[Open] Sea and Surf
Olavi Heskin
Bodyguard

Age: 41 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Buddy, you're a young man, hard man
Shouting in the street, gonna take on the world someday
Olavi had never been quite so glad to see the sun. After the week of absolute dark and boredom that had been Longnight, the weak and filtered Flowerbirth morning sun was like a gift. He had surfaced in the glittering ocean water far away from land and swum to the shore as morning exercise, easily gliding just under the surface for miles: eventually, he could see the colours of the Rainbow Road before him (though the mers had a different name for it, one that humans would not be able to pronounce).

He wasn't really one for sitting around and admiring nature, but his appreciation for the light drew him towards it. Nerissa had told him to be ready for their next plans soon and he would be, but he could probably afford a little time resting on the Ahi Coast: besides, maybe he could find a gift to take back to his beloved.

Sitting on the side of a rock with his tail in the water, Olavi picked through the stones in the shallow multicoloured pools around him: one nice enough could be taken to a smith for smoothing and making into a necklace or perhaps earrings for Nerissa, who always took care of her curated appearance.
You got blood on your face, you big disgrace
Olavi
Base Code by Sky!
Felix Calob

Age: 23 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: N/A - Strg: 15 - Dext: 7 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
and whatever happens please remember all the laughter, stitch it together kid, i know you better
He had been helping Zeph with putting out the bags of sand for ensuring protection during the season of storms. And while that had been fun and exciting and all of that, there was still a part of him that wanted to explore and find out what Torchline was like when the sun was still out. So by some small miracle, he’d managed to get Zephyr to come with him toward the Rainbow Road, to spy all the colorful rocks and things of that nature – what little creatures wiggled here and there when a rock moved or the water began to pull away with the winds.

But that’s not what catches his attention – no, there’s a man with a fish tail, and that’s far more interesting. He half ignores Zeph as he darts toward the merfolk, a wide grin spread across his face as he looks at the older man with the fish tail, recalling Zeph’s story of how they came about. “Hi, are you looking for treasure?” He asks, voice bright and chipper in comparison, an eager gleam to his gaze for an answer and needing one far more than anything else. “Y’know, because you can’t walk like you used to?” He adds in suddenly, an afterthought.
FELIX
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Zephyr

Felix has been working hard: harder than could be reasonably expected of a sixteen year old kid, and though you do your best not to show it you're pretty proud of the little shit. So when he wanders away toward the river you don't begrudge him the break, more than willing to finish the current section of bulwark and join him when it's done.

So you show up rather late, trailing behind him and wiping your hands on your pants. You can hear him asking questions of someone, his eager voice eliciting a chuckle from you as you shake your head. Prepared to ask for forgiveness of the stranger, you do not expect the thing you see.

A gods-damed Mer, chilling in the river, apparently looking for rocks.

Catching the tail-end of Felix's question (tail-end, get it?), you have to stifle a laugh. Without a word you come up behind the lad and lay a hand on his shoulder, looking expectantly at the merman with an expression carefully schooled.

never trust a survivor until you find out what he did to stay alive
Olavi Heskin
Bodyguard

Age: 41 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Olavi had half expected to be stopped by a human during his search, because humans were generally just nosy shits who couldn't leave well enough alone; he had not been expecting the question that Felix asked. He leaned up out of the water and against a rock, a frown immediately over his face that said 'what the fuck are you on about?'. He could see that this human was quite young, though after a moment an older man accompanied him (and did not correct his son (?), which was aggravating).

"I don't know what the fuck you've been hearing, but I could never walk and I don't intend to." He growled back, quite offended by the idea that it was something he was now lacking: he had no interest in exploring their boring surface world, thanks very much. "What I'm doing is my own godsdamn business. Hey,--" Olavi turned to look at Zeph. "Didn't you teach your kid not to ask strangers weird questions?"
Olavi
Base Code by Sky!
Felix Calob

Age: 23 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
and whatever happens please remember all the laughter, stitch it together kid, i know you better
For a moment, Felix keeps the grin on his face as his questions are aired. He doesn’t notice the way Olavi appears to not want company, doesn’t notice the way his questions might hit in a weird, strange, uncomfortable way. But that’s okay, because Zeph arrives, hand on Felix’s shoulder that has him shifting a bit as he stands by the rainbow road among the colorful rocks.

