Pastimes Ruined
Neron
Delphine Mountrose

Age: 30 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 10 - Int:
POE - Regular - Galah
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
Delphine Mountrose
Forsake your loved ones, to protect yourself.
Delphine had become too restless to paint, and her tea didn't help. So, she'd shut the door of their room for the week, and headed off to find the library. There had to be a library, in a place this big.

At first, she wasn't quite sure what she was going to look for in the books, but she settled on magic, and herbs--researching both. She had, constantly over the past few years, wondered where her other magic had gone; or what it had become when the portal had torn her from her home. Though she had never made any real attempts to find out, it couldn't hurt. And it would distract her.

Entering the library, she inhaled softly. The scent of books was like a memory, and she moved to the nearest shelf and began to browse. Fingers tapped the spine of each book as she read the titles softly, to herself. She plucked a few off the first shelf, and moved to another.

In true Delphine fashion, once she focused on something, she could easily get lost doing whatever she had focused on. This was no exception.

Neron
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
NERON
the hailstorm
Reading in the library was at least a change of scenery compared to reading in his room. And given that Neron had spent last LongNight in the comforts of the (now destroyed) Palace, this made quite a change. His guard stood by somewhere, bored out of his skull, and Neron was a bit pleased by it. Still, he lounged in one of the armchairs, a trashy romance novel in hand, idly flicking through the pages until something more interesting came along.

Oh, and it did.

Steel blue eyes flicked up at the sight of someone sidling along the shelves, and Neron damn near thought he had seen a ghost. But no - not a ghost. A nightmare, more like. Wrinkling his nose, he considered leaving for a moment, before trying to settle back down and ignore her. Maybe she would just leave and go away.
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Delphine Mountrose

Age: 30 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine Mountrose
Delphine leaned on her toes, fingers stretching above her head, grasping at a book just out of reach. She scowled and muttered something about a stupid portal, taking her magic, before taking a moment to look for a ladder.

Instead her gaze landed on someone she had not seen in a very, very long time. Hazel hues wandered to the book title, and then to the guard.

"Neron Launceleyn, looking good as ever." She grinned wryly, not terribly thrilled to be in the same room as the man. They didn't end well. Not that anyone who dated Delphine... had a happy ending.

"Can you grab that book for me? Or, I dunno, ask your guard too?"
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NERON
the hailstorm
Oh shit, he’d been spotted. And he’d done so much work to remain innocuous (not).

Taking a long breath in and letting it out again, Neron lowered his book and let his lead loll to the side in the chair, fixing his eyes on Delphine with a sort of lazy annoyance. ”There are ladders,” he remarked, like she might not have noticed. Though the sooner she had her books, the sooner she would leave.

So, getting to his feet (he wouldn’t trust his guard not to get wrapped around her little finger), he strolled over to the bookcase and the book she indicated. Reaching up, he plucked the volume from the top shelf and set it unceremoniously atop the other pile of books she held.

”There. Those should keep you locked up for the rest of LongNight reading.”
Delphine Mountrose

POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine Mountrose
Delphine studied him, her gaze wandering to the guard, to whom she did offer a very sweet smile. She'd noticed the ladders, but... why use a ladder when someone else would get it for her? Much easier that way.

When he placed the book atop the pile she held, she flashed another smile. "Thank you."

She adjusted her hold on the books, chewing her lip. And, after a moment, "Why should I be locked up reading?" She furrowed her brows, as if she really, and truly, had no idea what the man was referencing.

"Besides... it's just research. I'm supposed to run the medical station, I guess Loren didn't show."
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
the hailstorm
”Because you are a menace, and everything you touch turns to shit.” Neron flashed an icy smile right back at her, as if that would get his point across even through her delusions. Turning on heel, he had very little interest in whatever else she had to say, hoping she would disappear off to where she was staying in the Academy and leave him be. And he even got as far as slouching back in his seat and picking his book back up when she spoke again, causing him to stare at her over the pages.

”Loren didn’t show?” he repeated slowly. ”That is unlike him. Surely there are others who might man the medical station, though. I did not even know you had come to grace us with your presence here at Halo.” Or that you were alive. Next thing he knew, fucking Bellamy would be showing up.
Delphine Mountrose

POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine Mountrose
Delphine wasn't put off by Neron's words, instead she shrugged. "Yeah. Everything I touches turns to shit or dies, children included." Her tone was cold, quiet, and she began thumbing through the index of the topmost book in her stack.

"He did not, no." She shrugged again. "Someone out there thinks I can fix more than I destroy, I guess we have all LongNight to see if he's right or not." She replied, still flipping pages.

"Bellamy isn't here--in Caido, as far as I know. Something to be thankful for," Instead of preparing to leave, she moved to settle into a chair, stack of books in her lap. She clasped her hands atop that stack and offered the man a sweet smile.

