[se] through his stomach
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
saiden
Saiden stood over a large pot of rice, pouring vinegar over it. Surprisingly, his brow was furrowed with concentration, and he was practically deaf and blind to the world, even to the customers outside. Once he determined he'd added enough of the liquid, he mixed it in to the rice with a practiced motion.

Then he wrapped his hands in cloths and brought the pot over to his current workstation. There were sheets of seaweed laid out, along with chunks of raw fish. Most excitingly, to him at least, there was some avocado, which he'd acquired through perfectly legitimate methods (read: smuggling connections). Setting the pot down, he surveyed his little domain for a moment.

Seren
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Seren
I'm ready to start the conquest of spaces
Reaching the starlight and silver fields
A small shadow swished past the entrance. A very stealthy, very quiet little figure slipped into the store, and crept up on the man. With a brazen confidence that spoke of familiarity and utter lack of fear, it rounded the separation between customers and chef, between eating and working, between destruction and creation, and eased towards Saiden.

Barely even breathing, it waited for him to set down the pot and discard any possible sharp objects; then it struck. Seren let loose a pulse of gravity on herself that made her light as a feather, and after bracing a foot against a nearby surface she launched herself on her uncle with a tittering laugh, meaning to catch him around the neck in a fierce hug - moving through the air like it was water, like she weighed nothing, like he had no way of fending off this surprise attack.

"Boo!" she laughed, intending to surprise him. And perhaps he would be, in more than one way. The girl was still small, but not as much as she had been. Since they met last, she seemed to have aged four years at least; it was a nine-year old with raven curls and freckled nose that faced him now, and a good bit taller she was, too.
Come with the night the science of fighting
The forces of gravity
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Age: 33 | Height: 6' 2'' | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
saiden
Surprise him she did. As Seren's arms wrapped around his shoulders and her voice rang in his ears, Saiden instinctively reached up to try and toss the person off his back. In addition, his magic spiked and water rose from a bucket. When he realized who it was, though, he much more gently dislodged her and set her on the ground, letting go of his magic as he did. The water fell down with a splash.

"Don't sneak up on me like that." Although he was serious about that, he couldn't help but grin at her. "Look how big you are." He knelt down so he could give her a closer inspection.

However, his eyes soon narrowed slightly. "What're you doing here? And where are your babysitters?" He glanced around for her usual shadows.
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Seren
Silvery laughter sprung from the girl at his surprise. Seren let her magic fade as her bare feet touched the ground, and she grinned mischievously at her uncle, very smug that she managed to startle him. Her sneaking game was really improving lately; all thanks to Sunjata's subtle hints and suggestions whenever Father wasn't looking.

"Hi, Uncle!" she replied sweetly. "I grew. It hurt a lot, but it is better now." As he knelt down, she stole a proper hug in greeting, then made a twirl so he could get a proper look at her shiny new bigger self.

"Daddy is boxing. I was done with my practice so I said I would come here." Her dark curls were damp with sweat at the temples, and the small hands were still wrapped with cloth, suggesting she had been trying her luck with the sand-bags at the boxing ring herself. Only the basics yet, standing and making the right fists and so on, but it was fun, and let her get rid of a lot of excess energy.

Sneaking a peek up at the counter and the items he had laid out, Seren tilted her head curiously. "What are you making?"
The forces of gravity
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
Hugging Seren back happily, Saiden grinned. As she spoke, he gave her a full inspection. "That you did. Sorry it hurt though." Apparently, demi-god growing pains were a bit more literal than most.

Nodding at her explanation, he straightened up. "Well then let me officially welcome you to the Hali and Hearty. Can I get you a snack? You must be hungry." His eyes flicked to her hair, then to her wrapped hands, before finally meeting her gaze.

Pulling over a stool for her so she could get a better look, he gestured at the ingredients he'd prepared. "I'm making sushi. Do you know what sushi is?" There was a slightly cautious tone to his voice.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
It had been very intense. Ravenous hunger followed by high fever and a sudden onrush of growth, that no doubt would leave both father and Remi with nightmares for a good while. Seren certainly had them, and she wasn't quite as excited about the idea of growing up as she had been. Not if it would be as intense next time.

"Thank you! It's really nice," she smiled, quite happy to leave the subject of her growth spurt behind. Looking around at the shopshe took in the worskpace and the seats, the interesting smells and how at home Saiden looked there. "Yes please, if it's okay."

Scrambling up on the chair - made easier by longer legs, but she really wasn't that much taller yet - the girl began to try and untie the wrappings from her hands, struggling with the knot as she could only use one hand. She looked over the ingredients he had set out when the question came, but shook her head.

"A snack?" she suggested; it looked too small to be a dinner meal.
The forces of gravity
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
Preening a bit at Seren's compliment, Saiden grinned. "Thank you." The pride in his voice was evident.

As she requested a snack, he nodded. "What would you like?" He pointed at the pantry, which was half hidden in the corner. "We're fully stocked, so I can make you anything." And he really did mean anything.

