Drown you for your sin (O)
OPEN
Arlo Gavanagh
Monster hunter

Age: 33 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 0 - Strg: 9 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 4 - Int:
Played by: Ayla Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ARLO
light my candles in a daze
Arlo still wasn't really comprehending all of this. First, he'd somehow fallen into another world. Second, the world had the good humor to turn him into some weird sort of vampire, for crying out loud. And now this? The whole town, if you could call it that, was barricaded into a shitty old temple. Everyone kept telling him it was because of something called Long Night, but seeing as he was now a vampire, wouldn't that be a good time for him?

He'd expected it to be kind of like a party, maybe turn into some kind of weird orgy (although that was probably more of a hope, if he was being honest), but it was... Scary. There were things out there. Two people had already died. So now, Arlo wasn't sure what to think.

His past life, and it was difficult for him to think of it like that, didn't have monsters. It was hard for him to even conceptualize what a monster was; why couldn't they just kill it or something? But everyone around him was afraid. They didn't seem to want to talk much.

That left Arlo in the annoying position of being dreadfully bored. He walked for a bit, but there wasn't a whole lot of places to go. Arlo wasn't really one to admire architecture so the building's construction was of no interest to him. He listened in to conversations, too, enjoying the new gift of improved hearing that came with being Ascended, but that got pretty depressing after a while. They were mostly talking about the people who had died; Bastien's wife and someone else that Arlo didn't think he had any connections to.

Arlo felt bad for Bastien in a remote sort of way, but it didn't really effect him. Bastien having a wife was a negative, seeing as he was attractive and kind, so in many ways, the practical side of Arlo thought this wasn't necessarily a bad thing. The part that knew that was a terrible thought scolded him, but Arlo shrugged it off. He didn't know any of these people. What did it matter if they all died? As long as he didn't perish with them. Arlo sighed at last, slumping against the wall, looking around pleadingly. If only there was someone willing to occupy him, or share a drink.
'cause i've found god
Mabel Occidendum

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MABEL

All this commotion, all this despair, all this anguish surrounding, pervading the halls, because of a fallen Ascended Queen. A woman she would have liked to have met, to have spoken more than a single word to, to pick her brain, to wonder aloud, to marvel at capabilities Mabel herself might have some day. But foolish Outlanders and scandalous doors had pre-empted the entire fiasco, and there they all were, without a sovereign, without anything at all but the weight of expectation and terror.

But Mabel was a natural, had lived through fifteen other LongNights, and had no intention of opening windows or doors, of listening to the monsters scratch their claws down the walls. She wasn’t stupid, wasn’t inept, wasn’t about to think she could fool any demon. But god, the temptation to scrawl her way and pave the floor with her fiendish intentions, to mark them just as the infidels outside had done, was a glorious foundation and ambition.

Instead of doing any of the latter, she wandered along the familiar, Temple halls, eyes ghosting over shrines, over empty vessels, before walking near a stranger. They were almost all strangers to her anyway, in one shape, form, or another; and she tilted her head at the man, at the looks, at the slumping posture. Straight and tall, she stood before him, an indignant arch to her brow. “First LongNight?”
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out
Arlo Gavanagh
Monster hunter

Age: 33 | Height: 6'1 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ARLO
Arlo wasn't the type of person to get lost in his thoughts. He wasn't that deep. He could hear someone approaching, but didn't look up, expecting them to walk past. The voice startled him slightly. Arlo lifted his head to glance at the speaker; a young woman. He smiled slightly at her. She was standing tall, like she had a high opinion of herself. Maybe she was someone important.

But then again, Arlo could remember being that age, and he had held himself with importance, too. Sixteen year old Arlo hadn't been covered in tattoos, so he'd looked quite different. "How'd you guess?" He drawled, amusement in his tone. He wasn't scared shitless like everyone else seemed to be. He couldn't quite get the intensity of what was happening. Arlo was still mostly expecting to wake up and find this was some weird kind of dream.

