dance around this empty house
Loren
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Trigger Warning 
Lonely shadows following me
Lonely ghosts come a-calling
Some time in the night, when Kiada had fallen asleep and the Kraai lay quiet, Korbin shifted back into himself and slipped away. Out into the cold night he went, heedless of leaving his coat behind. The cold air ate at his exposed skin and froze the sweat on his face. Cold sweat, brought on by the pain of broken ribs. He could feel the sundered edges scrape against one another, now and then stabbing a muscle at the side, or worse, grazing against a lung. If he kept moving around, sooner or later he would damage himself beyond repair.

But that was okay.

Staggering, face drawn, Korbin made his slow agonizing way home. The house was dark when he got there. Empty. When he pushed the front door open, he was met with a barrage of familiar scents. So well known they barely registered. Dust in corners, dishes that should have been taken care of, clothes that needed washing. A scent of bread regularly baked, of leather and soap and alcohol, and the cigarettes Weaver kept smuggling into her room.

It was cold. The fire had long since burned out. They would have to fine for that... though Weaver might waive it, now that she was the Warden. Rules never applied to her.

Slowly, Korbin moved through the house, lost in a haze of memories. Floorboards creaked under his feet, and brought to mind the steps of his parents in the early mornings, in that dimly remembered time when everything was still alright. He couldn't quite recall his mom's face, but the voice that called for them to wake up rang clear and crisp to him across time. Would anyone remember her name? Straia Hale. The strong, indomitable woman who walked out one day and never returned.

Pushing open the door to his parent's bedchamber, he found the air inside stale and stagnant. No one had been inside for a long time. Not since dad died and the traces of his illness was cleaned out. Maybe Erebor had come to fetch some tool or other, to gather a trinket for trade when times were hard. Korbin had often been told he was most like Larse out of his sons, but his own memories were reduced to a man with blue eyes and a soft smile. Everything else was lost in the ravages of time.

Erebor's room was just as he left it. That morning, he had been in a hurry, and strewn clothes and items around as he got ready. Reaching down with a soft groan, Korbin's frostbitten fingers closed on a light inner coat of black leather. With great pain he slowly pulled it on, and was surprised to find that it fit rather well. A bit wide over the shoulders and arms... Hos brother had been a mountain, someone he'd never hoped to ever match. Now he was just as tall. Who would ever think to compare them now?

Passing by his own bedroom, Korbin pushed open the door to Weaver's. He stood hesitating in the doorway, listening for the shout to stay out. She had always waltzed into his without a second thought, never bothering to knock, but if he so much as peeked inside hers, she thrashed him for it. Arbitrary rules. He went in. There were clothes strewn on the floor. A bottle of whiskey and glasses sat on the bedstand, and makeup, hairbrushes and scattered pieces of jewlery littered a desk. Gifts from him, from their parents, from Erebor and a number of suitors over the years. She rarely wore them. The dagger in it's sheath was more her thing. Picking it up, Korbin drew the blade out and smiled wryly; the blade was chipped. Left behind to be sharpened later, no doubt. Absently, he pocketed it.

The scent of her was stronger here. It followed him, like a thought or a ghost as he left to go downstairs. On his way, he paused by the lamps along the hallway. Lifted them down, unscrewed the lid and poured the contents onto the floor. One by one; the last he sprinkled onto the steps of the stair.

Korbin went into the workshop next. In the dark, the shadows were heavy, and he remembered the conversation he had held with Weaver as they worked on her leather. One sided; he had talked, and her replies had been written notes on a grubby piece of paper. Searching the floor, he spotted a patch if shimmering gray in the gloom. As he picked it up and unfurled it, the letters were illegible. But he didn't have to read it to know every line.

I love you, brother, she had written. And he had only shrugged. Not replied, until weeks later when it was almost too late. Ah, well. It didn't matter now. He said it, and she knew. Always knew that he loved her too.

Finding wood chips and stashes of kindling, he scattered it across the floor. It was a shame on all the tools, but couldn't be helped. Selfishly, he did want to see them in the hands of another. At least the pantry was empty. Their stores had been the first to be handed out when the Palace fell. Weaver thought him heartless at times, when he didn't want to lend things out or give food away. Now she had nothing to complain about.

