fresh regrets, vodka sweats
Neron
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
KORBIN
And my hands are not clean,
maybe they never will be
Once past all the large common rooms filled with people and roaring fires, the corridors of the Academy were dark and cool. A maze of stairs and pathways led between classrooms, dormitories and training halls, and somehow Korbin had gotten himself turned around. Not a very strange thing, seeing as he was barely standing up. His 'conversation' with Kiada had left him exhausted, spent in more ways than one, and the bruise on his jaw, the split lip spilling drying blood down his chin was a good match to the turmoil inside.

Keeping a hand against the wall as he roamed the dim path without aim, the young raven wasn't sure what he was looking for. Some quiet corner perhaps, or peace and quiet, or perhaps his sanity. He had misplaced it somewhere, according to everyone he talked to these days. And maybe they were right.

Moving past a door, Korbin's hand against it accidentally knocked it open. Not until it was too late did he register the presence of the guard sitting on a stool on the opposite side of it, and he made a faint grimace as he threw a glance inside.

"My bad," he mumbled, to the bored out of his mind guard and whoever was inside.
But they can still carry you home
when you are ready to sleep
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
the hailstorm
Neron’s visitors usually knocked these days. The fact that he got visitors at all was sort of nice, he supposed, but it wasn’t usually preceded by his door flying open. Arching an eyebrow, the Ascended glanced up from where he had been reading in the dark (no need to waste torches or candles when he could see regardless) and tilted his head, recognising the man who had knocked the door open. Korbin didn’t seem the type to barge in and make a fuss, so he believed it when the man slurred about it being an accident.

”Don’t worry about it,” he said, arching an eyebrow and spotting the glimmer of rusty blood on his chin. ”Get into some trouble, Korbin?” he asked, leaning over to light a candle (and being incredibly careful not to get too close to it, for that matter). ”You’re a long ways away from the main meeting places.”
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
KORBIN
maybe they never will be
Not too many people came equipped with guards around here, so Korbin shouldn't have been surprised to find Neron in the room beyond. But his mind wasn't exactly in the right place, nor was he entirely sober - was he ever, these days? - and it took some squinting and that lit candle before he realized who it was that responded from the dark.

"Someone decided I needed a talking to," he replied, shrugging. "Don't much care for crowds at the moment."

Hovering awkwardly in the door, the boy shot quick glanced around the room beyond. What he could see looked sparse but comfortable enough. The book didn't go unnoticed, though from where he stood it was impossible to make out a title.

"Sorry about the door... I can leave if you'd rather continue your..." He made a vague gesture to the volume, the general solitary silence that hovered about the other.

It seemed peaceful. And boring. But who was he to judge.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
the hailstorm
”A talking to, huh?” Neron sounded amused, rising to his feet from the bed and closing his book to set it aside. He’d be finished with the stack of novels by the end of LongNight at this rate. ”The same kind of talking to that I was going to give to Sunjata, by the look of it.” Beckoning for Korbin to come inside, he busied himself lighting a few other lamps.

”No crowds to be found here, you’ll be pleased to notice. People tend to leave me well alone.” Which suited him just fine. ”Pretty sure I’ve got something that we can use to clean your face up, come on. Who laid one on you? It’s only been a few days into the week. If people are already going stir crazy enough to fight then we’re going to be in trouble.” Luckily that wasn’t really his problem anymore.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
maybe they never will be
He hesitated, not exactly enthusiastic about the prospect of adding another mother hen to the list of those already clucking after him. But the prospect of quiet was enough of a temptation to lure him inside, the door clicking quietly shut as Korbin closed it behind him.
"We can trade, if you like," he offered, picking at the rusty flakes on his chin. "For some reason they keep coming after me, even when I tell them to fuck off."

Warily he found his way to a chair and eased himself down, careful in the way of someone drunk or injured or both. He chewed on the question of who roughed him up, contemplated keeping quiet about it. But in the end there didn't seem to be a point; word would eventually get around anyway. It always did. "Kiada. She was disappointed that I didn't lie when I claimed to be a jerk." Korbin tried a smile, but found that it was an ill fit on his face at the moment. So he just followed Neron with his gaze instead as the man moved about the room, unable to look away for long.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
the hailstorm
”That’s quite alright. I have gotten used to the peace and quiet. Not sure I would want to give that up just yet - though depending on your decisions about the Kraai, I may have to face the crowds again soon enough.” Giving a wry smile, Neron nodded to his guard and clicked the door shut behind them so he could help Korbin to clean himself up.

