Bluest Blue
.Matéo Alvarez
Fisherman

Age: 37 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 0 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 7 - Luck: 4 - Int:
Played by: Dyn Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
In the middle of the night
Did you think I'd be alone
Mateo had long since finished his marketing stint in the Haulani port and retreated to his home away from home, The Hanged Man. Sales that day had been minimal and the rest of his catch was either traded for his own dinner or a few drinks at the bar. The pocket change he had made paid for the other drinks he insisted on nursing through the wee hours of the night.

He wasn’t quick to admit how he avoided his home even years later past his wife’s death, convinced that she’s just out of the corner of his eye whenever he is there. Those that stopped by the local bar were sure to see him here on more than one occasion during the week, either sitting at the bar by himself or taking his drink to go and heading for the beach.

This night hasn’t seen much movement on his behalf, staying squarely in the bar seat. Any moving from it too soon and he’s more likely to fall flat on his face than shamble out of there with his dignity still intact-- whatever was left of it. As was his usual, he kept to himself with a glass of whiskey he sipped to keep busy while scratching at the scuffed bar tops with nails chewed down to nubs.

"Hey... I'll take another one, keep." It's slurred but he sets his empty glass down with enough force to get the bartender's attention.

Waiting patiently for you
to come home
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
HARPER
Even the darkest and loneliest of nights do not find Harper in the depths of a bottle. Not that it hasn't called to him like the world's most convincing siren in the wasteland hours of twilight. Perhaps if Harper was a stronger or better man, he would drown his sorrows in double malt until it all hurt a little bit less. The problem is that Harper can never relinquish that strict hold upon himself, for fear of the exact levels of danger and harm he can create. Instead, he has learned to live with the tidal currents of agony that life sees fit to toss at every man, heedless of origin or morals. Sometimes that means breaking and splitting the skin of his knuckles, the palms of his hands, on sandbags that split and combust in grand displays beneath his battle-hardened fists. Sometimes that means staying awake crying in the dark, silent and motionless. Coping mechanisms differ from soul to soul.

Which is precisely why, at first, Harper thinks nothing of the solitary figure sat alone at the bar when he arrives. He orders his own singular drink - not ale, because he misses the fruity concoctions of his world and the sugary hellbenders they could send him on, but the closest they have is wine - and hesitates as he takes in the seats at the bar. There is something about the man that makes him pause. Call it a sixth sense, or empath abilities, or merely a stroke of curiosity. Harper isn't the type to question his gut instincts, so he slides onto the barstool next to the man and gently sets his own glass upon the bar. "It's on me if you'll keep me company for an hour or so," he offers after overhearing the request. The man looks a few too many deep, but kindness runs too thick in Harper's blood; he can't stop the man from drinking more, but he can ease the financial burden in some way.
this is your ocean, an ocean of night

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
.Matéo Alvarez
Fisherman

Age: 37 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Matéo hasn't paid much attention to anything but the glasses set in front of him for the past few hours that he'd been there. There was no need to if everything he needed was right in front of him. A bite and a burn down the back of the throat that leaves him hoarse the next morning. A reminder of what he has lost in an effort to forget, even if it culminates in his own slow self-destruction.

He almost doesn't look up when he hears someone speaking next to him but then that voice is offering to pay for his drink and if the weightlessness in his pocket is any indicator, well, he can't very well say no. He looks over to see a younger man, he thinks, it's a little blurry. With a glass of wine? Ooookay.

But there's something about him that seems familiar and the bartender has already set a glass in front of him. Matéo waves a hand dismissively in the general direction of the stool that the man is already sitting on. Details. Whatever.

"Can't refuse that offer." He clears his throat in an attempt to sound a bit more put together than his attire and lack of a sharp razor would suggest. "You live 'round here? Look familiar." Conversation isn't necessary when he has a drink in hand, but perhaps because he does, he pries further than normally inclined.

to come home
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
HARPER
The closer he gets, long legs perching on the lower rung of the barstool as he gets comfortable, the more familiar the man appears. He's admittedly a little rusty on facial recognition after some time in Caido, and he tries to be inconspicuous about the looks he gives the man. It's easy enough to hide in between the bartender pouring the new drink and taking payment from Harper. Even if the man walks away with one drink more to fill his belly and no conversation to speak of, it's not as if Harper has anything else to spend his money on these days. Despite being employed, he's still rather aimless. No wonder he ends up seated beside a stranger, practically buying conversation from the man.