Into the hallway he went, emptying the rest of the lamps onto the floor. Splashed some on the walls too, just for good measure. He couldn't remember when they had all been lit at the same time. If ever. It had been many years since this stopped being a real home, but now... now it was only a monument over everything that had been lost.

Strangely, the kitchen was harder to look at. It hurt to strew debris onto his own painstakingly swept floors. It felt beyond strange to empty the last bottle of oil onto the pile of wood by the hearth, and for a long time he stood with flint and steel in hand, staring at the table. A few ningo feathers had fallen to the floor and wedged in under a leg. They had been plucking them, and argued about the bar. Was it really only a season ago? Now Deepfrost was halfway through. Funny, how much could change in such a short time.

How many funerals could a person attend, before they turned nineteen? Korbin was relieved that he wouldn't have to find out.

Crouching down, he struck flint to steel and watched the spark spring to life. Twice, three times; then it caught on a piece of tinder and flared up. For a moment he watched, ready to keep going if it looked about to die down. But as it grew, it reached a pool of oil. With a roar the flame rose up, greedily consuming the fuel, and with a sigh Korbin leaned back against the cupboards behind him. Staggered, and slumped onto the floor.

As he watched the fire spread, he recalled how the light of it had danced over his sister's face as she held out a palm towards him.  It had brought light to her dark eyes, and shimmered over the dark braid. She had been smiling, even though her eyes were sad.

"May we burn brightly," he whispered, hoarse and ragged. His breath hitched, tears welled up... and he finally felt how something snapped inside. Throwing back his head the last Hale let out a howl of pain, loud and piercing, not caring who might hear. Again and again he screamed, until the vocal chords tore and cracked and the taste of blood filled his mouth. The fire was rising high all around him now, roaring and consuming what was left of his life.

It was only as it should.
Thousand voices dead at my feet
Now I'm gone, now I'm gone, now I'm gone
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Loren wasn't sure what, exactly, had brought him to the Hale home, Astra in tow. Perhaps he simply couldn't believe Weaver was gone, and was hoping to find some sign of her. Or at least some keepsake to remember her by.

Regardless of the reason, as he approached, the building went up in flames. Even worse, he could hear someone crying out from within, an anguished sound that tugged at the healer's heartstrings. Immediately, Loren sprang into action, leaving his luxere companion outside to bleat in a concerned tone.

Water practically exploded out of him, boosted by the mageglass he wore at all times. It doused the flames as he moved into and through the building, trying to find the source of the wail. Eventually, he stumbled upon Korbin.

Without trying to speak, the healer just bent down to try and lever the other man up. Loren was far stronger than he looked, and if he was able to get his hands on Korbin, the healer would sent a pulse of healing magic through the other man. Using every means necessary, Loren would try to drag Korbin out of the home.
you are lost, hope is gone
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Ice and fire. The foundations of life in Halo. Born by crackling fires to live in defiance of the ice, in acceptance and symbiosis with the eternal winter. Fire was the ally, the great saviour, the greatest gift awarded at the end of a life. It was a fitting end for someone like him.

As the heat rose, his frostbitten skin blistered and charred. Smoke entered his lungs and as he coughed, the pain from broken ribs intensified. His thoughts grew hazy, pain and grief mingling as consciousness began to fade. And in this moment, in the midst of agony, a peace came over Korbin.

Finally. It would finally end.

Then water erupted from some source veiled in smoke and falling debris. It pushed flames aside, doused them in places though it was far too late now to save the building or anything inside it. The fire had spread to the upper floor and the roof; it was only a matter of time before it came crashing down.

Loren's figure appeared before him, and that momentary peace fell away, outrage and dismay replacing it. "No!" he growled, a bloodstained snarl of broken chords. He meant to move away from the hands that reached for him, but he was barely conscious and he couldn't move. The healing was unwelcome. The loss of pain and the clarity of mind was the cruelest insult he could ever have imagined, and he fought Loren every step of the way towards the exit.

"Don't! Let me go!"

