Beach Party
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
Pim and Branbast were...not enemies but certainly not friends. Their shared connection with Phoebe was all that kept them from being at odds at all times - the Madame being the emulsifier that somehow allowed oil and water to come together. However, certain circumstances made today special, and so the daring companion duo would have to traverse uncharted waters and work together without Phoebe to accomplish their goal.

But more importantly they needed thumbs. Enter the need for a third member of their committee.

Phoebe had left on a few errands and the two took the opportunity to find Harper. He would certainly be agreeable, Branbast thought, and if he wasn't, Pim would zap him. Really it was a fail proof plan. Upon finding him wherever he was at the Halenani, Branbast made the first move. "Harpeeeeeeeerrrrrrrr!" he called out, unable to help but purr his name as it was oh-so purrable. With the guard nicely distracted by the cat, Pim carefully maneuvered himself behind the man.

"Today, today is Phoebe day and Harpeeeeeerrrr will help prepare." Branbast said, tail flicking.
I can see your sad story eyes,
So how do you have no words to say
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9667
I carry all I need to grow inside - give me light, give me warmth
It's a relatively quiet day at the Halenani, not that Harper will ever complain about that. LongNight had been unexpectedly busy, and he'd not had the chance to simply have some time to himself not to mention visit with anyone who had been there. So he takes it where it's offered, relaxing back against the center beam that has become his unofficial post, giving him the best view of the ground floor. Of course he still tenses slightly in surprise at the odd, rumbling version of his name that is meowed out from his side. Turning, he smiles at Branbast, squatting to offer his palm if the cat desires it. So used to Pim's presence, he doesn't even register the odd creeping behavior from behind, far too friendly with both companions to consider either any sort of threat. "Hullo Bran. Phoebe day you say? Is it her birthday already?" Time had seemed to slip away from both of them with LongNight taking up their attention so fully. At least Harper had prepared her gift long before, never one to procrastinate. Knees comfortably pressing to his thighs, he tilts his head playfully to regard the cat. "What do you want to prepare?"
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe
Branbast rubbed his head against Harper's palm, slinking the full length of his body under it. Phoebe was the only one who could get away with giving the cat pets on her terms, otherwise he preferred to pet the people and not the other way around. "Already? Forgetful is man for the year he has passed." the cat said tail flicking with either amusement or impatience - truly it was hard to tell.

But Pim grumbled behind him indicating impatience was the most likely answer.

"Prepare what? Silly boy! In Torchline we roam the sand and play upon the shore." he purred as he sat oh so dramatically. "To get a different sort of wet, you might say, than the sort of wet people get here day by day." the cat added with a growly sort of laugh.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Change author:
Harper smiles indulgently at the sassy creature, firming his knuckles to allow Branbast to press and curl against and beneath them as desired. "It's true, men are quite forgetful. Good thing I already made my gift, huh?" Far from offended by the words, he chuckles instead, glad that it's already in his small bag that he carries around habitually because it's quite clear that neither Prim nor Branbast will allow him to dawdle.

Though he stands and blushes at the quite...dirty words that the cat speaks next. "Oh hush you dirty thing. That's certainly not a gift I can give her." Already trailing for the door, he pauses to gesture both of them onward, because Harper certainly doesn't know where Phoebe is right now. "Well let's go then!" Gift already in possession, there seems no reason to waste good sunlight.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Branbast merely purred and rubbed against Harper's legs at his question, the purr morphing into a strangled sort of laugh noise at his embarrassment. Such a foolish man - both he and Pim were brought to Phoebe by Frey. They did not shy from the physical realities of life as Harper tended to. "Won't not can't." the cat purred in amused protest.

But thankfully - if you asked Pim - Harper was ready to go quickly. As the trio stepped out the door, Phoebe returned from her errands, a full basket of goods in hand. Seeing Pim, Branbast, and Harper all apparently leaving though was quite the surprise. "Where are you and your ragtag crew off to?" Phoebe asked curiously, raising a brow at Harper.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper dutifully ignores the chimed response that comes from down by his ankles. He won't be taking age gap advice from a cat thank you very much, even if it does talk. Luckily it does nothing to dampen his mood, admittedly quite looking forward to a day out and away with Phoebe after the busy LongNight the Halenani had experienced.