He straightened himself against the wall, leaning up against the stone, and crossed his legs. He hadn't been expecting a kid to keep him company, but in some ways it'd probably be better then an adult. Kids had less... Gravity. Or most he'd known had. Maybe it was different here; after all, people died here all the time. Kids probably grew up faster. Hell, this girl was probably tenfold more mature then Arlo himself. He grinned slightly at the thought. He offered the girl his hand. "I'm Arlo. Who are you?" He queried. "I'm guessing this isn't your first LongNight. Any tips?" He grinned lopsidedly.

ooc; Sorry it took so long!!
'cause i've found god
Mabel Occidendum

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MABEL

“You look bored.” Unprepared; hadn’t come with anything to entertain himself. Perhaps he was one of the many Outlanders who thought it’d be an interesting ruse, a game of warnings and nothing else – until they heard the first clack of claws against wood, or the whispers of heresy through the void. Until they were tricked, deceived, duped, worn and worn and worn again in the onslaught of psychological or physical torture. Foolish, probably, to be rendered in an idle state. Mabel half-hoped a monster found him, just so he’d take it seriously, just so another Outlander was proven wrong – simpletons.

Her eyes went to a bookshelf nearby, fingers perusing the selection, rippling over the spines while he drawled, and she arched her brow again as her eyes shifted back to him, attention deviated from her task. Her eyes looked down at his hand, half-intending not to take it, to be miffed and irritated at his presence. A sigh drifted through, and with an obvious reluctance, she took it, a swift shake, before dropping it altogether. “I’m Mabel.” The tone was stoic and cold, emotionless and reserved, gaze sweeping back to the available tomes. Tips? Like any of them listened anyways? “Don’t open the door.” A smirk settled across her mouth, stare not going back to him. “No matter how tempted.”
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out
Arlo Gavanagh
Monster hunter

Change author:
ARLO
Arlo made a little scoffing sound at that. He was bored; he'd made it as obvious as possible in the hopes that someone would take pity on him and entertain him. He'd been thinking more along the lines of sex or alcohol, but he supposed company in general would do. For now. "And you're not? What is there to do around here apart from stare at the walls?" Arlo queried, lifting an eyebrow, full mouth curling into a smile.

She was a snarky young thing, that was for sure. Arlo wasn't sure where exactly to place her age, but definitely firmly in the teen category by both her attitude and appearance. He wondered if shaking hands wasn't a thing here, and that's why she'd paused, but her sigh alerted him to the fact she just didn't want to do it. He rolled his eyes. Dramatic- he'd been trying to be courteous. It was hard to talk to people that he couldn't flirt with, what else was he meant to do? "Nice to meet you, Mabel." His eyebrows raised slightly in his face. He wasn't exactly sure it was, as of yet. His bemused expression changed into a scowl. "Well, duh. Why would I be tempted?" From everything he'd seen so far, going outside was a fucking terrible idea. Why would he want to open the door?
'cause i've found god
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

Her eyes barely drifted back to him, a snort of disdain and derision echoing from her place in front of the bookshelf, fingers shoving tomes out of her way, searching for something of value, of worth. She wasn’t here to entertain him, nor was anyone else; better things to do than wander into Arlo’s midst and listen to him whine. LongNight wasn’t in place to have a good time anyway – she could recall being cooped up, encircled around the middle of their home, quietly, painstakingly, wishing the days would drift by, as the darkness rattled chains and locks, as the wind howled, as the demons were set loose upon them all. Her eyes eventually wound their way back to him, briefly, as if she were surveying a small pebble, a stone. “No imagination?” Then the cold gaze swept back to the books, parsing and resorting the ones she’d dismantled.

Ignorance certainly wasn’t bliss in this stature, and while her cool demeanor cast and shed off the trepidation, the apprehension, that might’ve coiled into the void, Outlanders had a knack for not listening to anything Naturals said. How many times had doors been opened already for this interval?  How many times did they go wandering out, expecting something different, for them to be able to change, shift, and alter things for the better? And if it were all so easy to stay within, why hadn’t they?

Because the demons, the infidels, the creatures outside knew exactly how to pinpoint and reach, how to enact siren swells and dubious transgressions, how to lead all of their victims to the slaughter.

Something Mabel admired, really. They were called imperfections of the Voice, but to her, they were awe-inspiring weapons.

