and another for good luck
for Jack
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 20 - Int:
HOA - Regular - Albino Granite Burmese Python
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 59
I’m still put out, still rubbed the wrong way by the Outlanders and I want someone else's ear or opinion or sympathy or cock. Whatever. Someone who is familiar and knows what I mean when I say it. Someone who gets me, at least most’a the time.

My face looks like the monsoons have come early - dark and stormy, and maybe a little conflicted or angsty. The docks are a whir of activity as ships leave port in the weeks post LongNight, so it takes me a bit longer than usual to reach the Ark. Standing on the pier with my arms crossed, I look at the ship, wonderin’ where its gonna go and how I’ve never really wanted to spend a great deal of time on the water. In it, yeah, but that’s entirely different. An’ though the last time I saw Jack he was a dick, a lot has happened and we got more important things to talk about.

I grab a crew member and ask them to see if Jack is on board, sure he’ll come out when he hears I’m here.
quid pro quo
ain't nothin in this life for free
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 7 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
SEVEN - Mythical - Sear Cat
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
The last time he and Raza had spoken Jack was a dick, it was true. Not something he’d never claimed to be, and so he left it there. Besides, she was right - a lot had happened since then, and so when a crew member came running, it didn’t take long for him to appear. Still bruised from his run-in with Nate, the captain headed down the gangplank to the docks a little more carefully than usual.

”Couldn’t resist a tearful private goodbye?” he drawled, taking the stick of peppermint bark from between his lips much like he would a cigarette (made a change from smoke and whiskey when everything hurt). Her face was like thunder, and Jack tilted his head. ”Oooh, somethin’ has riled you,” he said. ”What’d you need?”
are the angels on their way?
i’m in the dirt
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Age: 37 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
As Jack appears, I take one look at his bruise and laugh. “Not with that ugly mug lookin’ back at me,” He descends the gangplank and I resist the urge to take his fance in my hands and get a closer look at the healing an’ what kind of damage was done. Sure, the guy’s definitely gotten worse, but I don’t like bein’ reminded of his mortality. Crossin’ m’arms, I just nod and bit my lower lip instead. “The Gov’ner,” I answer, quieter than I’d been before. Lookin’ at Jack’s face again, I gotta ask, even though I know the answer. “His guys do this to ya?” It doesn’t really matter to me which one, just that they’re steppin’ in where they shouldn’t go.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
”I always like your compliments, Raza,” Jack said, putting a hand to his heart, ”they’re always so earnest.” He stood before her in a moment of silence, then, a wordless acceptance of the scrutiny he knew she wanted to make of him, though he appreciated her resisting the urge to touch or grab. Maybe later. Maybe when he got back - but it probably wouldn’t be the clinical sort of examination at that point

Eyebrows raising to hear that her problem was with everyone’s new best friend, the captain reached up to let his fingers press gingerly along the bruise to his jaw. ”Yes and no,” he said. ”The Arbiter’s handler doesn’t like when I ask ‘im to do his job properly,” he explained. ”Made it a little personal. Ain’t nothin’ that can’t be sorted, and it wasn’t on the Governor’s orders.” He shrugged. ”What’s your issue?”
i’m in the dirt
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
“Who’s gonna keep your ego in check if not me, huh?” I quip back, hands going playfully on my hips. The real answer is a lot of people, and one in particular seems to have gotten to him. The Arbiter’s handler… that must be Nate, his boyfriend or somethin’ like that. At least it wasn’t on the Gov’ner’s orders. Though their work is, by way of association and place on the council, sanctified by him. If Jack wants to sort it himself, that’s fine by me, but the knowledge of such an act will stay in the back’a my head.

“I don’t think he’s as focused on Torchline as ‘e says ‘e is.” Which should surprise no one. It’s a shit job if you’re trying to play both sides. He seemed tired. Moved by things larger than our little beach-side home. I lower my voice, putting into the air some thoughts that have only newly sprung up.If things went sideways while you were gone, who should I head to for help?” It’s a big if, but I meet his gaze with a kind of frankness that says a lot can happen in a season but also I'm just covering my ass.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
”Oh, there’s plenty,” Jack assured her, letting his hand drop away to rest in his pocket. ”But no one keeps my ego in check quite like you.” It wasn’t not a compliment; probably the closest thing Raza would get when it came to Jack, at least. Placing the stick of peppermint bark back between his teeth, he heard the Liaison out, ticking over what he knew, what he’d seen, heard, the way the rest of the Governor’s council had been acting.

