Training [SE] wrists straight, thumbs in
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
I need to keep the training thing up. Saiden gave me a good run for my money, but I ain’t gonna get any better if I don’t make it part of my routine. And that’s where it fuckin’ sucks, because that means something’s gotta give. It’s either my beauty sleep or fucking. And I’m not sure how to choose between the two on a regular basis. Last night I didn’t have to, but one day someone’s gonna walk through that door and…

Well. No one’s been able to do that yet, so I’ll cross that bridge whenever the time comes. Anyway. It’s much earlier than I usually get up, but I want to see what’s going on at the boxing ring. Last time I’d gone it had been empty, but maybe people are early risers or somethin’. And maybe someone will help a cute, tired lookin’ lady out by teaching her a few things.
quid pro quo
ain't nothin in this life for free
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Hunter

Age: 31 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5250
Kel didn't want to come back to the boxing ring, not after knowing that the cruel moonlit man might be there once more.

But his fight with Alina had shown him that he had a lot to learn, and that night with Nate had been proof enough that he couldn't always outrun his problems.

He compromised by making the trek from his jungle shack to the boxing ring in the early morning light, a time he assumed the other man would be fast asleep beside the tattooed man. He wasn't quite sure what his plan was (he didn't have one, not really), but he figured he hoped something would come to him when he got there.

To his surprise, however, someone else was there before him. A woman he'd seen at a distance from within a bar before, and he paused in the ring's door as he sought to place her. After a moment's hesitation he stepped inside, letting his bow and quiver propped against a chair as he offered her a cautious nod of greeting. "H-hey. Are you here to work out, too?"
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
I was hoping to find Sunjata about, or maybe one of the guys I’d grown up with - but I don’t know why I thought they’d be up this early. I sigh in exasperation at the empty place, thinking that it might be best to simply send a message to the Arbiter himself and ask him to arrange for someone to give her a couple of lessons. Yeah, that’s probably the best course of action. Screw this proactive shit.

Turning to go, the figure in the doorway startles me and I jump a bit, missing his question. Once I calm down, his question registers - but before I answer, I give him a good once-over, trying to decide if it’s even worth it to stay. “S’pose so,” I say cautiously. Physically, he looks like he might be a good opponent, but that initial stutter has me wary of wasting my time. “You been here before?” If the answer is yes, it might work.

{sorry for the delay}
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Hunter

Age: 31 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The woman looked no-nonsense and tough, like she knew what she was about. Kel knew his own diffident attitude wasn't doing him any favors, but he'd had much of his former confidence knocked out of him by the portal that ripped him from his life and several subsequent bad experiences on Haulani's streets, where a smile all-too-often concealed a knife. He was a far more cautious creature now...

But that was why he was here, after all. To gain some of that confidence back and make sure he wasn't taken advantage of again.

"Yeah. A couple of times," he answered her question, though she didn't exactly seem delighted to have him for an opponent. Not that he could blame her. He'd left his share of blood on the mat the last time he'd been here, when a Fae half his size had kicked him in the face. "What... what about you?" Slowly, keeping an eye on her, he started to stretch and limber up.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
That is the Haulani I know. Gotta earn a reputation for no-nonsense, not to be fucked with, and continue to defend it. Or have others defend it for you. Run with the right gang - and there were many to choose from. But my place is a neutral zone; come to drink, make deals, get the news - whatever.

“Not ‘ere.” Shaking my head, I watch him start to stretch and wonder if he’s meeting someone. No, my teachers were the streets of Torchline. “ I’m more of a knife person.” But she is here, early, which signifies a willingness to learn. “You waitin’ on someun or -” Or is it just the two of them? Two newbies left to figure this fightin’ shit out.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Hunter

Change author:
It was odd to think of himself as the more experienced boxer, though the way she phrased it left it likely that she had trained elsewhere, if 'training' was the right word for the sort of experience scrapping and brawling could impart. Nothing so formal, likely, just as Kel's 'education' had consisted of hard knocks and lessons learned the painful way in human taverns or when jumped by brigands on the trail.

Or, more recently, from a pugnacious Fae and a wily old man.