Olavi’s answer deflates the boy a small amount, browns furrowing slightly as he considers it. “Ancestors, maybe?” He supplies in the hope it might have Olavi remember the story Felix had been told, of when Merfolk could walk along land. But the rest of what Felix wishes to say, die on his tongue, brows furrowing as he listens to Olavi and the assumption that he looks anywhere near like he might be Zeph’s kid.

But then that playful boyish thought hits in his mind, glancing toward Zeph as well, wondering if perhaps they should pretend that he is Zeph’s son, if only for the sake of not having to explain. “I just wanted to know if you were looking for treasure. That’s not weird, is it?” A hint of a pout crosses his face, unsure.
FELIX
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Zephyr

Oh so he's a rude fishfucker, eh? Your grip on Felix's shoulder tightens protectively, though you catch yourself and release him quickly, arms crossing over your chest. Raising an eye questioningly at the merman you wait for him to answer the question, your body easily adapting a stance of come at me, I dare you.

Ohhhh, but now he's stepped right in it. At the mention of your kid you visibly bristle, any insult to your fatherhood a particularly sore spot. Expression still largely blank but for the expressive eyebrows, you reply as casually as you might have commented on the weather, "My kid's dead."

Before the mer has a chance to retort you quickly follow up. "But I taught 'im t'be curious an' ask questions. An'-" and here you turn to Felix, softening a little, "-that wantin' t'expand yer knowledge 'bout th'world is never weird."

Olavi Heskin
Bodyguard

Change author:
The teen before him seemed remarkably naive, apparently not even realising he was being insulted as he casually went on to clarify his questions, the only evidence he could be slightly upset the faintest touch of a pout on his lips. Olavi was about to tell him to fuck off again, hoping this time he might get the message, when his dad (?) finally spoke up.

Admittedly, he really hadn't expected 'my kid's dead'. "Well, he's looking pretty good for it." Olavi joked, waving a hand at Felix, not really understanding what the hell Zeph meant.

"All that crap about being curious and shit is great, but not when he's coming up to strangers and asking them ignorant crap like if I can't walk anymore." The last part was said in a mocking tone, Olavi's face flat and his eyes glaring at Felix. "But fine, let me fill you in. I'm not looking for treasure and all my ancestors have been Mer just like me. Not everyone needs to be like a fucking human."
Olavi
Base Code by Sky!
Felix Calob

Change author:
Oh, so they aren’t going to play the game. Got it. Felix sucks in a sharp breath as Zeph’s words ring out, only to have him start to frown at the merman, brows furrowing together at the implications. “He’s not my dad.” Felix grumps, arms moving to fold across his chest as he embodies the perfect huffy teenager.

At least he feels protected in a sense, having Zeph behind him even if the older man’s arm leaves his shoulder. Olavi’s answer only sparks more questions in the young man’s mind, more confusion glinting across two-toned eyes. But he recalls the end of Zeph’s story, of how either the Mers were cursed or fucked a fish, and he decides on the latter before it slips through his lips.

Okay, sorry, I didn’t know.” He really didn’t know it would be a sore spot, the least he could do was apologize.
FELIX
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
Zephyr

You aren't really sure what to do with the mer's misunderstanding: the whole scenario has made you a little uncomfortable what with your unresolved guilt around Ray dying and fondness for Felix but unwillingness to try and seem like you are acting like a dad to him especially since you're fucking his mom and okay, problems for future Zeph.

Right now the important thing is that this merman is being a dick to a kid who didn't know any better, and it's kind of your fault. Narrowing your eyes at the shark-fucker's tone, you again reach out to place a hand on the boy's shoulder, leaning in to whisper: "Definitely fucked a fish."

Straightening up you look back at the merman, a hard glint in your almond eyes. You might have snapped more or told him to fuck off, but it's the kid's first time meeting a merman and you already feel bad about it. So you sigh, then nod, making an offering of peace. "Let's start over. I'm Zeph, this's Felix. He ain't met a Mer before."

Olavi Heskin
Bodyguard

Change author:
"Alright, if you say so, but he's sure acting like it." Olavi responded, rolling his eyes: he couldn't tell if this was a genuine case of his mistaking their relationship or some oddly shared teen angst between Felix and Zeph. The crossed arms certainly seemed to fit the second answer and Olavi smirked just a little.

