Heavy are the Shoulders
For Mallorie
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MORGAN
Lay me down
Let the only sound
Morgan had found that the main room of the Arcane Academy was quite a stressful environment to stay in. Full of families both squabbling within themselves and with each other, everyone living and sleeping (or trying to) and talking and eating...while she did not want to be the kind of ruler that deliberately separated herself from the level of her citizens, she also found it nearly impossible to get any clear-headed work done in the corner of the noisy, busy hall.

So she had gone up into the Academy, up into the rooms she had not explored before. She still felt the building was needlessly ostentatious (just like the Launceleyns), but just this once the large array of different rooms was a blessing. Finding a room with a desk and a candle that could be lit, she was content to sit there and draw up her plans, consider details and think in peace.

There was so much to be done in the next season that it was almost dizzying to consider, even for Halo's most well-known strategic planner. She would need to attempt to talk to Gods (a mind-numbing thought), travel to other lands, make arrangements, help with a lot of physical labour. In the quiet and peaceful room, with only the flicker of a candle by her side and the noise of the downstairs finally gone, she was beginning to find herself feeling rather exhausted. Just for a moment, she thought, I will lay down my head..

Thankfully, her ink was dry, because it was not long before Morgan was laying on her plans with her hair over her face, softly sleeping with her breath occasionally ruffling the feather of the pen she had been using.
Be the overflow
Pockets full of stones
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Age: 42 | Height: 5'5/169cm | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 1 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Dutch Offline
Change author:
I'm not the only one
Who finds it hard to understand
Mallorie disliked being in the academy. Felt something unpleasant crawling beneath her skin whenever she looked at it, or thought about it too hard. But she didn’t have much of a choice and so she tolerated it, the unease that seemed built into the very foundations of it.

It looked like she was going to have to get used to the place, anyway…

She sighed and looked around herself, at the unfamiliar walls. Having fled the main hall and the noise and number of irritable Halovians seeking sanctuary, she’d decided to try and make use of being stuck in...this place. To try and find something that could help her to get her head round recent discoveries.

Books, she thought to herself, aren’t schools supposed to have books?

So far she’d found a lot of pomp and onstentation, but not one single library. Perhaps she was looking in the wrong place, or perhaps Halovians put more stock in the oral passage of knowledge. Perhaps it just wasn’t her night.

She was about to give up when she stepped into the room and noticed the flicker of the candle and, after a couple of steps, a familiar figure slumped over a desk.

Mallorie stepped closer, unsure if the warden was asleep or just resting her eyes; she didn’t doubt she had quite the workload lately, and didn’t mean to intrude beyond checking if the other woman was still alive.

Closer, she could see the pattern of her breath on her pen, and relief flooded her. She turned to go and in the dimness knocked the desk Morgan was sleeping on - the curse fell out of her before she could think to stay quiet.

“Shit - ” she hissed, and paused with something that might be a grimace on her face.
I'm not afraid of God
I am afraid of Man
MALLORIE
Base Code by Sky!
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
MORGAN
Lay me down
Let the only sound
Morgan was experiencing the sleep of one truly tired: no dreams, just black flat exhaustion; had she not been disturbed hours would have sped by like seconds and she would not have woken until the 'morning' had arrived (distinguishing such things during Longnight was difficult). The sudden jolt to the desk had her reeling upwards, eyes opening before she was properly alert--

Seeing a figure she jumped up and was about to try and reach for a weapon, when she woke up enough to realise it was Mallorie (probably for the best, she did not hear the muttered curse in her hurry). Still for a moment except for heavy breaths she stared at the new-guardswoman through her dishevelled hair, which had come loose from it's usual tie. "...Forgive me, I.." As the moment began to make itself clearer, Morgan felt hot embarrassment run over her body, something she did not often feel. "I must have been tired while working on papers." Obviously.

Trying to appear nonchalant she lifted her hands to begin smoothing her hair back into place. "Can I help you with something, Officer Woodbourne?"
Be the overflow
Pockets full of stones
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Age: 42 | Height: 5'5/169cm | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
I'm not the only one
The flurry of movement that followed her misstep made Mallorie jump backwards. She raised her left arm instinctively, although she wasn’t wearing her shield. She flushed, embarrassed - something she was distinctively unfamiliar with (and very much disliked) - and dropped her arm when Morgan seemed to settle again.

“I’m so sorry, Warden. I’m still not used to this human thing, it seems.”

