i'm feelin' the strain, ain't it a shame
Zeph
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
REMI
the alchemist
& my heart ran away with me
Using the canals as a method of relaxation was a bit like having a picnic in the middle of one of Torchline's 'road's. Still, as with most things that happened in Torchline, everyone more or less just did whatever the fuck they wanted. If it was a problem, Remi would move.

Probably.

The sun was already high, the day threatening to be warmer than it should. If anything that was an ominous sign given the rains that would soon come. For now though there was nothing more than a light shower overhead that, if you tried hard enough, you could almost pretend wasn't there at all.

Shirtless, wearing a pair of swimming-shorts and sunglasses Seren had made for him, Remi sat upon the edge of one of the canals with what looked like a raft. It was tied to a post, and the Alchemist was just about to apparently try and sit himself upon it.
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
ZEPHYR
No promise sweeter than a blood pact
Nothing harder to go through with
than a vanishing act
Well here's something you don't see every day: the governor apparently planning to hold court in the middle of one of his nice little canals. You're half-tempted to try and cut the rope before he notices, send him sailing down towards the sea. It'd make for an amusing anecdote, and honestly you're surprised none of the local urchins have done it yet.

Instead you walk up with your hands in your pockets, whistling a shanty tune. You haven't actually spoken to the fellow one-on-one, and though it's something you're happy enough avoiding, you feel like you ought to properly meet the man about whom you've heard so much.

Dressed similarly in shorts and shades but with a white shirt covering your torso, you stop alongside the Alchemist, looking more at the raft than at him. "Af'ernoon, guv'ner. Enjoyin' yer hard work?" It's impossible to tell from your mild tone and impassive expression but you're trying to bait him, mischief and challenge glittering just beneath the calm facade.
Though you repent and don sackcloth
and try to make nice
You can’t cross the same river twice
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
" 'need your eyes checked if this looks like hard work to you." Remi chimed back without missing a beat. Glancing up to see a familiar-ish face (even if it was mostly obscured by sunglasses and beard), the Alchemist grinned as he turned back to his construction.

"The thought is...since the...well it isn't really a current but in a way it is, is flowing up towards the town—" Remi fumbled over the language, not really wanting to ascribe natural terms to something made by Safrin but not knowing how else to describe it. "—I thought mayhap I could...you know, do a tour of the canals from right here." So saying, he tapped the float with his foot.

"And if it takes a while, it takes a while." Holding up a bottle of something dark looking, he flashed another smile as he shook the bottle. "Care to join me?" There wasn't a ton of room, but nor were the canals particularly wide.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
ZEPHYR
than a vanishing act
You meant more the canals themselves than whatever he's getting up to, but the fellow seems to be in a good enough mood and you don't want much to argue. Honestly, you'll have whatever he's having if it can get your spirits up that high. The lad is practically giddy as he explains his floating plans, causing your old gruff heart to soften just a little.

Kneeling down, you place your fingers into the water, feeling the very gentle current. "Never known water't flow away from th'ocean," you remark. "Where's the end, anyway?" You look back up in time to see him extract a bottle of what can only be booze from somewhere, interest immediately flashing in your eyes before cooling right back down.

Straightening up again you eye the bottle and then the raft. It's a tempting offer, though your brows scrunch skeptically at the idea of both of you on the thing. "Sure it'll carry th'both'a us? I'd hate t'be responsible fer the governor drownin'." Or be the one drowned, you add to yourself, having heard enough stories to respect Remi's strength.
and try to make nice
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
"Doesn't make any sense, but then..." He trailed off, shrugging his shoulders. When Safrin was involved, Remi hardly expected things to make sense. Then again, he hadn't known she could just bend the laws of physics and nature, but whatever. "Apopo, if I had to guess. But I like my theories confirmed, hence all this." The Alchemist answered easily.

With a snort, Remi rolled his eyes and heaved himself over onto the wooden boards. The raft heaved, teetered, but remained afloat. "Lucky for you I can swim just fine. But hey, if you've something better to be doing, don't let me stop you." That said, Remi almost tauntingly unscrewed the bottle and then raised it to his lips. He made quite the show of enjoying the liquid as it drained down his throat, making the scar tissue that wrapped around his neck expand and contract.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
ZEPHYR
than a vanishing act
You recognize a taunt easily enough, often being the one to dish them out. And surprisingly the raft looks like it might stay afloat, even with the weight of an extra person. Of course, your stomach may have other ideas about whether or not this will be a fun excursion, but the canals are smooth as a baby's ass and under no stretch could this be called a boat.

So hey, fuck it, what the hell. Let's get to know the governor Tom Sawyer style.

"'Aite. Scoot." With practiced delicacy you lower your bulky ass onto the still-not-sinking raft, keeping your balance easily enough even as your stomach lurches. "We castin' off then, cap'n?" Not waiting for a reply you unhitch the rope, collecting it neatly into a coil and depositing it on the timber. You are a dock hand, after all: as much as your body may hate being aboard them, you know your way around a boat.

A solid push sends the pair of you into the middle of the canal, and just like that you're off, slowly beginning to crawl your way through town. Whether or not this was a stupid thing to agree to remains to be seen; for now you extend a hand for the bottle, intending to take a solid swig before common sense hits too hard.
and try to make nice
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
Scooting over, Remi glanced at Zeph's movements, noting his care and attention as he sat down. "Now, I'm going to assume you just don't want to upset our raft here...cause there sure isn't enough water here for you to be seasick." Remi quipped, nudging Zeph with his arm that was now more or less resting against Zeph's anyhow lest one of them wanted to hang over the side.

"Aye matey." Remi said with a roguish growl which sounded absolutely absurd given his accent.

