Personal Quest Make it again, but better
Open PQ to rebuild the Citadel Gates
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
MORGAN
Some nights, I wish that my lips could build a castle
Some nights, I wish they'd just fall off
Finally, the Deepfrost winds had lessened their grip enough for the Citadel to be more free moving; Morgan had not hesitated to begin her plans. The second day of Flowerbirth, once she had dealt with Neron and given her people a chance to settle back into her homes, she began the work that would define their year as a people. First things first: a new gate.

She had tasked craftspeople with making the components over Longnight. Two large metal grates with spikes on one end, slabs of wood with iron reinforcements to make the doors and a series of gears and pulleys for the mechanisms. Now it needed to be assembled and made into the better reinforcement she hoped it would be: if Morgan could help it, no one would break the gates again, at least not in her lifetime.

While she waited for people to arrive to help, she melted the ice she had placed up in the hole during Longnight, having the water flow out towards the Tundra in large waves. Morgan had put out a call in the Academy for those available to assist once the Longnight was over and she hoped that they would keep to their promises, now that she was taking down the precautions in place for the work to begin.

------
There are 2 free places in this PQ, open to anyone. Morgan aims to make a wooden/iron gate with double porticullis metal grates on either side (like this, but on a bigger scale).

1. Mallorie
2. Noah
3. Neron
4. Korbin

Please write with your character arriving! No post order for this round.
But I still wake up, I still see your ghost
Oh Lord, I'm still not sure, what I stand for
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
KORBIN
And round about his home the glory
That blushed and bloomed,
He had always turned up to help when it was requested in the past. And perhaps that was one way to explore who he was now. Who he was to become now that there was no back to reach for, no tracks to step in... now that he had to pick his own path. Maybe, by returning to where he used to be, Korbin could figure out if it was really where he still wanted to stay.

Besides, he had some goodwill to earn back. It was a subdued Korbin who showed up to the gate to lend his hands to whatever task was required, and he said little, only nodding a greeting to Morgan and whoever else turned up. For the first time in a long while he was completely sober, cleaned up and properly dressed for the weather.

It wasn't much, but it was a start.
Is but a dim-remembered story
Of the old time entombed.
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
NERON
show me how defenceless you really are
Neron had said that he would help out wherever possible with the Citadel’s repairs, and here he was. Fresh from the Voice and all charged up and ready to go, there was still the minor issue of the sun, but he made sure to be careful lest he burst into flames. So it was that he showed up to Morgan’s little meeting with the gates with his best friend the guard in tow; he was no longer travelling with Madam Warden, so his usual had returned to follow along after him and scowl.

The components looked complicated but the materials seemed sturdy, Neron appraising them with a barely discernible nod. ”I’ll help wherever I can,” he said to her. ”Put me wherever you feel I would be most useful.” That might well provoke an answer like that would be inside, Neron, where you are not in the way, but so be it.
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Age: 42 | Height: 5'5/169cm | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 1 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Dutch Offline
Change author:
How can we know where we are if the sun is behind us?
Mallorie didn’t know the full details of what fate had fallen the original gates, but she felt it was time to start providing a more tangible helpful hand to her new home. Even if it meant attempting minor engineering feats, and having to try her best to be sociable. She eyed the group who’d answered the Warden’s call as she approached. Felt like she recognised a few in passing from Longnight in the academy, though little more than name and face came to mind.

Then she looked over the space cleared for them. The components looked complicated - or at least like putting them together would be. Sturdy though, and Mallorie nodded at her companions and the warden. Wondered how many more of them there might be.

“Where do you want me?” She asked, arms clasped behind her back.
MALLORIE
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 10 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 49 - Endr: 51 - Luck: 47 - Int: 1
EIRA - Mythical - Griffin (Venom) VI’ADORE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Time Offline
Change author:
MP: 1005
Nothing ever comes without a consequence or cost

Noah seemed the last to arrive, but he didn't take any fault in that. After returning from his first Flowerbirth hunt, he had been working hard to set the Academy back in order as he had found it. No--he had worked hard to leave the place better than he had found it. Without Zariah, the woman a prisoner who refused to move from her room (he assumed), dust and grime had started to appear before the hunter had made it suitable to host the civilians for Longnight. Now, it was in excellent shape again.

As the tall man approached he nodded to all those in company, and gave Korbin a friendly pat on the shoulder. "Let's get rolling." He smiled, broadly, feeling rejuvenated as the sun beamed down on them and glinted off of the snow. If he listened well enough, he could even hear some of it melting around--not including that which Morgan melted using her magic.

NOAH OLSON
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
MORGAN
When Morgan turned around from melting the ice away, she was very surprised to see Korbin. After their testy talk over Longnight and the man's general unwillingness to rub along with anyone else right now, he had not been who she was expecting to see. If he wanted to help though, as long as he would do a good job, she was willing to let him join in.

Neron was more expected, as he'd said he would assist with future repairs. Morgan gave him a perfunctory nod, eyes moving off him quickly as if she did not want anyone else to think anything of him. Mallorie received a warm smile (she was shaping up to be a good guard already, Morgan thought) and Noah too, the council member earning his title.