Had she still been an elf she wouldn’t have needed to step closer to tell who the sleeping figure was, and she couldn’t help mentally griping a little. Bloody human eyesight.

She had to admit to being a little...distracted by Morgan’s dishevelled appearance. Amused, even. Not that she wished any humiliation on the woman, but it was just...nice to see that she was human. That was someone behind the solid shield she presented to her people. Mallorie suppressed a smile and nodded.

“No need to apologise, we all need to sleep. I can’t imagine you’ve had chance to do much of that lately.”

She sighed at Morgan’s question and looked around herself a little self-consciously. Not sure quite how honest to be. She respected the woman - liked her, even. But she also didn’t relish asking for help or bringing personal issues to the attention of others.

That said, she was in a school for magic. With the woman who’d first mentioned the subject to her. Mallorie looked at Morgan, a little resigned.

“I was looking for a library. It...appears I might need instruction in the…magical...area...”
I'm not afraid of God
I am afraid of Man
MALLORIE
Base Code by Sky!
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
Lay me down
Let the only sound
Mallorie's words about not being used to 'the human thing' drew a slow, confused blink from Morgan. She was still coming around and had no idea what being human had to do with waking her up. "...Right." She agreed distractedly, not wanting to ask for clarification in case it was obvious.

"No, not particularly. Especially not with these current lodgings." She admitted, thankful now that it had been Mallorie to wake her and not a stranger: while she didn't know the woman too well, she could at least tell she wasn't the kind to draw obscene things on her face or otherwise embarrass her in this situation. "I usually spend Longnight at my mothers, but...I thought I should be with the people displaced from their own homes."

Thankfully it seemed Mallorie wasn't here to bring any bad news, at least. Morgan opened her mouth to give directions to the library when the word 'magic' came up: she paused, eyes widening for a moment as she understood. "I see. I will take you there." Walking around the desk she gestured for Mallorie to follow, heading out the door and asking over her shoulder: "So how did you discover your ability?"
Be the overflow
Pockets full of stones
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Change author:
I'm not the only one
Morgan’s disorientation made Mallorie feel a little like she was imposing. She did her best to appear suitably deferential, and stood back from the desk.

“You want to be near your people in a time of crisis. That’s commendable.” She said, hoping to assuage any embarrassment the Warden might feel. “And your people can’t begrudge you sleep.”

She hoped no big deal would be made about her admission, and appreciated Morgan’s practical response in spite of her obvious surprise. Mallorie followed her, arms neatly clasped behind her back.

How much to admit was...tricky to decide. There’d been no dramatic reveal, or sudden explosion of power. Mallorie had mixed feelings about the subject on the whole, without adding how she’d discovered the abilities this world had bestowed upon her.

She sighed.

“I was...taking a moment to grieve. Had a cup of cider to honour some memories.”

Among other things, she thought, a little disapprovingly.

“Suffice to say I thought it was as good a time as any to try and do something,” she scowled as she continued, “looks like I have a new affinity for things of the earth.”

Mallorie felt conflicted enough that she didn’t bother to hide the dubious tone in her voice.
I'm not afraid of God
I am afraid of Man
MALLORIE
Base Code by Sky!
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
Lay me down
Let the only sound
"Mmm..Sometimes it feels like they expect me to go without forever." Morgan mumbled, though not truly angry: she would always go above and beyond for her people and her Citadel, work until every last drop of energy had been taken from her body. She had made that oath when she had first become a guard and it had run it's thread through all she had done since.

Morgan had never had to 'discover' her magic, her own mother being Abandoned and secretly hoping for that in her daughter: since birth she had been encouraged to try and experiment and indeed, her magical ability had shown early. Still, she knew for others (and especially Outlanders) it could be a difficult discovery, one laced with disappointment about rejection from the Gods, or even terrifying; a realisation that your body could do things it shouldn't.

"Things of the earth...ah, I see. I do not have skills in that area: most people here develop water magics, I suppose due to our snow-filled surroundings." She ducked under a low-down archway (this Academy was unnecessarily large and filled with odd little corridors for her liking) and turned to Mallorie just as she came to a door. "You should start practicing. It could be a very useful skill indeed."
Be the overflow
Pockets full of stones
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Change author:
I'm not the only one
Morgan’s tone made Mallorie feel a little more sure of her Warden’s right to the role - acknowledging the difficulties of her position without begrudging the people she pledged to lead. It was...endearingly human.

