Hungry to do it all Again
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MORGAN
Some nights, I wish that my lips could build a castle
Some nights, I wish they'd just fall off
Morgan had not slept at all the night after she had been made Warden. She had tried; tossed and turned and stared out the window until the sky was beginning to be light outside: eventually she had decided it was a lost effort and gotten up, gone to a desk to begin to write, to plan.

There was so much to do it was overwhelming and it seemed making it all into an itemised list was going to be impossible for the near future. Instead she tried to think of where to begin. It was a cornerstone of her leadership style that she was not a lone figure, would not place herself above as the core decision maker; a council, then. Devoting her time to thinking of who would suit the positions best, eventually she came out with three names and three jobs.

For advisor, a general help and person to talk about her ideas with, she chose Elena. A woman with experience who had once worked with her father. Perhaps it was a little biased to let that be a part of the reason, but Morgan knew her father had never kept on guards not worth their salt and Elena had served for many years. Morgan knew how to talk to soldiers like herself.

For the people, a liason between the council and those in the community who might not want to approach, she chose Noah. The man had impressed her that first night after the gate breach when he had spoken at length about the families of all the guards: he had to be familiar with those in the Citadel. That kind of familiarity and closeness to the people was what she needed, someone to help bridge the gap between government and the people it was meant to serve.

Lastly, she wrote Chulane 's name down for Agriculture and food. While Halo had a good amount of hunters and imports of food now coming in from other regions, how to create new resources was always a concern in the snowy and often desolate climate. She considered him to be a decent enough sort and knew he had some experience in matters of farming: hopefully he might be able to use his expertise.

That was her council, with the possible addition of Loren if he chose to join. Morgan had sent out a younger guard at dawn with the message for each of them to arrive at the building that was for now serving as a council meeting place until the real one could be built, an old community hall used for various small town events. Waiting for the people who could very soon become her most trusted to arrive, Morgan sat and thought.
But I still wake up, I still see your ghost
Oh Lord, I'm still not sure, what I stand for
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 10 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 49 - Endr: 51 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
every time i think i've finally made it, i learn i'm farther away than i have ever been before
The summon came to him early in the day, when he was working to repair part of his home that had suffered damage from Eirachi's wrath. He and Delphine had managed to make it safe and warm inside the home with repairs thus far, and now Noah was moving on to the more cosmetic repairs. After reading the summons, Noah set to work on his plan for the day. He would continue to work until it was time for him to meet with the new Warden of Halo.

He traveled to the hall in his reindeer form. He chose it more readily when he was outside than being in his human form. The body of his shift gave him a higher tolerance to the cold, and he was able to stay out much longer and do more things than he would just bundled up. By now he was sure that the people of Halo recognized the reindeer strutting through town for who it was, but it was still a good comic relief to see children's faces pressed up against windows to watch him walk down the frozen street. He would take any pleasure he could in this time of grief.

Shifting just before entering, Noah pressed through the door. Inside was warm and spacious, though his eyes traveled quickly to find the Warden. He closed some of the distance between them and offered a handshake for greeting--he wanted to speak to her, but was not confident that his curse had been broken. So, instead, he offered his hand and a smile for her.

NOAH
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 14 - Int:
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Whimzi Offline
Change author:
MP: 35
CHULANE

He had been surprised to receive it, but humbled all the same. Always one to want to help, to support and usher in greatness, he readied himself for the meeting with a mix of emotions. He was touched to have been noticed, but also plagued with a nagging insecurity - he was an Outlander, and while the residents had been welcoming and supportive of him, it was only to an extent. He wanted to know at what capacity he would be allowed to enact changes he had slowly identified as needed during his time here, what sort of push-back would he receive from them?

At least she seemed open to hear him, his advice, his ideas. That was the first necessary, crucial step.

With a kiss to Kia he departed their little cottage, making his way to the small hall that was not so far away. He walked in his human form, his leopard form not really suited to these climes, though he did recognise the outline of the reindeer in his path ahead, and the man-shaped silhouette it shifted to as it neared the same location he was headed for. Noah, he recalled, and nodded in idle agreement at Morgan's choice.

