on the wrong foot
Remi
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
raza
So not only did Remi not come by for a LongNight chat, there doesn’t seem to be any movement on that mutilated Ascended box thingy. Cool cool cool cool cool.

It’s all anyone’s talkin’ about at the Hanged Man, but at least the nightly crowds have subsided a bit, as everyone’s recoverin’ from the week of debauchery. Which is great, cause I need an excuse to close early for like, a month or so. It’s one’a those nights and I’ve sent Mik home early, closed up shop, and locked the door to the back room. Walking through the tunnel to the Governor’s House, I’m tryin’ not to simmer too much, pretty sure that the guy also said he’d come to me.

Fucker.

I kick the door on the other side a couple of times, secretly hoping that it’s loud enough to bring someone else to find out where the ruckus is comin’ from. It ain’t too late. Others might still be up.

Fiiiiine, maybe I'm more annoyed than I thought.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 100 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
REMI
the alchemist
Walk me home in the dead of night,
'Cause I can't be alone with all that's on my mind
It wasn't just because Raza was (presumably) the only one who knew about the tunnel that connected their two doors that Remi instinctively knew who it was banging on his side. He'd promised the Liason he'd pop by for a proper chat during LongNight when all was quiet and uneventful on their end, and he absolutely had done no such thing.

Opening the door and holding his hands up in obvious surrender, he backed up and gestured to one of the chairs that she might have a seat. "I know, I know. I said I'd come by. I'm sure you missed me terribly. Things...well.." Ruffling a hand through his curls and sighing heavily as he sat down in his chair, the Alchemist raised his pale stare to Raza and shrugged. "..I ended up going to the Hollowed Grounds for the latter part of LongNight." He said by way of both apology and explanation. Raza would likely care little, but he had said he'd seek her out. The least he might have done was send a note, not that he'd been thinking of anyone but himself and Ronin when he'd made the decision to leave.
So say you'll stay with me tonight.
'Cause there is so much wrong going on outside
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
raza
If he’s tryin’ to be cute, it ain’t working. I’m definitely not amused.

Shutting the door behind me with a little more force than needed, I decline to sit, crossing my arms and fixin’ him with a look. He seems stressed - about what? I don’t fuckin’ know - but it’s not comfortin’. Especially when he mentions he fucked off to a place filled with monsters for the latter half of LongNight. Okay, previous irritation put on the back burner, this one blows my mind. I stare at him with a meme-worthy ‘WTF’ look.

“So. Let me get this straight. I learn after the fact that Sunjata an’ the other guy went to deal wit’ the lava thing in th’ Fingers, you fucked off to a place filled wit’ killer monsters for - what? Fun?” I pause for a breath. “Was Ronin at least around, or did every Outlander on this council actually leave Haulani wi’out tellin’ me?”

If I wasn’t pissed before, I am now, my voice hissing and eyes narrowing in a rare display of something other than the usual ‘get the fuck out of my bar’ forcefulness. “What if Apopo had erupted again? What if whatever’s goin’ around threatenin’ Ascended had hit, or there was a riot?”
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
Raising a brow against Raza's ire, Remi continued to slouch against his chair. "You're the liason, if Sunjata and co went off to deal with something, sounds like that's a conversation to be had with your whispers." Whispers, birds, drunkards. However Raza got her information. At the mention of his adventure into the Hollowed Grounds, and that it might have been for fun had the Alchemist sitting up straighter in his chair. "I don't remember having to answer to you, Raza, about where I go and why." He said in a voice that sounded like gravel.

"Around? No. He was sent to the Hollowed Grounds by Safrin." The Alchemist clarified, rebounding Raza's annoyance right back at her. "As the one who is meant to be in the know Raza, sure sounds like it's you who deserves this attitude, not me." He pointed out.

"Then Torchline would have defended herself." Remi snapped back. "Just like she always has. You of all people don't get to say that Torchline's safety rests upon two Outlanders. Ronin was gone and I left for two days. You were here. Sunjata was here. Nate was here. The rest of Torchline was here."
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
raza
“I didn’t say our safety rested with you.” I bite back, stunned that he can’t see what his declaration of leadership entailed, what it looked like to have an Outlander as Governor who had tried to paint himself as one of us. “But that pretty little speech you made last year bragged about bein’ strong and fast and magical, so tell me how that ain’t meant to imply protectin’ an shit? Tell me how leavin’ an out’a commission burned man, ‘is one-eyed mess of a boyfriend, an’ me, pullin' sixteen hour days, wi’out so much as a note is doin’ what’s right for Torchline?” Whether or not we could handle it was beside the point. It’s his lack of forethought. His lack of respect.