Every room came with basic medical supplies, so it wasn’t too much trouble to find something to help out the bruised young man. Bringing over a washbasin of fresh water, Neron soaked a cloth in it and squeezed out the excess, offering it to Korbin in case he would prefer to do it himself.

”A grieving man is hardly a jerk,” he said with a crooked sort of smile. ”Though it must have been quite the remark to make her hit you.”
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
maybe they never will be
Korbin very much preferred to do the cleaning himself, and accepted the damp cloth with a nod of thanks. It was very ironic that the only one who actually respected his words and personal space was the former dictator.

"Something along the lines of 'all outlanders are a plague of The Voice, arrogant and disruptive and one day their meddling will bring ruin to this region'. Except Chulane was the one I actually said it too, and apparently it was enough to make him want to quit his job and leave Halo."

Korbin's gaze remained on Neron as he spoke. The words very much applied to him as well, and it could even be argued that they'd already seen the kind of ruin he was talking about in action. Of course, his being Ascended hardly made it better.

"Still don't think I'm a jerk? Still care to work with someone like me?" He didn't expect it, frankly. But like he'd told Chulane, it wasn't as though Korbin was capable of doing anything about it. Not the changes or the outlanders or the Ascended... Voicing his displeasure was as far as he was ever likely to go. And they could still prove him wrong.

Not that anyone had, so far.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
the hailstorm
Leaving Korbin to clean himself up, Neron stepped back and sank down onto the bed, elbows on his knees as he heard the young man out. Perhaps what he said should have stung, or should have caused him to feel outrage or anger, but... maybe he was just too cold, these days. ”We are a plague of the Voice,” he agreed with a roll of his shoulders. ”We didn’t ask to be brought here, and we are just trying out best to make a life now.”

That didn’t necessarily make them worthy of scorn, but he could certainly understand Korbin’s upset. The only thing that furrowed his brow was the remark about Chulane; he held the vet in high regard, and it would be a shame to see him quit. ”Sounds as though you need an Outlander to change your mind a bit,” he said. ”I’d still work for you if you’d have me. Do you plan to be drunk while you run the show?”
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
maybe they never will be
He had expected disagreement, and not for the first time Korbin found himself startled by unexpected reactions. But that's how it always started, wasn't it? They did something unexpected, caught his attention, and after making a bunch of promises they disappeared.

"Oh really. And are you going to do it?" he asked, grimly amused. "Don't get me wrong, you're possibly the least offensive of the Outlanders I've come across so far, but I dare say you're one of the most destructive." No one else had managed to get the whole Citadel attacked, guards killed et cetera. "I keep hearing people tell me that I gotta embrace change and that it's inevitable... In my experience change brings on death, or death forces change. In other words, the only thing I would be accepting is more misery, and I'm really tired of that kind of thing right now."

Rubbing at the dried blood on his face, he folded the damp cloth over to find a clean spot. As he leaned back into the chair, he sighed. "I plan to stay drunk until I find a reason not to be. So far, there's none." Once he thought most of the blood was gone, Korbin pressed the damp cloth against his eyes. "If you want the job, it's yours. No one else has shown any interest anyway."

For all the cocksure words, Korbin didn't sound very confident. Just tired, as if the dark rings under the eyes wasn't enough of a giveaway. Perhaps it was hypocrisy to fist call someone a menace and then hire them, but Korbin was beyond caring at this point.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
the hailstorm
”Maybe - maybe not. How’s my track record so far?” Neron smirked, running a hand through his fair hair and sitting up again. ”I might well be one of the most destructive; in decision if not in action, at least. But you aren’t the only one trying to learn to cope in a world that is suddenly very different.” From Warden to... well, bartender apparently. It was a bit of a career sidestep. ”Change is inevitable but stability is important. I did my best to bring that kind of stability to Halo up until the Eirachi situation came to a head.”

