A Solitary Flower
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 3 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
you will always be a monster
there is no turning back from it
Fae, for all their twisted tongues that curl beneath the inability to speak a straight line, are incredibly good gossipers. Nephele has never much cared for their topics in the past, though her ears had been eternally open to any information. Much of it had been waved away with a roll of her golden eyes, exasperated by the shallowness, but it had never been truly forgotten. After all, one can never know when a tidbit of information will come handy.

Today is that day.

Juniper is a bit of a scourge upon the tapestry of their society. Nephele has always been more empathetic to the other Fae's grandfather for his fascination with the humans, considering her own scientific curiosity in them. A curiosity that had flourished in her travels throughout the Grounds, meeting those who would care to speak with her (more than she had admittedly expected) and finding she did not hate them as much as anticipated. As such she finds herself hoping that Juniper follows in the footsteps of her grandfather, that perhaps the whispers of the girl being a sympathizer will ring true.

Nephele alights upon the doorstep of Juniper's home, knocking politely against the natural wooden frame, hoping the other Fae is home and willing to entertain a guest today.

Juniper
but what type of monster you become
is entirely up to you
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
The knock at her door surprised Juniper. Her fellow Fae rarely sought her out -- at least, not for good reasons. She considered not answering, suspecting that the encounter might go poorly. Life became a little darker for Juniper after the Ascended's attack on the Mathair, which made certain Fae even more hostile to outside influence, and anyone suspected of promoting it, even unto the third generation.

But finally Juniper went to the door. Maybe this time someone would be kind to her. It wasn't unheard of.

She was aware enough of the opposite possibility, however, that she didn't immediately open the door, simply called through it, "Who's there?"
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Age: 60 | Height: 5'0 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Though slightly confused by the lack of immediate admittance, upon reflection it's entirely understandable. Their kind already are known to be predisposed towards civil war and violence against their own kin. Delah had not been expected to form a village such as theirs, but their success means nothing with all that the Ascended have wrought. It means nothing on a personal level between Fae of their own village.

"My name is Nephele. Eriadne's sister." Many new her twin's name more than her own, as Eriadne had been a soldier in their ranks. Nephele was known amongst the scholarly types perhaps, for how she had lived and breathed every tome in the Undercroft. She's uncertain whether Juniper is of that inclination. "I've come with a proposition, as part of the new cabinet of leadership arising." Spoken a bit softer, wary of prying eyes and listening ears. They have not announced Delah's death just yet, but her absence is slowly becoming apparent.
is entirely up to you
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper didn't know what to think of Nephele's words -- she was no soldier, so Eriadne's name was as foreign to her as Nephele's own, though she could recall hearing vague gossip of them both. New leadership? Unlike her grandfather -- and perhaps because she sought to distance herself from him -- Juniper had never followed Fae politics very closely. She knew of the turmoil of recent years, of course, but what had happened to Delah?

The easiest way to answer that question, of course, would be to let Nephele in and ask. Such concerns were best discussed in private, not shouted through a door. And Nephele had made clear that she wasn't here to play some mean trick on Juniper or insult her, though Juniper didn't imagine letting her in would be entirely without danger.

But she opened the door. "Come in."

She stepped back to let Nephele into the room. Juniper's home was simple, small -- one main room served as living space and kitchen, with a tiny bedroom in the back. But it was cozy and woodsy; now, in DeepFrost, Juniper had warm blankets piled on her couch. She picked up another blanket from a chair that sat diagonally to the couch and gestured Nephele to it. "Feel free to sit down."

Juniper knew she wasn't giving the other Fae the warmest reception, but, well -- she didn't entertain often. Besides, in the back of her mind rested the knowledge that she might still come to regret even letting Nephele in. Even so, she was considering whether to offer Nephele some tea when the woman's appearance really registered: the black rags she wore, the bracelets around her wrists, the intense look in her eyes. The sight instantly turned Juniper serious -- and a bit more wary even than she had already been. She decided to leave tea unmade, and to wait until Nephele sat down to do so herself.

