Damsel in Distress
Open
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Age: 34 | Height: 5'9'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: N/A - Strg: 16 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

One moment she’s scrambling down uneven streets in her third-best pair of shoes, coming to the realization that she should have taken a right turn instead of a left (never coming to this part of the city again, no matter how high the offer) - the next, she’s face down on frozen ground, pain shooting up her left ankle.

But this ground isn’t made of grey cobblestones, it’s hard-packed earth and dead grass, the smell of fresh air instead of the lower ends of humanity. How…? and Where…? and...

Lily looks up from her prostrate position to find only the dark shadows of dilapidated buildings and an almost equally dark beyond. The light is fading fast, its last weak rays dropping behind the horizon with every panicked beat of her racing heart.

She pushes herself up and flips over, to find that she’s tripped over large mounds. It doesn’t matter what they are, only that a tentative wiggle of her toes produces no pain, but the following gentle circle makes her bite her lip in a hiss. And then she realizes it’s cold. Her waist-length cloak offers little protection against the weather, her dress is sleeveless and though bright and shiny, is meant to keep her comfortable in a bar filled with too many warm bodies. If it’s possible, her pale face goes even whiter when she realizes she can’t see any man-made light in the immediate surroundings.

There it is again - that rolling wave of paralyzing fear.

It passes, but leaves her trembling (though that could be the cold) and unsteady as she pushes herself up to one leg and pulls her half-cloak around her, tucking her fingers in tightly to her armpits. She’s in real fucking trouble this time. It’s like her brain won’t even begin to process the fact that she’s clearly not in Portsmouth anymore, won’t acknowledge how she possibly could have gotten here. Knowing full well the folly of crying out to the great dark beyond, the bejweled, disheveled woman begins to hobble towards one of the larger, darker shapes, only letting herself raise her voice when she could lean against the chilling stone.

“Is anyone out there?” she demands of the mystery world, her voice hitching with barely concealed desperation at the end.

lily
as if you were on fire from within
the moon lives in the lining of your skin
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
BASTIEN
Soon everybody, everywhere will be
The envy of the gods above
Bastien had been wandering around plenty of places looking for a drop of inspiration in his quest to discover more about the Gods. His loyalty was to Safrin, yes, but there was a whole world of Divine intervention and existence out there to discover and he wanted to be sure he was on the right team.

The ruins were his latest excursion. He'd heard some warnings about this place, whisperings of danger and doom within the walls, but that only made it all the more enticing. He had come wearing the toughest clothes he had (still not very strong and still baring his chest) and armed with a large stick he had found, which he was temporarily using as a walking stick.

He was about to leave the large building he had been exploring when he heard a loud noise from a courtyard he had just left, a thud and then a voice. Instinctively he turned to go and help, not one to leave a lady in need, but then thought. What if this was a trick of some spirit or a trap?

Softly, he stepped back around the corner, holding his stick up in both hands in case he had to quickly fight and run. But when he saw Lily struggling to walk, wrapped in a pitifully thin cloak, his heart couldn't take the idea of not helping. He dropped the stick and hurried to her side, reaching out a hand to touch her elbow.

"Oh, fiore dolce. Are you alright? You should not come here alone." He didn't seem to note the irony in this warning, checking over Lily to see if she was injured. "There are things in the dark, they say. And you are wearing such thin clothing! You must be freezing. Here--" He immediately took off the shawl he had been wearing as a top layer and wrapped it around her arms. "-This should help."
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Age: 34 | Height: 5'9'' | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

There is someone out there, and though Lily isn’t the religious type, the surge of relief which flows through her already quivering body is enough to make her want to thank God. Any God.

And then he’s at her side, (her savior!) and she turns towards the man who so gently grasps her elbow (ever so courteous), eyes wide and barely concealing the shock she’s entering. He has an accent that she isn’t familiar with, says words she does not understand. A confused look flits across her face as she, child-like, accepts the additional cover without protestation.

Now, look - Lily isn’t the fragile flower her name makes her out to be - but she has come to enjoy certain comforts and courtesies in the past year or so. She’s mentally cunning and sharp as a tack, but physically soft and yielding (unless that’s not their thing). And a portal to another world is the last thing she would ever have expected to find while running helter-skelter down a dark alley. Man with a knife? Sure. This? Nope, nope, nope.

