[SE] Writing the day away
open
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 14 - Int:
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Whimzi Offline
Change author:
MP: 35
I have never been much of a writer, at least not creatively. My exploits include writing homework - a lot of homework - scientific papers, research papers, essays, literature reviews; always writing with a purpose, an explanation, an aim, to clarify, to explain. They told a story, of sorts, but it was story of logic and science, of facts - there was no space for fiction, for imagination, for fantasy.

Writing about what I had learned since arriving here felt like I was writing a fantasy story, though it was simply an honest retelling of events. As I continued to write, it became more of a comparative analysis between what similarities and differences I had encountered, as well as some deeper analyses on the local fauna. I paid particular attention to Ningos at this stage, purely because they were what I had encountered most so far.

I also wrote about my attuned shift, and made reference to the writings I had borrowed from the Loreseeker's Guild, about how intensely difficult it had been for me to accept the instincts my shifted form brought, to close the gap between my mind of science and logic and the natural, wild nature of my shift, to unlock its full potential.

And then I write about what knowledge of animals and medicine and farming that I have from my homeworld, noting down everything no matter its potential irrelevance to application in this world, knowing that Jigano was particularly interested in this knowledge, and only fully willing to help, to share and teach so that others may thrive and grow with the words.

Piles and piles of papers stacked all around me, an inkwell and a small pile of quills not far either, I sit at a quiet tavern on a frosty morning, writing my day away.
Chulane
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 0 - Strg: 9 - Dext: 8 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
i've become a master at breaking my own heart with simple thoughts,
He didn’t usually get out much, but when he did there was something to be said about the places he went. Usually, it was all for errands, for places that he was expected to be. But for today? He’d finished his chores early, and now it was lunch time before he had to fully commit to running his errands. So he goes to the usual place, this little tavern – still not quite braving the idea of the Kraai despite both people who ran it had been quite comfortable around him – at least the people in this particular one didn’t seem to mind him all that much.

So he arrives, the little bag with him that holds the things he’s to give away, finding an empty seat beside someone that seems vaguely familiar though he can’t really place it well – the fact Glas struggled to look at anyone’s face was a hindrance in this scenario – so he tries to keep his things to himself. He asks for water and the usual thing he gets for lunch, before settling in and taking a peek at the writing the other man is doing.

It doesn’t really make sense, but he gnaws on his lip regardless, unsure how to even start the conversation or whether he wants to have a conversation or not. So he sits, idly, in silence, watching the shelves of bottles and food move around the back, biting his tongue and biding his time.
dreams and hopes that are impossible to achieve
GLAS
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
It takes a bit of time for me to realise another has joined me, so absorbed in my task that I am. The owner of this tavern know my habits well, they keep me supplied with beverages and meals that I idly pick at as I flick through pages, making corrections here and there, writing more lines on some pages, adding some sketches on others.

It's only when my elbow accidentally touches the young man who is sitting beside that I realise I have company. "Oh!" I comment apologetically, "sorry mate, didn't see you there." I offer a friendly smile as I look him over, recognising him from the work we completed together on the healer's college.

"It's Glas, right?" I clarify, proffering my own name in case the lad doesn't recognise me. "I'm Chuy - we worked on Loren's school together." It is then that I realise just how much space my little venture here has taken up, and I begin pulling papers and quills in to a slightly closer radius. As I reach for the paper that was before Glas, I continue the conversation, noticing that he was reading the notes.

"Old habits die hard," I comment wryly, "I can't help but write everything down. Thought I may as well make a copy for myself and for the Loreseeker's Guild, over in the Hallowed Grounds. Do you do much writing?"
Chulane
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Age: 26 | Height: 5'8 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
He’s minding his own business until the elbow appears and brushes by him, Glas doing his best to ignore it and pull his bag more into his lap. But of course, the other man notices, causing Glas to swallow a bit hard as soon as his drink arrives. There’s a quiet glance given toward the taller man with the books, until it finally registers thanks to Chuy’s help where the young crafter had seen him.