At least said man seems amenable. It lessens the guilty feeling crowding inside his chest. That and the wine of course, which helps wash down any kind of moral dilemma he may feel. When the man finally fully faces him, Harper places him immediately. Ah, a patron of the Halenani then. "Um, yes," he flusters, scolding himself for it immediately after. Yes the man is quite ruggedly handsome, but if he's visiting a brothel the chances of him being interested in men is skewed in a bit of a biased way. Not that they don't have male entertainers of course, but Harper tries to be realistic. "I'm the bouncer at the Halenani. I think I've seen you there. But what do you normally do with your days?" Wanting to know what brings him here to this bar, what demons haunt his mind that he seeks so desperately to drown. But even Harper isn't stupid enough to ask something so raw and unforgiving. Gods know how he would react if the shoe was on the other foot.

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
.Matéo Alvarez
Fisherman

Change author:
Color rushes to his cheeks before the other can even finish his sentence, reddening cheeks already flushed with alcohol. Of course the bouncer was here. He wasn't a regular by any means, nor had he ever truly laid with another despite the payment exchanged, but surely they talked there. Surely, he knew the only shame he felt was based on the company he sought.

But this bouncer didn't seem interested in discussing work just then, and Matéo can't fault the man for it. He knew the private comings and goings of everyone on Torchline and he spared him for the time being. Relief dulls the fire in his face as the other man brushes over the subject entirely and sparing him from trying to explain his presence at the Halenani for anything other than what it seemed.

"Fishing. I start before you wake, sell fish to those that my wife knew better than I, and come here at the end of the day." His 'normal' day was easy to explain away in a simple sentence. There were no fairy tales for him to tell the younger man, nothing noteworthy that involved adventures or loves that take one's breath away.

Wake up, fish, drink, sleep, repeat.

"And yourself? The girls at the Halenani don't treat you right after work, eh?" Matéo may later deny it, but there's no doubting the appraising look he gives over the rim of his glass. One too many, he would perhaps say later. For now, he turns his body to face the man speaking to him. Perhaps even, to better appreciate the man speaking to him. If he already knew, perhaps there would be no harm done.

to come home
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
The man is correct, Harper has no intentions of dragging up private matters. Even if it wasn't part of his job description to hold in confidence the going ons of the brothel, Harper isn't one to judge either party engaging in consensual sex work. So instead he keeps his face serene, eyes firmly away from the flush he can see burning past the alcohol flush on the stranger's face.

"Shore fishing or a boat?" Genuine interest lights up Harper's expression, glad the man had not merely swallowed down his free drink and walked out. Again he wants to ask why; why here, every single night without fail? He clamps his teeth against his tongue to keep from asking, only to immediately make an undignified and embarrassed noise at the man's next implication. Now it's his turn for his cheeks to turn hot, spluttering his drink slightly and lifting a hand to stop from spraying it all over the bar. "U-Uh no, I don't...do one night stands regardless of gender. I'm just there to keep them safe. Not that it stops them from flirting." Ears, too, go pink at this rate recalling the whistles and comments made (mostly) in jest. "I know, a bisexual romantic at heart who works in a brothel walks into a bar. Qiote the setup for a joke."

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
.Matéo Alvarez
Fisherman

Change author:
"Uh, boat." Matéo was surprised the other was even remotely interested. There certainly wasn't a shortage of fishermen, being that they lived on the coast. He didn't think of his profession as anything worthy of interest. He certainly wasn't interested in it like his own father had been but it was still the hand he was dealt. He'd never thought of it as particularly exciting but the enthusiasm was at least encouraging as he sipped at his drink. "Lived here my whole life doing it, just like my father before me and so on."

He shrugged while watching the young man's face flush in return. It was more satisfying than he expected, mild amusement raising his brow. He hadn't meant to make the other trip over his words but he wasn't displeased with it. Matéo clears his throat and nods towards the wine he held. "Careful there."