And now they needed to get stable all over again. No wonder Korbin was a mess - so was the whole Citadel. ”Well, so long as you aren’t too drunk to run the place. There’s going to be a lot of people looking to the Kraai as a sanctuary. Best we act like it is.”

But the boy was tired, and hurt, and still half-cut. Neron rose to his feet, gesturing to the bed. ”You should try and sleep it off for a bit,” he suggested. ”As your new employee I would say it is in your best interests.”
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
maybe they never will be
Neron made a good point, one that hadn't really been raised before. Stability... Whether it had been stated aloud or not, that was probably the reason behind Weaver's new choice of occupation, something both of them had been sorely lacking for most of their childhood. In his case, it had been found only to abruptly be taken away again. It could even be argued that it was not so much the change he disliked, but the instability that came with it.

Peering out from under the rag, Korbin assessed the man all over again. He couldn't quite shake the feeling of unreality that gripped him whenever he spoke to Neron. Like it was some surreal event not quite of this world. How was he doing so far? Above and beyond all Korbin's expectations, truth be told. Maybe that's what felt so strange... He actually rather liked the guy. Horrible decisions and destructive fallouts notwithstanding. "I suppose I don't feel like punching you in the face yet... some might call that progress," he offered with a half smile. "And I'll try to keep the drink to a minimum... Just... don't feel like stopping just yet."

Setting the rag aside to dry, Korbin looked from the bed to Neron and back again. Much as he appreciated the offer, it felt beyond weird to sleep in someone else's room, not to mention bed. Especially if the owner was still there. His misgivings reflected quite clearly in the pause before he replied.  

"Thanks, but... it's your room. Don't want to intrude." Not more than he already had. Not that it wasn't tempting; the peace and quiet already let him relax far more than his usual corner.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
the hailstorm
Scoffing, Neron couldn’t really ask for much more than that. ”I’ll take it,” he said. ”Do tell me if that changes, though. I’d like a little warning before your fist heads towards my face.” Mainly because he’d quite like to not punch Korbin back instinctively (though really, the likelihood of that was minimal - Neron was a no brawler). ”And I suppose that is only fair. All things considered, if you’re running a bar I imagine people will expect you to be sampling the wares.”

As for intruding, Neron could only shrug to him. ”The offer still stands. I don’t sleep, so... the bed hasn’t exactly seen much use, other than a place to sit and read,” he pointed out. ”And I can always go for a stroll with my best friend the guard, if you want to get your head down for a bit. Choice is yours.”
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
maybe they never will be
"If I remember, I'll give you a heads up," Korbin retorted, half smiling again. He usually wasn't a brawler either, but like so many other things, it appeared to have changed.

It could be argued that it was a vast difference between tasting samples and getting himself plastered, but Korbin was in no mood to argue semantics. He eyed the bed as it was offered again, and after a moment he got to his feet, crossed the floor and sat down. Very self conscious, and trying very much not to breathe too deeply when unfamiliar scents rose up from the sheets.  

"You don't have to leave," he murmured awkwardly. "If you want to, the bar could use some tending, but... Not gonna run you out of your own room." Or kickstart the guy into his new job, for that matter.

All that said, it was a rather luxurious thing, to stretch out on the bed. His back had grown used to floors and corners, to stealing moments of sleep between nightmares and anxious tossing. It wasn't his own, but the quiet and the closed door were still a comfort Korbin had grown unaccustomed to in a surprisingly short amount of time.

"Can I ask you something?" Tucking an arm under his head, Korbin looked up at Neron.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
the hailstorm
”Appreciate it,” Neron said with a fanged smirk, moving as if to gather his things and make the most of the Academy while Korbin napped, though the boy’s words stopped him. Raising a brow, the Ascended shrugged and slumped down into a comfortable chair, looking more comfortable than he had any right to be.

”I can’t feel pain but I think my body would protest if I dragged it out in this temperature,” he said, wry amusement lacing his tone. ”As soon as the sun comes up though, it’ll be my first priority.” If he knew anything about the people of Halo, they would definitely want a drink after this - Korbin was far from alone in that.

Tilting his head, not having expected the question, Neron rolled a shoulder in an easy shrug. ”Ask away,” he said.