He arrived without much aplomb, offering a kind smile and a nod to both Noah and Morgan as he entered, removing his gloves to offer handshakes to each in turn as well, before finding himself a seat. From his pockets, he plucked free a pencil and a notebook, its pages already filled with various writing and sketches, plans that he was keen to discuss with a willing audience when the appropriate time arose.
Freedom is secured not by the fulfilling of one's desires
but by the removal of desire
Elena Rimewind
Tanner

Age: 59 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 0 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 5 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: mercedes Offline
Change author:
Elena
wise men speak because
they have something to say
To say Elena was surprised by the request would have been an understatement. Leadership in any capacity was something she'd never sought, never strove for. In had been suggested -- before grief made her reckless and the consequences tore her down -- that she seek the Captain's position. She'd immediately refused even the idea. She was a soldier, too straightforward and honest, unsuited for the politics of leadership. their were others for whom the role was a better fit. People who were clever with tactics, who knew how to talk to the citizens without reverting to the practicality of a soldier.

But it was one thing to seek out power. It was another to accept a duty.

The acting Shields were all but gone, the Citadel's protections pocked with more holes than a Longheat ice-melt. The government was in shambles with the betrayal of one leader -- for what was Neron's reckless bargaining but a betrayal of the people's trust? -- and the death of another. The citizens had so many reasons to distrust anyone of thing that tried to replace them, but, by that same token, someone had to pick up the pieces. Morgan had been offered herself to the alter of leadership and her people had accepted. It was her right to choose who would help her. Elena might not have considered herself one of the better choices, but to refuse that duty now, when taking it could do some good, was cowardice and a dishonor to the Warden and their people.

So she walked through the snow to the temporary council seat, entering in a gust of icy air to see that she was the last one to arrive. Shucking gloves and puling down her hood, she walked forward, cane tapping in step, her limp barely visible. "Warden. I am at your service." She fought against the urge to salute, nodding instead, before turning and offering greetings to her fellow advisors and taking a seat.
fools because
they have to say something
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
whatever comes, let it come
what stays, let it stay
Slipping into the room with Astra peeking out shyly behind him, Loren scanned those already assembled. He knew all of them except for one woman. Saluting Morgan, he spoke in a quiet voice. "Warden." With that, he went towards the stranger.

Holding out a hand, he nodded at her. "I don't believe we've met. I'm Loren." With that, he went to the last empty seat. Taking it, he pulled out a journal and some charcoal. His companion settled at his feet, and he reached to stroke her fur absently as he waited for the meeting to begin in earnest. He didn't plan to say much, just listen.
what goes, let go
LOREN
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
MORGAN
They all arrived and Morgan was relieved by that; she had worried that with the intense stress of the last few days someone might just choose to walk away; she didn't know that she'd be able to blame them if it had happened. Standing to greet everyone she looked to them each in turn, stood with her back to the table and her hands resting back on it.

"Hello. You've each been called here because I've selected you for my cabinet. I thought it would be good to have you all gather and know each other and why you were chosen." She didn't really know how close to each other they all were, or if they all knew what the other would do, so an introduction was in order for each.

"Loren, as I'm sure you all know, was the Grand Healer prior to...last week." Everyone knew what happened; Morgan was sure she didn't need to repeat it. "He is a great healer, without whom I would not be stood here today and he has distanced himself from the family name that caused us all our issues: I expect everyone to respect him as a member of our council." She knew public opinion of the Launceleyns was at an all time low, but hopefully everyone would follow this instruction and try to be decent; she did not have time for drama.

Next she looked to Noah. "Noah has been chosen to be our Public Affairs chief. This means he will deal with community issues, bring them to me, and act as a liason between the people and the council."

Then, to Chulane. "Chulane has experience with farming and I believe we need an expert on hand to assist us in growing crops and increasing our food production. It is a challenge in our climate but with magic and creativity, I think it will be possible to find new solutions." What those were, would come down to Chulane.

Finally, Elena. "Elena served in our guard for many years with my father and I value her opinion and wisdom. I have asked her to be an advisor for general affairs: if anyone would want to address something with me but cannot find me or for any reason does not want to speak to me about it, please ask her."