He bobs his head, nodding to the comment from the other man, reaching for his own glass to try and drink a bit to distract him from having so much attention on him. “Yeah.” He manages, keeping the glass within his fingers as he glances toward Chuy again. “O-oh, right.” He stumbles over his words, lips pursing briefly with the frustration of that slip up.

So he focuses on the paper that slides before him while Chuy cleans up the mess he’s made before him, looking at the notes and what not before he glances back at Chuy, briefly, before his gaze drops again and he wants to change the subject. “Some.” Not a lot, really. “I-I’m a crafter. I make… things.” He offers instead, far more dexterous with his hands in building and crafting than he was with writing out page after page.
GLAS
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
He was a nervous lad, quiet and soft spoken. I felt guilty for intruding upon his space in my focus on the task at hand - but what was done was done, and he seemed willing enough to engage in conversation with me.

"Oh, cool," I nod as he explains his profession, recalling his aid with building the healer's college and his proficiency with most tasks he was given. As I continued to gather up pages, I had an idea. "You wouldn't have a need for some luxere skins, would you? It's been cured and tanned already." Though I love luxere and haven't eaten their meat often, they were a key to the survival of the people in these harsh conditions. Which meant, they were slaughtered, and I knew how to slaughter animals humanely, though it pained me every time. For those who managed to keep luxere on their property alive until they needed the meat, I offered my services, and in exchange, I received the soft luxere pelt, which could be fashioned into leather, among other things.

"I ask because I have an idea for a gift for someone, but no clue how I would make it. Maybe you could help?" I pause my paper-gathering to offer him a polite, enquiring smile, hoping I don't cause him too much discomfort with my pursuit of further conversation.
Chulane
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Change author:
Honestly, Glas wishes he was better at talking with people. If he were better at it, it wouldn’t be such an awkward, strenuous task, but it is. And he can’t keep it swallowed down enough to act normal for once, so he keeps to himself and listens as Chulane begins to ask if he has an use for luxere skins. And this is certainly something that has him lending a bit more of an ear toward him, head tilting slightly and blonde hair falling across his brow as he considers it. “W-We might.” He answers honestly, gnawing on his lower lip briefly, wondering what was in it for him.

The idea of a gift has him pursing his lips briefly, before pulling out the little journal he keeps within the bag for ideas or tasks that people ask of him while he’s out and about – as well as the little sketches of inspiration that sit within the pages of it. “Sure… What is it…?” He asks, turning his head toward Chulane and spying the polite smile – surprised at how nice the other man is being after the one in the lumberjack shop had laughed at him. He swallows hard. “What do you want to make, I mean…” He adds on in case he wasn’t clear enough, fishing in his bag for the charcoal and trying to think of what it might be that the other man needs help with.
GLAS
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
The teenager stumbled over his words, but I understood them well enough - I was pleased that I had sparked his interest, that he was willing to engage in the conversation with me, despite it being such a challenge for him. I didn't judge - how could I? Everyone was fighting their own internal battles, some were just better at doing in what the majority might call "socially acceptable" than others.

"The recipient is a musician, and my idea was to make him another instrument. A drum of sorts, small and easy to carry, but also useful - double-sided, and sturdy enough to use as a seat if needed." I do my best to explain, shuffling some more pages out of the way before revealing a very, very rough sketch of what I had in mind. "There'd be ten luxere skins in it for you. And I'd be happy to source any other materials you might need too." I finish with a slanted smile, hope in my eyes as I glance from his notepad to his face, wondering if I would see his talented fingers work their magic and produce a far more refined sketch of the gift I envisioned.

--

The drum Chuy would like:
https://previews.123rf.com/images/phanas...kgroun.jpg
Chulane
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Change author:
He finds that he’s possibly making so many instruments lately – but the idea of it being for trade and actual work makes it easier for him to swallow, makes it easier for him to prove that there’s a market for it to his parents who would otherwise scoff and pretend that it didn’t matter when he could be focusing on making yet another table or chair or dishes. He sighs internally, thinking on those conversations, before the realization that it could be sturdy enough to be a chair of sorts.