A thoughtful hum passes from his lips as the man pauses. He was so open about his sexuality, not even a pause as he admitted his preference. It was refreshing, if unexpected. Another sip of his drink as he listens quietly. He's more than content to let the other do the talking, taking his time with the drink as compared to the previous ones. Perhaps the company wouldn't be so bad tonight.

"What's the punchline to the end of that joke then? The Hanged Man isn't the most alluring spot, Mr. Romantic."

to come home
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
Harper leans a little closer, all the more interested by the simple answer. "What's it like? I've gone swimming but never stepped foot on a boat, I ended up living in a city after my childhood and never had a chance." Though after hearing about seasickness he hadn't been inclined. Now, living on these sunny shores with all manner of vessels to watch striking across the ocean's surface, Harper is intrigued once more. "Do you like it though?" A profession passed down from a family line seems more burdensome than honorable in Harper's mind. Not that his parents likely expected the path he'd taken when he'd been abducted from the circus life after their deaths.

Wiping the small drops of wine that had coated his lower lip, Harper gives a playful glare at the amused chiding. "I wouldn't have to be careful if you wouldn't make such blunt comments." The underlying chuckle and the helpless tilt of his ever-smiling lips erases any misunderstanding the tilt of his brows might inspire. More embarrassed than offended.

His second attempt at drinking goes far smoother, and it helps cool the flush that had arisen in his face. "The punchline is 'and all he does is order a drink.' Drown those romantic woes over the lack of available prey." Emboldened by the scarcely-imbibed alcohol, he winks at the man. "Until today of course." Before he can potentially offend the man - he certainly has done that to a few straight men in his life - he turns and offers a calloused hand to shake. "Harper. A bit shorter than Mr. Romantic."

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
.Matéo Alvarez
Fisherman

Change author:
"Well, ah," What was it like? He couldn't remember a time that a boat wasn't involved in his life. Being on a boat was second nature to him by the time he was old enough to help out on the boat. "I guess it'd be easier to just show you but... it depends on the size of the boat. Mine, she's small. You feel every rock of the waves against her hull. But larger vessels... You'd hardly know you weren't on land if you didn't look around you." Asking if he liked it though...

"Just because you know something like the back of your hand doesn't mean it's right." He shrugged, thinking back to the distress he'd felt realizing that this was all that life had in store for him. "Didn't have much of a say, but it keeps me fed and a roof over my head. Can't ask for much more." Speaking back, following his own path, had never truly felt like an option. Not when he had a wife to care for so young.

Matéo almost smiles despite himself, bringing his drink to his lips at the last moment. If he weren't several drinks in he'd be taken aback by the forwardness of the other man, Harper, perhaps glance around to make sure it wasn't seen. But he is several drinks in and only leans in as he takes the others hand in his, a firm shake.

"Harper. That's fitting." Matéo is close to purring out the name, letting his hand linger over Harper's before setting leaning his elbow on the table and cradling his cheek in one hand as he kept his eyes on the younger man in front of him. "'m Matéo. I have to say that 'Mr. Romantic' has quite the ring to it though." While he may hide his smile, there's no denying the way his lips pull into a smirk.

to come home
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
If the man flounders for an explanation, Harper doesn't mind. It's more than enough to satisfy his curiosity, only for another to sprout in its place. Kaleidoscopic mind as easily entranced as it is distracted by further fantasies and speculations. "The last time I saw the ocean before I came here, I was so small it looked like the entire world simply ended with water." There's something soft and nostalgic to his tone, eyes far away as if seeing it all over again. Revealing this intimate, cherished memory with someone whose name he doesn't even know yet. "I'd hate to be bold so soon, but care to show me sometime?" That boyish, devil may care grin flirting across his lips immediately at the idea.

"An honest living. That's honorable." Harper won't disparage blue collar work, not when he'd been living hand to mouth most days as an acrobat in his youth. "But if you ever wanted to try something new, I'd help you. There's so much out here to try, I've barely scratched the surface myself. You seem more deserving of it than me." And what else does he have to spend his wages on? Adventure is all he has these days outside of his job. Maybe the man with the old, sad eyes will join him on one. Harper would like to see him without the weight of the world apparent on his shoulders.