Time to ask her questions, then. "A new cabinet of leadership? What of Delah -- does she support this?"

table by Skylark
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
The scientist-turned-soldier waits patiently, rocking idly on her heels, never fearing the threat of becoming unbalanced. Wings still loose and fluttering slowly as, she assumes, Juniper considers the implications and machinations of her words. As they say, curiosity kills the cat, and the door swings open to permit Nephele to gaze upon her shorter kin.

She is quite a beautiful young woman, fair of face and with large, captivating eyes that boldly communicate her doubt. Despite this Nephele is permitted entrance, and she gives an elegant tilt of her head in deference to the display of respect. It is certainly not to the point of declaring it anything like trust, but Nephele takes what she can get. Alighting upon the indicated chair, she folds her legs beneath her, careful to keep her shoes away from the fabric even as she reclines her shoulder into the crest of the back. Trying to encourage comfort and peace in her companion by making herself at home, projecting a clear physical disadvantage.

Ah, but there is only so long Nephele can coast along on Juniper's curiosity and hostessing. "We have not yet informed the others at large, so I must ask that you keep this knowledge close to your chest." Trying to not seem so intimidating as her hazel eyes implore the girl to take heed. Intimidating, hah. What a notion. Nephele had never felt she could be called that, doubts she could even now. "Delah has passed on into Mort's realm. Ludo itself has told me this, and Alina is looking into the details of how it came to be." After all Delah was not even remotely close to the far end of a Fae's lifespan. She pauses for a tense moment, allowing it to sink in, before continuing. "Ludo has tasked me with lifting Alina to her empty throne, and to helping our people, in a variety of ways. That is why I'm here, to see you."
is entirely up to you
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper could tell that Nephele was consciously trying to set her at ease, but it still worked. She sat on the couch, putting the folded blanket down next to her. At the moment, Nephele didn't seem to present a physical threat; Juniper remained aware that their encounter could still go badly, but she was perfectly willing to accept that the next few minutes would be devoted to conversation, not some kind of fight.

Her first reaction to Nephele's words was a nod: Juniper knew how to keep a secret. "I will be discreet."

But Nephele's next statement challenged that discretion, even as it shocked Juniper -- her eyes widened, and she clutched the couch's armrest. "Delah is dead?"

Juniper hadn't known the Fae's leader personally, but it was still momentous news -- especially given the turmoil and change the Fae had experienced over the past few years. Now seemed like the worst possible time for something like this to happen, and Juniper couldn't help but assume that Delah's death was somehow connected to the Fae's other problems.

She collected herself. The next question on her mind was what had happened to Delah, of course, but Nephele clearly didn't know herself yet, so she didn't ask. "I see. You've asked me to keep this quiet, but -- this is important. Our people need to know. I don't want to tell people against your wishes, but I'd ask you to reconsider your secrecy."

So Alina would take the throne ... Juniper knew a bit more about her fellow huntress than she did about Nephele. At least, she knew of Alina's dislike of outsiders -- Juniper had a habit of keeping track of which of her fellow Fae took a more hard-line stance, although Alina had never been among those who harassed her. That stance worried Juniper. Oh, there was plenty of reason for the Fae to distrust outsiders, especially after what the Ascended had done to the Mathair, but Juniper worried that Alina might lead them into more conflict and hardship rather than protecting their people and giving them the space to heal.

But Juniper's opinions had never really mattered to the Fae, and she wasn't going to express her worries to Nephele now. Instead she said, "I'm not sure I see how that brings you to me. What do you wish me to do?"

It felt like a test of her loyalty, for the potentially hard-line new government to come to Juniper first. Perhaps Nephele was here because she suspected Juniper of following in her grandfather's treasonous footsteps -- because the Fae's new leaders had decided to make Juniper's pariah status official rather than just social.

table by Skylark
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Nephele, for a distracted moment, follows Juniper's hands as they idly lay the woven blanket in a better location. Perhaps any other day she would have asked for it, or inquired as to who made it. Anything more social and kindly than that which has driven her here today. Admittedly it's a shame. Nephele wishes for a moment that they met on different terms. That perhaps they could be friends before allies, sisters before fellow soldiers. It is Juniper's soft, lilting voice that breaks her from her moue of thought, and she nods in silent appreciation of the vow. Though it is clear as soon as the news is broken that perhaps it was one made in haste, once Juniper realizes the gravity of what Nephele is asking of her. "Yes, she is dead." What more can she say? Their tongues are incapable of holding lies, but she speaks the words in return because they are far more blunt and powerful with the words Juniper herself had used. Fewer ways to misunderstand exactly the message she means to impart.