Possibly it had been a mistake to heal the raven first; he hurled a fist towards Loren's face, ripped free from the grasp and tried to run back into the fire.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Taking the punch, grunting as he did, Loren just shook his head at Korbin's request. Still trying to douse the flames, the healer narrowed his eyes as the other man fled. Reaching out, Loren shaped his magic, taking the water and freezing it in a wall to block off Korbin's route. At the same time, the healer tried to encase the other man's feet in ice.

However, Loren didn't trust his magic or Korbin. Reaching out for the other man, the healer sent words slamming through their link. No. You owe me a debt and I'm claiming it here and now. Loren's thoughts came through with as much command and authority as he could muster as he tried to force Korbin to stop through sheer willpower.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
The wall of ice appeared in his path and heedless of his own safety he slammed himself into it, only to bounce off. Again and again he crashed against it, until his feet were locked in place and he could no longer move. Even then he kept slamming his fists into the ice, again and again and again, until blood splattered down from split knuckles. Korbin screamed, raged against the confines that kept him tethered to this life he didn't want.

Beyond the wall, his home kept burning, the flames rising higher and higher as they consumed everything he had ever loved. Wishes and dreams, every hope for every future they had ever pictured; it was all ashes now. And Korbin felt bereft as he had to watch it burn without him.

"Take your debt and shove it up your arse," he growled, voice cracked and hoarse from the screaming and the smoke. He physically tossed the head as if it might dislodge the voice from inside his mind. "I don't care, let me go!"

He fought the restraints, turned his furious pounding to the ice around his feet instead. The fire. He had to return to the flames. Before they burned out. Before he was left behind.

The boy looked every bit the animal caught in a trap, wild and raving with teeth bared, no reason left in his eyes.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Korbin might've been more desperate, and been left with nothing to lose. But Loren was stronger, and probably more stubborn at the end of the day. So, hesitating for only a moment, he moved forward.

Arms encircling the other man from behind, the healer would simultaneously try to pin Korbin's arms and hold the other man tight. As Loren did, he made soothing noises at the back of his throat, and his mind sent a feeling a pleading towards the other man.

"Don't. Don't do this. Please." The healer's voice was tight with grief, even as he tightened his grip on Korbin, not willing or able to let go. Healing magic poured from Loren again, this time not only targeting the other man's physical wounds, but also his mental ones.

Those would be nearly impossible to treat, though.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
Please. As if he might relent just becasue someone asked nicely. Korbin thrashed against the arms that closed around him, tried to throw elbows, knock his own head back into Loren's, twisting and shifting; he used every trick in the book. But it wasn't enough. He hadn't eaten or slept properly for days, too busy caring for others to tend to himself. And though the healing mended the broken ribs and the frost damage and the burns, even though his vocal chords mended and the smoke was banished from his lungs, there was no replenishing the lost energy. He kept raging and healing and raging again until there was nothing left, until only the madness of grief kept him moving.

From the house came a creaking, rumbling sound. In a great shower of sparks the roof caved in, and sooty tongues of flame shot up against the night black sky. As the building crumbled, all the fight went out of the boy. With a wordless keening cry he watched his life go up in flame. His legs gave way.

If the healing reached his mind was hard to say. Probably it did. But it made no difference. There was no filling the void in him, no replacing what had been lost. Crumpled on the ground, Korbin screamed out the pain he now had to face head on, and it was too much. Just too much.

He could cry for the rest of his life, and it wouldn't even begin to ease the pain of this loss.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Nothing Korbin could do would get Loren to release the other man. As the house finally fell, the healer winced. However, he was solely focused on the man still struggling in the Loren's arms. As Korbin collapsed, the healer followed, sinking to his knees as well.

Holding the other man more gently now, Loren tapped his summoning magic. A phoenix appeared overhead, banishing the cold as best it could. It added its keening and mournful cry to the young man's, even as the healer's tears streamed down his cheeks. However, his own cries were silent, though the sobs still raked through his body.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
The cold was a distant thing. So was the heat. In this borderline between frozen wasteland and blazing inferno, the temperature was almost pleasant. Snow thawed and froze around his knees. Melted by the fire. Solidified by the brutal climate.