"No," he admitted, a touch sheepishly. "I was hoping there would be some early risers who would be willing to offer a few lessons." A hope she had apparently shared - now equally dashed. "But maybe we can figure something out together? I'm Kel. And I could use some lessons in knife work, if you're up for teaching." He'd need something to trade, but hopefully they could come to an arrangement - or figure out a more equitable sparring arrangement.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
It seems that we’ve either both gotten it wrong and there are no early-rising fighters, or all the fighters are taking a break this morning - perhaps sleeping off some booze or wounds from last night. Before I agree to anything (or refrain from agreeing), it would be polite to introduce myself as well. “Raza. I own the Hanged Man.” It’s not to brag, really, just a point of reference for ‘im.

After a brief consideration, I shake my head. “I ain’t the right person to train you wit knives, but maybe we could figure things out on our own this morning, yeah? Or… footwork or sensin’ things wi’out our eyes?” Giving Kel a lot of options to choose from, I try to keep it away from anything that might actually get either of us hurt. I don’t know this guy and I don’t know what he can do - he might be hustlin’ me for all I know.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Hunter

Change author:
"Raz...? oh!" Kel rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, nodding in recognition. "Actually... Jiao told me to come talk to you, but with everything..." Volcanoes and new governments, his run-in with Nate and trying to find a home, his few forays into the Hanged Man had never seemed to be when its owner was around. "I'm... it's good to finally meet you," he finished, a little awkwardly but with a hesitant smile.

He wasn't too disappointed that she didn't want to train him, not when she offered other suggestions and he considered them thoughtfully. His speed and grace could definitely use some polishing so he nodded decisively after a moment. "Footwork. I guess we could spar with our hands behind our backs, and only use kicks? Or... or one of us can practice dodging while the other throws things at them and then switch? Or anything you have in mind," he added with a slight wince, knowing his own ideas weren't very good and vowing to try and think of exercises that could be used in the future if it ever came up again, so he wasn't caught so unprepared.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
“Jiao?” I repeat, unable to initially put a name to a face. After a moment, I hit my forehead with my palm and nod into it. “Oh, right. The fae lady.” Of course I can’t fathom why he might have been sent to see me, so I have to ask. “What for?” It’s not an unkind ask, more bewildered than anything else.

The whole thing is an odd coincidence, considering that it ain’t what I’m - or we’re - here for. Listening to his suggestions, I have to admit that they aren’t bad, but a quick look around reveals a lack of not-hard or dangerous things to throw at each other. “Aight, yeah. We could put our hands behind our backs an' uh, mebbe work on some kicks? Might 'urt, but might also be more, I dunno, productive?” I, too, feel like I’m grasping at straws, but it can also help us with our balance. Assuming he says yes, I’ll stand up and move into the boxing ring, put my hands behind my back and grasp the opposite forearms while bending my knees so I can be ready to move.

With a nod, I give him the first attack.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Hunter

Change author:
For a minute - a very uncomfortable and stomach-clenching minute of sheer awkward uncertainty - he thought he'd gotten the names wrong. Raza's memory returning a moment later had him exhaling a little puff of relief as he nodded confirmation of the Fae lady's identity. "I uh. I'm... I was new," he admitted, hardly a secret he could keep for any length of time, no matter how it painted a target on his back. "Jiao was the first person I met but... she told me to try and find you. Said you could maybe help me get on my feet or... or introduce me to someone who could." He shrugged, offering Raza an uncertain smile. "I'm more or less there now, though. But if you ever do food at the bar I could maybe trade what I hunt for a tab?" Not that he drank a lot, but sometimes it would be nice to have the option.

He didn't think his idea was particularly good, but when she chose it he nodded shy agreement and followed her into the ring. Mirroring her by folding his hands behind his back, he hesitated when she offered him the first attack. He wasn't usually the type to start fights, but for training purposes he was willing to try. And he was glad he'd stretched a bit already, rolling up onto the balls of his feet and then back again to try and find his balance before shifting his weight and kicking out with his right leg towards her left knee, the blow a little weak and hesitant as he tried to keep his balance with his arms behind his back and throwing off his center of gravity.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
Well that was presumptuous of Jiao, wasn’t it? I almost snort as he tells me what she offered, able to hold back in the end because there is a way to turn this to my advantage. Depends on Kel, of course. Instead, I remain thoughtful and give him a little side-eyed look. “We don’t serve food, but if you ever need a drink you can pay with a favor.” At least a quarter’a my clientele operates on a favor-for-booze premise, an’ I usually get my payment one way or another. Besides, I could see if he might be useful enough to casually bring to the fold - peripherally, of course. Need-to-know basis.