A strand of fire-red hair falls from her disheveled up-do, but she makes no move to brush it behind an ear. “This isn’t… it’s not Winter yet, it’s fall, it’s...” she finally gets out, before trailing off again and pulling the shawl tighter, as if she might keep the heat in by cocooning herself. “Am I…?” she begins, before a vicious wave of chattering teeth stop her in her tracks and every muscle in her body seems to clench inward.

This must be a dream. She's fallen and hit her head and she's either died, or this is one really fucking lucid dream.

lily

Bastien
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN
The woman took his shawl but was clearly not well, her speech confused and halted and her teeth chattering. Bastien gently motioned for her to follow and keeping his hand lightly on her elbow, walked her towards the entrance to the Ruins, back towards the town. As he looked her over, saw the confusion and fear in her eyes, a realisation dawned.

"Oh, I see. You were somewhere else and now you are here, yes? Suddenly...like magic?" Of course, the place she had come from may have been totally different than his own, as might her experience of coming over. But he had to start somewhere (there was also a possibility, in the back of his mind, that she was simply crazy).

Placing a hand on his chest, he continued as if giving a great secret. "You see, this happened to me too. I was at home, sleeping, when suddenly I am here in a field. It has happened to many of us. But it is not so bad. I shall help you as some have helped me, yes?"

He wasn't sure entirely what kind of help he could give - he didn't have the inn Vervain had had when she gave him a job, he didn't have massive resources. But he had a home, and a cult church, which was the beginnings of a community.

"I am Bastien. What is your name?"
Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:

“Yes!” Lily exclaims, both surprised and thoroughly relieved that the gentleman didn’t make her say it, because, quite frankly, it sounded ludicrous in her head. Hands grasp his forearm in gratitude as she makes the two of them pause, pulling Bastien so he’s standing across from her instead of walking alongside. “You’re not from Portsmouth, are you?” But no, that’s also ludicrous, and Lily shakes her head as she fully realizes it. “No, of course you aren’t. The accent....”

She falls back into herself, no longer in shock-shock, but diminished by the cold. And revelations. And a rapid fire sequence of questions running through her head. Where is she going to live, what can she do, will they want someone with her skills (ha, the women never do), what kind of money do they use, can she barter her necklace? The redhead is lost in thought, allowing Bastien to silently guide her towards real buildings, whose lights had been easily hidden by the other looming ruins. The light seems to bring her back, allows her to answer like a normal human again. “Thank you, Bastien. I’ll find a way to return the favor, promise.”

She flashes him a shy, but earnest smile, something to make him feel… important. Manly. Charmed, perhaps. “I’m Lily. Lily Balfour.”

lily

{do you want to continue in the Rathskeller? Lily needs a job!}
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Portsmouth? ...Portsmouth, England...? In Europe?" Bastien could hear the desperate hope in his own voice, but he couldn't help it. There had not yet been a single person he had met here from his own world. True, she was not from his country, but barriers like that seemed almost pointless now that he was the lone representative of a whole planet.

He was charmed by her smile (how could he not be? She smiled at him as if he were her saviour, the only man in the world in that moment) and tried to comfortingly pat her fingers on his arm.

Stepping over the last of the ruins, a large pillar fallen half into the ground, he held out a hand to help her over and steady her. "You are welcome. I always have a helping hand for the beautiful and the well-meaning. It appears you are both, and in the same situation I was only some months ago." He had on his most charming voice, his most daring smile.

"Tell me, what is your work, cara?" He asked, hoping that she would say something he could use to help place her effectively in the town, give her the right kind of support.

Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:

For a hot second, she is crestfallen. No, not England - but then it hits her that he is at least familiar with Earth and their world. “No… Portsmouth, Virgina. In America.” It was silly to think someone might have heard of the medium-sized city, but she couldn’t help getting her hopes up. She nibbles a little at her lower lip, trying to place his accent. She’s not a terribly worldly lady, they don’t get a lot of international visitors, but she can rule out England, France, and Germany... “Are you from Europe? Ummm… Spain?”

The conversation continues as she takes the proffered hand, wobbling on quickly numbing toes in surely ruined shoes (note to self, probably don’t need heels here). She climbs over the pillar in a less than dainty manner, heavy, wet skirt getting tangled around her ankles (which does nothing for the pain, she barely hides it with a wince) as she clears it. But oh, Bastien smiles, and it seems like everything just miiiiight be alright.