Time was a distant thing too. It had ceased to matter. Who could say how long he howled out his grief to the uncaring stars? Who kept track? Safrin was busy elsewhere. Vi never showed his face in these parts. Mort only waited, with open arms, and somewhere, he thought Ludo and Eirachi might be rolling dice over the outcome of this day. A point to each if he wound up dead. Two if he dragged someone else down with him. A new round if he lived. Rae stood judge over the game, content to merely watch. Frey had grown bored a long time ago, and Caido slept.

The gods didn't care. He didn't care either. No one else should. So why did they pretend? It would make no difference whatsoever if he lived or died and he had no wish to continue to drudge on in this pointless existence. Weaver... Gods, she was gone. What could possibly be worth seeing or doing or feeling without her there to witness it?

"Why did you stop me? Why!?" he demanded of Loren, between the broken sobs. "There is no use, just let me go..." They were not friends. Not family. They had no history or ties. Just a debt that couldn't have been more empty and pointless in this moment.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren's expression tightened with grief. Throat half-choked, he tried to express his own feelings of grief as well as provide what little comfort he could. "Because I care about you, dumbass." The words were hot, as burning as the tears that ran down his cheeks and the fiery phoenix that circled and cried out overhead.

"Because I didn't save your life just to watch you throw it away. Because this won't solve anything. Won't do anything but cause people more grief." Taking a deep breath, he closed his eyes. "But most of all because I know if Weaver were here right now, she'd try to stop you too. And probably have quite a few choice words for you as well." He continued holding Korbin, not willing or able to let go.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
It wasn't meant to solve anything. He didn't care if people grieved. Whether Loren cared or not was completely uninteresting and it didn't stir him in the slightest. Let them cry. Let them burn, and freeze, and starve a hundred times over. Halo was nothing without her. Life was pointless without her. He was nothing, no one. And her name on someone else's lips was the worst kind of torment.

"She's not here. She's not coming back. She will never speak again."

Tears kept streaming down his face. He let them freeze on the skin, powerless to stop them. Didn't want to. Didn't Loren see how pointless it was? The sun would rise and Weaver would not be in this world, and every day that followed after this one would be empty.

Korbin made a feeble attempt to free himself from the restraining arms. The contact made him feel sick. The mere act of feeling anything in itself was loathesome. He was supposed to be burning now. The end had been taken from him, and every second of continued existence was agony. Why would Loren subject him to this? If he really cared he should let go, while the house still burned.

It wasn't too late yet.

"Let me go to her. Please."
the Firebrand

Change author:
Still holding Korbin, Loren nodded at the other man's words. Swallowing, the healer tried to speak past the lump in his throat. "I know." Taking a deep breath, he squeezed his eyes shut even as he pulled Korbin closer. "But you're here." The words came out quietly and more than a bit desperately.

"No." Loren's refusal was absolute. "I won't let you throw away your life like this." Opening his eyes, he clung to the other man. "If I have to kill myself keeping you alive, I will. Because I refuse to let there be more tragedy, more loss, after everything we've suffered."
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
And so he would be kept alive, out of some perverse need to make others less sad. What others? Bystanders and shallow acquaintances? People whose lives he barely touched, who might sigh and be wistful for a day or two, before they shrugged it off and then went on with their lives.

Wasn't it his life to do with as he pleased? So why then could he do anything at all with it, except end it? The one thing he knew with crystal clarity that he would not regret. That would not bring more pain, more anguish, more suffering. Already he ruined everything he touched, so it would be a kindness to those 'everyone's if he wasn't around.

Korbin didn't accept the answer, and definitely didn't agree to it. But Loren was stronger than him, and wouldn't let go. As the fire consumed all the memories of what he used to love, he gave up. Slumped like a ragdoll into the healer's grasp, and didn't say anything more. Just stared at the flames, wishing he could join them.

If ever there was a hell, it must be living a life in Caido.
the Firebrand

Change author:
As Korbin finally gave up fighting, Loren couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief. This had taken more out of him than he'd realized. Magically, of course, but mostly emotionally and even physically. Raising one hand, he doused the last of the embers.

With one last look at the building that had been the Hale home—yet another home he'd briefly had and then lost, he reflected numbly—he eventually urged the other man to his feet. Not bothering to speak, the healer would hoist Korbin up and carry him if necessary. Whatever it took, Loren would do his level best to get the other man to the Kraai.
but you must go on
Loren
Base Code by Sky!