"So, Neron. Tell me about the magic here. I've not... quite figured it all out, my healing yes. I'd hoped Zariah would train me... but," another shrug, another sweet smile.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
the hailstorm
Neron didn’t bite - he knew better than that with Delphine by now. And besides, he’d had enough dead children for one season with what had most likely happened to Jace. ”Oh I cannot wait,” he drawled, already back in the pages of his book - he had no doubt about her abilities to break whatever she put her mind to, probably within only a few days of LongNight.

But of course she wasn’t done, moving instead to sit nearby, fixing him with those doe eyes and effectively ruining his day for good. Inhaling slowly (not that he needed to) and letting it out again, Neron lowered his book and glared at her. ”No,” he said simply. She was so used to just ordering things and having people get them done, and Neron felt himself embittered by it. ”You have books - read them. You don’t need anything else to find out about magic. And if you do - ask someone else.”
Delphine Mountrose

POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine Mountrose
Delphine's lips twitched, into a brief smile. "I'll read the books, but... it's easier to ask for my answers. Especially from someone from Northaven," At least she was honest. She knew she was used to having things done for her. Even when she had a brother that hit her, or a husband who told her who she was allowed to see, she was still used to just... asking, and receiving. That's not really changed.

When he said to ask someone else, she shrugged and twisted in her chair to beam at the guard. "Hiya! Do you know anything about magic?"
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
the hailstorm
”I haven’t been from Northaven for so long, I barely remember the place,” Neron muttered, snapping his book shut since it didn’t look as though Delphine had any intention of letting him continue to read. Still, he rolled his eyes as she twisted to look at his guard, the man bored enough to be taken in by any lick of conversation.

“I don’t have a clue about magic, sorry Miss. More of a warrior myself.” His voice was gruff, though he seemed nice enough.

Neron sighed and rubbed at his forehead. ”Don’t you have anywhere better to be, Delphine? Someone’s life to ruin? The Academy is a big place. Explore it.”
Delphine Mountrose

POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine Mountrose
"Yet you remember your hatred for me. I guess I should be flattered?" The guard spoke to her and she gave a gleeful clap of her hands, accepting his answer and turning back to Neron.

"Why, love, I'm here to ruin your life. Or rather, find out why you ruined whatever you had with Zariah. You let the Halovians hate her... Why?" She leaned toward the man, and reached out, an attempt to pat his cheek. "I would ask about your child but... see, I'm not bothered by that. You've always been one to do what you needed to do, stomp on who you had too, toss who wasn't worth your time..."

The woman's smile was gentle, sweet, once upon a time she might have been described as a ray of sunlight. In this moment though, she was here for answers. "But to shatter the Launceleyn family? Has the family fallen that far, dear?"
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
the hailstorm
”You most certainly made an impression,” Neron drawled, his steely eyes flickering up and to Delphine as she started the predictable drip of poison. As her hand moved in Neron’s flicked up to slap it back, faster than it had any right to be. Ice coated his hand, and the air around them dropped a couple of degrees.

”I didn’t have anything with Zariah. And I didn’t let anyone hate her. She did that all by herself, just as she traded away Jace for the safety of the building you and I sit in.” He clenched his teeth, baring fangs her way.

”The family fell the second we arrived in Caido. I was here a year before the rest of you showed up, and it was the most peace I’ve gotten.” Rising to his feet, Neron motion for his guard. He didn’t have to sit and listen to this.
Delphine Mountrose

POE - Regular - Galah
Change author:
Delphine Mountrose
Delphine tsked quietly, "I'm glad to hear my impression is lasting." He slapped her hand away, and her fingers curled into her palm. "Chilled, are we, love?"

She sat back in her chair, studying the man as he bared fangs, "From my understanding... Zariah was not the one who made the deal in the first place." Her lips curved, "Besides, this building is housing a lot of Snowcloak... keeping them safe from the cold, not to mention those who fled the Grounds."

She moved to stand as he did, clasping her hands in front of herself. "Don't lump me with the Launceleyns, you didn't get a ring on my finger fast enough to make me one of them." Delphine scooped her stack of books up, flashing the guard a smile.

"I'll always wonder where the boy I loved went, but perhaps I dodged a disaster." She started towards the exit, slowly. As she reached the door to the room, she turned, and she inquired:

"Did you ever love any of the people who once depended on you? Or is your heart as black as your soul?"
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
the hailstorm
”Zariah was asked to keep her nose out of my business in order that Jace remain safe. Zariah does as Zariah wants.” Neron stepped around Delphine, his book tucked under his arm and his guard at his heels. The man offered a friendly nod to her as they walked by; she’d made a good impression on him, at least. Neron not so much. ”As for Snowcloak - the rest of the Citadel might have been in better condition too, had she told any of us what might happen. A lot of people wouldn’t be dead.”

Delphine went for the exit and Neron headed deeper into the shelves, clearly not intending on going the same way as she did. ”And thank the gods I didn’t. The boy you loved died a long time ago.” As for comments about his heart and soul? She’d have to live not knowing.

~FIN