live with my quiet rage
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
And I'm not expecting you to care, but I have finally seen the light
Why give a job to others when you could trust yourself to do it?

Morgan had considered who was best to go with Neron to the shrine over the last few days of Longnight and had ultimately decided it had to be herself. While she trusted her council, they had not worked together for very long and she was not sure she could give any of them such a task. She had gotten him at the middle of the night in the last day of Longnight, so they could travel to the Hollowed Grounds just as the first morning appeared. If the situation was that dire, she was sure he would appreciate the haste.

Riding on Eunike with Neron behind her on the same saddle, they had reached the Outskirts. Following Neron's directions, she intended to follow him to the shrine then wait hidden nearby until he was done: she had no desire to speak with the 'Voice', sure that whatever it had to say, she didn't want to hear it.

"How close to death would you estimate you are?" She asked as they slowly moved on through a rough patch of ground, wanting to know just how desperate this was - if Neron had dragged her out here for nothing.
Morgan
Base Code by Sky!
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
NERON
the hailstorm
Ah, Morgan. Ever the cheerful soul.

Neron had climbed up behind her on the unicorn what felt like an age ago, the two of them riding out into the deep snows just as the sun finally crested over the horizon. It was an unwelcome thing for the Ascended, and he rode in relative quiet, the wide hood of his coat drawn up to shield his face from the sun’s rays.

It wasn’t the only reason for his silence, the other being the pull of what he could only really name as hunger, these days. It wasn’t quite the same, the need to go to the shrine and rejuvenate himself, but it was the closest thing to describe that kind of sensation. Pale and drawn, whilst the Hailstorm didn’t sleep, he still had to stop himself from embarrassingly lolling against Morgan’s back as they rode.

”I have time,” he told her quietly, glancing around at the unfamiliar territory of the Hollowed Grounds. He was fairly sure they were lost, actually, but more fool him to tell Morgan what to do.

”There’s a bear,” he warned, as the unicorn brushed close to where the bare grasses met the skeletal trees, melting snow interspersed between everything. He saw it, prowling alongside them, at least as starving as he was.
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
There was a part of her, bitter and in tune with the anger of her people, that was a little disappointed to hear that Neron had time yet to live. Still, practically, it was good to keep prisoners alive and truthfully, she didn't want Neron to die. He was irritating, egotistical and selfish, but he wasn't evil: she felt with enough patience, he could potentially be useful one day in the future.

Far, far in the future.

She was a little lost, but she hoped eventually it would become obvious enough where the shrine was: perhaps the ground would be visibly corrupted, or the air surrounding it poisoned with the Voice's electric aura. Morgan was about to ask Neron for further directions (not that it seemed he knew much better) when he spoke; she looked out through the trees and saw indeed a dark shape. "Wait here."

Stopping Eunike, she slowly slid off the unicorn and began to step towards the trees, drawing her sword: not intending to anger the bear, but ready in case of an attack. It seemed it didn't need any help with aggravation, though: the second it heard Morgan touch down on the ground, a low deep growl sounded out across the forest and it began to run towards them.
Morgan
Base Code by Sky!
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NERON
the hailstorm
”Be careful.” Neron didn’t need to warn her, but given that he wasn’t planning to defy her orders of not fighting a bear when he felt wretched, it was pretty much all he could offer. Turns out, though, he might not have a choice in the matter. Steel blue eyes widening a fraction as the creature erupted from the woods, it didn’t take much for Neron to note that it didn’t look entirely... normal.

To begin with it was nearly as big as a damned Ursur, and there was something off about its jaws, like it had too many teeth. Either way, it charged Morgan with a gurgling sort of roar, and if she went down then it would likely eat her - and her little dog unicorn, too.

So Neron climbed down from the saddle, his body already warning him against the fatigue even as he broke into a run after her. Raising a hand, a wall of ice began to spring from the ground in front of the Warden, hopefully diverting the animal around and buying them more time.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Had Morgan not been concentrating on the bear's movements, she would have given Neron a very harsh look for his unnecessary advice; as if she was going to be anything other than careful as the beast began to lumber towards them. She noticed too that the bear was not simply an angered normal creature: immediately she knew something was deeply wrong and her jaw stiffened as she adopted a strong stance, held her sword confidently before her.

When she was about to land the first strike into the gaping, roaring mouth advancing towards her, there was suddenly ice between her and the beast: she look back to see Neron and while she could see he was trying to help, she now had to line up her strike again. At least the wall did have it's intended effect, the bear diverting and running around it, giving Morgan some time to produce ice underneath herself to lift herself up and attack from above.