Smiling at her response, it was his turn to shake his head. "It can be, but most consider it a full meal. It depends how many of the rolls you eat." With that, he scooped some rice out of the pot.

Laying it on a square of seaweed, he spread it out evenly. Putting a strip of raw fish and some avocado in the middle, he rolled the square up. Once he had a cylinder, he started slicing it evenly.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Well now. Letting a hungry little girl request anything from a fully stocked larder was asking for trouble. It was perhaps a good thing that Seren was easily distracted, her attention drawn to the food right in front of her eyes rather than whatever treasures he might have hidden away in the pantry.

With interest she watched him portion out the rice and add ingredients, only to roll it all up. When it was all put together, it looked both pretty and tasty at the same time, and it smelled very nice.

"Can I try that?" she asked, eying the ends of the roll with particular interest. They were a bit messier than the rest, but looked all the more munchable for it.
The forces of gravity
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
As Seren requested a piece of the sushi, Saiden raised his eyebrows. Still, he couldn't help but grin at her. "Of course." He picked up the end of the roll.

However, he didn't hand it to her just yet. Instead, he held it just in front of her. "I'm going to tell you something very important." The words came out in a conspiratorial whisper. "Sushi usually comes with all sorts of sauces and toppings. However, you always want to have the first piece plain, so you can tell if the chef is any good or not." That bit of wisdom imparted, he got a small container and poured some soy sauce in it, then placed some ginger and wasabi in another.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
The snack in front of ones eyes was obviously better than the one that had yet to be made, and Seren was nothing if not a gluttonous little girl. Everything had to be tried, at least once, and she usually wasn't picky with her food.

Giggling at the conspiratorial tone, she accepted the piece he offered her, and obediently took a bite out of it - the piece was slightly too big for her to swallow whole. Her face became a study in conflicting emotions. First there was delight, soon followed by scepticism. It shifted towards regret, but soon went back towards something like enjoyment again.

Seren swallowed hard, and looked long at the remainder of the sushi. Thinking it over for a moment, she made herself eat that bit too, and again the shift in attitude started up, ending on that same almost-happy-but-not-convinced note.

"It is a very grown up taste," she offered hesitantly, feeling that she had to say something nice about it.
The forces of gravity
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
Watching the expression change on Seren's face, and watching her do her best to hide her distaste, was enough to cause Saiden to bark out a laugh. It really was comical. "You can dislike it, really. I won't mind. It's definitely an acquired taste." He winked playfully at her.

Heading towards the pantry, he fished inside and pulled out an apple and some nuts instead. Holding those out towards her, he nevertheless arched an eyebrow at her. "It wasn't that bad, was it?" He glanced at the sushi, looking oddly vulnerable.

Then his expression grew sly. "Speaking of grown-ups, do you think your dads would like it?" He spoke in that same conspiratorial whisper.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Seren did accept the apple and nuts he offered, but only set them aside on the table. Her vivid blue eyes were still fixed on the sushi, like it was a puzzle she couldn't quite piece together, or a riddle she had yet to solve.

"I do not hate it," she said absently, "and it is not really bad. It is really strange. Like I want more and not at the same time." Reaching out for the other end piece, the girl looked at the food more properly, as if seeing what the ingredients were would explain the odd flavor better. She eyed the sauces with some interest and made to dunk the roll in one of them, curious to see if it would make a difference.

"Hm? Yes, I think they would. They eat anything," she replied. Looking up at Saiden, she was struck by an idea. "Could you make a secret dinner for them? Or help me make one?" she asked. It seemed fun, to surprise them with something to make them both happy.
The forces of gravity
Saiden Hali
Smuggler / Cook

Change author:
saiden
As Seren set aside the fruit and nuts, Saiden glanced at it. Then his brow furrowed as she explained her feelings about the sushi, which was decidedly mixed. As she dunked it in the sauce, he reached out to pluck his own piece of sushi up.

Dipping it in the soy sauce, he sprinkled ginger and the teensiest amount of wasabi on it. Then he held it out for her. "Try this one too. Careful, it might be a bit bitter." There was an almost comical look of concentration on his face.

At her words, though, he grinned. "I absolutely can do that. It'll be our little secret." Winking, he started rolling more sushi, different types this time, the motions practiced and quick.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
The sauce was an improvement. Seren tried first her own piece, and then the one Saiden gave her, and each time the girl's expression brightened a little bit more. It definitely was a taste to grow used to, but she thought she might grow to like it. Eventually.

The last piece left a burning aftertaste in her mouth though, and the longer she sat with it, the hotter it burned on her tongue. Eventually, Seren scrabbled for a glass of water, and aired her tongue like Haai might, or some mongrel on the streets.

"It is spicy! But good," she laughed. "I think I like it."

Her fathers definitely might, she thought. So Saiden's accepting grin was a welcome sight, and Seren eagerly watched him work, even as she unwound the rest of the wrappings from her hands.

"How do you make it?" she asked after a while, always eager to pick up their cooking lessons whenever she got a chance.
The forces of gravity