With all the roles laid out, she smiled between each of them. "Well. I know this is a hard time, but I hope this is a start of something better for our Citadel. If anyone has anything they would like to put on our list of tasks, please inform me now."
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 14 - Int:
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Whimzi Offline
Change author:
MP: 35
CHULANE

He still felt like an oddball, an outsider. He was still so new here, even if he had been working hard to become 'one of the locals', to do his part in giving back to those who had taken him in. He had learned the system of 'trading' relatively quickly, had earned a reputation for being reliable, honest and hard-working. He had also made his past no secret, happily talking about his knowledge of running a farm or treating injuries of livestock (not that there was much livestock in Halo).

He heard the introductions with a kind smile and welcoming nod to each who arrived after him, recognising Loren easily and not hiding the small frown of concern he had for the man. It wasn't exactly a secret that he and Weaver had given into their feelings for one another about the same time he and Kia had, and Chuy just wanted to make sure the man was coping, as much as one could when faced with such a crisis.

Morgan seemed to open the table to talking after her round of introductions and explanations. Chulane opened his notebook, to a drawing of a large structure he had made, and laid it out in the middle of the table for all to see.

"Hello everyone, and thank you for asking this of me, Morgan. I hope I do not disappoint.

"I have something I would like to put to all of you. I am well aware that true progress won't be able to be begun until Flowerbirth, but I am also aware that it is going to take the support of everyone in the region, not just those in this room, to go ahead."

He handed out copies he had made of his notes, his proposal, to make it easier for everyone to follow.

"While it is definitely critical that we work on establishing crops as well, I feel that there is an untapped resource already in Halo. Ningos.

"With an appropriate barn to house and keep them safe in, and by selecting the right stock to breed, I think within a few generations we could be producing larger birds, that could give us more meat, feathers, eggs and, uh, manure, which we could make use of."

Obviously his plan was a big one, but he had put a lot of time and effort into researching every angle he could think of. He was keen to get the input from the others, to improve and refine his idea, to secure a stable source of not only food, but wealth for the region.

---
Chuy's notes have this information:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/14zbq...sp=sharing
Freedom is secured not by the fulfilling of one's desires
but by the removal of desire
Elena Rimewind
Tanner

Age: 59 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 0 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 5 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: mercedes Offline
Change author:
Elena
wise men speak because
they have something to say
Elena took Loren's offered hand, giving him a nod and a small smile in return. "Elena. I know of you, Healer. It's good to finally meet you."

They all settled and the new Warden gave formal introductions. Her choices were well grounded in logic, it made sense to bring on Noah, another native of the Citadel, to be the contact with the people. With how much distrust people had for the previous regime, they needed to know that their leaders understood their hardships. And though Loren had been a part of that government, the Grand Healer was purportedly a man of morals. Not that his reputation would stop Elena from watching him with a measure of suspicion. He might have left his family, but it had been under extreme circumstances. Could he not just as easily change his mind?

Chulane was a surprising choice. The youngest chosen, an Outlander new to Halo, though he'd lived through and dealt with the recent troubles just as much as the rest of them. Hearing that he was a farmer had Elena's eyebrows heading toward her hairline, but she wouldn't let that surprise stop her from listening to him.

The idea of working with ningos was far from new at it's most basic. They were everywhere, after all, though most own by families or left to run somewhat wild. Chulane's idea was to... domesticate them en masse? Elena frowned thoughtfully.

"It certainly isn't a bad idea. Many families have their own birds, their feathers and eggs are already traded often. A barn wouldn't exactly be priority for Flowerbirth, unless we find ourselves with an abundance of idle hands." Which, considering the constant ebb and flow through the portal during the warmer seasons, wasn't such an unbelievable possibility.''