Voicing none of those sentiments, her icy demeanor continued, persisted, in searching for a book. “The monsters know how to trick and deceive.”
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out
Arlo Gavanagh
Monster hunter

Change author:
ARLO
He was beginning to think this wasn't just the usual teenage maudlin aggression. He raised an eyebrow at her apparent disdain, a small frown pursed on his full lips. "I suppose not." He shook his head, blonde hair dragging on his shoulders. "I suppose you're from here, and you're use to being bored shitless." Well, if she wasn't going to be polite, neither was he. He rolled his eyes dramatically, his tone making it clear that this place wasn't exactly to his liking.

If he had to be cramped inside for weeks, he'd have liked some form of entertainment, like a TV, a gaming console, someone to fuck, ya know? There was none of that here, although he supposed he might be able to find the last. Apparently monsters and death didn't put people in the mood, though. The mood was somber; nothing like what he'd expected of what was essentially a two week slumber party.

Arlo couldn't help the scoff that escaped him at that. Monsters. How ridiculous. He'd seen that people had died, sure, but it had been there own fault. Why had they gone outside? It was meant to be safe in here. Why deliberately do the one thing you weren't meant to do? "Those monsters or whatever they are wouldn't be able to trick me into going out there." Arlo's tone was haughty, dismissive. "Maybe you, kid, but not me."
'cause i've found god
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

Mabel had come to expect some more Outlander nonsense, tirades of their boredom and lack of motivation to find something to entertain or occupy themselves. She grabbed hold of a book from the shelf, not bothering to read the cover, and tossed it towards him, expecting the man to be able to catch. “Yes,” and nothing more about her own life here – with Evelyn, with the rest of her brothers and sisters, with her parents – because almost all of them were gone. Played into their own foolishness, as this Arlo might’ve done.

Or not, since he didn’t seem very inclined to move.

Backing away from the remnants of the selection, none to her liking, she thought of her knitting needles, the yarn, things left unfinished. “Where are you from?” Curiosity for curiosity’s sake, striving not to place too much disdain into the question. It could be extensions of stories and tales; didn’t Outlanders like to speak of the worlds they left behind? The ones they’d never have again? Stuck here, with the rest of them, scratching at doors and wood, longing to go home?

His scoff earned another arched brow as she wandered a few paces away, thinking of finding a chair. “They pretend to be loved ones, friends, and family.” Maybe he didn’t have any here. Naught to trap him, to lure him out into the void. A smirk deepened on his last statement, the first remnants of a laugh floating through her chest. “Oh, they haven’t gotten me yet.”
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out
Arlo Gavanagh
Monster hunter

Change author:
ARLO
Arlo grinned at her open admittance, and reached up to catch the book that was flying at his face. He wrinkled his nose. He wasn't really a reader, as such. That was kind of... Boring. "Thanks, but no thanks." His tone was mildly disgusted, and he placed the book down. "I'm not that bored yet. You know, I thought this would be fun, like a party." His mouth turned down in a pout. "Apparently, monsters aren't conducive to a good party environment." More's the pity. Maybe they didn't even have parties in this strange, dull land.

Maybe there'd be another place in this world, or whatever it was, that wasn't so drab. Somewhere that he could enjoy his newfound immortality, super speed, and fangs. Vampires were sexy, you know? Nothing about Hollowed Ground was sexy. He raised an eyebrow at Mabel's question, glad it was in line with his own thinking and questioning. "We called it earth. It had fun things, and it wasn't a shithole like this." He said, sulkily. Of course, there were shit holes; he just hadn't lived in them. "What about you? Is this the only place you've lived? Is there anywhere better then this?" At that, he gestured to the cold, dark surroundings.