Their hands meet in a firm shake, callouses apparent on both palms from years of hard work. Harper's ears go pink before his cheeks, a strangled sort of noise escaping that he turns into an awkward clearing of his throat at the smirking countenance that stares unblinkingly at him. "You're welcome to call me whatever you like," he teases back, trying to regain his footing - and his normal flirtations, harmless though they've always been in the past - and not appear like a waifish damsel. "Don't tell the workers at the Halenani though. They'd get mighty jealous." They're comfortable with him precisely because of his lack of interest in them, but they tease him relentlessly all the same.

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
.Matéo Alvarez
Fisherman

Change author:
"Are you from Caido?" Matéo had never left his home of Torchline, even after the portals had opened. While it was tempting, of course, to leave the warm sun and soft sand of Torchline for the contrast of Halo, or even the Hallowed Ground, he couldn't bring himself to leave everything he had ever known, not even for a day. But even though he only knew of so many areas of his own land, didn't mean there wasn't more out there. The mere thought sends a chill down his spine, anticipation in every bone of his body to leave the bar seat and do something with himself. The handsome strangers, no, Harper's, voice pulls him from his thoughts. "If you don't mind a sorry excuse for a boat then I suppose I wouldn't mind being a ferry." As if he could say no that smile.

Matéo blinks once, then twice, at the offer as he processes it slowly. Wh- Why- What? Hardly more than strangers, he has to look at his near-empty glass to make sure he hadn't downed more than he'd thought and started simply hallucinating kind bisexual men. "I don't think anyone deserves to go out and see the world more than another." His voice is soft, losing the initial gruffness if just for a moment. His hand lingers against Harper's before settling back to grip his drink. "Besides," He clears his throat, smirking as he turns his attention back to Harper from his glass. "I could only accept an offer like that if I were to call you mine."

The statement is followed by a wink, throwing back the last third of his drink right after. He wasn't in the business of accepting pity from strangers, except perhaps his regulars at the fish market who only tolerated his glare due to their friendship with his late wife. But when it came to business and pleasure, then the only help he'd ever sought was from the Halenani. If a gay panic could be considered 'help' anyway, as most sessions seemed to end.

"I won't tell the Halenani if you don't." He glances at Harper out of the corner of his eye as he flags down the bartender for another round between the two of them.

"Better drink faster to catch up with that fruity drink of yours."

to come home
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
"No, I didn't have a choice in being brought here. Outlanders, I think they call us? But I'm doing my best to form a life here now." Difficult, in the wake of his depressive spell after Ludo's revelation, but Harper believes he is slowly making progress. Starting a new life is difficult even if he's not that old. In some ways he envies Matéo for his overly simplistic life - at least things like this didn't happen to him. At least his smile holds no traces of that slight bitterness, eager at the idea of sailing. "I'd be excited to sail in a cardboard box, I certainly won't judge whatever vessel you have." He had bought a surfboard upon arriving in Torchline, and while he's physically fit enough to make it quite far past the waves, it's never quite the same. Not quite the total escape from land and reality that he fantasizes sailing to be.

The gruff denial makes Harper give a huff of a laugh, leaning on the bar top. "No, but everyone should have the opportunity to break free from their various chains and grasp that which could make them truly happy." Sapphire eyes go a bit distant as he speaks, hands playing idly with his drink, incapable of ever remaining still. It's perhaps an optimist's dream, but if the world won't allow such openings, Harper has always been devoted to making them for other people with his own strength and determination. If he can do that for Matéo, he will. So consumed with his own thoughts, he chokes on the next sip he takes as the man's boldness comes blatantly through. Heat suffuses through his freckled cheeks immediately, staring wide-eyed at the man as he fumbles his drink back to the table and swallows hard.

"I didn't take you as the type to be so forward, I'll have to readjust my flirting technique," he manages to reply smoothly enough once the alcohol stops burning his throat. Maybe a tad hoarse, and his face is still definitely pink, but if Matéo wants to be bold then he'll meet the man head on. Though clearly he's far from matching the fisherman in the alcohol realm, watching as the bartender brings another round before his own glass is finished. Used to being teased for his choices, he sticks his tongue out childishly and laughs. "At least I can savor it, not everything needs to be gulped down in an uncivilized manner." Humor lights up his eyes like fireflies, dancing and ephemeral. Matéo is far from uncivilized, of course, but the jibe is one of his favorites when it comes to defending his 'girly' drink choices. Obligingly, he does gulp down the rest of it and slides the glass farther away for the bartender to take care of at his leisure. "Though I have no shame in saying I'm a lightweight. Be careful what you ask for, or you'll end up having to carry me out of here."