"Thank you all for coming." She said to everyone gathered. "It's still cold, but the winds have stopped enough for us to do this important work: our whole Citadel will be safer and more secure after this, which I'm sure is something we can all bond over wanting." Even with the many differences in opinion over the group.

She turned to the open hole of the gate, now empty once again with the water having spilled out. There were remnants of the old gate clinging to it, determined parts of the ramparts that were damaged but not gone: it was not good to build anew atop of a shaky foundation. "First, we will need to give ourselves a better start to work from. I am going to clean the stone and melt any remaining ice, so everything will fit nicely. Then we will need someone to remove the old wood - that may be a two person task...then someone to sand down the spikes on the metal portcullis so we can be sure it is sharp and ready. Finally, someone to assist the stone smith in making holes and grooves in the ground for the gate to fit in." Whatever they did was up to them; as long as it was done, she didn't mind.

With the orders given, she set to her own task, blasting the stone with a fine shot of water which stripped away the mould and dirt, revealing clean masonry beneath.

---
These tasks are required:

1. (Two people) Remove the wood of the old gate: There are large splinters on the top and bottom of the gate which need to be removed and disposed of.
2. Sand down the spikes of the portcullis gates. You can do this with sanding blocks/paper, or something more creative if you have an idea!
3. Help the stonesmith (you can make up a name if you like) dig grooves and holes in the ground by helping to hold things still, putting pressure on a drill, marking things out, etc

No post order for this round!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
KORBIN
And round about his home the glory
That blushed and bloomed,
A faint smile ghosted across the young man's face as Noah approached him. He accepted the pat on his shoulder and lingered near the hunter, drawing strength and comfort from the man's presence. Morgan's gaze on him felt heavy even though she didn't say anything, and while he was pleased to see Neron live up to his promises it was still rough to stand there and pretend like he was alright.

Fortunately, the work did not require sociability on his part. Only to listen and put his hands to work. "I'll remove the wood from the upper part of the gate," he offered. Whoever wound up helping did not matter; Korbin only waited long enough to hear who else would be joining him in the task before he set to.

Shifting into the raven, he easily flew up to the top of the gatehouse and found a perch. Returning to his human form, Korbin set to work and began to pry at the splintered wood, and did his best to ensure that the pieces did not fall on anyone below.

-----

Korbin picka task 1 and starts removing wood from the top of the gate.
Is but a dim-remembered story
Of the old time entombed.
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

Noah probably should have gone home to rest for a while. The thought, however, did not cross his mind for one minute. He had things to do, people to see, animals to hunt, grounds to scout...he had no time for rest. He could rest when his work was done. For now, he stood beside Korbin and listened to Morgan's instructions. He surveyed the damage that, the once-Captain now-Warden, had sat near and spoken that night of the attack. This would be a hefty job for the crew gathered. Noah let his eyes wander over them again. Neron, the once-Warden, he knew to be Ascended. What kind of strength did that give him for their favor? A woman Noah did not know, save for seeing her face in the Academy from the week passed. Korbin, able and strong but still not entirely himself. Morgan, strong and determined. Himself, willing.

"I will aid the stoneworker." While typically he might have chosen to work with Korbin, the boy he knew and trusted, of those gathered Noah looked the most able-bodied. He was taller, broader, hardier than the others (save for Korbin, who grew an inch taller than him). He smiled some towards the man he knew more by face than by name, reputation more than conversation. He watched for a moment as the raven set to work, and then he moved over to the mason to await instruction. When it was given, Noah hoisted tools into his strong arms and followed the man.

Noah will help the mason.
NOAH OLSON
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Age: 42 | Height: 5'5/169cm | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
The tasks seem simpler than first expected, now they’re broken down into parts.

Mallorie watches her companions start heading their own way. It seems the Warden has gathered a suitably motivated group, and she silently approves of them though she doesn’t know them personally.

She steps forward, taking up some of the sanding blocks and approaches the portcullis parts with an assessing eye. Each part looks heavy enough that she likely can’t hold them up and sand them at the same time - not without assistance at least. She casts a quick look around herself, but changes her mind; after a moment’s consideration she decides she could probably lift each part and drag it to rest against the wall on its side. There she can sand the ends without having to also hold them upright.

So, she places the sanding block on the nearest surface and sets about moving the parts into position.

Mallorie moves the portcullis parts to be able to sand them.
MALLORIE
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NERON
With everyone choosing their own tasks, Neron was quite content to mop up after whatever was left. And that would be accompanying his new boss, as it turned out, the Hailstorm gazing up after Korbin and smirking as he watched the raven easily find purchase to pry the wood from the gateway. For Neron it was a little more complicated, but with the help of his water magic, he managed to create steps of ice to climb and achieve the same end.

Did he imagine he’d be doing something like this at the start of last Deepfrost? Absolutely not. But the view was breathtaking enough, and the wood was coming away easily from the gates. Like Korbin he attempted to aim it all in the same place, careful not to drop it on anyone.