He narrowed his eyes at her, unsure if she was laughing at him, or laughing with him. She was a strange kid. Maybe growing up in a hell hole like this made you hard, aged you far beyond your appearance. That seemed likely. In the old days, back where he had lived before, that had been the case; sixteen had been pretty much middle aged. "Well I don't have any of those, so I think I'm safe." He drawled, eyes rolling. "How old are you, kid?"
'cause i've found god
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

The man was a bit dull, but she settled in along a chair to pass the time, unfurling strands of her yarn, thinking of a pattern to replicate from memory. His refusal to do nothing more than glance at the book caused her to glance upwards, and then back down again. “What, can’t read?” Which wasn’t uncommon for some Naturals and perhaps Outlanders likewise; she could’ve easily found a few easier books to teach, as she’d done with her younger siblings some time ago, before they perished. A snort followed through though, away from her melancholy thoughts, at the notion of festivities and entertainment. “Parties tend to be noisy and draw the monsters in – the opposite of what we’re trying to do.” Mabel tapped one of her needles against her chin, looking lost in thought for a moment. “But by all means, go ahead and party away outside.” It’d be a short-lived one, but rowdy nonetheless.

Pride in her world, despite, yes, there were bleak moments like these, made her eyes narrow at his next contortion. “Earth didn’t have any fiends wandering around?” No ghouls? No goblins? No immoral infidels? “There are beautiful places in the Grounds too.” Her jaw clenched, the rest of the irritation beginning to swallow her up. “I’ve lived here my entire life.” Had never gone into any portals, not with distrusting, idiotic parents – but the moment LongNight ceased she and her twin would explore, and nothing could hold them back.

No friends, no family, no loved ones – perhaps a perfect way to start over for an Outlander, the baggage and past left behind. Mabel didn’t share the same sentiments, glad to still have Evelyn, both capable of conquering their witless ancestors. Why her age mattered caused an arch to her brow, but she shrugged. “Sixteen.”
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out
Arlo Gavanagh
Monster hunter

Change author:
ARLO
Arlo barked out a laugh at that, but frowned slightly when he saw she wasn't joking, and hadn't even been trying to insult him. "Of course I can read." He scowled slightly, but raised an eyebrow. "Is it... Common to be illiterate here?" Jesus christ, the level of shithole just got higher and higher, apparently.

His face turned thoughtful at that, and then returned to the slightly pissed off scowl. "You are an awfully rude child." He muttered, running a hand through his hair. She was fairly entertaining, though, he could give her that. It was better then doing nothing, although not as good as drinking or fucking. He sighed, loudly. "So, the whole two weeks is like this? There's going to be no drinking games? I don't get it." Arlo pouted. "It's meant to be safe in here, why would a little extra joviality matter?" He questioned, although he didn't expect this kid to have the answers.

Arlo shook his head at the mention of... Fiends. "Only people fiends, although I'm sure here you have those, too, on top of the actual literal monsters." He rolled his eyes slightly. It seemed ridiculous to him. Arlo couldn't help the smug little smile that flittered across his mouth at her annoyance, glad he'd landed a hit. "Doubt it. It's a dump." He grinned. "But I suppose if you've lived here your whole life, you'd have to find beauty in it. Otherwise it'd be really depressing." He nodded in a faintly condescending way. Because, ya know, he had the moral high ground, her being sixteen and all.
'cause i've found god
Mabel Occidendum

Change author:
MABEL

“Yes,” she answered. There were scores of those illiterate – and she could be grateful to her parents for some things, like ensuring they knew how to read and write, while multitudes of other Naturals remained uncertain, unsure, of words displayed upon a page. At his implications of her being a rude child, she merely shrugged, the meant insult rolling off her shoulders. She could be far more than rude, and one day she’d prove it – make the world see exactly who and what she’d become (fangs, wolves, claws, rampaging through eerie evenings, talons extended in a rush of blood and vigilance, violence and anarchy).

Her brow arched while she began her needlepoint, hues immediately blending together in an art she’d long since perfected. “You can start one.” She doubted many would participate, given the melancholy atmosphere. The girl had no answer for his other inquiry though; LongNight had never represented joviality – Flowerbirth frequently took hold of the recovery, the rebuilding, the restoration, save for last year’s Fiat Lux debacle. They never really could have nice things in Caido.

She raised her head at the mention of people fiends, a nod given, a smirk intertwined. “Oh, we do.” Some far more overt about it than others.

His ignorance shown on the insult lanced towards her home, Outlander insinuations (their worlds always so much better than this), and she snorted. “You haven’t seen much then.” If he’d only managed to survey the Temple walls, then she’d understand the notion – but there was far more than constant darkness and the threat of monsters.
I bare my teeth
and stretch my claws out