"On that note, what are the priorities for Flowerbirth? Nothing can be done during the Long Night, only fools brave that cold without desperate reasons, but we won't be locked away forever." She turned to look at Loren. "Your place of healing was in the Palace, was it not? Where are you treating people now?"
fools because
they have to say something
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 10 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 49 - Endr: 51 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
every time i think i've finally made it, i learn i'm farther away than i have ever been before
They came after him, and Noah greeted them each with a nod. This was an odd amalgamation of people to create a cabinet with, but he was interested to see what Morgan would do with each of them. Introductions came and went, and Noah sat with his new title. He rolled it over and over on his tongue, the words feeling so misplaced in his mind. He had always been Noah Olson, the hunter and now he was Noah Olson, Chief of Public Affairs. To say he did not know what to do with that was an understatement, in his mind. The reality was, Noah was perfect for this position. Despite his introverted nature, he had spent years crafting relationships with the people of Halo and knew almost all of them--if not by name, then more intimately. It was his work and efforts that kept a great deal of them fed, his door they knocked on in the middle of the night, his name they spoke when someone needed help. Noah would serve the people to the best of his ability.

Chulane was ready to speak up when given the platform. Noah read over the text he had been given with a furrowed brow, jaw knit closely together. He listened to the outlander intently, running the possibility through his head. While the citizens of Halo had seen some luxere and other herd-animal shortages, they had never seen a ningo shortage. The birds seemed to populate by making eye contact with each other, which did make sense -- Chulane was no idiot, as confirmed by the level of work he had put into this presentation and project idea -- so he must have noticed how the birds lived and worked. Harnessing that populating power did not seem like such a bad thing. Even the hunter could get behind it -- while Noah felt such a thrill from his work on the tundra, keeping people alive and fed was always the bottom line. His face moved from curious to neutral, weighing the pros and cons in his mind.

Before Noah could interject, Elena spoke. He knew the woman mostly by reputation -- she was of the same generation as his parents. If he recalled, he was certain his mother and Elena had even had a friendship of sorts, but he couldn't be sure. His mother had been friendly with all she met, an anomaly in Halo. the ex-guard went on to question their priorities and motives, and Noah listened to her, too. So far everyone seemed to be quite outspoken. As the dark-haired woman questioned Loren, he looked to him. His face remained neutral as he looked at the fellow attuned, before looking back to Elena. He needed to let the conversation halt for the distant future, with his own thoughts. "We can make plans for Flowerbirth soon, but the highest priority is deciding how we are going to protect our people during Longnight." His eyes and body turned to look toward Morgan.

"Longnight always claims more lives than it needs to. As much as I, personally, don't want to, I think we should entertain the possibility of using the Academy as a shelter for our citizens." He leaned back in his chair, some, but his posture remained straight and solid, face glacial. "It was the only structure that was not susceptible to the Eirachi's rage, because of Zariah's actions."

NOAH
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
Each of her council came forward with their thoughts and ideas, plans and hopes - Morgan found herself swelling with a pre-emptive hope and gladness for her choices. They each clearly had a passion and were willing to work on what they had presented and she was thrilled to have them on board with her. With such a team, it all felt a little more possible.

Chulane's particular expertise all went a little over her head, but it sounded very scientific and good; hopefully it would help them to provide food and products more reliably in the future. "Anything you need for this work, please ask." She nodded, granting him permission to pursue it.

Elena asked to hear plans for Flowerbirth but Noah stated they should wait until the end of Longnight: Morgan fell somewhere in the middle. "The Academy would be a good location. We should send out a notice to all those in the Citadel that we will gather there, if they wish to have assistance over the Longnight. As for Flowerbirth..." She moved to address all of them.

"My plans are not yet fully formed, but I intend to rebuild our gate, hopefully stronger than before. Then I would like to see if we could find a way to keep the Citadel itself warmer during the harsher cold months: whether by magic or by some kind of practical method. Then..." She took a breath, tilted her head from side to side. "Hopefully by then we might have a better idea of how things are with the Ascended. I intend to hold a meeting with our people about the matter to gauge public opinion."

So, those were the plans. For the moment though there was Longnight, and she knew deeply how much that could ruin everything. "Thank you all for coming. We know what our jobs are: let's keep working as hard as we can."

--
Wrapping this for LN - since Crooks is absent, pretend Loren was never here. :- P

{FIN}