”Are they ever?” he wondered, in quiet agreement with her assessment of the job - it was shit, but then again Remi had stood upon a platform and convinced them to throw their votes in with him. But then Raza asked the what-if equation, and Jack took a moment to consider it. It would be just his luck that shit would go belly up when he wasn’t around, so she as right - best to be prepared.

He reached into the pocket of his waistcoat, drawing out a slip of parchment and a pencil and gesturing for Raza to turn around so he could use her back to lean on and write. ”Zeph should be your first port of call. He’s gettin’ deep into this business with the Arbiter, an’ if I’m not around he’s the next best thing for knowin’ how to get around.” Though she’d already know that.
i’m in the dirt
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
I chuckle and look briefly t’one side. At least things were back to normal between us.

“No.” I shake my head in dismal reflection. “But he’s… got more’n the mind than the average person, and then whatever bein a demigod entails.” It could be easier, shit job or not. I’m convinced’a that, we just need the right person with the right allegiances - which is, of course, the problem. Turnin’ around, I tuck my chin to my chest and let Jack write whatever he’s writin’.

“Zeph was always on the list.” Either of us would be a fool t’make a move without talkin’ to him first. He’s got a good head on his shoulders an’ knows people in a different way than I do. “Was more or less askin’ about any others.” I’m literally the weakest link on the council, unless I can carry the sway of the people.

If, of course. If something happens.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
”Oh yes. How foolish of me to forget that Torchline’s been entrusted to a guy who’s in bed with the gods,” Jack murmured, setting the parchment against her back and starting to write in quick, practiced strokes; Raza would undoubtedly recognise the scratchings of a smuggler’s shorthand. All the better for this to be for her eyes only. Humming his agreement about Zeph - though she wouldn’t know just how much agreement - Jack breathed out a peppermint sigh.

”It’s a shame that most’ve the others are on the ship with me,” he muttered. ”But there’s enough in here that should give you decent sway. The Madame at the Halenani, Elias - a merchant - also good to get on side. Few of the mers too, but they’re hit and miss. All the details are in here.”. Jack finished up his note, but he didn’t yet step back.

”I know ‘bout those envelopes that Eloise gave you,” he said, his voice very soft and very low. ”Be a dear and burn ‘em, won’t you? They’re a laughable attempt at blackmail, an’ I’ve no intention of murderin’ my navigator while I’m out at sea.”
i’m in the dirt
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
His tone echoes my sentiments. How did we come to this? I wait while he scratches a note out, thinkin’ that it’s been too long since I’ve seen Elias, anyway, and should drop in on ‘im sometime soon. Delta might be a way into the mers, so I ain’t too worried about who an’ what an’ how now. I actually relax a bit, now that I seem to have backup if I need it.

“Great,” I say with a quick, relieved smile. This is all new territory, and to be honest, I fuckin’ hate change. Doesn’t mean I won’t rise ot the occasion, but fuck, man. I miss the simple life. Except as I turn around to take the paper, he holds it back and all of a sudden I’m frowning, confused. Just for a second, though - in all the shit that’s been goin’ on, I’d honestly forgotten about the envelopes Eloise gave me. Blackmail? For Jack?

I don’t doubt that he won’t kill her at sea, but it still begs the question what prompted El to do that? “What’dya do to make her try to do that?” I ask back, raisin’ an eyebrow. Didn’t seem like an El move, but then again I guess I don’t know the Outlander that well.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
They both hated change, so it was just as well that they could both get prepared for it should the worst happen. It didn’t seem so much like change when you could anticipate and plan in advance. Speaking of which, Jack stood back to look at Raza as she asked her question. Not an agreement, not a refusal to do what he had asked. He could understand needing more, especially given their relationship with one another.

