thingamabobs
for Jack
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 14 - Int:
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
Delta
See the light as it shines on the sea? It's blinding
But no one knows, how deep it goes
You know what Delta likes?

Shiny things

Apparently, metal often gets super gross and rusty under water as well, things tend to fall apart rather quickly. The more precious objects are typically found at shipwrecks, sometimes even in boxes, so it's strange to find such an object so close to the shore.

Delta immediately notices it purely based on the gleam of it. The way the sun reaches into the water and bounces off of the round disk-like object. It seems a bit wedged between the coral and so, Delta swims up and carefully removes it, first checking to make sure that the coral is fine before finally taking a glance at it.

It's an absolutely beautiful thing, perfectly handcrafted. Why would someone throw something like this into the ocean? It's a real pity too as she actually has no idea what it is.

Good thing for the unfortunate person who lost it, Delta is only a few feet from the surface and is hopefully in perfect sight.

Jack
And it seems like it's calling out to me, so come find me
And let me know, what's beyond that line, will I cross that line?
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
JACK
Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Jack wasn't a clumsy person by nature. (Or an easy going one. Or a kind one. Or... yeah, you get the picture). And yet, accidents did happen. Accidents like taking something from the inside pocket of one's waistcoat, dragging one's compass out along with it, and sending it slinking off into the ocean along the side of the docks.

Crouching down along the edge of the boardwalk and glaring into the water, Jack was somewhat elated to find that the object hadn't fallen far. What's more, there was a definitely-not-exactly-fish shaped figure swimming around there, and the thoughts he picked up from the range of his telepathy were clear: shiny.

Knowing better than to shout into the water and expect her to hear him, Jack did the next best reasonable thing.

He tossed a stone into the water as well. Not at her, exactly. Just near enough to get attention (probably).
you wanted perfect, you got your perfect
but now I'm too perfect for someone like you
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Delta
It must be incredibly lucky for the poor lad that Delta not only plucked up the object but also that she noticed the stone. Grasping at it with her hands, she turned it over before staring up at the surface. Who was throwing stuff down?

Cautiously, she slowly started to swim up to the surface, pausing to make sure that they weren't about to throw a knife or something stupid like that before finally poking her head above the water. Looking around, she tried to find the figure before she saw a man, peering down. "Hello? Did you throw the rock?" And if not- well, this was certainly a very awkward conversation to say the least. Lets hope that knife doesn't show up.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JACK
Crouched now at the edge of the docks, Jack let out a breath of relief as the mermaid (as it turned out) swam up towards the surface. There was no wonder or novelty in his expression; the captain dealt with the merfolk regularly in his line of business, and he found them to be reliable business partners, actually. Still, this wasn't about that right now.

"I did," he told the girl. "Wanted to get your attention. You've got my compass - that shiny thing you just found between the rocks." He nodded back to where she would have picked it up. "I'd like it back."
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Delta
Never had a human actually ask her for their object back. Tilting her head, she let out a thoughtful hum. Should she be nice and give it back? That would certainly minimize any problems... but other thoughts were swirling in her head. She was a tad bit wary as well, she was kind of wanting something out of this. If this was his, she seriously just saved his compass for him. Shouldn't she get something in return?

Finally, after a brief moment of silence, the mermaid spoke up. "How do I know this is your compass? And why exactly should I give it back?" Her voice remained calm and open ended, hoping to show that she wasn't threatening him (not yet at least). This was just a simple little conversation and all she wanted was the answers to her questions: then he would possibly get his compass back.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
Sensing the what's in it for me vibes in her thoughts, Jack sat comfortably now on the boardwalk, one leg dangling over the side of the docks as he regarded her. "If you turn it over, there's an engravin' on the back in the shape of an eye," he told her, nodding as if challenging her to take a look. "And you should give it back because it doesn't belong to you." As if the captain abided by any of those rules or honour himself.

"But if you want somethin' to sweeten the deal, name it. I ain't got much with me, but if you got a price then I'll have the compass back in exchange." Or he'd just wait until it was back in his hands and walk off. Who knew, honestly.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Delta
With a very obvious raise of an eyebrow, Delta looked down at the compass and turned it over. Sure enough, there was an engraving. While she would've believed him by just saying that, the specificity was only adding to her belief. This was his compass, absolutely. She knew better than to keep it from him for good, but who's to say that she couldn't get at least a little something from this? Afterall, without her, he may not have even gotten his compass back at all.