And she did: one definite, hard strike down into the bears head. For any normal creature, that would be it; this was not a normal creature. The bear roared and with the gash in it's forehead bleeding profusely, revealing bone and brain beneath, it continued to charge: catching Morgan off guard and knocking her down to the side: she groaned and tried to swiftly get up, but was winded.
Morgan
Base Code by Sky!
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
the hailstorm
Well would you look at that. Teamwork! Sort of. Continuing towards the bear (and the maiden fair), Neron prepared more magic at his fingertips, though he was pleased to see that Morgan already had the matter in hand. The bear made its way around his wall and the Warden rose up on a plinth of ice, before dropping down upon the creature like a jackknife. And Neron almost slowed his steps, figuring that to be the end of it, when the monstrous thing continued to fucking charge.

Hissing a curse under his breath, instead of saving his dwindling energy, the Ascended was forced to use even more of it. He closed the distance between himself and Morgan, getting in front of her just as the bear rounded on them with a swipe that nearly took Neron’s head off.

Nearly. Not quite.

But it did throw him clear over the grass, tearing a deep set of lacerations across his chest and shredding through both his coat and shirt. Whoops.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan gritted her teeth and began to push herself up, but things were looking grim: that was until suddenly Neron was stood above her, between her and the bear. That he was trying to save her occurred to her slowly as it felt so bizarre (did he not see what an opportunity this was to run? To let her die and go on his way?) and there was a moment that felt eternal as she tried to understand it and get up all at once.

Then time caught up with her and rushed past; Neron was on the ground, his chest wet with spilt fluid and if she did not act quickly, the bear would attempt to have him for a meal. Forcing herself back solidly onto her feet, Morgan reached for the warhammer on her back and with all her strength, slammed it into the side of the bear as it went by, trying to hook it from underneath with the sharp end.

This appeared to work: a spray of blood and guts erupted from the bear, painting the snow and trees behind Morgan as well as a healthy amount of her arm; the beast fell to the ground with a heavy thud as the last of it's breath left it. Morgan stood for a moment catching her breath, panting with her hammer slick in her hands from blood - then her eyes fell back to Neron.

"Are you alright?" She asked, though she could guess at the answer as she got closer, kneeling down next to Neron and seeing the glistening fluid on his chest. "What can I do?"
Morgan
Base Code by Sky!
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
the hailstorm
It was Neron’s first real taste of this no pain deal, and it was a handy little thing, he had to admit. That didn’t mean the situation wasn’t dire - and his body was telling him calmly, methodically, that it was very dire indeed - but it was a nice change not to be a screaming mess on the floor. Clumsily dragging himself upright on his knees, the Ascended touched long pale fingers to the mess of his chest, to the fluid still rapidly bleeding out of him.

Sealing it with ice was out; that would only cause more issues in the long term. And there really wasn’t time now to get to a shrine...

Morgan’s voice punctured through a ringing in Neron’s ears that had gone unnoticed until that point, the Hailstorm glancing up at her. Words took longer to form than he’d have liked - or it felt like they did, anyway - and he blinked hard to concentrate.

”Hn... Approximately five minutes from death, give or take,” he grated, referring to their earlier conversation. ”You? Nice job...” He nodded at the bear.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan had heard that the Ascended didn't feel pain, but it wasn't until she saw Neron covered in his fluid but still that she really understood it. It was strange, uncanny and unnatural. It made her want to leave him to his fate, but there was still enough of human in his eyes for her not to be able to do that: he was still a person, still worthy of saving.

Five minutes didn't sound good. Neron didn't answer her question and Morgan let out a sigh, not sure if normal medicine applied here but not having any other ideas: she took off her cloak then began to wrap it around Neron's chest, tightly compressing the wound; a bulky solution, but one that would do for now. "You need to tell me how to help. I do not know how to treat Ascended wounds. Should I...attempt to find your Goddess?"

That really was not something she wanted to do (or knew how to), but if she had to, she would. Maybe she'd have a chance to give the Voice a piece of her mind on the way.
Morgan
Base Code by Sky!
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
the hailstorm
Neron did not think that Morgan trying to find the Voice would be a good idea for anyone involved, the Hailstorm pressing a hand to the cloak she wrapped about his chest. If he lived he’d probably have to make up for that; getting Ascended fluid all over the Warden’s garments? The horror. ”Uh...” he began helpfully, nodding across at Eunike. ”Your unicorn. Does it heal? I was able to heal myself once before, with a unicorn horn. I don’t know if that is the same now I’m Ascended, but...” He shrugged, the movement slow, unsteady.