"If we tell them before we have a structure in place to promise them protection, to comfort them that we are not falling apart, we could have a civil war on our hands." Their people have a bloodied history of it between clans already, Nephele doubts they'd need much more incentive in the wake of all the stress that has befallen them since the Barrier was destroyed. "We cannot have a bloody revolution as everyone attempts to claim the spot of leadership for themselves. Please, Juniper. I don't hold it from them lightly." There is a quiet plea in her golden eyes, asking for more than just understanding. Asking for Juniper to stand beside her against this potential tidal wave, to help keep it at bay by merely holding her tongue.

At least the girl does not get consumed with news of Delah's death. Nephele leans back, unaware she had even moved forward in her chair to beg Juniper's silence. "Unlike the others, I have explored the human sanctuary of the Hollowed Grounds. I have interacted with them, studied them. Perhaps my interest began more scientifically, but I do not hold the same disdain that our fellows do for their kind." An olive branch before she asks of Juniper what she must. Letting her know that she is not alone in her thoughts and feelings - if she has followed in her grandfather's footsteps, as Nephele so desperately hopes she has. "Alina has agreed to allow me to handle negotiations, and I have convinced her that our only hope of survival - of thriving, instead of scraping by - is to embrace them. I cannot accept the Ascended, and I will not, but I am of the mind that it is time we integrate. That we can possibly be stronger together than at odds." Sharp, hawklike eyes never part from Juniper as she says this, awaiting any reaction that may surface. "I know your grandfather was effectively exiled for his love of the humans. I cannot apologize for all of us, but I believe it was wrong. And I would like you to be our liaison, in an official and encouraged capacity." Oop, there it is.
is entirely up to you
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
"You make a good argument," Juniper admitted, listening to the reasons for Nephele's secrecy. Who knew better than Juniper how insular and fractious the Fae could be? How they could divide themselves into cliques and clans rather than acting as one people? "I understand. I still believe our people should be told as soon as possible, but I can accept that right now is not the time."

But while Juniper did see the request in Nephele's eyes, she didn't understand what the other Fae wanted -- the prospect of Nephele needing support from her was far from her mind. Juniper would never have imagined that she, of all people, could help hold the Fae together. The only way she'd ever united people was through their dislike of her.

When Nephele began to speak of the humans of the Hollowed Grounds, Juniper sat back, her face turning guarded. Ah, here it was. The suspicion, the taint of her grandfather's crime, the only thing anyone knew about Juniper. The only thing anyone cared about. Even though Nephele offered assurances of her sympathy, not accusations, Juniper still resented the assumption that she shared her grandfather's interests.

Juniper took a deep breath as Nephele finished her pitch. When she spoke, her voice was bitter. "You offer me this position because of my grandfather, not because I deserve it. You know nothing of my own habits and sympathies."

Harsh words, but if Nephele wanted to trust Juniper with such a responsibility, they should be honest with each other -- truly honest, not simply a Fae's enforced honesty, which allowed omissions and eliding of the truth.

Glancing away from Nephele, her lids shadowing her eyes, Juniper said, "I have no particular affinity for humans. To be frank, I have avoided developing any, knowing that what might be a harmless eccentricity in another Fae would be viewed as a crime in someone of my heritage."

table by Skylark
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
"I've had more time to consider the matter than you," she points out kindly, appreciating the odd backwards compliment but unwilling to seem pretentious. "The moment we are ready, we will not delay in telling everyone. But your silence means more than you know." One more fear off her shoulders, one less eventuality to keep her awake into the early hours of dawn, unable to sleep with the gravity of all she must do weighing heavy upon her small shoulders. Had Ludo merely taken the first soul to its side that had been as fervent as she? Had it considered that she was no warrior, no matter the spirit inside?

She is drawn from her thoughts by Juniper's ill-concealed reaction, knowing there is nothing she can do to avoid this particular nasty part of the conversation. The assumptions, the hurt. Drudging up old wounds and picking at them gleefully to suit her own needs. Nephele hates it. For all her hatred and vitriol towards the Ascended, she loves her people. She does not want to cause them pain in any way. Perhaps in another life she would have visited Juniper sooner, and maybe they could have been friends, long before all of this.

