further from my home, the more i wish it
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
there's an ocean in my body
there's a river in my soul
Longnight had, for a very long time, been a time Sam had associated with terror and tragedy; the upbeat attitude in Torchline, the parties and drunken stumbles outside the house, the lights constantly switching on and off along with the music...it was all very alien to him. Somewhat unnerving, in the odd moments he remembered that it actually was Longnight and not some kind of odd Torchline-only event.

He had done his best to try and be involved; a couple of events stood on the outskirts of parties awkwardly. The only way he could be convinced to go back out was with Zeph, with a quiet promise that he wouldn't be left alone to fend for himself in the social battlefield of a Torchline Longnight rave.

As they approached the square where the event was happening, bright lights shining up into the dark sky and music pouring out down the streets. Pausing, Sam stared ahead and let out a heavy sigh, declaring with a defeated groan: "Oh no. Th-they're dancing."
if I see a sign in the sky tonight
No one's gonna tell me it's a trick of the light
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
we used to play outside when we were young & full of life & full of love
It had been a chore to drag Sam out of the house, but you're pretty sure staying in and moping is terrible for his health. And socializing exclusively with you... Well, one shudders to think of the effect that might have on his poor impressionable mind.

Things had been a little strained since you came home stone drunk a d confessed that you knew his feelings, a topic you've since avoided with studious dedication. That the gods for LongNight, then: it made the payment excuse to shake off the last of the awkwardness and return to easy whatever-you're-doing. You'd heard about a party being thrown by a local matriarch, and so after much wheedling here you are, your redhead charge in tow.

You've dressed in a loose white button down and brown trowsers, and your hair is as close to tame as it's going to get. The wound on your face is scarring nicely, still rather tender but no longer at risk of spilling unpleasant ooze. You've gone to grab yourself a plate of mango; now you return, chewing thoughtfully on a cube, and lean against a wall near Sam. "Y'got somethin' 'gainst dancin', Red?" you wonder wryly, nudging him with your shoulder while mango drips over your lip.
zephyr
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Zeph returned with a plate of mango, something Sam had never tried but now with his limited taste he wasn't sure there was much point in starting now. He watched the juice shine on Zeph's lips, trying to make the stare as not-obvious as possible and failing miserably. It would certainly be one way to find out how it tasted, if he could just lean forward and...

"Oh. Um. ..Well, I've ju-just.." Sam laughed, shrugged and looked down to his feet, shuffling them about. "I've never d...done it, and I don't kn..know how." Another embarrassing admission, another peek into his deeply depressing and embarrassing life up until this point. He'd always felt awkward and self conscious when he'd tried to dance, like his limbs just weren't made for it, as if everyone else had been given some kind of dancing gift at birth that his parents had been sure to avoid giving him.
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
It's a good thing you're from a fictional semi medieval-fantasy universe, because otherwise you'd be asking Sam if his life was actually a Dickens novel. As it is you can only blink as he laughs and reveals the latest tidbit about his tragic youth. "You've never danced?" you repeat incredulously, teasing disbelief clear in your tone and voice. "Not even once?" That can't be true. Everyone has danced sometime, whether as a child or in the privacy of their bedroom.

Another piece of mango passes between your lips, causing you to close your eyes with pleasure. "Mmm, that's good." You're in as good a mood as you ever are, smiling a little when you open your eyes and turn your gaze to Sam. "Alright, well, good thing we came out here. It's time for you to broaden yer horizons. Better late than never, eh?"
zephyr
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Zeph reacted the way Sam had expected and he shrugged with a sheepish smile coming over his face. "I mean...I think...I was al-always worried th..that I would loo..look stupid." He'd recently realised this fear had come from the constant berating of his talents and hobbies by his parents when he was young, but that was a rather dark thing to come out with in the middle of what was meant to be a happy party. "..S...Sometimes, when I'm sw-sweeping my sho..p, I um..sway with the bro..broom a bit..." Sam's voice got quieter and quieter throughout this admission, embarrassment taking over.

He found himself a little jealous that Zeph could enjoy the mango, wished there was a point in him having any. Maybe one day, if by some miracle he managed to free himself from the Voice's shackles...