“I’m sorry I woke you, you really don’t have to help.” Even as she said it, she knew it was pointless; Morgan was up and moving before her words could make an impact.

It was...strange. Being told that her new, strange ability was useful, without being chided like a child. As if magic here was a tool. As if learning how to use it wasn’t restricted to childhood. Mallorie felt a little less self-conscious about it, though she couldn’t say she felt…good about the development.

But that seemed a little ungrateful, so she didn’t voice that thought.

“That makes sense, I suppose. You have an abundance to work from here.” She agreed. “And that’s true, I just...don’t know where to start, really.”

Mallorie followed her through the archways, impressed by the academy’s size, even if she didn’t trust the building itself. The door before her seemed ominous by virtue of what she imagined lay beyond it. The promise of knowledge.  She took a breath and gently clasped her hands behind her back, putting voice to the niggling little query that sat in her chest from the moment she found herself able to curl leaves and shake soil.

“I have a question, if you don’t mind.” She said, before shooting a furtive look up and down their surroundings.

“I understand people with magic don’t have the best reputation here. Is that right?”
I'm not afraid of God
I am afraid of Man
MALLORIE
Base Code by Sky!
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
Lay me down
Let the only sound
"Oh, no, it was a bad position to sleep in anyway. The last thing I need right now is a stiff neck." While she'd never been one to indulge in ridiculous luxury, Morgan knew the benefits of a good comfortable bed well enough to have always tried to make sure she had a stiff mattress and a solid frame (she dearly missed her bed in the Palace, which of course was gone: the sleeping bag in the Academy just wasn't the same).

Morgan nodded, though she wasn't actually all that sure about her theory regarding why so many in Halo had water magic: it might have just been some kind of cosmic coincidence. "Well, you are within the Arcane Academy. I'm sure there must be someone here that could teach you how to use your magic." Most likely not Zariah, who had mysteriously disappeared for the last few weeks, but someone had to know how to use Earth magics around here.

Opening the door to a dusty and dark library, Morgan began to look for matches to light the torches within. "...Not with the Gods, if that's what you mean. After all, they are the 'Abandoned'. But with people? I wouldn't say so."
Be the overflow
Pockets full of stones
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Change author:
I'm not the only one
Mallorie knew the risks of sleeping in an awkward position and huffed, gently, in amusement. She thought of her bedding in the hall, the cold, flat floor, and absently rubbed at her neck.

She knew that the academy was likely the best place for her to explore her skills but still. It was a little uncomfortable even really appreciating that she had them. She shot Morgan a grateful look.

“If not a person, hopefully a book.” She said, only half joking.

Preferably a book, she didn’t say. Still too reticent to entrust the exploration of this new, foundling part of herself to anyone else.

Morgan’s reply made her pause.

“Ah, so that’s what the name means?” She frowned as she spoke. “So these...gods have no interest in people like us?”

Probably the first good thing she’d heard about this. She started helping Morgan to find and light the candles; a faint tremor of anticipation about the knowledge she could be about to learn. The first candle she lit illuminated rows of books, and Mallorie inhaled sharply.

“How many years has this academy been here?”
I'm not afraid of God
I am afraid of Man
MALLORIE
Base Code by Sky!
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
Lay me down
Let the only sound
"Well, we are in the best place to find a book." Morgan said with a gentle smile, motioning to the library which was swiftly appearing before them as she lit candles to illuminate the room. As much as she was hesitant to praise Zariah and her academy, she had to admit that this resource had been useful as she had begun to learn Telekinesis: in the future, she hoped to master more magics from advice within pages there.

With all the candles lit Morgan began to walk down the shelves, looking to see if she could guide Mallorie towards a relevant section. Looking back with a soft shake of her head, she tried to see if there was any disappointment in Mallorie's face. "Not usually. It is possible for Gods to make Abandoned into Attuned, but only for those that really attempt to prove their loyalty. I do not see a reason to." She certainly wasn't going to beg the Gods for anything.

As for how long the Academy had been there: Morgan snorted, wondering if Mallorie thought this the tradition of years. "Perhaps a year? Zariah brought it with her...no idea where she has gone, but I must admit it is useful during this time of year. We may be able to repurpose it."

With that said, she did unfortunately have work to be getting on with - tapping a shelf marked with Earth and Fire labels she smiled at Mallorie then began to walk out. "I should go, but I hope you find what you need; if you ever want to train with me, you only need to ask."

{FIN}
Be the overflow
Pockets full of stones