways was difficult and often dangerous, but it beat braving the portal.

At least he had been safe in the inn where he had sheltered from the post-eruption ashfall while the city was cleaned up and the Leafchange rains washed the jungle green again, and he had returned their occasionally to trade his prey for a tab of food and drink. It was from the inn owner that he'd heard about a cousin seeking rough labor for a day at an inn in another part of town, and Kel had made his cautious way there, poking his head in the door and being directed towards the back. The young hunter moved like a wary, wild animal, amber eyes flicking from side to side as if expecting a trap, but when nothing sprung he met the redhead's eyes squarely and gave him a cautious nod. "I'm... I'm here to help with the work. I'm Kellan."
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
OLIVER
With the arrival of Deepfrost, Oliver had turned into a busy bee. When he wasn't in his shop, he was either gathering resources or trying to help out as much as physically possible. It was on an instance of searching for resources that he saw the Notice Board post. Seeing as he was basically forcing Aisha to stay in Torchline during LongNight, it only seemed fair that he dedicate his time to helping out with preparing for those Outlanders to stay.

It isn't a dramatic story nor really a fun one, but it's how Oliver ended up in the Inn. Nodding to Sam, Oliver offered him a smile. "I hope I'll be able to help out as much as possible." He thought of it as maybe repaying Samuel for his hard work with the Blacksmith shop. Yeah.

His eyes shifted towards the unfamiliar person. A raise of his eyebrow was offered to the other individual. One who was very skittish, in Oliver's eyes. How peculiar. He'd wait a bit to introduce himself, seeing as more were most likely to arrive.
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
TO BE MORE THAN TREMBLING
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
zephyr

You tell yourself you're here to help because the sooner this gets done the sooner Red leaves your house, but truth be told you're a little bit find of your new house guest. You hadn't realized how damn lonely the place was with just you and Ki. Maybe when he leaves you'll get a tenant or something.

Which, presumably, will be sooner than later, but you don't need to dwell on that right now. You're also here as something of a Torchline liason, making sure to settle feathers and grease palms as needed so this stuff gets done. Oh, sure, your dearly beloved governor sanctioned this invasion, but it doesn't mean the people here are going to be happy about it, or avoid taking advantage.

It's a cool enough day that you've put on a shirt, though that may not last for long. Your bag is slung across your back, and the sweet smell of citrus wafts from a tangerine you alternatively snack on and feed to Ki. Leaning on the doorframe, you look over the motley crew with an eyebrow raises, recognising Kellan and not the other, and waiting for Red to take the lead.
burn all the things you have to burn
save all the people you're supposed to save
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
SAMUEL
The first one to arrive was not someone that Sam recognised: a man that looked almost...wild, a little nervous. Trying his best not to judge on appearances (after all, he hardly exuded confidence himself) he smiled and nodded at Kellan. "I'm Samuel. Thank you for coming - we'll start when someone else arrives."

Thankfully others did. Oliver and Zephyr, both people Sam knew, though the latter brought a smile to his face that he couldn't quite conceal: sleepovers, helping him with his work...Zeph was becoming a friend, something he sorely needed in Torchline. It was nice to meet someone entirely new, who didn't know a thing of his old life.

All that aside though, there was a job to do. Stepping into the room and motioning for everyone to follow him, Sam would lead them into a dusty and dark storeroom, boxes haphazardly placed about and precarious bottles on various surfaces. Windows on the far wall let in a minimal bit of light, but would need to be cleaned for any actual visibility. "..So..it looks rather awful at the moment, but I'm hoping with the supplies I brought we can make it more pleasant.First, we'll need to move the boxes. I was hoping we could stack them up against that wall, though we'll need to be creative with getting them up high..." Sam gestured to the back wall.

---
Step 1: get the various crates and boxes stacked up high! Think of a creative way to do it if you can! (or just carry them, if thats like, your thing, I guess).

Please try to reply within 2 days!

No order~
Hunter

Age: 31 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Kel nodded cautiously at Sam's welcome, taking a little comfort in not being the only one to show up. The silence might have grown awkward, but soon two others arrived. The petite, stylish blond was unfamiliar and didn't introduce himself, but he gave a nod of recognition to Zephyr not yet sure how their brief history together would play out.

Luckily Samuel asked for a fairly simple lift-and-carry task, something even Kel thought he could handle. "I can clean them off," he offered quietly. The bottles scattered about and on top of the boxes they'd need to move would make things hazardous if they were knocked over and broke. Casting about, the young hunter found a broken box to use and began gathering up the bottles and clearing the way so the others could move the boxes into the indicated place.