"Oh, um. You mean...I should tr-try dance here? Um, okay." Wanting to impress Zeph and prove he was really making an effort with the whole 'being social' thing, Sam took a step forward (still rather far away from anyone else dancing) and bent his arms up, began to awkwardly step back and forth as he wiggled them, looking like a dad at a barbecue with back problems. Still, he was trying.
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
"'course y'were." You shake your head indulgently, utterly unsurprised that Sam would have felt too self conscious to dance. "Red, if y'never do things that might make ya look stupid, ya never do anythin' at all." Gods know you've done, time and again. More when you were younger, of course, but that's what youth is for. Looking like a fool and not giving a shit.

You are surprised when instead of cowering, Red decides to dance. And Frey's cock is he bad- but wonderfully, adorably so, flailing like a fledgling Hel on its first attempt to fly. "There ya go Red, yer a natural." Chuckling warmly you pay him on the back, attempting to gently nudge your awkward charge closer to the actual party. "Now add a bit'a hip, eh? Show off that cute ass." Behind him, you wink.
zephyr
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
"...I...su-suppose. Is that why..why you d-do what you do?" Sam asked teasingly, pointedly looking at Zeph's scarred eye. As self-conscious as he was, it was nice to be with someone that he felt comfortable joking around with (and taking the jokes from).

He purposefully tried to not look at Zeph's reaction to his dancing nor anyone elses: Sam was well aware he was the amateur of all amateurs. When he was told he was a natural he fixed Zeph with a disbelieving, sarcastic stare. He could feel how awkward he was, but had no real knowledge of how to fix that: thankfully (?) it seemed like Zeph had some suggestions.

Obligingly he walked closer to the group of dancing party-goers, noticing suddenly that he also seemed to be far more dressed than anyone else around; thankfully it was at least dark and busy enough that no one else seemed to see or care. Over the increasingly loud music he heard Zeph say something about his ass and let out a laugh of embarrassed, flustered panic (sounding something like 'ha HA!'), resisting the temptation to grab his own butt to try and see if there was anything really that notable about it.

"Well h..how about you sh..sshhhow me how you dance." He insisted, folding his arms and standing before Zeph, looking at him as if this were a great challenge. He wouldn't be the only one embarrassed.
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
"Sure is." You say this as though it were the most serious bit of life advice you could ever give, but your eyes glitter with mischief. Used to be you'd do anything once, no matter how ridiculous or dangerous it might be. Never afraid to look a fool if it made others smile, never one to back down from a challenge, never one to let someone else take a hit that you could block. The amusement fades down to something flat and dry. "An' look how far it's gotten me." Stabbed, scarred, humorless, widowed, and with a dead kid. Maybe it's better not to follow in your footsteps after all.

Too late, though, because Sam is making his way closer to the dancers, much to your surprise. Partially out of a sense of protection and partially because why wouldn't you want to? you follow him at a safe-ish distance, still popping mango into your mouth.

Snorting at the suggestion that you show him how it's done, you roll your shoulders in an amused shrug, shaking your head to the side. "I'm eatin'," you point out by way of excuse, though your foot is tapping to the beat. "'sides, I've done my share'a dancin'. Yer turn t'show off fer me."
zephyr
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Zeph seemed to easily go along with his joke at first, but somewhere along the way the humour was lost and he dipped into seriousness: sadly Sam looked back, frowned. "Yes." He said kindly; had they not recently had their awkward talk he would have reached out to touch Zeph's face and gently touch it. Instead he kept his hands by his sides. "Well lo-loved and living in a w..wonderful pl..place where you're happ-py."

Though he wasn't entirely thrilled with Zeph, especially not when the man refused to dance. Feeling this was all a bit hypocritical, Sam sighed and let his eyes wander over to some of the other dancers, trying to see what they were doing. His gaze fell on a couple: a young man and a woman, dancing together effortlessly smoothly. It was clear from the way they danced, close and sensual and laughing, that they were close - his heart ached for it.

"Okay, um.." Deciding to try and give it his all, Sam began to move. At first he started similarly to how he had before, awkward steps back and forth and minuscule wiggles of his arms. After a while of that though, he began to try and mix it up, including things he could see other people doing: swaying his hips to the music, letting that motion run up through his body so his whole torso moved with it; he had no idea how he looked but he let out a laugh, surprised how good it felt. In one last daring show he turned, perhaps lingering a moment with his back facing Zeph.
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
Again you raise an eyebrow as though to say is that so?, but no reaction leaves your lips. Hardly well loved, rarely happy, but you're making do. And despite his awkward tragedies somehow Red is managing to being some brightness into your weary life.