Luckily, this fellow was flexible enough to work with her and actually seemed pretty calm, something Delta could really appreciate. "Well... I don't really want or need much for this. Do you have anything that I normally couldn't find in the ocean? Most stuff like compasses tend to break away when they come into the ocean." Honestly, she was willing to take anything that he had to offer that wasn't a pretty stone or a shell. "I'm open to a lot of things. Something pretty or something I cant normally get would be nice." She wanted to seem reasonable so he wouldn't get mad at her for wishing to bargain with him.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
Jack read her curiosity, her naivete, the goodness of her intentions even if she wanted to ensure she got something for herself out of it, and found himself wondering if she would ever make a good fence on the smuggling front. He had his contacts in the merfolk, of course, but he was always looking for new angles. Then again, if he knew she was Maru's daughter perhaps he wouldn't have been quite so keen for that.

Either way, she stated her case and he shrugged to her. "Ever got drunk?" he asked. "Got a couple of bottles of whiskey I could get you. Or hell, you can have these." He gestured to the sunglasses he wore. "If that don't suit your fancy, there's a bunch of stuff on my ship you might want instead."
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Delta
Raising her eyebrows, Delta tried to act like she was thinking long and hard. Honestly, that already sounded like an amazing deal! While she had never tried alcohol, those glasses on his head did seem super cool.

Letting out a hum, even though Jack probably couldn't hear her, Delta finally spoke up. "Alright... I'll take the whiskey and those glasses on your head. In exchange, you will get your compass." Delta had zero interest in boarding that ship, it sounded like a trap and honestly, she'd much rather just get the deal with done quick and fast... except... "I would be willing to trade in the future for maybe some items on your ship... I do enjoy trading." Might as well try to get some more things in the future? Delta had plenty she'd trade away and plenty that she would want in exchange. Clearly to her, it was a perfect plan.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
Jack smiled internally, already able to read that their deal had been sealed, and he nodded and took the sunglasses from his nose, folding them shut and holding them out over the edge of the pier. "Toss up the compass and I'll drop 'em to you. Then if you swim over there," here he nodded across the docks to a ship with russet sails bleached by the sunlight, "I can get the whiskey for you as well. How's that sound?" Because deal or not, he wasn't leaving without his compass as a show of good faith.

Further trading did not sound like a bad idea, and Jack grinned down at the mermaid. "Sure," he said. "What'd you normally find in the water? Call me Jack, by the way."
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Delta
The glasses were folded up and Delta watched with wide eyes as he slowly reached out before speaking. The deal sounded fair enough- Delta understood why the man would want the compass back. Of course, she had to fully trust that the human would uphold his other end of the deal. Oh well. Getting the compass ready, she swam back a little bit before tossing it up onto the dock, hoping that not only would the compass make it up there but also that it wouldn't be damaged by the action. "And the glasses?" She asked as she swam back to her original position.

Her eyes shifted briefly over to the ship before looking back. "Hmm... yeah, that's fine with me." This whiskey better be impressive! Seeing as she was going to be going an awfully long way to get it.

Before that, the human finally gave her a name to use. "Nice to meet ya Jack, I'm Delta." She offers him a smile before continuing on to the more fun part. "I find lots of stuff. Tons of jewelry, occasionally weapons and eating tools. I can typically find a use for the weapons but eh, I don't like the pronged tool." The pronged tool being a fork. Delta had discovered that humans were.... lazy? Or they had tools that were really only useful for a couple of things. "Anything that a sailor loses in the water, I'll probably find. You name it and I've probably seen it at one point." That didn't mean that it wasn't broken, but Delta usually did find each type of item in some capacity.
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
Jack had to stoop to try and catch the compass as she threw it up and onto the deck, not keen to risk letting it get damaged even with Delta’s attempt to help. He caught it on the tips of his fingers, scooping it up and inspecting it for a second before tucking it away and into his waistcoat pocket. ”Pleasure doing business with you,” he said, dropping the glasses down into the water for her to catch.

”Sounds as though you’re quite the treasure hunter,” he said, raising a hand to shield his eyes from the sun now that he had no sunglasses. ”Well, if you come over to the ship I’ll get you that whiskey. She’ll be docked there until Flowerbirth, so if you’ve anything else you want to trade, come find me.”
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Delta
The glasses dropped to the ocean and Delta manages to catch it before it can be submerged. Perfect. Unfolding it, she carefully places it onto her face before looking up at him with a grin. "And you as well!" Because wow! These glasses are fantastic! It dims the sky around her but she can still see? She cant help but wonder how such amazing things are made, but she doubts that this sailor knows anything about such a process.

His compliment only causes her to grin even more. "Why thank you." She was almost beaming with pride, happy to hear such a remark from a man who clearly was very well off.

Removing the glasses, she folds them back up again and offers Jack a nod "Good with me. I will meet you over there. Once LongNight passes, I'll absolutely bring you more stuff. I can stop by at dawn? Just look for me." And with that she dives back into the water, heading towards the massive ship, eager to acquire this 'whiskey' that he's promised her.

Feel free to Fin!