Of course as soon as they walk out the door their target appears, and Harper grins and deftly slips the basket out of Phoebe's arms as he backtracks into the entryway once more. "It's a secret you see, but you have perfect timing because we're kidnapping you." Wiggling the basket at her as if to shoo her up the stairs, he peeks in briefly to determine where everything needs to be put away. "Go get your swimwear and meet us outside!" Staring her down until he sees her acquiesce, and only then moving to put away the items and regroup with the two troublemakers.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
"Kidnapping me?" Phoebe said in confused surprise. "Why?" she asked. But apparently she wasn't going to get an answer as Harper stared her down. Her...swimming suit? She eyes her companions who did nothing to help reveal whatever oddities were in store for her. So she simply sighed and gave in. Phoebe doubted whatever it was would be that awful anyways.

It took a few minutes but eventually she returned, a light, cover up style dress on over her swimsuit, hair tied up out of her way. In her arms she carried a bag with a few towels and skin ointments to protect against the sun. "So...were are going to the beach, I assume?" she asked.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
None of them are intent on ruining the surprise, and Harper merely grins and makes more shooing motions at her. "Less questioning, more changing." Waiting until she has disappeared from view to pack the basket anew with blankets, food, and of course his gift which is wrapped and hidden beneath it all. When Phoebe arrives laden with more, he offers the basket for her to place them in before shuffling them out the door with a grin.

"You're quite intent on ruining your own surprises," he teases when she asks yet again. His stomach squirms a little, Sunjata's voice ringing in his head, but as they leave the Halenani behind them he extends his hand in offering for her own, to hold onto as they walk. Harper already has an idea in mind for where to go - especially since Pim and Bran hadn't offered anything concrete - so he angles that way with the basket hooked upon his elbow.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
The Madame was perfectly content to place the things she had packed in the basket Harper held. Less work for her that way, though it made her all the more curious why he was going to such lengths. She took his hand, thinking nothing of it really. Phoebe knew better than to assume that it was a romantic gesture, just Harper being his friendly self.

"Well, we are in Torchline and you told me to put a swimsuit on. It might be a stretch but something tells me we aren't going to Halo dressed like this." she said with a light laugh. "But really what's the fuss all for?" she said with a grin. He didn't have to make it a secret to go to the beach.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Harper squeezes her hand lightly as they go walking down towards the beach, hands swinging with their easy steps. Though it's not the beautiful summer day Torchline is capable of, there's no rain in sight, and the clouds are present but not oppressive enough to swaddle their sun away from view.

"Cheeky," he teases with a little tug on her hand. But there's no point in hiding the reasoning for the trip at least, when the rest will continue to be a surprise. "Have you forgotten your own birthday in the business rush, Madame?" He wouldn't be surprised, LongNight had been hectic and even he had almost forgotten. Thus the visit from the companions. Eyeing the empty little cove he normally surfs in as they approach, he refrains from dragging her eagerly onward like an exuberant puppy just to get there faster. Nerves and celebrations alike jumbling in his stomach.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
She squeezed his hand back instinctively, still more focused on where they were headed and why than anything. Phoebe grinned as he called her cheeky but...it quickly turned into a look of confusion. Lashes fluttered as she blinked, counting the days in her head. "Oh!" she said, realizing it suddenly. "I suppose it is! I've not really celebrated it since coming so I guess I forgot." she admitted with a sheepish laugh. Something so trivial as a birthday seemed so unimportant in the last few years, she simply hadn't taken the time.

"Is that what this is all for? My birthday?" she said, grinning brightly. How very sweet of him! She glanced over at the cove, excited now herself. Swimming at the beach was fine but having an occassion made it even better.
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Her realization is amusing, Harper not bothering to conceal his laughter at her endearing surprise. "Well don't worry, the rest of us remembered on your behalf." She has been entrenched in getting the Halenani up and running, which he respects, but admittedly neither of them has allowed themselves time to take a break and breathe. "It is, happy birthday Phoebe," he murmurs with a warm look her way, squeezing her hand and bumping their shoulders together companionably. As they arrive in the cove - secluded, wrapped away from the harsher waves, with soft silt more than sand - Harper relinquishes her hand to set down the basket and begin setting up.