”She tried to conduct a deal down in the Fingers outside the remits of the Ark. Got into fuckin’ trouble, nearly got herself killed an’ made a mark on my reputation. I had to deal with the fallout, an’ I had to make sure she knew the deal,” he said. ”She didn’t like that. Things have since smoothed out, but she’d sprung her trap long before then.” Shrugging, Jack folded the paper and handed it to Raza. ”So if they could disappear, I’d be sure to show my gratitude.”
i’m in the dirt
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
Jack delivers a perfectly adequate explanation that is both what I asked for and not, all at once. Of course he wouldn’t deliver details, we’ve always agreed that I don’t get details because it keeps me less culpable - but that doesn’t stop me from wanting details. Both of them were rather cagey about the whole thing and though I can well remember Eloise’s face when she came to me to hide the letters - the fact that he knows about them says something. So does our history. It’s been us an’ Zeph for years. Can’t turn my back on that, even for a hot lady.

“Consider it done.” An agreement because that’s how we roll. But first, I have to know something, even though it won’t make a difference to what I’m goin’ to do. “So the first time she was a mess, that was the deal. And the second time - that was you?” I ask quietly, lookin’ up at him. He knows how I feel about beatin’ women, but there’s a difference between crew and women, and where does that cross the line?
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
Jack tried not to show it, but it would be a lie to say there wasn’t some degree of relief in him at Raza’s confirmation - he’d never doubted it, but it was at least something he didn’t have to carry with him on board the Ark. He tilted his head at her follow up, though, having to think for a second before snorting out a laugh.

”Yes and no,” he said. ”No need to get your knickers in a twist. I was teachin’ her how to fight a bit,” he explained. ”Doesn’t really come without a few cuts and bruises. Wanted her to be able to handle herself if somethin’ happened like in the Fingers when I wasn’t around.”

Hopefully that would clear it up for her - Jack was no thug, not the type to dirty his own hands if he could help it, and Raza would know that. ”Anyway. There any souvenirs I can bring you back?” His smile was as crooked as they came - if she asked for anything, though, he’d probably try and get it.
i’m in the dirt
Raza Ekambe
Owner of the Hanged Man

Change author:
It might be amusin’ to him, but it ain’t that funny to me. Everything is plausible. Everything could be the truth. It also might not be. But why wouldn’t he want the smallest member’a his crew to be able to defend herself better? Navigators are valuable. It doesn’t make sense otherwise. On the other hand… how well do I really know him?

No. I opt for the easier notion - that it is, and this is Jack, an asshole, but an asshole who’s always had my back. “Okay,” I say with a little nod, reachin’ for the piece of paper.

“Come back in one piece,” I offer a little gruffly, realizin’ that for some reason, I’m a little more worried about the upcoming season. For both’a us, probably. Ah, but maybe that’s some weird motherin’ kicking in. “Somethin’ cool for the Hanged Man,” I decide on, leaving it very much up in the air. Me? I don’t need much. Except - “Or... an enchanted knife,” I say with a laugh, as if he could find such a thing. The reality is that I could use somethin’, but I don’t know exactly what, yet.
quid pro quo
RAZA
Base Code by Sky!
Jack Barclay
Captain of the Ark

Change author:
JACK
see me falling
yeah, down and lonely
How well indeed. Still, Raza gave her okay and he surrendered the paper to her safekeeping, hoping for what it was worth that she’d not need it. ”But if I come back in multiple pieces, there’s more of me to go ‘round,” he said with a crooked grin, though he’d be lying if he didn’t plan to take the order on board. Jack had gained enough bruises on shore, thanks. He’d like them to be his last until LongHeat.

”She doesn’t ask for much,” he drawled at Raza’s requests, tipping her a wink and nodding slowly nonetheless. ”Let me see what the waves bring us,” he says, leaning in to press a quick departing kiss to her cheek, all stubble with the scent of smoke and rum mixed in.

”I’ll see you soon, then.” Jack turns for the gangplank again, casting a wave over his shoulder without looking back. It was Jack’s way - he didn’t look back if he could help it.
i’m in the dirt