Kel doesn't have any good ideas for stacking, so instead he starts cleaning the bottles off the boxes and floor so Oliver and Zeph can move them more safely.
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
OLIVER
Offering a nod to both men, Oliver spoke up. "I'm Oliver, I'm normally in the Hollowed Ground but I'm trying to help prepare for LongNight as much as I can." It was a greeting to the two, hoping it'd be enough for the time being. He had learned that not many people were as friendly as he, but it was still nice to give them a name, seeing as they'd be working together for the next hour or however long it took to complete everything.

Turning to face Samuel, it was interesting to see the man be in charge for once, as the last time he was the one directing the redhead. First task didn't sound too hard. With a nod, Oliver swiftly went to work. First, he started to work on the boxes that didn't have any bottles on them, carefully picking them up and moving to place them over against the wall. Then, based on wherever the other unnamed man went, Oliver would move to the other side of the room and continue his work, picking up boxes and if he had to, moving bottles onto the ground for Kellen to pick up.

If all went well, he'd hopefully be able to make some stacks against the wall.

Oliver begins work by first picking up boxes without bottles on top and placing them against the wall before working on the others. He'd try to work on the opposite side of the room as Zeph to not cause any traffic.
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
zephyr

Stacking boxes. This is... a surprisingly simple task, and you raise an eyebrow at Sam, pursing your lips as though to say Really? That's it? Why the redhead needed any help with this is beyond you, but hey, you're here so you might as well put out, as it were.

Stripping off your shirt (toldja it wouldn't last long), you throw it into a corner and set about your work. The brace on your arm hides most of the scar, which twinges in pain as you lift the first box that Kel has cleared away.

It's solid labor, enjoyable enough, and as you work you find yourself whistling a sea shanty, sweat beading on your brow and shoulders as you lift the crates with ease.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Sam went to take stock of everything they had as everyone else went to stack the boxes. He caught Zephyr's eye when he gave his look and said out into the room in response: "Of course, there's going to be more after this." His tired tone and stare didn't last long though: the moment the man stripped his shirt off Sam's eyes snapped back to the inventory list he had made, chewing at his lip and trying to concentrate. It wouldn't do to stare (not that he was going to stare, of course. He had no reason to stare).

When he turned back around the boxes were all well stacked, each method chosen by his helpers working and getting them out of the way. Sam smiled and waited for everyone to come back around so he could give the next tasks.

"Thank you. Now that the space is empty, there's a few things we need to get done. I don't mind who does what...I will be cleaning, and there's enough of that to keep me busy all day I'm afraid." He sighed looking up at the cobwebs in the windows, the dust gathered in the corners. "Other than that, the bedrolls need to be laid out over the floor and the food rations split up into meals for each family for each day. Then..someone creative hopefully could help with some decorating. There's a box with wall hangings, a few ornaments...I thought it might be nicer for everyone if we could bring a bit of home with us: there's curtains too, to make it feel more homey." Odd priorities for setting up a refugee centre perhaps, but Sam had always valued comfort.

--
Things to do:
1. Lay out bedrolls and divide them into room spaces: get a little creative with how you divide the space: use boxes, cloths?
2. Split up the food rations: There are dry food packs, bread, boxes of vegetables. If anyone has any way to keep them cold, that would be amazing :)
3. Decorate the space! Have fun with this one!

No Order!
Hunter

Change author:
They were a quiet bunch as they worked; Kel naturally reticent around strangers, and even more so after his early experiences on Caido, fell easily into silence. Oliver's name and where he was from earned a brief, startled look. He'd only heard that the innkeeper was looking for muscle to make room for refugees, not where those refugees were from, and the information sat uneasily in the pit of his stomach. He was so distracted by that he didn't think to ask about 'LongNight', focusing instead on his task until the bottles were cleared away and the boxes stacked.

He frowned a little as Samuel took the simplest task for himself, but such was the way of overseers across all worlds, it seemed. "I'll split the food rations." It was a quiet claim, but he was no interior decorator, and had no idea how to arrange such a small, enclosed space for multiple families. Even the thought of being packed into the back of the inn for more than an evening triggered a flicker of claustrophobic nausea that he fought down as he moved over to the food boxes.