An' since he seems to be implyin' that I should be omniscient. "Ye got Sunjata an' Nate fuckin' relationships up, Ronin hasn't done shit, an' you can't be bothered to check in." I scoff an' roll my eyes. Damn straight the rest of Torchline was here.

I turn an’ head towards the door, over this conversation, finishin’ as I open it. “You answer to Torchers an I’m more or less the one Torcher wit’ influence who’s on your side, you fuckin’ idiot. There are a lot more’a us than you. Figure yer priorities, learn ‘ow to fuckin’ communicate, or you might not ‘ave any whispers at all.” Might not be Governor, but I’ll save that threat for later.

Like that Ascended shit. Let ‘im deal with it himself an see what happens when Raza Ekambe starts throwing some rumors around.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
"Then what's the problem, Raza? I'm never allowed to leave? Plenty of other strong Torchers around, should anything have happened, so I'm not really sure what it is you're accusing me of here, other than not giving you the heads up first." Which, as per his previous comment, he wasn't convinced she was entitled to. But fine, have at it. "But I did go for mostly selfish reasons, so I'll own that. I never promised not to make any mistakes in that pretty campaign speech of mine, so feel free to hop right on off your soap box, Raza." He said, not at all backing down from what he still viewed as mostly baseless accusations.

'So you want me to do something about this mess with Jack?" Remi asked, a brow raised. "Fine."

Watching Raza stalk towards the door with a bit of a groan, wondering why she was so hasty to end the conversation when it clearly wasn't finished yet, Remi just shook his head. "So all of Torchline is furious at me then, because I left for two days and precisely nothing came of it? Or is it just you that's mad, because you didn't know about it ahead of time? Let's not muddy the waters here Raza. I've always respected you speaking plainly, but this is anything but." But if she wanted to continue leaving, Remi wouldn't stop her. Especially since the knowledge of the ascended-mutilation hadn't been broached, Raza's hot air could blow her all the way back to the bar for all Remi was concerned.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
raza
“Don’t put words in m’mouth, I didn’t say any’a that shit,” I snap back. He ain’t listenin’. An he’s actin’ like there are separate rules for himself than there are others, that there ain’t certain ways of doin’ things. He may not care - or be aware - of what his actions mean to others, but that don't mean it should continue. “Maybe you’ll understand this.” I turn an’ face him again, eyes flashing with contempt. “Don’t blow me off, don’t leave me in the dark, an’ have the godsdamn courtesy to listen when I say somethin’ ain’t right, because I probably know more’n you know an’ I’m rarely this angry.”

Honestly, it’s like the guy’s never dealt with a woman who knows what the fuck she’s talkin’ about and gets shit done. I pause for a moment to see what he’ll say, but I still got one foot out the door.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
"Then fucking say what you mean. Because it sure sounds like you're upset that I left, so unless that means I'm never allowed to leave, what's the godsdamn problem with it?" Other than him not telling her, which he already fucking asked about.

"I am listening. Maybe if you didn't come here all guns fucking blazing I'd understand what it is you're trying to say." He returned pointedly, giving very few fucks about the level of her anger because as it was, it wasn't doing anyone any fucking good just now.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you I was leaving. It wasn't...planned. I already said it was selfish and I"m happy to add stupid to that list as well." So saying, he nodded towards the chair she refused to sit in, before glancing back at her. "Now if you'll stop yelling at me, maybe we can actually get somewhere."
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
raza
And if he kept his appointments (or you know, actually made them), there wouldn’t be a lapse in understanding. I know I’m absolutely holdin’ him to higher standards than others, an’ I don’t care. He wanted to come in an’ lead Torchline, right? Well then better be a fucking paragon of leadership.

We clearly don’t need to talk about the thing in the Fingers any more, so that’s off the list. I s’pose there’s Sunjata and Nate to bitch about, but at this point I’d rather go to Jack first an’ see what he wants. Ignoring just about everythin’ else he said, I just jump right in. “Any idea who’s droppin’ off severed feet and notes about eradicatin’ the Ascended?” My arms stay crossed across my chest and I slowwwwwly meander towards the chair but still refuse to sit in it. Stubborn and petty seems to be the name of the game today.