Anyway. It’s just an idea runnin’ through my head as we get ready to practice. I watch him carefully, trying to spot any giveaways - figurin’ we both probably have ‘em without our arms for balance. I shuffle a little towards him, in order to keep ourselves within potential striking distance. I keep my legs bent an’ ready to move, sashaying to the right as his kick comes in. Trying to retaliate quickly enough so that he doesn’t have the time to catch his balance, I lean on my right leg and strike out with my left foot in a snapping motion at hip height - the way I’ve seen some really good street fighters do. I ain’t sure what I’m aiming for, but it’s a quick move that will hopefully allow me to stay on balance.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Hunter

Change author:
He had learned to be cautious of favors, but Jiao had vouched for the bar owner. If Zeph did, too, then it was worth the risk and he gave Raza a cautious nod of agreement. "Alright." He hadn't had much chance for nights on the town even if he'd had the inclination, but he was starting to find his feet a bit more. Maybe there would be a reason to be more sociable as he settled into a routine. Once his house was built things would hopefully start falling into place.

Or not, and he'd need a drink or three to try and forget his worries and woes instead.

Something to think of for the future. For the present there was a chance to practice balance and footwork and an opponent waiting for him to make the first move, which he did with less than stellar results. His uncertainty proved his undoing as Raza shifted out of the way so that his leg whiffed through the air. Kel wobbled for a second as he brought it back, trying to regain his balance before she could take advantage of his lapse but she was faster than him. He couldn't get out of the way before her foot connected with his hip and he grunted at the impact, his right leg faltering as he got his foot back under him too late to follow up.

He eyed her with new wariness and respect as he shifted, hiding the grimace as opted against putting weight on the newly-bruised leg just yet. Instead he tried to kick out again, this time turning and trying for a higher kick, as hers had been. Not the same snap-quick fluidity, but instead more focused on power, trying to catch her hips with a slightly-less-wobbly sidekick to push her back. He was starting to find a bit more balance as he got used to having his arms behind him, but the movements were far from refined yet.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
That I’m able to connect with Kel at all is a bit of a surprise; I don’t know what I was expecting, but it wasn’t to be able to hit him on the first try. In fact it might be so unexpected that the impact throws me a bit off balance and when my leg pulls back I don’t quite land correctly. There would have been an opening for him to strike, but instead of taking it, he seems to just… look at me.

Which is somethin’ I don’t understand.

So I try to attack again with something to the shins, but he’s already started - just a second or two before me. Which means that his kick lands on my standing leg, sole of his foot to just below my hop bone (I’m lucky it wasn’t higher or lower, one would have toppled me and the other would have left my quads in pain). It does, however, send me stumbling and I lurch to one side, bending over to try and keep my balance. But an idea comes to me and I try to use that momentum to turn around and charge Kel, my shoulder aiming for his stomach.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Hunter

Change author:
Kel was a hunter of beasts, not people, and Raza was right in thinking that his instincts were all wrong for this sort of work. Still, he had come to learn and he was trying as best he could with the limitations they'd agreed to. She was a quicker study than him - but then, Haulani so far seemed like a stricter teacher than his own homeland had been.

He got lucky in his timing rather than having any particular advantage in speed, but it was luck he was willing to accept, feeling the thrill of success when he struck home. It bought him a few seconds (he thought) to regain his balance and feel the pain in his hip start to subside beneath the rush of adrenaline--

And then he was getting rushed by something completely different as Raza adjusted to the rules and found a loophole he hadn't anticipated. Kel managed to shift partially aside as she came for him so that she didn't hit him squarely, but the glancing impact still sent him stumbling with an ooph! of air pushed out of his diaphragm as he fought to avoid falling. His magic reacted instinctively, a stiff breeze (or at least, a zephyr with ambitions) sweeping up a handful of grit from the ring's floor and flinging it towards Raza's eyes to hopefully temporarily blind her while he caught his balance.