She waits through the torrential downpour of words, quiet and complacent, before she dares to speak. "I do, yes. But not to insult you or turn you into a new pariah." Steepling her fingers she leans forward, elbows pressing into her thighs as her bonfire eyes stare intently at Juniper. "I offer it to let you redeem your grandfathers name. To turn the tables, to show that he was never wrong in the first place." Whether Juniper places any weight on her family name, on giving it better standing, it's something she hopes will reach the girl.

"The fact of the matter is that I am devoted to aiding our people, even if that means overturning decades of bigotry and bias. Even Alina has agreed to allow me free reign in this endeavor, admits in her grudging way that we cannot live without the humans." Survive, perhaps, but not live. "If not for yourself or your grandfather, can you see that we need this role to help our people? To protect further monuments from being destroyed, to prevent the Ascended killing more of our people? We cannot exclude our potential allies."
is entirely up to you
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper took a deep breath when Nephele was done speaking. There was a lot to think about in Nephele's appeal. She could be sure that Nephele wasn't lying to her, at least; she believed everything she said. But that didn't mean she was right.

"I agree that we need this role to help our people." Juniper hesitated. Years of other Fae's reactions had trained her not to voice even the slightest thought in favor of outsiders, and she struggled to shake that habit, even if Nephele had spoken of their importance first. Part of her whispered that perhaps Nephele had spoken only to bait Juniper into a damaging admission for some hidden audience. But Juniper forced herself to go on: "Allies will make us stronger, better able to resist the depredations of those who would harm us, Ascended or otherwise."

Her tone turned even more serious, almost bitter, as she spoke of the Ascended. Her own troubles with Fae society did not make her any less horrified at the destruction of the Mathair. She added, almost to herself, "We cannot lose any more."

Then she shook her head, her tone lightening as she turned her attention back to Nephele's request. "I'm simply not sure that I am the right Fae for the position. There must be others who have actual experience with outsiders, who have not avoided them all their lives."

As for the idea of redeeming her grandfather's name, of proving him right -- Juniper didn't know how she felt about that. She'd never really allowed herself to think that her grandfather had been right; she'd considered it unjust that his actions affected her life, but she'd never protested his original condemnation. Doing so would only make things worse for her, she'd always thought.

table by Skylark
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
Agreement is a start at the very least. An open-mindedness that Juniper may say she does not have, and yet which she unfailingly displays here and now. Alina, in comparison, had protested at least a little. It only makes Nephele more certain that Juniper fits this role in exactly the way she needs. Her bitterness sends a thrill through Nephele's stomach, wildfire gaze sparking as she leans over her folded legs, drawn in towards Juniper's words. "Precisely. We cannot fight a war on all fronts. We must focus on staying safe from the Ascended, and the humans have not caused any more harm since their initial venture into the Greatwood." Trying to leash the passion in her voice to a more moderate level that is less likely to scare or intimidate the other woman with her vehemence.

"It's not experience I'm looking for. It's that - the reaction you just had, the easy understanding that we do need the humans as our allies." Boldly she stands from her seated position, kneeling before Juniper where she remains on her own chair. "Even Alina, knowing this will help our people, remains recalcitrant at best. I want someone who doesn't have to struggle against those feelings with every moment. Someone who is truer of heart, who is willing to take on the task with more than a bitter feeling of responsibility." Nimble fingers reach out, not quite touching but hoping Juniper will place her hands upon her own. "You deserve more than a half-life of being scorned. If not for your grandfather, then I ask you consider it for yourself. For our people, who need union now more than ever before."
is entirely up to you
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
At first, Juniper's face relaxed a little as she listened to Nephele speak, noting the passion in her voice despite Nephele's attempt to restrain it. No, Nephele wasn't trying to trap or trick Juniper -- she sincerely believed her words. Of course, Juniper had known that; if not, a Fae never could have uttered them. But she also knew her people often dealt in half-truths. Only hearing that intensity, nigh desperation, in Nephele's voice could have convinced Juniper to trust her.