“City’s in a roar about it.”
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
'What.' With eyes as pale as he had it wasn't as if they could darken significantly with anger. Still, as they narrowed and Remi's brows furrowed, the bright sea-glass green at least approached a heineken-colour that tried to seem abrasive.

"Details." He said, inviting more information as his jaw clenched feather the muscles in his cheeks. Much as he might have wanted to malign Raza burying the lead, the last thing he needed was her storming out and withholding such important information. Figure it out yourself, she'd probably say, and slam the door behind her. Raking his fingers through his curls and forcing his ego in check, Remi exhaled.

"Listen, I owe you for not stopping by during LongNight and for fucking off without saying anything. But can we table that until after..." He waved his hand, meaning this dismembered ascended shit.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
raza
“Aye.” I can agree to that. And move on.

My arms uncross as I exhale in the realization that he knows nothing. And I only know what I’ve seen and heard from imaginations runnin’ wild. “No one seems to know ‘ow the box got there, but it was in the middle of Haulani one mornin’. Inside was a pair of severed Ascended feet an’ a note in mixed handwritin. It said -” pausing to fish in a pocket, I pull out a piece of paper where I’d jotted down the most memorable phrases (or paraphrases) of the note. “- somethin’ about the Voice bein’ a ‘False Shepherd,’ called the Ascended ‘pawns,’ an’ told other Old God followers that there are those who seek to eradicate this infestation of unnatural creations. Annnn - that the Ascended will burn.”

I tap the piece of paper, having gotten it all, an’ return it to my pocket. It’s some heavy religious shit. We got a bit of that (what place doesn’t?) but most everyone I know is more into smugglin’ and themselves than heavy worship.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
For a long moment Remi said nothing. Maybe he was waiting for Raza to laugh and say it was all a joke for having not come to see her. Maybe it was just a prank. But with everything happening, all the seeds planted by Ludo and others in seasons past...he couldn't believe that it was.

"Fuck." He grunted unhappily, leaning forward and pressing a knuckle in between his eyes. "I take it we don't know whose feet they were? Or if...that ascended is still alive?" Presumably the answer was no—if they did, they'd have more information.

Exhaling and raising his gaze to his Liason, he chewed the inside of his lip for a moment. "Any ideas on how this should be handled? What does Torchline think about it?" It was so sunny that there weren't many ascended around. Maybe no one cared, or maybe they did.
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
raza
I shake my head, not knowin’ the answer to either of his questions, then remember a tidbit I’d heard at the bar.

“Dunno, but it ain’t the only Ascended attack. There was somethin’ in the Grounds, heard it at the bar. The Queen and an’ another are dead. But I don’t think that’s widely known yet.” I know I should probably be more… conscientious about deliverin’ that bit of news, with Remi bein’ from the Grounds and all. But I didn’t know ‘em. And this is work, it ain’t comfort at the bar time.

“We got some enthusiasts, nat’rally. Any excuse for violence.” I scoff. Mostly idiots who want a new target to beat on, other than their poor wives. “Some who are horrified an’ have never met an Ascended, so they don’t have any idea what’s so bad about 'em or what's goin’ on. Others are makin’ bets - but it sounds like most everyone agrees it ain’t from someone in Torchline.”

Which I, personally, agree with too. The writing was far too eloquent.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
"I heard." Remi said with a heavy sigh. He hadn't really...dealt with Rex's death yet. Hadn't even known her funeral had come and gone already. "That was...unintentional, from what I've been told." Sam's misguided efforts to help and Deimos's intentions might have gone awry, but he couldn't believe either man was properly to blame.

"Alright...alright.." Leaning back in his chair and pinching the bridge of his nose, Remi closed his eyes and called up memories of being blissfully too-warm in Ronin's arms that morning. "Any idea who has taken Rex's place, in the Grounds?" The Alchemist asked, opening his eyes again and looking 10 years older all of a sudden.

The mere thought of sending correspondence to the Grounders was one thing, but the Greatwood? After he'd killed Delah? And Halo, where for all he knew the Launceleyns were still in charge? The thought certainly didn't make him smile.