”Doesn’t stop the amount of fluid I’ve lost, though,” he continued. He doubted any healing from something natural would replenish the his artificial lifeblood - and that was what was killing him, ultimately. ”You know how to resolve that - I’ve told you before. But I doubt that is something you wish to consider.”
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Morgan glanced up at Eunike questioningly but got her answer from her companion in moments: no, not for one like him. Whether it was personal preference or actual impossibility she wasn't sure, but it was clear through their bond that Eunike would not be helping here. "No. She won't be able to help you." She told him quietly, feeling as if she were signing a death certificate with the words.

Then Neron reminded her that there was another way: the bite. He didn't say it by name, but what else could he mean, after their awkward conversation in the tower? He was right that it wasn't something she wanted to consider, but as Morgan sat there in silence staring at his face, she did not know that she could consider leaving him to die either. She was hard, strong, did not have any love for the Ascended and especially not Neron...but she was not heartless.

Gritting her teeth, she looked around them. No one in sight, and they were obscured by trees and Eunike; if what they were about to do was shameful, it would at least be private. Of course, she was determined that nothing would come of it, nothing like what he had said (maybe he had just been trying to rile her up). With a sigh, Morgan shoved up her sleeve and bunched it at her elbow and thrust her wrist in front of Neron's face, her eyes boring into his: you know how much this means. Appreciate it.
Morgan
Base Code by Sky!
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
the hailstorm
”Perfect,” Neron murmured; of course the unicorn wouldn’t be able to help. That would have been easy, that might have generated something like hope in a dire situation. Wouldn’t want to do that now, would we. Continuing on his entirely unfair (and thankfully internal) tirade, he could practically feel it as his mind started to slow. Thoughts felt fuzzy around the edges, like trying to think through soup, and so - unaware that Morgan had even been looking at him to begin with - when the Warden thrust her wrist in front of his face, it took a moment to register what she was doing. What she was offering.

His lips parted as if to say something, before Neron wisely thought better of it, giving her a gentle nod as confirmation that yes, he understood. This was not a gift to spurn and even as he reached for her wrist, he was aware that she could well change her mind even now

But she didn’t, and Neron leant in to press his lips to her flesh, fangs slipping into her veins with an ease that hadn’t been present the first time he’d had to do it. Blood welled and the rush of pleasure was instant, crackling through him like electricity. He couldn’t taste as he had done when he was Abandoned, but he swore that her blood was sweet; he was probably delirious, though.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
Mature Content Warning 
Thankfully, Neron for once seemed to understand when to keep quiet and use his mouth for what was needed. Morgan stared at a tree ahead of them, kneeling in the snow with the stark smell of the bear's blood coming through the air, unsure of what to expect at all from the bite. She did not fear the pain; she had had enough pain for thirty lifetimes and knew how to shoulder it. What she did fear though was the promised 'pleasure'; the special ability Ascended apparently held to draw victims back to themselves over and over again.

At first, there was just the sharp stab of teeth in her skin; she didn't flinch, finding it mild enough. Then suddenly, hitting harder than any punch, the sensation of pleasure arrived. Her lips parted in a gasp as she pressed her eyes tight shut, leaning forward with the fingers on both her hands tensing as heat she had not felt in a long time began to run through her. Morgan was known as the glacier: she was cold and strong, determined and to many as hard as steel...but beneath the armour and the commands, there was still a human there; a woman who had not been touched in years.

She was suddenly keenly aware of Neron's lips on her wrist and the way her legs were tucked underneath her; she did not dared to look at him. Implementing the same mental fortitude she'd taken to the battlefield for years she let out a soft sigh and looked away over the snow, pretending that the images that were beginning to bloom in her mind simply weren't there.
Morgan
Base Code by Sky!
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
the hailstorm
Already weakened and hungry, it would have been so easy for Neron to slump against Morgan in that moment, carried by the heat in his veins and the taste of her on his lips. Eyes slipping shut, there was only the drum of her heartbeat mimicking one he did not possess any more and the urge to touch, to explore, to move against her. He didn’t of course, but it was only a lack of energy that prevented him.

Lucky too, that he knew not to get carried away, and a few more blissful seconds dragged by before he finally released her, the back of his hand pressing to reddened lips. Around them things felt too quiet, too still, especially now that the danger of the bear had been dealt with. ”Thank you,” he said at last, shattering the silence.