But as Nephele continued, that bitter little smile rose to Juniper's face again. She decided to be totally honest, not just Fae-enforced honest, to lay all her cards out on the table. "You do not think I will possess a sense of bitter responsibility? I am already struggling against my feelings. It makes me bitter simply to know that you came to me because of my grandfather. Just because my reservations are more personal than ideological does not mean they do not exist."

Juniper leaned forward, but didn't take Nephele's hands. "I can imagine another reason to choose me for the job, however. You must know that many of our people will hate whoever facilitates our close union with the humans. But me -- I am used to being hated, am I not? What loss is it if they hate me a little more?"

What loss is it to you? Juniper meant, because she'd spent her entire life trying to make sure her people didn't hate her any more than they had at the moment of her birth. But ... that hadn't exactly made her happy. Maybe it was time to try something different.

Juniper settled back in her seat, sighing. "I can see that you have a point. Our people need a diplomat, and while I don't consider myself particularly suited for the job ... I can't name any better-equipped, either.

"I will ask you one last time to reconsider whether I am truly the Fae you want. You should know that bringing me in will only taint your new queen with suspicion -- a suspicion you already invite simply by reaching out to the outsiders. But if you truly believe that this is the best path for our people ..."

Juniper let herself trail off, unable yet to say what she'd intended to end the sentence with: then I will do it.

table by Skylark
Nephele Amoret
the Meadowhawk

Change author:
"I'm gambling, yes." Wildfire eyes never leave Juniper's face, wanting to impart her own seriousness while simultaneously absorbing every honest word Juniper gives back in turn. "But if I don't make the first step and place my faith in my people, how can I expect them to reciprocate? And it's not just your grandfathers legacy that brought me here -" folding her hands upon her thighs, she remains kneeling at Juniper's feet. Giving her the high ground, assuming the more submissive position herself without any qualms. And what she has to say fits perfectly with the accusation of manipulation and maneuvering of pieces upon the board of approaching war. "- it's what has been done to you."

Standing, she begins to pace, hands flexing and fisting. "Our people have used our history as an excuse for segregation too long. I'm not exempt from the potential impact of this decision - I'm speaking for a new leader, who will already be viewed with suspicion and heavily criticised. In choosing you, I am rejecting their notions of exile, of bigotry. I want to bring you back where you belong, and damn the ones who say I shouldn't!" The gleam of her eyes is fierce, brow drawing down and teeth bared in a manner more animal than woman. "Either we change, and adapt, or we die. I am willing to tie my name to yours, to risk the wrath and potential desertion of those who won't approve. I will not forsake you, if you choose to stand with us." Forcing herself to pause and deliver this head on, a vow that she cannot squirm her way out of even if she wanted to.

Nephele can sense the unspoken agreement, and this time extends a single hand, praying this time it will be taken. "There is no reward without risk. I'm willing to bet on you, Juniper. You have my faith, my sworn protection from those who wish to cast you out or harm you. Do I have your faith in return?" Her hand remains in the space between them, waiting to solidify this new bond.
is entirely up to you
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper sat silent for a moment, stunned by the depth and passion of Nephele's words. Fae couldn't lie; Nephele meant it when she said she was doing this for Juniper as well as for herself, that she offered Juniper not only a political position but a fellowship, a bond of loyalty as well as necessity. Something in Juniper's mind -- the suspicion and cynicism engendered by years of rejection -- wanted to run through any possible ways that Nephele might be twisting the truth, any of those little omissions that Fae were so fond of. But ... No. Nephele clearly meant what she said. And if she were willing to show such faith in Juniper, to stick out her neck -- and that of her new queen -- to help re-integrate Juniper into Fae society, even knowing that Juniper had no special expertise to offer, nothing to make it worth their while in a cynic's estimation ...

Standing, Juniper took Nephele's hand and tried to pull Nephele to her feet. "Yes. You do. I ... I will join you, gladly. For our people, for you, and for myself. We will reach out to the outsiders, and we will be a stronger people for it."

Don't kneel to me, Juniper almost said -- it felt strange and wrong to see Nephele on her knees, begging, and Juniper didn't like the idea that she had reduced another Fae to such a state. But she let it go, not wanting to bring attention to Nephele's act of submission.

table by Skylark