baby mine, don't you cry...

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Did you think that was the end? How very, very foolish. No, the game isn't done yet, not even nearly.

From outside the Temple door closest to the room where Bastien and Deimos stand guard - the one Rexanna went through, in fact - comes the scratch scratch scratch of desperate fingernails, and the Peumbra's all-too-familiar voice, quivering with pain and fear. "Bastien! Help me, please help me, oh gods, they're coming-!"

A muffled scream, and though the sound of her voice is still audible, the words she says are not. Is it your ears or your eyes that deceive you? How are you to know?

LONGNIGHT
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
Start by admitting that from cradle to tomb
Isn't that long a stay
His watchful post was a solemn one. Rexanna was silent in her eternal resting place, her face burnt but still beautiful. Bastien wanted to believe that she looked peaceful, but he had seen the glimpse of terror in her open eyes before he had gently shut them. She had not died well and he would know that forever.

Hearing her voice suddenly from down the hall was admittedly jarring, but after a moment of shock and fresh upset, he shook his head. He could see his wife's corpse before him, and he was well accustomed to the tricks and cruelty of the Longnight monsters. Closing his eyes tight, he made his hands into fists and spoke out loud into the air, knowing they would hear him: "Leave me alone, you creatures of misery. You have had your fun with her. Find another life to ruin."
Come to the Cabaret, old chum
Bastien
Base Code by Sky!

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Laughter meets the declaration, cold and cruel above Rexanna's muffled cries. It is the sound of gnashing teeth, the sound of dead trees shaking in a fell wind. "Ruin? No, no Bastien, we do not want to ruin. We want to give you back your desires."

Again the rustling against the walls. Again Rexanna's voice. "Please!-"

Her voice becomes muffled again, replaced by that dead, dry tone. "We did not kill the Penumbra. Your door did. And now you have her body, but her soul? That stays with us. Forever and forever and forever and forever... unless, of course, you would like to trade? Your wife returned, for a price."

LONGNIGHT
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Isn't that long a stay
Bastien badly wanted to stay strong and ignore whatever the monsters had to say, but he had to admit the mention of 'desires' made him frown, mostly because he wasn't sure what was meant; still, the thought was dropped when the imitation of Rexanna's voice cut through again, Bastien flinching as if he had been struck.

The damn door...he could argue that Rexanna would not have been desperate enough to try and belt on it had the monsters not been chasing her and Clem, but he wasn't interested in arguing semantics with the evil things that lurked behind the windows. Their words about Rexanna's soul did cut though: he had assumed the essence of his wife was already with the Voice and while he knew the monsters would say anything to get into his head...the possibility they put forward hurt too much to ignore.

"Tell me your price. I will not leave this room nor will I sacrifice my child, if those are your ideas." He spat out, already predicting some of the monster's cruelty.
Bastien
Base Code by Sky!

Change author:

"A child you do not even know is worth more than your wife? Maybe you did not love her as much as we thought. Maybe her soul will be better off with us. Why would she want to spend eternity with you, a man who has limits to his love?"

The voice is cruel and harsh as cracking leaves, biting on the walls. In the lull of its words Rexanna can be heard "Bastien, please, I don't want to spend eternity alone-"

The Penumbra falls quiet, muffled once more. "We only ask for justice, Bastien. Justice against the ones who did kill your wife, steal her away. Break the door that the starry bitch made, and we will return Rexanna's soul to you. That's all we want. Safrin's creation destroyed, so it can hurt no-one else."

LONGNIGHT
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
Isn't that long a stay
At the monsters first question, all Bastien could do was laugh, bitter and loud. If he ever needed evidence that these things were no longer human, there it was. He was a father now and he knew Azrael as deeply as he'd known anyone, loved them more than that; moreover, he knew Rexanna would never forgive him if he made that ghoulish trade.

Hearing her voice again was another blow, though he found each time was a little easier, the impact of it fading. It wasn't her, wasn't really her.

The request they gave him was unexpected. "...I don't know how to break down the door. I cannot even get near it; but do not even tell me. I cannot endanger the lives of everyone else in this place for...for Rexanna. And..." He took a breath that threatened to be a sob. "...She was a good queen. She would not want me to."
Bastien
Base Code by Sky!

Change author:

"Very well, you make your choice. Your wife belongs to us now, and will be with us forever. Never forget you had a choice, and when the time came you didn't choose her."

With that the voices - all of them - fall silent, leaving Bastien alone with his choices and his wife's corpse.

LONGNIGHT
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
Isn't that long a stay
The monsters surely had a gift for cutting words and Bastien did feel the impact of their goodbye, felt in his heart the regret and sudden doubt he was sure they had intended; he tried to focus on Rexanna before him, on the face he had loved and kissed and spoken to and praised for almost two years now. "...I believe I have done what you would have wanted." He whispered to her, before sitting on the end of the bed and placing his head in his hands.
Bastien
Base Code by Sky!