you don’t have to say it like that
Cian
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 21 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
FINN
the spyglass
I’ll take the long way ‘round
Finn has been doing his job. His research has taken him here, to the place they call Torchline - a paradise, he has been told, a place of silken sands and rolling salt waves. So far he has seen little more than garbage littering the beach and pouring rain. That’s fine, though - Finn likes the rain. He stands at the cliff edge near the lighthouse called Aumakua, the downpour pattering off the umbrella he holds above his head. He wears only a light coat in a dark colour, his stormy eyes turned away from the sea; it might be dull, but it is still warm.

Slowly, the Spyglass reaches up to adjust the glasses on his nose. He watches the ground around them, tracking rainbows of nothing visible only to his eyes. Cian, he knows, will arrive before long. Whether that is good or bad is something he will only know once the man is before him.
I’ll find my own way down
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Age: 40 | Height: 5' 9 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: / - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 19 - Int: 2
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
CIAN
the eye
Indeed he does arrive.

What Finn considers to be a put-together outfit, Cian might don haphazardly in the dead of the night when startled awake. Even then, everything he owns is a cut above whatever Finn can or bothers to afford. The Eye is not one for lingering looks, nothing so obvious as a disapproving stare at what the Spyglass chooses to wear, but no doubt it is something the researcher has picked up on. He's like that, after all. And even if he wasn't, Cian's disapproval is as loud as any silence might be.

Opening a stiff black umbrella, the Eye chooses to light a cigarette before making his way towards his counterpart. His movements are slow as if Cian has all the time in the world and not a single care within it. Neither could be farther from the truth of course.

"Finn." He calls out, dusty denim eyes obscured by smoke and rain. Cian speaks the Spyglass's name as if he's calling out to a dog who has one and only one chance to respond to the command before things escalate.
Finn Rosencrantz

Age: 36 | Height: 6’0 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
It takes longer than he imagines Cian would like for Finn to glance up - but he does glance up, as quick as he can given his focus on the ribbons of light and colour that tell of would-be-gods and magicians and demons. ”Yes,” he replies the affirmative, reaching beneath his glasses to rub at his eyes, blinking hard and turning to focus on the Eye.

”Sorry, I was— I— sorry. How was your trip?” Instantaneous and boring, he has no doubt, and Finn hates himself for asking no sooner had the words leave his lips. Clearing his throat, his hand moves to rub now at the back of his neck. ”Two demigods here. And the one called Sunjata.”
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Age: 40 | Height: 5' 9 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
CIAN
the eye
Cian doesn't exactly frown, indeed he does something much worse. He feigns a flicker of surprise, as if having finally given Finn some modicum of respect, only to have it instantly dashed by such a silly question. The expression fades in a heartbeat as Cian regards the sea. That is something he can appreciate. Something powerful, something that holds its secrets with predictable prowess. He takes a deep drag on his cigarette before acknowledging that Finn has spoken at all, and even then, it's just a distant nod.

"Who do they follow?" The Eye asks in a dry and dusty voice, expectation lacing the words. Thunder rumbles somewhere in the distance, and Cian finds himself taking in a long and deep breath of sea air.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
Finn’s lips part as if he wants to question Cian’s expression. As if maybe he wants something from it, needs something, before he’s shutting down again and turning back to the lighthouse and the grasses and the rain. They stay like that in silence, one facing the sea and one inland, until the Eye speaks again and Finn’s eyes narrow to examine something unseen. Inhaling deeply, he crouches down into the grass.

”One of them the Lady of the Stars. The other is the ragged god. Sunjata also seems touched by Safrin. So there’s one mystery solved.” He rises to his feet, pointing out into the distance, where rooftops peep beyond. ”The trails lead out there.”
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN
the eye
If Cian notices any of this (he does), he gives no indication. His eyes are on the waves, wondering at their orders of magnitude and amplitude. Marveling in their grace and power. Had he not such good control over his expression he might have frowned as Finn dropped to his knees.

'Lady of the Stars and the ragged god." Cian repeated on the inhale, turning away from the ocean with a great reluctance. "Careful now Finn, best not let your biases show through quite so easily." Lightly said, the words were a condemnation just the same. Oh, the Order could have their favourites among the gods of course. It was only human nature. Still, Cian expected much from those in the fold.

"The trails, ey?" Whether or not there were actual trails or if this was just Finn's special brand of madness Cian didn't know nor care. 'Well then.' Raising a hand and clapping Finn hard on the shoulder, the Eye began to stride forward. "Who will it be then, Finn ey? Safrin or Ludo? Or shall we flip to see who goes where?" Cian was never without a coin in his pocket, for precisely these moments.
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
Finn’s grip on the umbrella tightens as he is called out, the Spyglass staring directly at the ground and schooling his expression into something neutral before raising his gaze to Cian. ”I apologise. That is...” That is what its followers call it, he wants to say, but thinks better of it, swallowing hard. ”That is not professional of me.” Shaking it off, he ignores the remark about what he sees or does not see - the clap to his shoulder, though, is enough to jostle him and make him stumble a bit.

”I had assumed you were here to see the one touched by Frey,” he says softly, eyeing the coin with something like the cousin of suspicion. Having to pick up his face to follow after Cian, Finn steps into the grass away from the path, preferring to walk alongside it. ”We can flip on it, though.”
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN
the eye
That Finn says nothing in response, that Cian's 'friendly-gesture' is enough to upset his balance, seems to be what was desired, or at least expected. He lets the subject drop.

Though he can't see it, Cian walks through the misty-trails seen only by the Spyglass with utmost confidence and an unhurried pace. "That would leave both Ronin and Remi to you. Your report indicated they live together, so by all means..." The Eye's thumb slides over the face of the coin almost lovingly. A memory hidden upon its face, adoringly and reverently kept clean. Quickly, the coin is replaced into Cian's pocket. 'You just aren't normally one for crowds."d

Pausing, he glanced over his shoulder at the bumbling researcher. "Better a crowd than a brothel then, ey?"
Finn Rosencrantz

Change author:
FINN
the spyglass
Finn tucks one hand in his pocket, the other still holding onto the umbrella. He notices the way Cian covets the coin - Finn notices most things - and the way it disappears again, snuffing out the possibility of leaving it up to luck. This will be on wit, then.

”You know I am not,” he remarks about the crowds. To busy, too close. Too many variables. ”But a brothel would be even less preferable, it’s true.” And they are notorious for being quite crowded, too.

He glances at Cian out of the corner of his eye, at the rich darkness of the marks he leaves that cannot be seen by the naked eye. Marks that Finn follows like treasure maps. ”What of Dorian? Is he at the Grounds?”
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN
the eye
There are few Cian properly answers to, and even with those he does, the Eye is fully in control of how much he will ever bend to all that is demanded of him. He knows his breaking points and knows well what limits he can withstand. Finn's question is like a gnat near his ear; easily ignored and swatted away with the mere flash of his hand.

"Best of luck with Ronin and Remi, Finn." Cian calls out, not bothering to look over his shoulder as he continues on, his words ringing with finality. "I shall be at the brothel if you need me." Though Cian highly doubted Finn would come to the brothel even if he did need something. All those undulating bodies, sex waved before him, those precious glasses of his pulled from his face to make room for the press of too-large breasts...

No. He'd see the man back home unless something catestrophic came up.

~FIN