The blanket is laid out first, the basket pinning down the edge as he lays the towels out. There's shade from where the silt turns to rock and trees, and he positions them halfway in the sun and shade. The food is placed in the shade; fruits, bread, a few fun dips like chocolate and caramel. Harper strips his shirt off and tosses it into the basket, kicking his shoes off leaving him in just his swim shorts. Finally he plucks the present out of the bottom of the basket, presenting it with a shy grin to Phoebe. The wrapping is a soft shell pink, with silver ribbon. It hadn't been easy to find, but he hadn't minded supporting tucked away artists in the Port. "This is for you."

It's a long thin box, and when she opens it she'll find a dazzling new gown, clearly high quality just from looking at it, made to her measurements. Harper had admittedly stolen one of her dresses to bring to the seamstress, but he hadn't been caught so he considers it a win. On top of the dress is a necklace, and while not as masterfully made it had come from Harper's own hand. He had acquired the delicate golden chains from a shop, but had clasped them together into an upper arm draping creation studded with an opal stone in the centerpiece that he had found during his beach adventures. He prayed she would enjoy them, as he had wanted to give her something both meaningful and handmade, and something luxurious that she could use in her role as Madame.
and watch me come alive
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
Phoebe grinned and shrugged. But then another realization hit her and she released his hand so she could clap with excitement. "Oh! Oh this means I'm not a teenager anymore!" she said bouncing lightly with each step. Surely now that teen wasn't part of her age people would be less likely to use her age against her. "Thank you." she said with a giggle, taking his hand again when he wished her a good birthday.

But soon enough he paused at a spot in the sand and began to set up. She tried to help but only seemed to get in the way, so she stepped back and took off her cover up instead, wearing the pink, frilly bikini she had gotten to blend in with the less modest locals. When she looked back and saw the spread she was in shock - but before she could say anything he handed her a pretty paper covered box. "You even got me a present??" she said in surprise, but smiled. So thoughtful! She sat down on the blankets and carefully unwrapped it - she was the irritating sort of person that carefully removed wrapping so it could be used again. But when she opened the box she gasped, hands covering her mouth. "Harper!" she breathed, overcome with the finery sitting before her. Her hands moved from her mouth to her cheeks, staring agape at it. So taken aback was she that no words came. Finally she gently reached in and pulled out the drapey arm band, delicate yet bold. And rhe opal - opals and pearls were her favorite, had he known that? - was so perfect! She placed it on her lap before lifting the dress slightly, able to tell right away it was her size. "You must've spent a fortune! How did you....when??" she finally managed to stutter. As she looked up at him her eyes glistened. No one had ever given her such an extravagant gift before. "Are these really for me??"
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Change author:
Though her exuberance is adorable, it does dig itself into his mind like a burrowing creature, nudging at all the things he wants to say and do after the enlightening conversation with Sunjata. It only makes his nerves strum tight and discordant, though luckily it's easily concealed with so much to set up and distract himself with. It's not an anxiety that he wants to spread to Phoebe after all, not when it's his burden to bear and it's her celebration after all.

Instead he focuses on the nerves that come naturally, the anxiety every gift-giver feels when someone is opening their gift, wondering if they picked the right item. Phoebe's immediate reaction is a good sign at least, Harper grinning boyishly at her flustered and overwhelmed reaction. Consumed entirely by the widening of her eyes, the fluttering of her hands as she tries to understand what she's looking at. It makes it all worth it; the price, the sneaking around, the preparation. "A gift giver never tells," he sing-songs, chest bubbly and light with joy at her sincere reaction. "But yes, they're really for you. I made the arm band, so I know it's not as beautiful, but I found the opal and wanted to make something for you by hand." Automatically apologetic for the perceived imperfections it has in comparison to the masterfully made gown.

Moving closer he pulls her into his side - allowing her to keep looking at her gifts at her leisure - and hugs her close. "I'm glad you like them. It was worth every bit." What else did he have to spend money on? Harper is a simple, happy man, with few material wants. It doesn't bother him in the least to spoil her a little now. "Definitely don't take it swimming though," he adds cheekily, reminding her that there's still so much more to do.
and watch me come alive