Perhaps that’s all the difference.

So he nods to that, the agreement. They could always use luxere skins for something out here, especially now that Deepfrost is here. And when he glances back to Chulane, he’s still somewhat chewing on the inside of his cheek as he considers the man beside him – wondering and slightly surprised that so many strangers have been nice to him in comparison to how it usually went – before he bobs his head again. “I-I can do that…” He begins, shifting the bag a bit in his lap again. “I d-don’t have a time frame… yet… B-But I could let you know…” Somehow, seems to go unsaid, verdant gaze flicking up to spot Chulane and see how the other man might take that sort of response.
GLAS
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
I wasn't a musician man myself. But I appreciated the art, often finding music helped my brain tick over its many thoughts. I was too analytically minded to be able to craft music myself, but I had known musician friends on Earth, and assumed they were much the same here - they lived and breathed their craft, they relished in the chance to share their creations.

At Glas' nod I beam broadly, pleased to have struck a deal with the boy - the way of trading goods here was different to Earth, where "money" had been invented and taken the place of trading, and I was also pleased with myself for adapting to this new way of thinking and living.

"Great," I said warmly in response, nodding as he began talking about timeframes, before seemingly silently posing a question as to how he would get in touch with me when it was complete. "No worries. I'm staying at Lenny's lodge, if I'm not there you can leave it with him." Hopefully he knew who Lenny was - the landlord was pretty well known in the small township.

"If you need something to do for the afternoon, I could use a hand copying some notes?" I ask, holding up a pile of pages that were ready to be duplicated, wondering if the boy was at all interested in spending his afternoon getting inked-stained fingers and otherwise sitting in an easy, comfortable silence with me.
Chulane
Glas Westfall
Crafter

Change author:
There’s a nod as Chulane agrees. And it’s easier that way – half expecting the transaction to be more difficult than this – but it wasn’t. Of course, his parents might berate him when he returns, almost as if he needed to prove that this Outlander had the items required before Glas agreed to it. But the boy didn’t seem to care very much in the moment – he just wanted to be, and enjoy the crafting he had where he could.

The mention of Lenny, however, Glas nods a bit more enthusiastically from that. He knows Lenny, and in fact – the errand he needed to run today was for Lenny. So he shifts the bag a small amount in his lap again, side eyeing the man briefly as the option is laid out. “I-I was going to d-d-drop this off… With Lenny…” He begins, taking a deep inhale of breath before trying again.

You… C-could take this to Lenny… And I could.. Help you?” He offers, shifting the bag once more on his lap toward Chulane before gesturing with a nod to his head to the papers to copy down. He wasn’t a particularly good writer, but it was legible chicken scratch at the very least. And it didn’t’ seem like it would be too hard – plus a steady stream of water and food never hurt.
GLAS
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
Watching the boy light up with understanding at the familiar name warmed my heart - it was nice to be witness to him gain a little confidence, and express a little happiness and excitement at the fact. I was glad to know the boy, he was intelligent and talented, if only his nerves would get out of his own way and let the rest of the world see it. In saying that, there was nothing wrong with him the way he was - I just could only imagine how torturous it must be to be caged in by such anxiety all the time.

"Deal," I say warmly, reaching over to take his bag and put it by my side. I then set him up with blank pages, an inkwell and a quilled pen of his own to use. Hopefully he found 'theories on priority first aid' interesting to copy - at least I had given him the human edition. The animal/veterinary edition was what I was working on - a significantly larger pile, due to the complexities and differences between each animal's anatomy and physiology.

I hoped Jigano would find it useful, though it wouldn't be until Flowerbirth that I managed to get it to him. Still, it gave me something to do, and I was even able to recruit a helper. Overall, it was a satisfying afternoon, spent in companionable silence, with both of us focussed on our assigned tasks, and getting a great amount completed.

--
Fin!
c h u l a n e