There are many couples dancing, some more explicitly than others. Your gaze follows Sam's to a particularly scandalous pair; it would have been you and El, once upon a time. You would have twirled her around and pulled her back to you, hands taking adoringly over her body, not caring who saw because she was yours. She'd never been much of a dancer, but she'd do it for you.

So maybe you should do it for him.

When Red turns his back to you you finally make your move. You're emboldened by his boldness, inspired by his willingness. Stepping forward suddenly to take the space behind him, you attempt to wrap around and grab his hand, spinning him under your arm to face you. "Not bad, Red," you murmur warmly, looking down through the thick lashes. "Mind if I cut in?"
zephyr
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Sam was, surprisingly enough, having fun. He'd never imagined that dancing could be something he enjoyed (though he still kept his eyes cast to the ground, scared to look up and find that everyone was staring at him, wondering what the hell this dorky grounder was doing). He'd even almost forgotten about Zeph when a hand came around his body and grabbed his own, spun him around; Sam let out a delighted laugh and easily turned.

His sudden grace could not last forever, though: stumbling forward a little, he fell into Zeph, his hands landing on the smuggler's chest. "Oh, um--" Laughing awkwardly he tried to back up a ways, lifting his hands and instead going to uncomfortably hover them somewhere around Zeph's elbows. "How d..do we do this?"
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
He falls against your chest so quickly, light as a bird, tucking in beneath your chin comfortably for a moment before reeling back. A low chuckle rumbles from your breast, though warmth fills your face as you think about the bite, imagining his teeth pushing into your neck and his body pressed within your arms. Focus, Zeph- you know this is a bad road. You aren't trying to flirt with him. Definitely, definitely not.

This is just.... instructional dancing. A lesson. Totally tame.

"It ain't hard," you murmur, gently sliding his hands into yours. "Jus' follow my lead." Stepping forward, you encourage him to follow, your knees bent enough to lend a little sway to your hips. Push and pull, you coax him through the motions, moving away and back together, smiling over stumbles and steadily brightening. It feels good to be dancing and moving, to lose track anything but the music and your partner.
zephyr
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
While Sam didn't have the sex drive he'd once possessed, it would be a lie were he to say he didn't think of the same things every time he and Zeph got close: the chance for closeness, to be held close and admired, desired; there were few people he would be physical with without any pleasure of that sort for himself, but Zeph was one of them.

Though of course, that wasn't going to happen. He'd just fallen against his chest and now they were both moving on, as was proper for two friends. Giving an embarrassed smile at the chuckle he let Zeph take his hands (inwardly sighing at himself at the leap of his heart) and began to try to follow the movements, face down as he stared at Zeph's feet to make sure he stepped along correctly.

Eventually he felt he was getting the hang of it: the leans in and out, the gentle bobbing to the music. It was hardly going to impress anybody, but he and Zeph seemed to be moving together in rhythm, which was enough to please him; with a surprised, happy laugh Sam closed his eyes and really tried to enjoy the moment, the music, the hands in his. If he thought just hard enough, he could make it everything he wanted, without all the buts and what ifs.

When he opened his eyes again he was surprised to find himself closer to Zeph than he thought he'd been. "Oh!" He exclaimed, gave a flustered smile, but didn't move back. After all, it was likely just a part of the dance. "S..So, um...d-do you thi-ink I'm okay f..fffor a first time da-dancer?" He asked, his eyes flicking up to Zeph's own (or at least, the one that opened properly).
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
"Do I?" Gods, you're a sucker for baby blue eyes. He looks so trusting and naive, like he sees the world in you, like you're some sort of hero who's going to sweep him up into your arms and take him away from the tragedy that seems to follow him. And the worst thing is that part of you wants to, desperately yarns to steal him away off to somewhere good and safe where the terrors of the world cannot touch him. To deserve every faith he's placed within you. To be a better man.

Your hands creep down onto his shoulders, hovering, threatening to take his face between your palms- but you stop yourself before you can go further, before you make an irreparable mistake.

Abruptly you attempt to spin him again, this time away from you (because one more second of those fucking eyes and who knows where your resolve will be) and toward the crowd. "Well," you answer, desperate for a change of subject, "Ya certainly impressed someone- look."

And indeed, a young man is watching from the fringes of the dancers, his long dark hair pulled into a ponytail and an appreciative look in his slanted brown eyes. "He's been watchin' ya a while, Red. Whaddya think, ready t'take the next step?" Away from you, and toward something better. Something closer to what he deserves.
zephyr