Neron joins Korbin in removing splinters from the gates.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN
The work Morgan had set herself was somewhat calming, when she got into it. Seeing the clean rock come through and eventually take over from the filth, grooves redefined and the gate restored to some of it's finer glory, she felt like the task before them was more possible than it had seemed when they had begun.

Korbin and Neron both had their own ways to reach the splinters of the door that needed to be removed. Neron was successful, his ice stairs easily allowing him to ascend (ha) and grab the splinters to toss them down. Korbin was less so, the perch he'd found as a raven not quite as steady as a human and the imbalance damaging his work. Still, between the two of them, they managed to clear out the old remnants of the gate.

Mallorie would find that she could move the portcullis successfully (Morgan, looking over, was very impressed indeed by this feat) but that sanding them was a different matter, especially with the cold still biting at fingers and making everyone stiff. While she did succeed in the end the work would be difficult and the final result, while functional, was not necessarily beautiful.

Noah unfortunately would have the worst luck of the lot. While he was indeed strong, perhaps he was too tired: the mason would groan and sigh as he lost his grip on the tools that had been given to him, cascading them to the cobbled ground and one particularly heavy hammer landing on his foot. Tsking, the mason would walk away to start digging into the stone floor himself, clearly having lost faith in the help.

When Morgan found that most of the stone was clean she stood back and gathered those who had finished their work. "Next, we need to lift the doors up and in. I believe two to a door should do it, if someone would help me...?" Lifting one side of one of the huge slabs of wood and iron, she waited for someone to take the other. The remaining half of the door would need another pair: it would take quite a bit of co ordination to get the door evenly up between two people.

---
Korbin does poorly at picking out the splinters, but luckily Neron is there to pick up the slack!

Mallorie just manages to sand the portcullis to satisfaction.

Noah drops what he's carrying and drops a hammer on his toe!

--
Noah needs to try help the mason again! (rolled a 1 >O>)
Everyone else, help Morgan lift up the wooden gate into the grooves! One person will need to help her with her half, then 2 for the other half!
No post order
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
NERON
One way or another, they were successful in their endeavours - Neron stepped back down to the ground and melted the ice as he went, letting the water run through the grooves already made from Morgan’s work earlier. Unfeeling of the cold if not necessarily that strong, he did go to join the Warden as she continued to instruct them. ”I’ve got it,” he said, though really that remained to be seen.

Grabbing the other side of the slab of wood, if all else failed Neron would be able to winch it up using his ice - something that was undoubtedly stronger than he was physically. Did he dare to meet Morgan’s eyes while they worked? Absolutely not - the Hailstorm might not have any use for his balls any more, but he still liked them attached to his body.

Neron helps Morgan!
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Change author:
Mallorie steps back, hands grazed, and thinks not bad. It’s not pretty but it’ll do both jobs of being solid and being pointy. Rubbing and flexing her fingers, she looks at the progress being made around her with a small, soft sensation of pride.

Morgan’s request spurs her into action again, joining the others at the large door; fingers still tingling from the cold, but enough sensation in them that she figures she’ll be able to lend a (literal) hand.

She might not have fancy magics or the bulging muscles, but she does have determination, and with that she grips a corner. She shoots a curious look at the man she now recognises, closer up, to be the one pointed out as the region’s former warden. Then, with a quiet huff, readjusts her hands.

Mallorie takes up a corner, is nosy.
MALLORIE
Noah Olson
the Forsaken
Hunter

Change author:

Noah had always been quite a selfless man. It often served him well. He had good relationships with people. He was well-liked among Snowcloak. He worked hard and lived a pretty decent life. Today, however, that selflessness seemed to have made the hunter hit a wall. Exhaustion hung on his bones like toddlers off a parent's leg. Dark circles had formed under his eyes this last season. Now, tools fell from his cold fingers and he fumbled around with them. He dared not look at the mason he attempted to help -- he knew the look he was surely receiving. Noah bit his lip and tried again to gather the tools he was asked to gather and move them to where they needed to be. A hammer fell from his grip and landed squarely on his foot. Normally, Noah might have been able to avoid it, but in his tired state it slammed hard down on him and he sucked in a thick breath.

The hunter grumbled and, with determination and a stubbornness that dice willing outweighed his exhaustion, pressed on. The mason directed him to place the tools, and Noah did so. He could tell the hesitation in the stone-worker's voice. "I've got this. Tell me what to do." Noah said, voice firm and reassuring despite how his foot throbbed in his foot. Delphine would take care of it later, he told himself, a confidence very much different than what he had before. Before her, he would just charge through the pain and do as little medical as he could. Now, however, he had a mage waiting for him at home, happy to use her magic to his benefit.

As the mason directed, Noah attempted to hold a large wedge in place so that the other man could begin to set the foundation for the gate.

--

NOAH TRIES AGAIN :D (Sorry for the wait, vacation + 16 hour work day yesterday killed me).

NOAH OLSON