Thinking at first Zeph meant to shake his hand as he reached across, Remi noted the way his eyes were fixed on the bottle, cluing him in. Handing it over with a grin, he turned to glance town into the water where soon light would begin glistening up from. "I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that Safrin left her mark on the canals. I suppose that'll make it harder for anyone to transport things unseen at night..." This was said entirely naively, but of course they both absolutely knew it wasn't. Not that Zeph needed the warning of course.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
ZEPHYR
than a vanishing act
For a minute you stiffen- no way Jack fuckin' told him about your seasickness, right? Scowling slightly you finish untying the raft, once again considering just leaving him there. Maybe steal the booze before you abandon ship.

But this is an opportunity to get to know the fucker better, and you really don't need to go about alienating even more of the new government. Gotta keep someone in your pocket, and it's clear the Arbiter is out.

You take a hearty swig from the bottle, relishing the burn of the liquor on your throat. Relinquishing the stem away from your lips, you offer it back with a grunt. "Probably," you agree, confident both of you know exactly what you're talking about. "Sure the mers appreciate 'em. Not sure what good they do th'rest'a us. Though this ain't bad." You shrug easily, dangling your feet over the edge of the raft and into the water. Not much benefit to your business, but at least they're pretty.

As long as the fuckers don't flood, you won't bitch.

Shoulder to shoulder with the younger man, you lean back on your palms, eyes still on the water ahead. "So been almost a year fer ya here, yeah? Any big celebratin' planned?"
and try to make nice
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
A younger Remi might have flinched. Might have teared up and let loose the entire ordeal that had brought him here: My daughter died in my arms and I tried to kill myself. See these scars? It's all from that. Then Safrin plucked Ronin and I up because he was about to destroy her temple and she couldn't let that happen, and tossed us here. So no, it isn't really worth celebrating no matter what came next.. Instead, he just held up a hand to catch a few softly falling droplets of rain and shook his head. "Nah." He replied, almost lazily. "Gotta deal with those ascended body parts and monsoon season."

Both of these subjects were leadingly offered, the Alchemist more than happy to hear the smuggler's thoughts if he had any to share.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
ZEPHYR
than a vanishing act
Oh, right. The chopped up fellow. That's a thing, you guess, that you probably ought to care about more, or at least get some information on. The last thing any of you need is a crazy murderer cutting people up. Already enough shit to keep an eye on, law enforcement included.

"Haven't figured out who the feet belong to, then?" You look down at your own feet as you ask, splashing your toes in the salty water. You're very happy with them staying just where they are, thanks all the same. "Woulda thought our illustrious armbiter'd be all over that by now. Fillin' his fancy jail with suspects an' the like."
and try to make nice
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
"Nope, not yet. I put out a call for anyone with body-part-identifying magics or items, but.." Remi held up his hands to indicate that no one had come forward. It had mostly been a joke but anything was possible he supposed.

"Mmmm well, Arbitoring aside, with Nate being an ascended I'd think he would have a special interest. That said, I doubt it's anyone from here. Doesn't strike me as the sort of thing a local would do—" No, that would involve being strung up or left out to rot on a boat and be eaten by birds or used as chum for sharks. "—as for Outlanders...no one mentioned it during one of our top-sekrit outlanders-only meetings." This was a joke of course, and he grinned over at Zeph for emphasis.

"Nah, I'll be meeting with the Leaders of Halo and the Hollowed Grounds. Greatwood too, if they care to join. Maru doesn't have much interest in what we do up here." Remi said with a shrug.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
ZEPHYR
than a vanishing act
"Ah, so the top-sekrit meetings are real." You do not match Remi for his smile, but your calm voice holds a hint of wryness that creases the corners of your eyes. It's a weird thing, floating languidly along shoulder-to-shoulder with a Ludo-blighted demigod/governor while he cracks a joke, but you've long since given up on clinging to any semblance of normal. Times they are a-changin'; better keep up, old man.

A meeting of the mind sounds very official. Snorting, you rise the bottle up again, taking a drink before offering it back to the Alchemist. "Sounds like a right nightmare. My condolences." Why the fuck anyone would want any part in government is far beyond your ken.
and try to make nice
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI
the alchemist
"Oh of course they are. We had a vote just last week about whether or not to assimilate or try and take over." He added, too breezily casual for it to be the truth. But then, there probably were some naturals who thought that very thing was likely on the horizon.

Taking the bottle and drinking from it, not once thinking about how the man he once was would have flushed to think of his lips on the glass so soon after another man's, just snorted. "Mine too. Luckily Neron seems to have stepped down and wonder of wonders, wasn't replaced by his brother. So I'm thankful for that."

Lazily the raft floated, and soon the pair were in Haulani proper. "If someone was clever, they'd set up little carts right here, with food and drink you could just grab." The Torchline version of food trucks. Gods, that sounded good.
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
ZEPHYR
than a vanishing act
"Can't say that means very much to me." Rolling your shoulders in a shrug, you lean back on your left elbow, not particularly bothered by your lack of knowledge where world politics are concerned. Let the rest of Caido do what it wants: all you care is that your islands are kept in some semblance of orderly disorder, and that your tunnels don't flood.

The idea of food carts is a truly fuckin' excellent one, your appreciation for it made very clear by a rumble in your stomach. "Shame neither'a us are clever men." This time you do smile, just a little, a low chuckle rumbling down in your throat.

The raft continues to meander slowly while sunlight cuts through heavy clouds. Still not looking over at Remi, you hum a soft note, your lips pursed. "I'll be havin' my own little get together soon. Nothin' so fancy as you, a'course, but my friends might be able t'get some information 'bout where your feet walked in from. They're resourceful like that." You don't ask what he'll give you for that information; that would be too obvious. This is a dance, after all. He either knows the steps or he doesn't.
and try to make nice