“I’m a performer. Usually in bars, or for private parties. Sing, dance, play cards, instruments… you know.” And it’s the truth. Just not the whole truth. But they’ve only just met, no need to bare their souls to each other until there’s alcohol and more… fortuitous circumstances.

lily
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
America wasn't quite as close but it was still Earth, and Bastien's face split into a wide grin. "Italy, cara. I have only ever met American fur traders, but I am told it is a beautiful place. When the English aren't in charge, of course. You don't know this yet, but this makes you and me members of a very exclusive group here - you are the only other person I know from our sweet world here." He had gotten so used to people from other worlds the sentence made perfect sense to him, even if it would baffle Lily.

"A performer! Ah!" Bastien clapped his hands together in delight. "You are a woman after my own heart. I too have been a performer of sorts for many years, a man of the arts; I think I shall be able to find a place for you myself." He wasn't sure Vervain would take too kindly to him asking her to hire a beautiful lady after recent events, but he was sure he could find a way to pay her to help him in the church.

"You see-" He began to explain, as he pointed at a sign that declared the town close by. "-I own a little church. But it is not like the churches of our world. No. It is a place of the most free art and love, of worship to a Deity that does not demand the same things as Christ. I have been looking for entertainers, dancers, people to draw in a 'congregation'. Of course, you have just arrived. There is no pressure. You can stay there for the night and find your feet first. I have food, drinks."

Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:

No… Earthlings? No… Asians, Europeans, Africans? Lily’s always been a skeptic, finding little comfort in organized religion, and certainly very little faith (re: none whatsoever) in a deity that could allow her family to fall on such hard times that they had to sell their daughter. No, believing in one’s self and one’s ability over divine intervention is one thing, but entertaining the possibility to other worlds is just… well, it’s like a punch to the ovaries. And white folk are so entitled and Eurocentric in Lily’s home time and world that even the great philosophers have yet to wax poetic on the possibility of other dimensions.

She is still at the proverbial top of the food chain, right below a white man. Here? Here, she doesn’t know where she stands, what the rules are (not that the rules have ever truly stopped her, but that’s not the point)... if MAGIC is possible, OTHER WORLDS are possible… and… and…

Lily just shakes her head in amazement, allowing the words and their meaning to glide over her head for now. She’ll pick them apart later, have a breakdown and then come to terms with it all when she’s alone. Falling apart now is not an option. She’s a goddamn survivor, not a damsel in distress!

Bastien is rambling on, courteously leading her along, so she tunes back in, but at the announcement of a church and religion, her stomach turns a little. Yes, she’s only just got there! While it’s kind of him to offer her a place to stay (and she will gladly take him up on that), the redhead cannot help but find it a little distasteful that he’s already trying to bring her in. He’s like a Baptist, she supposes. Or one of those diehard missionaries crying in the city square - minus the hellfire and brimstone and sins bits. Nevertheless, she puts on a weak smile and is prepared to blame it on the cold, clutching again at his shawl. “I’m not really the religious... sort… but I would be happy to hear more of it.”

It’s only polite. A warm place to stay for the price of a conversation - hell, she’s done far worse.  

lily
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
He noted almost immediately the drop in the smile - for a second he wasn't sure why. But as soon as he heard Lily's hesitation, the pauses in her voice...he realised he had to sound like a Priest desperate to have people in his church. He cringed at himself, distasteful of classical religion himself.

"..I am sorry. I must sound crazy to you, hm? You have barely been here a moment and I am already talking to you about a church. Do not worry. I will not demand any kind of belief from you. I must remember that when I first arrived, all that I did first was serve drinks in a bar. It was familiar, in a way." He had never been a bartender, but he had done plenty of work involving alcohol and talking to people.

The first buildings of the settlement now around them, he motioned around. "This is the market area. It's usually busy. I live nearby." Taking her through the settlement and into the houses, he eventually reached a dark blue door with a single star painted on it. True, this wasn't his home, but he had been sleeping there for a few days now.

Opening the door, he went to light the candle, giving the room a soft blue light with pricks of light like stars. "Magic." He explained, going to make a drink and some food for her and motioning for her to sit at any of the many chairs. After a moment he brought her some juice and a piece of bread with some cheese. Nothing fancy, but gourmet was hard to come by around here.

Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:

After his apology, she smiles and pats his arm in a reassuring manner. “That’s all right. You have a passion. I can’t fault you for being excited about it.” She’s never known that sort of passion. The bed sheeets passion, the singing passion, yes, but never the passion of a deep seated belief, or even something that one loves above all else. And then she follows it with a slightly more sly comment, “Besides, you could demand, but that doesn’t mean I’ll deliver.” A little wink and a half smile, and then they’re at a door with a star.

Well, that is easy to remember. She doesn’t really give any thought to the settlement, other than that she should see it again when she’s wearing more clothes and it’s a bit brighter. Her toes have gone practically numb at this point, the throbbing in her ankle long gone with the chill of the snow, and so she stumbles over the threshold. A white, delicate hand claws for Bastien as she tries to catch herself with a little squeak-oof sound.

When she manages to right herself (with or without his help), Lily chuckles darkly and hides her face in a hand. “Just making all sorts of good impressions aren’t I?” As if to answer her own question, she continues, “I mean, I should be worried about survival and if I’m going crazy and instead, I’m commenting on good impressions.” Another incredulous laugh and shake of her head. “I swear, I’m usually far more level headed.”

Taking herself to a chair, she peels off her sodden shoes and tucks her feet underneath her butt and stays silent, looking around the room until Bastien returns with food, which she graciously accepts. Before tucking into it, she reaches again for one of his hands and should he left her, takes it in between her own. “Thank you, again.”

And she really, truly, meant it.

lily
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Bastien immediately reached to help Lily as she fell, though she mostly managed to right herself. At her self-deprecation he shook his head and held up his hands. "You have made the impression of someone intelligent and beautiful but lost. And impression are always important." This was something he truthfully believed - even in the worst times of his life he had kept up appearances.

Sitting down himself, he raised his eyebrows at the hand on his own. It wasn't unwelcome, but it wasn't what he was expecting. Bastien took Lily's hand and lightly squeezed it, smiling at her.

"You are welcome, bella signora." He got up to pour himself a drink, sipping at it and walking about the room to neaten things up and dust off the odd item. Truthfully he was trying to be polite while she ate, to make it obvious he wasn't watching her. After a little while he turned to her and pointed to the room to the side.

"If you like, you can stay here. There is a comfortable enough bench in there with cushions and blankets. I will not be there, so you can have some privacy...I...trust you not to steal."

Lily Balfour
Entertainer

Change author:

Weariness has her in its grasp, slowly closing its grip around her heavy eyes. Lily wouldn’t have cared if Bastien watched her eat - she would care if she nodded off mid-bite, or into her food, or something else embarrassing. Daintily picking up the crumbs by licking her fingers and lifting the bits from the plate, she looks up with a finger in her mouth as he speaks and then darts her gaze towards the other room.

“I’m not going to steal from you, Bastien. Not only do I not want to, but where would I go with it? How far could I get in this snow?” Lily chuckles at both the image of herself trying to escape (without even knowing about the barrier) and at his caution. Ah, but he is right to be, she is a virtual stranger. They have a small connection, but she should not be presumptuous or naive.

“If it’s alright, I think I’ll head to bed…. Tidy up in the morning.” See? It’s good to let Lily stick around. She’ll clean and shit. Add a feminine touch. Do whatever it is that American women can and Italian men can’t.  

lily
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"That is true. And like I said, I trust you. Just...old habits. I'm sorry." Bastien shrugged. He'd been kind before and regretted it, opened his doors to starving artists who had turned out to just be conmen with a paintbrush.

She seemed tired, so he nodded when she said she was going to bed, but paused at the comment about tidying up. He looked about. To Bastien the place seemed perfect, cluttered in all the right ways and only dusty in the corners that didn't really matter. Empty bottles only added to the ambience, he thought. But perhaps Lily could make it look better; collaboration was often the road to brilliance.

"That is not necessary, but I would appreciate it. You will find things to sleep with next door. So...I will see you in the morning, Lily. I will come early with breakfast." With a smile and a nod, he headed to the door, then paused as he opened it. "Oh. And if you need anything in the night, I live four doors down to the right. There are flowers painted on the doorframe. Knock and I will be there as soon as I can be." With that said he shut the door and headed out, hoping his church would be in one piece in the morning with Lily still fine within it.