"How... how big are the families?" he asked uncertainly as he looked down at the supplies, knowing how he would split them for individuals, but for families? "And how many are there going to be? How many adults and how many children?" He knew several ways to keep things cool, but all of them required space or items which they didn't seem to have on hand: running water, a well, a root cellar... nothing that could simply be conjured from thin air to last a whole season in Torchline's warmth.

He started to divide up the bread and roots for single adults until he learned more.

Kel heads over to the food supplies, but isn't sure how to divide them up without more information so starts making food packs for individual adults for the moment.
Blacksmith

Change author:
OLIVER
There is a bit of sass here and there, but Oliver chooses to mostly tune it out. Instead, he simply focuses on getting his tasks done. Soon, with the combined efforts of all those present, the boxes are swiftly moved to the side, freeing up the floor for plenty of... whatever it is that Samuel has planned next. Honestly, he doesn't mind the simple tasks. Any progress is good progress when it comes to LongNight.

The new tasks are once more simple enough. Seeing as he's in the Artist's guild, might as well volunteer to decorate. "I'll decorate." It really is too bad that he didn't have any paint or anything because man would Oliver go wild! But... maybe that's a bit too much decorating for Samuel's liking.

Walking on over to the decorations box, Oliver begins work. Using some nails (either provided or that he brought with him) he started to work on getting some of the decorations placed up, unless there were prior nails in place. Either way, he sets to putting up whatever was provided. Things were spaced out, hoping to cover the walls enough so it was colorful, but also that it didn't feel too crammed. Whenever it was too high, he would use his telekinesis to help lift them up,  placing them high up so that even the upper parts of the wall had a dash of fun.

Oliver does decorations
I JUST WANT MY EXISTENCE
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
zephyr

Ok, so. That leaves beds.

Sam should know perfectly well how incredibly inadequate you are at interior decorating, but here you go, delineating spaces for people to sleep. You pick up two of the bedrolls easily, deciding to start in a corner of the room and... you dunno, set them down? Put up some dividers?

Yeah. That seems okay.

You mentally divide the space up so there's about five good paces between each "room". It's not a lot, but hey, space is space. Should be enough to let two bedrolls fill each space comfortably, plus some room for storage. After that you set down a piece of tape, marking where each cubicle ends and the next begins for someone (probably you) to set up proper dividers at some point.

Zeph makes 5 x 5 pace squares and puts two bedrolls in each
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Sam got own with his own work cleaning as everyone else set to their tasks, beginning with sweeping out the corners of the room: cobwebs along the ceiling and dust in the floor. While he'd not ruin the Innkeeper's business, he felt a little sickened to think of all the food and drink kept back here...though perhaps he had a higher standard for that sort of thing with not having to have been involved in anything too physical for a long time. Kellan 's questions were answered over his shoulder: "There's an average of four to a family, two parents and two children. Just split them up into fours for the moment...we can do more when we know exactly who's here. It's more about having things in packs so we can quickly hand them out."

When he turned around from his work he saw that everyone had done as asked and he smiled, looking over the space: it was beginning to look like somewhere decent to stay and less like a dirty back room. "Thank you everyone. There's not too much left to do...I'll be cleaning well into the evening, but I don't mind doing that myself." It could be quite meditative and he could do with the time alone.

"So the last thing to do really is to make up some signs I can put outside to point the way here." Sam pointed to a few boards leaned up against the wall, each with arrows already painted on. "I worked out what direction they all need to point in..so I just need you all to make them look eye catching and maybe put some kind of phrase on it? 'Shelter this way'...or something. I'll leave that up to you. There's some paints and charcoals there."

--
Design a sign to point the way to the shelter!
Hunter

Change author:
With more information shared, Kel was able to adjust his packets accordingly until all of the available food had been distributed into packs of four, finishing up just as the others completed their tasks. It was far from lavish, but at least it was shelter, something the accidental traveler could appreciate after his own recent experiences.

He listened to Sam's instructions, nodding cautious understanding at what he intended, and visibly perking up at the sight of the charcoals and paints. Collecting one of the boards, he moved off to the side by himself and looked down at it in almost meditative contemplation, letting his mind wander down lines and curves and colors.

After several minutes of stillness he moved decisively, fingers sketching with a rusty hesitance that smoothed out the longer he worked. Hollowed Grounds Home-Away-From-Home, he wrote, a sad and slightly bitter twist to his lips as he proceeded to pain in the sketched lines with a bright, eye-catching red.