unlucky charms
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 14 - Int:
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
Every day's a little harder as I feel my power grow
It seemed luck wasn't on Delta's side.

Unlike the last time she had been cursed, she didn't come crying to her father. No. Instead she tried to keep it a secret- tried as hard as she could to simply avoid having to mention it to her father.

But then it became uncontrollable.

At night she had urges to come to the surface. In darkness the voice screamed to her and ordered her to go around, yanking her body like a puppet and making constant demands that had to be followed unless she dare continue to hear his taunting voice.

It was unbearable and she felt mad- she felt like she was a monster or a creature, not the mermaid she once identified as. It was far too much and she needed to come clean to her father- figure out if he had any idea how to help her. She had to go to him first before she dared to consider seeking a human who had spoken with the gods. Surely, he'd be able to save her before going to someone she could hardly even trust.

Swimming up to where her father resided, she called out through their bond Father. I need you. Please. Hopefully he wouldn't be too busy- and hopefully she wouldn't shift during their conversation.

Maru
Don't you know there's part of me that longs to go into the unknown?
DELTA
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Age: 40 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
some people are born with tornadoes in their lives
but constellations in their eyes
Maru has a routine in his kingdom, one that has lasted for a time now. There have been no wars, few internal issues, and aside from the new curiosity from those on land there has been no reason to change his ways. As such it is easy for Delta to find him when she does, no longer blinded by her last visit to the Shrines. Maru had been deeply relieved when it had passed, glad that it had indeed been a curse of sorts instead of a permanent affliction.

It seems he spoke too soon however, because Delta looks worn and haggard when she arrives in his doorway, the touch of her voice shaken and hesitant. He turns from his current work, setting it aside without a second thought to give his full attention to his only daughter. A pulse of his tentacles moving him away from his desk and closer to where she hovers uncertainly. I am here. What is wrong, child? Arms opening invitingly in case she seeks a more physical sort of reassurance.
others are born with stars at their feet
but their souls are lost at sea
Delta Ngata
Explorer

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Work was pushed aside and her father slowly made his way towards her, opening up his arms for her to come forward. Instincts kicked in and she started to swim forward but paused, eyes wide. What if.... what if she changed? What if the being inside her did something to hurt her dad?

I.... I went to a shrine again.... and gods, it all went wrong. Swimming forward she was more than ready to pull her father into a hug, to wrap her arms around him and ensure everything would be okay, but then her luck ran out.

As she was swimming forward, Delta suddenly shifted, in her place took over a gigantic great white shark. Flailing her fins around, Delta tried to not get too close to her father. It's still me! I'm sorry! Her voice cried out, finally able to speak to someone in this form for the first time since she acquired it. It was awful and just terrible and if she was able to cry, she'd be sobbing her eyes out.

They cursed me. They cursed me again.

Delta rolled a 17.
delta
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Age: 40 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Her hesitation causes a frown to pull at his lips, bit he obligingly lowers his arms and slows before he reaches her. Whatever has her so ill at ease, Maru won't force it to the surface just yet. Usually she is quite forthcoming after all, even when she has made a mistake, and sure enough the confession comes thrumming in desperate throes and tones across their link.

Again he motions to embrace her as she moves closer, only to startle as her swift transformation - something he's used to in any other circumstance - ends in a creature he does not recognize as his daughter. Her flailing and the distress in her assurance drives him to action, gentle hands finding her underbelly and helping her remain a level, horizontal position as he would for any other disoriented shark. Keeping his hand moving slowly to keep her gills open and moving. Oh, my girl. Why do you seek them so ardently when the spirits remain stubbornly occupying their shrines? Surely her first curse had made a lasting impact?

Maru continues moving with her wherever she goes, waiting for either another transformation or merely to help her keep her physical bearings in an unfamiliar form. Purpose and happiness are not found in meeting a deity, Delta. You only risk yourself more the harder you pursue them, so why?
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Hands grasped for her and she found herself relaxing, no longer swishing around in the water like a wildfire. It was her father, she was okay.

And okay... she sort of was. He managed to straighten her out out, which is a mighty task seeing as she's a pretty gigantic shark at this moment. Slowly, she swims forward and continues to move in a small, circling motion, not trying to travel too far but clearly too anxious to really attempt to sit still in this form.

His words weren't harsh, but they also weren't completely comforting. Delta remained quiet for a bit, listening to him and attempting to construct some sort of logical response, but she failed. I... I don't know... you seemed like you knew a lot about the gods... and I guess I just really wanted to find out for myself where I fall. I've only heard opinions and I really wanted to see for myself. Her voice softens and she's glad that she cannot show any facial expressions. I also... wanted the gods to help me... I wanted to be big so that I could be strong and protect myself. I feel so small and I just wanted to be big- and look how that ended. The words had bitten her in the chest, leaving behind a giant monster in its wake.

But, there was something else. I... also hear a voice... he is the spirit who spoke to me... he makes me stressed and sometimes forces me to go to the surface.
delta
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Change author:
As he waits for her response he keeps her underbelly perched in his hands, helping to keep her proper side up in a form she was not born with. When her answer comes, she sighs softly, agonizing once more over the affair of having a teenage daughter who still has so much to learn. What I know has come from years of experience, hard-earned and slowly gained. If you rush headlong into this endeavor, careless of the results, do you think you will impress them when you finally meet them? Her fortitude and stubbornness, perhaps, though they may be just as likely to scorn her for her childish insistence.