He seemed to accept Felix's apology, nodding his head and shrugging, though he heard Zeph mumble something about fucking fish and nearly dived away out of spite; didn't anyone teach the humans goddamn respect when they were growing up? As the offer to 'start over' came he found himself very tempted to ignore it, but finally sighed and nodded himself. Recently Olavi had noticed the influx of new people on the beach and had thought it would be good to familiarise himself with some of them for future deals. It was the kind of initiative that Nerissa liked to see.

"Yeah, I can fucking tell." Leaning back on a rock, Olavi let his tail swish in the water back and forth. "Name's Olavi. You've been here a long time, huh?" He asked, pointing at Zeph. "Used to see you hanging around with your girl, uh, brown hair...what happened with that?" Assuming he was only poking around some break up drama, he didn't feel too bad for asking; pointing then to Felix he asked: "But you're new. So where are you from?"
Olavi
Base Code by Sky!
Felix Calob

Change author:
He really hadn’t known any better, and he glances back toward Zeph for any sort of idea what he could do, to try and make the situation better. He can feel that it’s awkward, but without much of the social skills how to switch it around, he’s effectively useless. But Zeph’s hand is at his shoulder, and the whisper sparks a small snort, a small nod granted.

Definitely.

But his gaze slips back toward the merman, a hand raised to wave to him as he’s introduced. He makes no comment on the father section, Felix having not quite realized what a fatherly figure was like, that something like this would be portrayed as such. But then the Merman offers his name and it wipes all those thoughts from Felix’s mind as a wide grin spreads across his face. He doesn’t focus on the comment with Zeph, imagining that it’s likely they probably had some sort of contact with each other. As for the rest of it though? Where He’s from?

I live in the Greatwood!” He chimes easily. “Big trees everywhere and it’s really green. Torchline’s the first time I’ve seen an ocean!
FELIX
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
Zephyr

Yes, you've been here a long time, that much is obvious from your weathered cheeks and ashy hair. Rae's cock, is he just trying to push your buttons? If it weren't for Felix you might have some smart words to reply with as the mer brings up El, but as it is you swallow down the well of hurt and anger, keeping your voice calm. "She ain't around. Went on a swim in a storm." That should get the point across, while hopefully staying over Felix's head. "What about yers? Black haired mer, tentacled on th'bottom, if memory serves?"

One of the ones who was good for trading. Maybe this will wind up being a good business venture, and not just a weird chat with a fish.

Letting Felix continue his conversation for now, you go to grab another sandbag, slinging it over your shoulder. You're well within reach if anything goes awry, but the river isn't going to shore itself up, and you're still hoping to beat the storm.

Olavi Heskin
Bodyguard

Change author:
Olavi, for all of his brutish and brash nature, knew not to poke at the issue of someone's dead wife. Working out what Zeph meant quickly enough he widened his eyes and looked off, nodding as he accepted that answer. Sometimes, human bodies washed up by the Underwater City; morbidly he wondered if he had seen her (was that the kind of thing humans liked to know? He decided not to tell Zeph. He didn't want to see anyone crying today).

"Nerissa. She's fine." He said shortly, not wanting to give Zeph any chances to make cracks about his lover: if he did, he wouldn't be standing there much longer.

Felix's answer certainly seemed enthusiastic; Olavi raised his eyebrows, but it was interesting to hear about the Greatwood, somewhere he didn't have much chance of getting to any time soon. "We got big green trees here too. I hear in the Greatwood theres people with fuckin' wings, though, is that right?"
Olavi
Base Code by Sky!
Felix Calob

Change author:
Zephyr’s comment certainly goes over Felix’s head, thinking nothing of the fact that someone might have gone on a swim in a storm. So it’s passed over easily, Felix too focused on studying Olavi to actually understand what’s going on with the comments of the other mermaid (one he’d meet and absolutely scare the fuck out of himself with her interaction in the future), so he focuses instead on the subject of the Greatwood – not even noticing as Zephyr slips away from his side to grab more bags.

They’d already worked hard, after all, Felix’s muscles sore but his mind bright and open like a sponge to the information that Olavi might be willing to give.

People with wings however, have a grin spreading along the young man’s face. “Yeah!” He begins, dual toned eyes growing a bit wide. “They’re called the Fae. They have wings and can fly and are really short and can live a really long time!” He explains. “They also can have magic and shifts – Oh!” He trails off as an idea spreads through his mind. “Do you have shifts?
FELIX