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
.Matéo Alvarez
Fisherman

Change author:
A cardboard box didn't seem like the most seaworthy of a vessel but hey, maybe things were different outside of Caido? His boat wasn't what catches Matéo's interest, though Harper's enthusiasm is begrudgingly warming him up to the idea of going out on the water for pleasure instead of business for once. While he may have agreed to it already, perhaps now he was opening himself up to the idea of actually enjoying the water for more than what it had been for so long— simply a means of survival for years he's lost count of.

"Do you dislike it here?" In Caido or Torchline, Matéo left it open to Harper to interpret. Either subject seemed to bring a sense of an almost uneasy wistfulness to the other man that took him away from the here and now. Perhaps he was being selfish, and maybe it was the alcohol talking, but that was the exact opposite of what Matéo wanted at that moment.

Dark eyes flit to the scarred curve of Harper's wrists for just a moment before taking his time making his way from his lips to his gaze, drinking in the flush on his pretty cheeks. He could certainly think of some chains he'd like to see him try and escape, talking the way he was. Any thoughts of those that might stare at two men so close are long-locked behind an alcohol-induced haze, a problem for tomorrow's Matéo, instead the young man's tongue catching his eye as he finds himself leaning in.

Harper speaks again and Matéo catches himself, pulling back further than perhaps is necessary to correct the near-intimate distance he'd created, taking a sip of his drink even as thoughts of what Harper's weight would feel like against him. His mind wandering to the idea of cradling him against his chest as they walked, one arm under his legs and another supporting his back, is enough to bring a flush of his own to his cheeks as he clears his throat to keep his train of thought from continuing. Setting the glass back down against the counter, perhaps a bit harder than necessary, even he raises a brow at the previous comment. "Uncivilized, eh? You haven't seen me at my best." Or worst, if taking his liver into consideration. "A little bird like yourself, putting away that much is impressive. Much more civilized than someone like me." His lips pull up, smirking despite himself, as he swirls his glass around, never once taking his eyes off of the other.

to come home
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
HARPER
"Oh, no! It's actually amazing here, I lived in the city for so long I had forgotten what the ocean looked like. I haven't been this at peace in a long time, even when I get nostalgic for home." Harper doesn't even consider lying, and the sincerity rings clear when he speaks, lips twisted in a small awed smile. Torchline is truly gorgeous, all of the lands really are. Though he misses a lot of aspects about cities in general, and his city in particular, Harper is aware that his stress levels have drastically been reduced since he was dropped into Caido.

The man's eyes scald wherever they land, Harper too keyed into him to not notice where those eyes linger. He's not self-conscious, but he does squirm a little, wondering if the bartender had been a little liberal with the bottle to explain away the heat in his belly. He's certainly no eunuch, Harper knows his own reactions and what they mean, but...well, it's been years since he has even entertained the notion of being in someone's bed or allowing them into his. Admittedly he's at a loss of what to do, and so he merely continues playing with his glass, switching to the new one that Matéo had ordered when the last one is finally emptied. He doesn't miss the way the man leans in, but his only reaction is to go still, mouth lax and heart rabitting. Not pushing away, merely waiting in limbo, and unsure whether he's disappointed or relieved when Matéo catches himself and withdraws.

The alcohol is a welcome distraction, even if it's sure to kick his lightweight ass a little too far into the tipsy realm. Harper knocks it back regardless. Flushing all the deeper at the endearment that makes his heart flutter a little, preening in a fashion exactly akin to what he'd just been compared to. "I can handle taking more than you think, alcohol or no," he shoots back before he can doubt himself. The roguish smirk only making him feel all the more overheated. "Do you think I'm attracted to the uncivilized act then? Think it's working for you?" Oh it's definitely working, but Harper needles nevertheless, wanting the man's attention and words all to himself.

BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3