There is much you can do to be strong that does not come from a God. Have you trained with our soldiers? Have you asked me for tips on military defense and stories of war? Maru does not outright condemn her, wanting to make her truly think, to get her to see from another side. The gods do not reward those who do not show effort, intent. If you want to learn of them, would you waste their time asking them directly when you could ask your fellows? Had he been this way as a teenager? Gods help his parents if he had. And for a moment he longs for Delta's mother, for someone else to help ease the burden, to not have to be both good and bad cop all the time.

The last revelation is...concerning. A dual-edged curse? Only the surface? Or does he make you seek the land itself? One is far more dire than the other.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
She remains quiet for a bit, understanding that her father is probably right. I- I don't know. I wanted to know which god would best suit me... and I wanted to strive towards helping that god.... I don't even know how to begin with impressing them and it feels impossible that I'd ever even meet one at this point. Three times she had visited a shrine and not once did a god appear. Maybe her father was right, maybe the gods wouldn't like how she had been behaving recently.

Maru is right in a few ways, but he also doesn't understand why she wants the gods in specific. People are biased... and I wanted to know genuinely who is right for me... I'm sorry I never asked you for help. I thought that I could just immediately be better if I had a better shift. I wanted to be helpful and- She cuts herself off and flutters her fins nervously. Training felt intimidating and she didn't even want to try: she wanted immediate success.

Just before she could explain all she had learned about her curse, the shark started to move and she shifted back to her normal mermaid form. A deep sigh escapes her lips and she finds herself swimming towards her dad, grasping him for a hug. It's... sort of. She lowers her head, too scared to look him in the eyes. I can always hear him.... he doesn't like darkness or me being so deep in the water. When it's light out I can come here without too much problem, but at night he forces me to go towards light. I'm so scared constantly and he tells me things. And he makes me want to go away from the water. Being away from the rocks or surface or shore is so so scary. It's a lot to say at once and it all comes spilling out. Everything she had been holding back was unleashed on her unsuspecting father who could only watch as she tried to not break down in tears.

Delta rolled a 3! so she's a normal person again
DELTA
Maru Ngata
Merfolk Leader

Change author:
It is hard, to have to be the good and bad forces of nature in raising a child. To be the one that exhibits disappointment, and the one that uplifts and comforts, all at the same time. He wonders if he has failed as a father, if his daughter seeks out purpose and meaning in deities at her own physical and mental expense. Best suit you? Gods of life, death, nature? They are all-encompassing, Delta. They are not so small as to be contained in your mortal worldview. You should respect them equally, and come to worship one depending on what you cherish most. And you will only discover that through living life, through introspection and experiences. Chastising her so continually is not normally his way, but perhaps he has allowed her to roam too freely in her teenage years. If this is the product of his rearing, he is a little saddened, and feels as if he should have been the one to perish instead of her mother.

Gods are biased too, Delta. If that is your best argument, then you certainly have no place pursuing them at all. As she shifts back, he pulls away, arms crossing over his chest and inky hair floating like a halo of despair around his crown. He releases an arm to hug her back, but it does nothing to soften the chiseled look of disappointment on his face. I have always supported your adventurous soul, but you are exhibiting a childish greed and selfishness that has now become your downfall. I am disappointed in you, daughter. Maru sees no point in concealing the truth of his emotions, even if it may cut at her, especially in her emotional state.

But he is not a cruel father, and her concerns are well-founded. He won't ignore them, even if he is disappointed in her recklessness. It is scary, and you have reason to be frightened child. But if he cannot physically compel you, then you are capable of being restrained. Locked in, tied down. Whatever it takes to keep you safe. It will not be easy, but it is an option. Already he is envisioning alternatives, plans for the encroaching sunless days.
Delta Ngata
Explorer

CLIFFORD - Regular - Hel
Change author:
Maru knows far more about the gods than anyone Delta knew- and he was right. He was right about everything. And at what point does one appear to me... in that case? How long did it take for you to figure out who you aligned with the most? There was a hint of her trying to distract and relax the situation for a moment, clearly growing more and more overwhelmed as they spoke.

Gulping down, Delta nodded and strained to maintain any sort of eye contact. Yes... I didn't really consider the bias held by the gods... when I had asked a human, he told me he was biased... that everyone was biased... I should've come to you first before I sought them out alone. It seemed the most wise thing now that she reflected on it. The harsh words pierced her skin and she knew she had to be mature- she couldn't show sadness or anything because then she'd only prove every single word that left his mouth. I'm sorry that I have disappointed you, father... I want to be good. I never wanted to be selfish- I'm sorry. It was all she could think of to say, desperate to have her father accept her and see her as something worth while. She wasn't anything like her mother, she knew that, but she wanted him to at least see that there was hope for her to do well.

There is still some understanding and it helps Delta to somewhat relax, even for a brief moment. I understand.... it does get easier when I see light... a lot easier when I'm closer to the surface. Otherwise it feels like my body is pulling on me... like someone is tugging at your hair, except it's all over. Finally she cant stand it any longer and she fully turns her head to the side.

I'm sorry.... I promise you I will not go to the gods alone aga- for a long time.... I will try to learn more, but I know now that I.... I went too fast. And I was only thinking about myself.
DELTA